New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: The Mandalorian Season 2

Quote Originally Posted by Mechalich View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Non-force users fighting effectively in melee duels with Force users is a long-established fact of Star Wars by this point. Tolerance for it varies, but at this point it is just a thing that happens and we all have to roll with it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I like the way the FFG SW RPG handles it. Anyone can use a lightsaber, and attack and parry with it, but to reflect blaster bolts you need to have force sensitivity.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Petrocorus View Post
    C'est pas faux!
    No joke, Petrocorus, you don't know what "remember" means?
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    No joke, Petrocorus, you don't know what "remember" means?
    It has something to do with recovering a lost member?
    Que tous les anciens dieux et les nouveaux protègent la France.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam K View Post
    Sun Tzu never had tier problems. If he had to deal with D&D, the Art of War would read "Full casters or GTFO".
    Quote Originally Posted by King Louis XIII in The Musketeers
    Common sense is for commoners, not for [ PC ].

4. - Top - End - #364
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darzil View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I like the way the FFG SW RPG handles it. Anyone can use a lightsaber, and attack and parry with it, but to reflect blaster bolts you need to have force sensitivity.
    Spoiler: FFG Star Wars RPG
    Show
    It uses a different skill than a vibroweapon, so fighting expertise doesnt cary over from one to another, but a classic Taipani Noble can be an expert lightfoil user without being force sensitive. Human for the free rank at starting XP, Politico for the talent to make a skill not in your list a class skill.

5. - Top - End - #365
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rakaydos View Post
    Spoiler: FFG Star Wars RPG
    Show
    It uses a different skill than a vibroweapon, so fighting expertise doesnt cary over from one to another, but a classic Taipani Noble can be an expert lightfoil user without being force sensitive. Human for the free rank at starting XP, Politico for the talent to make a skill not in your list a class skill.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Still can't reflect. That talent requires force rating.

6. - Top - End - #366
    Titan in the Playground

It has something to do with recovering a lost member?
    No, it's everything that happens in the countryside.
    Forum Wisdom

7. - Top - End - #367
    Ogre in the Playground

No, it's everything that happens in the countryside.
    But do you believe that the very definition of the Mandalorian, and the critics it raises makes a ... dichotomy?
    Last edited by Petrocorus; 2020-11-28 at 03:15 PM.

Sun Tzu never had tier problems. If he had to deal with D&D, the Art of War would read "Full casters or GTFO".

8. - Top - End - #368
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

But do you believe that the very definition of the Mandalorian, and the critics it raises makes a ... dichotomy?
    I believe you mean a midi-chotomy.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

9. - Top - End - #369
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I believe you mean a midi-chotomy.
    I don't know that word, "midi-chotomy".
    This is what you get for getting in the middle of a quotation-train you have no knowledge of, Peelee.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2020-11-28 at 03:59 PM.

10. - Top - End - #370

I don't know that word, "midi-chotomy".
    Very bad joke combining dichotomy with midi-chlorians.
    This is what you get for getting in the middle of a quotation-train you have no knowledge of, Peelee.
    I would argue that midi-chotomies are what you get for getting having a quotation-train I have no knowledge of.

11. - Top - End - #371
    Titan in the Playground

Very bad joke combining dichotomy with midi-chlorians.

I would argue that midi-chotomies are what you get for getting having a quotation-train I have no knowledge of.
    No, that was part of... Oh, forget it.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2020-11-28 at 04:14 PM.

12. - Top - End - #372

Also, fun fact! They're only called midi-chlorians if the Jedi was born in the Midi-chloria region of Space-France. All other Jedi just have sparkling blood.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-11-28 at 04:16 PM.

13. - Top - End - #373
    Barbarian in the Playground

Spoiler: Here's a little something to help you remember
    Show
    Oh Put.... <er, censored, cussing is cussing, no matter what the language>... mdr! Never seen that, thanks!!!
    Last edited by Maelstrom; 2020-11-28 at 04:30 PM.

14. - Top - End - #374
    Titan in the Playground

Also, fun fact! They're only called midi-chlorians if the Jedi was born in the Midi-chloria region of Space-France.
    Except the younglings, they get midi-chlomy.
    Forum Wisdom

15. - Top - End - #375
    Ogre in the Playground

I would give my thoughts on the Ep, but I don't want to interrupt.

16. - Top - End - #376
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire Guard View Post
    I would give my thoughts on the Ep, but I don't want to interrupt.
    Don't mind us, go on. We can keep doing it even when you post.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2020-11-28 at 05:04 PM.
    Forum Wisdom

17. - Top - End - #377
    Ogre in the Playground

It appears I interrupted. Sorry.

Spoiler
    Show

It's okay. I think I'm going to go back to reading spoilers, though.

I'm one of those rare souls that goes 'oh no, not you' when Thrawn's name comes up, but sounds like setup for a spinoff. I don't think he'll be coming back in this show.

Interestingly, Ahsoka's stopped bothering to correct people that call her a Jedi. I was concerned they'd have her still be ranting about the failures of the Jedi thirty years later, but at least they didn't go that direction.

Wait...so Yodaling was just pretending to be a baby to keep himself safe, and has actually been trained at the Temple? That, um, changes the perspective on a lot of his actions.

Also, this means that Force healing is a thing Anakin could have learned, he didn't need to go to Sidious?

No one ever keeps their word to Mando. Frog lady sent him straight into a trap, Bo Katan signed him up for overtime in the small print, and Ahsoka agreed to train him and then said 'no, go here and put him on this rock'.

Kind of odd that Ahsoka is acting like his abilities will fade. He's already been using them, as long as he keeps wanting shiny things, he'll keep using them.

Feels like they had to write very carefully around the conversations to prevent too much clarity from happening too early.

It's an okay episode, nothing bad, but nothing that makes me sit up and pay attention.

18. - Top - End - #378

Oh no, you interrupted to talk about the show. Whatever shall I do?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thrawn is usually not a character, but rather a force to be overcome. He's not really different than the various computers in Star Trek TOS that controlled whatever various cultures or gave whatever various historical people far out in space superpowered.

Pellaeon is the actual character, and when I hear "Thrawn" I get damned excited for Pellaeon to appear. That guy is where it's at. Favorite character from Legends no contest. He was the model non-evil Imperial who was respected from both sides and brought the galaxy together.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-11-28 at 06:58 PM.

19. - Top - End - #379
    Ogre in the Playground

I too thought for a second he was in.
    But that's not for every one.
    "There's the chosen ones, and the others."

Also, fun fact! They're only called midi-chlorians if the Jedi was born in the Midi-chloria region of Space-France. All other Jedi just have sparkling blood.
    Especially since French Jedi born in Caerdydd, there're not that many.

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire Guard View Post
    It appears I interrupted. Sorry.
    Don't worry, we can go on for days.

Spoiler
    Show

Wait...so Yodaling was just pretending to be a baby to keep himself safe, and has actually been trained at the Temple? That, um, changes the perspective on a lot of his actions.
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's very difficult to establish an equivalence of development with human.
    If we simply go with 10 yoda years = 1 human years, then Yoda has died at about 90 (it quite fits) and Grogu is 5.
    Grogu being 5 seems to fit, at first, but not in everything. His mobility is more akin to that of a 3 years old (probably even less), his calm is much more akin to a (well disciplined) 7+ years old, his force ability are that of a teenage padawan when he actually applied himself, he doesn't seems to properly speak his own language nor any other, etc.
    Not to mention that would mean 150 years of childhood, quite a strain from an evolutionary PoV.

This species life cycle is certainly weird from our perspective. I would be surprise if their physical and mental development is dependant on their Force ability development to a degree, instead of the contrary.
    Last edited by Petrocorus; 2020-11-28 at 07:47 PM.

20. - Top - End - #380
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    It's very difficult to establish an equivalence of development with human.
    If we simply go with 10 yoda years = 1 human years, then Yoda has died at about 90 (it quite fits) and Grogu is 5.
    Grogu being 5 seems to fit, at first, but not in everything. His mobility is more akin to that of a 3 years old (probably even less), his calm is much more akin to a (well disciplined) 7+ years old, his force ability are that of a teenage padawan when he actually applied himself, he doesn't seems to properly speak his own language nor any other, etc.
    Not to mention that would mean 150 years of childhood, quite a strain from an evolutionary PoV.

This species life cycle is certainly weird from our perspective. I would be surprise if their physical and mental development is dependant on their Force ability development to a degree, instead of the contrary.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Aside from the Force abilities, Grogu functions in a fashion similar to a human toddler with slightly delayed speech development - a 3-4 year old who hasn't learned to talk yet. That would be unusual, though certainly not unheard of, in a human, but it might be the normal path for his species, especially if the Yoda species is less inherently social than humans and therefore naturally utilizes vocal communication less. I wouldn't actually say that Grogu is particularly calm. He's actually quite impulsive in terms of going after things that he wants or just wandering around randomly. It's more like he's less aggressive than a human of the same age is likely to be and also that he has a somewhat lower activity level. Both fit with the small size, long lived nature of his biology.

The Force abilities are a bit anomalous, but we do know that Grogu has a very high midichlorian count, so he's probably very naturally adept. Also, he might have been trained at the temple for over a decade, and even if limited to Initiate training that would amount to something.

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire Guard
    Spoiler
    Show
    Also, this means that Force healing is a thing Anakin could have learned, he didn't need to go to Sidious?
    Spoiler
    Show
    It actually doesn't really matter whether or not Force healing is a thing with regard to Anakin's fall. Padme didn't actually die from any sort of defined injury. She committed suicide out of sheer willpower because she refused to accept Anakin's actions ('lost the will to live' and all that). Anakin threw her against the shuttle and gave her a skull fracture and some internal bleeding or something similar, nothing the medical droids that delivered Luke and Leia couldn't have handled.

Anakin went to Sidious because he felt it was impossible to be honest with the Jedi. He wanted two contradictory things: to be the most famous and beloved Jedi in the galaxy and to be married to Padme (whether or not these things should be contradictory is highly contentious, but it was clearly understood by everyone involved at the time that a secret marriage represented grounds for expulsion from the Order). As a result he was unable to tell Yoda (or anyone else) the truth, Yoda misinterpreted his troubles and gave him the worst possible advice for his actual situation, and Sidious - who'd been cultivating Anakin's trust for years in anticipation of just this moment of conflict - simply sold Anakin a song and dance by playing on his fears.
    Last edited by Mechalich; 2020-11-28 at 08:40 PM.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

21. - Top - End - #381
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    It actually doesn't really matter whether or not Force healing is a thing with regard to Anakin's fall. Padme didn't actually die from any sort of defined injury. She committed suicide out of sheer willpower because she refused to accept Anakin's actions ('lost the will to live' and all that). Anakin threw her against the shuttle and gave her a skull fracture and some internal bleeding or something similar, nothing the medical droids that delivered Luke and Leia couldn't have handled.

Anakin went to Sidious because he felt it was impossible to be honest with the Jedi. He wanted two contradictory things: to be the most famous and beloved Jedi in the galaxy and to be married to Padme (whether or not these things should be contradictory is highly contentious, but it was clearly understood by everyone involved at the time that a secret marriage represented grounds for expulsion from the Order). As a result he was unable to tell Yoda (or anyone else) the truth, Yoda misinterpreted his troubles and gave him the worst possible advice for his actual situation, and Sidious - who'd been cultivating Anakin's trust for years in anticipation of just this moment of conflict - simply sold Anakin a song and dance by playing on his fears.
    Spoiler: Medical Droids dont understand the force
    Show
    Padme didnt "die of a broken heart." She died because the Sith Master pulled her life force out through her connection with Anakin, to revive his mortally wounded apprentice, Darth Vader. On waking up, he could still hear her screaming...

22. - Top - End - #382
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: Medical Droids dont understand the force
    Show
    Padme didnt "die of a broken heart." She died because the Sith Master pulled her life force out through her connection with Anakin, to revive his mortally wounded apprentice, Darth Vader. On waking up, he could still hear her screaming...
    Um...what? Padme very much 'died of a broken heart.' That's the official explanation in both versions of canon.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

23. - Top - End - #383

Um...what? Padme very much 'died of a broken heart.' That's the official explanation in both versions of canon.
    It's a fan theory. One that I like, because the canon is stupid, but a merely a fan-theory.

24. - Top - End - #384
    Ogre in the Playground

It's a fan theory. One that I like, because the canon is stupid, but a merely a fan-theory.
    Is there any example prior to TRoS of the Force being using in this kind of vampiric way?
    Was it at light-years of distance?

25. - Top - End - #385
    Ettin in the Playground

Is there any example prior to TRoS of the Force being using in this kind of vampiric way?
    Distance matters not- The force binds them together, stronger than most... and as Sidius explains in RotS, Dark masters can keep those they care about alive... but at a cost.
    Last edited by Rakaydos; 2020-11-28 at 11:10 PM.

26. - Top - End - #386
    Ettin in the Playground

Byss in old canon was a world where Emperor Palpatine drained the life of the inhabitants slowly.

27. - Top - End - #387
    Ogre in the Playground

Hello, I'd like to introduce you to this franchise called Starwars. Because if you wanna jump to fannon because the actual explination is stupid. Well You're gonna spend a long time on fanfiction.net.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Kekkersboy

My gaming and ideas channel.

28. - Top - End - #388
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Pellaeon is the actual character, and when I hear "Thrawn" I get damned excited for Pellaeon to appear. That guy is where it's at. Favorite character from Legends no contest. He was the model non-evil Imperial who was respected from both sides and brought the galaxy together.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pellaeon may not be a stereotypical vilain, but the dude still wears the Imperial uniform after the countless genocides and atrocities it commited, was perfectly willing to hand over infants to a madman so they could be raised as weapons, looks down on non-human species like the noghri and is space fascist. He doesn't get a pass just because there happens to be worst people around him.

Spoiler
    Show
    I wouldn't actually say that Grogu is particularly calm.
    Spoiler
    Show
    He literally never cries.

Distance matters not- The force binds them together, stronger than most... and as Sidius explains in RotS, Dark masters can keep those they care about alive... but at a cost.
    That's not what Sidious said.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2020-11-29 at 12:12 PM.

29. - Top - End - #389
    Ettin in the Playground

That's not what sidius said.
    "Ironic. He could save other from death, but not himself."

30. - Top - End - #390
    Titan in the Playground

"Ironic. He could save other from death, but not himself."
    He never said " he could save others... at a cost."