Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415161718192021222324 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: The Mandalorian Season 2

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Except it's mid-season in the show, not the end of the season.
    Spoiler
    Show
    So you expect this to have payoff in this show?

To take the inverse if they had revealed Maul in the middle of Solo - in the same context they did at the end - and then nothing else about him had appeared would that have been fine?

2. - Top - End - #422
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by dancrilis View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

To take the inverse if they had revealed Maul in the middle of Solo - in the same context they did at the end - and then nothing else about him had appeared would that have been fine?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yes, and no. The entire point of having it not-at-the-end is to build on it.
    Spoiler: Avatar by always-awesome Cuthalion
    Show
    Spoiler: Come down with fire
    Show
    Spoiler: Lift my spirit higher
    Show
    Spoiler: Someone's screaming my name
    Show
    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.

3. - Top - End - #423
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Yes, and no. The entire point of having it not-at-the-end is to build on it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I am not sure if that is:

Q: So you expect this to have payoff in this show?
    A: Yes
    Q: To take the inverse if they had revealed Maul in the middle of Solo - in the same context they did at the end - and then nothing else about him had appeared would that have been fine?
    A: No

Or if it is:
    Yes, and no = kindof.

Essentially assuming that this is not merely a name drop and will actually be built on I have no issue with Thrawn being mentioned (other then I don't think he is a good fit for this show).

But in that case watching Rebels (or The Clone Wars) should not be required and as such within the context she is presented here Ahsoka is effectively a survivor of Order 66 (much like Obi-Wan and Yoda) not a non-Jedi etc.

4. - Top - End - #424

Spoiler
    Show
    I am not sure if that is:

Q: So you expect this to have payoff in this show?
    A: Yes
    Q: To take the inverse if they had revealed Maul in the middle of Solo - in the same context they did at the end - and then nothing else about him had appeared would that have been fine?

Or if it is:
    Yes, and no = kindof.

Essentially assuming that this is not merely a name drop and will actually be built on I have no issue with Thrawn being mentioned (other then I don't think he is a good fit for this show).

But in that case watching Rebels (or The Clone Wars) should not be required and as such within the context she is presented here Ahsoka is effectively a survivor of Order 66 (much like Obi-Wan and Yoda) not a non-Jedi etc.
    First one. It's why I separated them by comma and then extrapolated a bit.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-12-02 at 08:50 AM.
    Show
    Show
    Show
    Show
    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.

5. - Top - End - #425
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Clertar View Post
    On the one hand, there's the conflict and falling out that Disney and Lucasfilm have had with Pedro Pascal, which can or could compromise the long term future of The Mandalorian as this space fantasy Lone Wolf and Cub we're getting. (...)
    Spoiler
    Show
    So I fear that what they'll do is have Mando killed sooner than later, and then Groggu will end up being raised by a Jedi.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Why kill him when you can "damage his voice" and have him never take a helmet off on screen again?

6. - Top - End - #426

I'll believe in the "conflict and falling out" between them when any actual action is done about it. I put little stock in baseless rumors.
    Show
    Show
    Show
    Show

7. - Top - End - #427
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler: payoff
    Show
    The "payoff"will likely be "I cannot train Grogu, Sabine and I are looking for a friend." It's a crossover episode, not a storyline merge.

Maul in Solo was a bit over the top, but I felt like it was setting up Shadows of the Empire, with Maul in Xizor's place, trying to (re)gain the Emperor's favor. Solo could be Dash.

8. - Top - End - #428
    Firbolg in the Playground

Originally Posted by Clertar
    Spoiler
    Show
    So I fear that what they'll do is have Mando killed sooner than later….
    Spoiler
    Show
    Despite random internet rumors, The Mandalorian remains extremely popular, so I doubt they’ll be killing off their centerpiece character anytime soon. “The Mandalorian’s Friends Raise Grogu” is a much less compelling series concept.

9. - Top - End - #429
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Clertar View Post
    On the one hand, there's the conflict and falling out that Disney and Lucasfilm have had with Pedro Pascal,
    I heard about that, but didn't get where that conflict come from?
    ------- 5E MM Resistances, Immunities, Vulnerabilities, and Damage. - - Petrocorus' Paladin Builds List. - - French vs. English

Quote Originally Posted by Sam K View Post
    Sun Tzu never had tier problems. If he had to deal with D&D, the Art of War would read "Full casters or GTFO".
    Quote Originally Posted by King Louis XIII in The Musketeers
    Common sense is for commoners, not for [ PC ].

10. - Top - End - #430
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Petrocorus View Post
    I heard about that, but didn't get where that conflict come from?
    Apparently due to not being able to show his face, however:
    I'll believe in the "conflict and falling out" between them when any actual action is done about it. I put little stock in baseless rumors.
    This is likely the correct way to view this.

First one. It's why I separated them by comma and then extrapolated a bit.
    That doesn't seem consistent:
    If the answer is 'No' and your issue with the presentation was that 'The entire point of having it not-at-the-end is to build on it', had it not been at the end then why would it have been a problem?
    Last edited by dancrilis; 2020-12-02 at 02:07 PM.

11. - Top - End - #431
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rakaydos View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Why kill him when you can "damage his voice" and have him never take a helmet off on screen again?
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Like the old proverb says, if one sees something not right, one must draw out his sword to intervene"

12. - Top - End - #432
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Despite random internet rumors, The Mandalorian remains extremely popular, so I doubt they’ll be killing off their centerpiece character anytime soon. “The Mandalorian’s Friends Raise Grogu” is a much less compelling series concept.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Din realises that the Jedi are fractured and/or have the potential to become Sith and bring ruin to the galaxy. He/Grogu decides that Grogu shouldn't be a Jedi, and so he formally adopts the Child as a Mandolorian Foundling.

Later, Din dies. We now follow the story of Grogu the Mandalorian Foundling as he grows up and avenges his 'father', learning the Way of the Mandalore for himself. The TV show gets to remain being called 'The Mandalorian' and follows the adventures of 'a Mandalorian'. Nothing has changed, it's fine, we planned this all along, honest....
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

13. - Top - End - #433
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Din realises that the Jedi are fractured and/or have the potential to become Sith and bring ruin to the galaxy. He/Grogu decides that Grogu shouldn't be a Jedi, and so he formally adopts the Child as a Mandolorian Foundling.

Later, Din dies. We now follow the story of Grogu the Mandalorian Foundling as he grows up and avenges his 'father', learning the Way of the Mandalore for himself. The TV show gets to remain being called 'The Mandalorian' and follows the adventures of 'a Mandalorian'. Nothing has changed, it's fine, we planned this all along, honest....
    Wouldn't that require a massive time-skip? Massive as in "Rey's hair has now gone full white."
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law

Forum Wisdom

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    the Vector Legion [is the IFCC's new pawns], mark my words. Way too much unfinished business there and they already know about the Gates.
    I'll take that bet.

14. - Top - End - #434
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rakaydos View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I kinda remember that Bryce Dallas Howard said in an interview that during the filming of her first episode (S01E04 IIRC) she never got Pascal on the set.
    ------- 5E MM Resistances, Immunities, Vulnerabilities, and Damage. - - Petrocorus' Paladin Builds List. - - French vs. English

Quote Originally Posted by Sam K View Post
    Sun Tzu never had tier problems. If he had to deal with D&D, the Art of War would read "Full casters or GTFO".
    Quote Originally Posted by King Louis XIII in The Musketeers
    Common sense is for commoners, not for [ PC ].

15. - Top - End - #435

Wouldn't that require a massive time-skip? Massive as in "Rey's hair has now gone full white."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not to mention that most people in the galaxy don't really see the difference between Jedi and Sith. They see the Magic Space Wizard Religion which sometimes fights among themselves. It's not like there's a PR department talking about the Sith.
    Show
    Show
    Show
    Show

16. - Top - End - #436
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Spoiler
    Show
    Not to mention that most people in the galaxy don't really see the difference between Jedi and Sith. They see the Magic Space Wizard Religion which sometimes fights among themselves. It's not like there's a PR department talking about the Sith.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Honestly, I kind of suspect that is where we're going with the next few episodes.

I expect it to go one of two ways - either Mando and Grogu get to Tython, hit the Seeing Stone, and the person who answers is a HUGE cameo from a super-important character, someone of equivalent reputation in the EU to Kyle Katarn or Quinlan Vos. Something big that the fandom will squee for.

Or they get there and the person who answers is a Sith, and we get a very tense episode where WE know that Grogu is being shepherded towards the Dark Side but Mando doesn't know what that is, and that's how the episode (series?) culminates; with Din realising that Force-Users are untrustworthy and fractured and is forced to realise his heritage as a slayer of force-users.

Wishful thinking, I know, but I'm really looking forward to the point where Mando more fully understands what he's gotten himself into, and what forces are vying for Grogu beside Gideon and the Empire. It'd be an interesting comparison what he has realised about the different clans of Mandalorians in earlier episodes - he thought that THEY were unified too and had to overcome his bias when he learned otherwise, and that the opposite would be true when/if he learns what a Sith is all about.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2020-12-03 at 03:14 AM.

17. - Top - End - #437
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    This is really only an Imperial and Post-Imperial period issue though. Periods where Sith Empires existed or Sith warlords rampaged across the galaxy made the difference quite clear. The Jedi Order is deeply flawed in many ways, but its not an army of rapacious pillagers in the way basically every Sith institution ever has been. This is in fact the genius of Darth Bane (he's in both versions of canon now); he brought the Sith into a position of ultimate power by making the galaxy forget about them. And, in the absence of the Sith threat, the Jedi Order also shrank, by a lot. The pre-Ruusan Jedi Order may well have had millions of members (seriously it doesn't take much of a decay rate to get you there with a thousand years to work with).

Also, it's important to be careful about 'most people in the galaxy' in terms of Star Wars. Most, meaning a majority of the overall population, of the people live in the Core and Colonies, and most of the rest live in the Inner Rim and the Expansion Region. The Outer Rim may be the largest galactic region, but it's lucky if it accounts for even 10% of the total population (and most of that is concentrated on a small number of highly populated worlds like Eriadu or Mon Calamari). The Mandalorian has very much an 'old west' vibe, and like actual 'Wild West' in the 19th century, the population of the remote regions is tiny compared to the cosmopolitan urban regions elsewhere. There are individual city blocks on Coruscant with more inhabitants than all the planets seen in the show put together.

The Core and Colonies population may not have any better information given the legacy of Imperial propaganda, but they do have more information.
    Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

18. - Top - End - #438
    Barbarian in the Playground

I for one hope that Revisionist Star Wars is soon coming to a close and we can go back to seeing the Jedi as a beacon of hope and inspiration. It always felt like lampshading to retro-fit cinematographic flaws in the prequel trilogy, and in any case it was blown up way too much.
    "Like the old proverb says, if one sees something not right, one must draw out his sword to intervene"

19. - Top - End - #439
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

So how will you react to who turns up if anyone does?

Spoiler
    Show
    The reason I'd like Mace Windu is because who wouldn't?!

So I assumed when Ahsoka said that she didn't send them there because of a seeing stone (on a world she knew as the birthplace of the Jedi Order), but because she knows there's a Jedi there already!

Who would hide on a world that has birthed and seen the death of god knows how many force users that kind of force nexus would be powerful enough to hide an elderly Jedi Master now wouldn't it?!

Sigh just wondering what if they mess this up?

Spoiler
    Show
    So ask Jon Favreau to give SLJ a call and ask could he pop down to the stage and maybe would he like a cameo in the new series but only ask him about the cameo when he pops in for a visit you know like George Lucas did?

Would SLJ keep his cameo quiet so no one except those present would know of his involvement and whoever is releasing those spoilers either has no idea or doesn't want to leak that?

No they'd leak it if they knew so either not happening or Jon Favreau has succeeded in something that would blow Ahsoka's appearance in this series out of the water!

So probably not going to happen... any word on Sebastian Stan or the actor who played Cal Kestis?
    Last edited by Hopeless; 2020-12-03 at 07:19 AM.

20. - Top - End - #440
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    I wouldn't.

When the Sith were effectively destroyed Darth Bane stood up, dusted himself and got to work rebuilding the order based on the reality of the situation he found himself in.

Yoda and Obi-Wan both effectively sulked in caves and hoped that everything would work out eventually - and even when Luke stepped up to try to fix things they tried to convince him to stay on the swamp with them for who knows how long - and they only did that because R2 found himself to the Lars farm otherwise it is possible that he would have lived on the farm for the rest of his life while Obi-Wan one day died in his cave.

We don't need to add another Jedi Council member to embrace the life of a crazy hermit.

21. - Top - End - #441
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Spoiler
    Show
    I am very, very quietly hoping that it's going to be Ewan McGregor as Obi-Wan Kenobi's force-ghost.

A few weeks ago, it was confirmed that the Obi-Wan Kenobi TV show will start production in March 2021 and it's being directed by Deborah Chow, who has also helmed some episodes of The Mandalorian.

It sounds too good to be true, but there's definite potential there for cross-promotion since the show has been confirmed as a thing but otherwise beset by development problems for ages - during the filming of Mandalorian for certain - but McGregor's return has never been disputed. He's the only actor in the world confirmed to be involved in a Star Wars project who hasn't already appeared in the Sequel Trilogy or The Mandalorian... Could it be?
    Last edited by Wraith; 2020-12-03 at 07:44 AM.

22. - Top - End - #442
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I am very, very quietly hoping that it's going to be Ewan McGregor as Obi-Wan Kenobi's force-ghost.

A few weeks ago, it was confirmed that the Obi-Wan Kenobi TV show will start production in March 2021 and it's being directed by Deborah Chow, who has also helmed some episodes of The Mandalorian.

It sounds too good to be true, but there's definite potential there for cross-promotion since the show has been confirmed as a thing but otherwise beset by development problems for ages - during the filming of Mandalorian for certain - but McGregor's return has never been disputed. He's the only actor in the world confirmed to be involved in a Star Wars project who hasn't already appeared in the Sequel Trilogy or The Mandalorian... Could it be?
    Now that would be a good reveal.
    I'm NOT going to criticise that after all
    Spoiler
    Show
    Rian's recent tweet demonstrates he still doesn't get it.
    But I hope they don't continue leaving the explanations for after the episode like the Magistrate being Dathomiran for example!
    Last edited by Hopeless; 2020-12-03 at 07:50 AM.

23. - Top - End - #443

Quote Originally Posted by Mechalich View Post
    This is really only an Imperial and Post-Imperial period issue though. Periods where Sith Empires existed or Sith warlords rampaged across the galaxy made the difference quite clear.
    Wanna know how I know you never played KOTOR and KOTOR II?

Spoiler
    Show
    *raises hand*
    Show
    Show
    Show
    Show

24. - Top - End - #444
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show

Forum Wisdom

the Vector Legion [is the IFCC's new pawns], mark my words. Way too much unfinished business there and they already know about the Gates.
    I'll take that bet.

25. - Top - End - #445

Spoiler
    Show
    Dammit I wish I'd thought of that.
    Show
    Show
    Show
    Show

26. - Top - End - #446
    Titan in the Playground

Dammit I wish I'd thought of that.
    Praise from the best!

And now, a glance into Fyraltari's thought process: "Hmm, these "no" gifs are pretty good, which one to chose? I should use a SW related one. Vader's big "nooooooo" should work. Wait wouldn't the bootleg version meme work even better? Yes, yes, it would."

Forum Wisdom

I'll take that bet.

27. - Top - End - #447
    Bugbear in the Playground

New character or nobody. The story's already drowning in its unnecessary cameos.

28. - Top - End - #448

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire Guard View Post
    New character or nobody. The story's already drowning in its unnecessary cameos.
    I wouldn't say drowning, but I agree with the sentiment.
    Show
    Show
    Show
    Show

29. - Top - End - #449
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire Guard View Post
    Agreed in principle - although I don't think I would mind Yaddle.

Mostly because apparently she left the council prior to Order 66 and she could explain about her species which might actually be more important then the whole Jedi thing.

30. - Top - End - #450
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Agreed in principle - although I don't think I would mind Yaddle.

Mostly because apparently she left the council prior to Order 66 and she could explain about her species which might actually be more important then the whole Jedi thing.
    I wouldn't mind just adding a 4th member of the species to the SW Canon instead.

Mostly though, I've just got my fingers crossed their home planet is referred to on-screen as Koozebane.