New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 41 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Mandalorian Season 2

It was a great start of the season. I hope we get to see the Marshall again.

Two mandalorian jetpacked flying around the monster and shooting it was a real visual treat.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by KatsOfLoathing View Post
    Hey, nice to see this thread getting a little traffic since I started it.

Spoiler: First Episode Impressions
    Show
    Like others have mentioned, the plot here is relatively simple but well-executed nonetheless. Space Cowboy Timothy Olyphant The Marshal was fun to hang out with for an episode, and I like how the series continues to add depth to the Tusken Raiders. The special effects budget has definitely jumped up some notches, too: The Krayt Dragon looks like something straight out of the movies, and many of the other aliens (both humanoid and not) look great as well. The Child doesn't really have anything to do except look cute and offer some reaction shots, but hopefully that'll change soon.

I appreciate how the series continues to sprinkle in plenty of references to previous SW properties without the in-your-face, pandering-to-nostalgia vibe I've gotten from a fair share of post-Disney output. Podracers! Vibroblades! Gamorreans! Boba Fett's armor! There were a few I didn't even get until the Internet filled me in, like the R5 droid.

And speaking of that last cameo/reference...

Maybe strike down my Star Wars cred, but I definitely didn't recognize the figure at the end to be Jango Fett's actor from the prequel trilogy. Some writers on the 'net were quick to identify him as Boba Fett, which is probably true, but I'm not trying to jump to conclusions. I'm guessing he'll be our recurring antagonist for the season, but I'm not really sure what gripe he has with the Mando at this point. Wanting his armor back seems like a weak motivation at best. Time will tell.

This was a fun episode, though I didn't feel like it advanced the story much from where we left off at the previous season finale. Hopefully the series won't be spinning its wheels for long, though as long as the high-quality sci-fi action continues I guess I can't mind too much.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I mean it is his fathers armour which he has worn since he watched his father get killed by a force user infront of him before that force user got saved by a little green alien, representing his connection to a culture which his father may or may have not been banished from which has a history of taking in orphans but apparently ignored him. There's afew ways they could go with it, could be Boba isnt particularly interested in the armour but gets into conflict with Mando in other ways. But I get the feeling Boba will be working for the empire guy so we'll get a nice Mando vs Mando show down set piece at some point during this series which means he's got to be in the armour at some point.

I also felt this episode was a big shout out to the KOTOR quest to kill a dragon, ambush outside a cave with mines and getting a pearl as your reward feels like it's straight from KOTOR. Albiet on a grander scale with a completely redesigned dragon. (Personally I like the older version, this one is abit generic sandworm but that's a very small gripe.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Spoiler
    Show
    When the Mandalorian helped the Marshal negotiate with the Tusken Raiders it felt like a repeat from the first season when the Mandalorian got help negotiating with the Jawas.

I guess that was Favreau's way of showing the Mandalorian learning from that situation and providing the Marshal the same advice he received.

A shame he took the armor with him was hoping like with Gina we might have a call back with the Mandalorian asking him for help later on this season.

I guess either Boba or Rex might fill that role instead perhaps?

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    When the Mandalorian helped the Marshal negotiate with the Tusken Raiders it felt like a repeat from the first season when the Mandalorian got help negotiating with the Jawas.

I guess that was Favreau's way of showing the Mandalorian learning from that situation and providing the Marshal the same advice he received.

A shame he took the armor with him was hoping like with Gina we might have a call back with the Mandalorian asking him for help later on this season.

I guess either Boba or Rex might fill that role instead perhaps?
    Mando is going to keep the armor until the overall plot advances. So I think it's obvious that the Marshall is perhaps teased to be given a refurbished Boba Fett armor when Mando needs to rally his friends for the finale.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Ya know, I gotta say, this comment aged really, really well:
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I'm actually more bothered by them changing Kenobi's krayt cry. It sounds so much worse in the current version on Disney +.
    ETA: Holy ****, that was barely 9 months ago?! This year has been one hell of a decade.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-11-01 at 10:27 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Ya know, I gotta say, this comment aged really, really well:

ETA: Holy ****, that was barely 9 months ago?! This year has been one hell of a decade.
    Well we now know who taught him to do that even if he's not as good as they are!

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

That was a nice episode, good to see something stand-alonish after last season's finale. I'm kind of confused as to what help Mando expects to get from other Mandalorians. Maybe he just wants to reconnect with his people as he' looking the same time as looking for the Jedi?

Also I love that he was surprised he could have missed another Mandalorian when he spent, like, two weeks on that very same planet.
    Quote Originally Posted by KatsOfLoathing View Post
    Hey, nice to see this thread getting a little traffic since I started it.

Spoiler: First Episode Impressions
    Show
    Like others have mentioned, the plot here is relatively simple but well-executed nonetheless. Space Cowboy Timothy Olyphant The Marshal was fun to hang out with for an episode, and I like how the series continues to add depth to the Tusken Raiders. The special effects budget has definitely jumped up some notches, too: The Krayt Dragon looks like something straight out of the movies, and many of the other aliens (both humanoid and not) look great as well. The Child doesn't really have anything to do except look cute and offer some reaction shots, but hopefully that'll change soon.

I appreciate how the series continues to sprinkle in plenty of references to previous SW properties without the in-your-face, pandering-to-nostalgia vibe I've gotten from a fair share of post-Disney output. Podracers! Vibroblades! Gamorreans! Boba Fett's armor! There were a few I didn't even get until the Internet filled me in, like the R5 droid.

And speaking of that last cameo/reference...

Maybe strike down my Star Wars cred, but I definitely didn't recognize the figure at the end to be Jango Fett's actor from the prequel trilogy. Some writers on the 'net were quick to identify him as Boba Fett, which is probably true, but I'm not trying to jump to conclusions. I'm guessing he'll be our recurring antagonist for the season, but I'm not really sure what gripe he has with the Mando at this point. Wanting his armor back seems like a weak motivation at best. Time will tell.

This was a fun episode, though I didn't feel like it advanced the story much from where we left off at the previous season finale. Hopefully the series won't be spinning its wheels for long, though as long as the high-quality sci-fi action continues I guess I can't mind too much.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I hope it's jsut a cameo I don't really see what Bobba would bring to the show, but who knows.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    That was a nice episode, good to see something stand-alonish after last season's finale. I'm kind of confused as to what help Mando expects to get from other Mandalorians. Maybe he just wants to reconnect with his people as he' looking the same time as looking for the Jedi?
    He isn't looking for the Jedi exactly - he is looking for the child's people who from what he knows were a group of sorcerers who the mandalorians fought way back when.
    His plan seems to be find them and find out what they know about these sorcerers so he can drop off the child with its people.
    Last edited by dancrilis; 2020-11-02 at 01:24 PM.

9. - Top - End - #39

Also I love that he was surprised he could have missed another Mandalorian when he spent, like, two weeks on that very same planet.
    He knows how to speak to the Sand People, along with their customs and beliefs. There's a good chance he spent more than two weeks there that we don't know of yet.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

He knows how to speak to the Sand People, along with their customs and beliefs. There's a good chance he spent more than two weeks there that we don't know of yet.
    He could have spent his entire life there, that wouldn't have made his reaction any more logical.
    Forum Wisdom

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

Given how people react to meeting Mandos, he could expect to have heard about them.

If there are any bounties on Mandalorians, which there probably are, he ought to get one of those tracking thingies from season 1.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ettin in the Playground

He could have spent his entire life there, that wouldn't have made his reaction any more logical.
    Depends on how Mandalorians are viewed.

For instance if you meet a 9 meter tall shark man chances are you would remember it - that being the case the next time you meet one you might mention it to them 'ah one of you, another of your kind lives nearby, friend of yours?'.

If Mandalorians are viewed as 'the ultimate warrior' then one might expect to hear about another 'ultimate warrior' fairly quickly if the other one is not being stealthy.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire Guard View Post
    Given how people react to meeting Mandos, he could expect to have heard about them.
    On a town or city scale I'd agree but on the entire planet?
    Forum Wisdom

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

How densely populated is Tattooine? Given their water issues, there may not be that many settlements.

It may be a reach, it really depends (I haven't seen the episode).

15. - Top - End - #45

Eh, I disagree.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

I have a hard time wrapping my mind around this. Like, planets are huge, a guy in mandalorian armour openly walking around would create gossip in their area, sure but to expect that the entire planet would be talking about it is just weird.
    Forum Wisdom

17. - Top - End - #47

I have a hard time wrapping my mind around this. Like, planets are huge, a guy in mandalorian armour openly walking around would create gossip in their area, sure but to expect that the entire planet would be talking about it is just weird.
    Habitable planets are also biodiverse but we have Desert Planet and Forest Planet and so on and so on. Odd hill to die on, as far as the Star Wars universe is concerned.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

Habitable planets are also biodiverse but we have Desert Planet and Forest Planet and so on and so on. Odd hill to die on, as far as the Star Wars universe is concerned.
    The single habitable planet that we happen to live on is biodiverse, but that's a sample size of one. It is perfectly reasonable for single biome planets to exist, and in fact planetology predicts that they should exist (and at various times in the past Earth itself has been significantly less diverse in terms of biomes). Desert planets, in particular, are almost certainly a thing and may in fact be very common.

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire Guard
    How densely populated is Tatooine? Given their water issues, there may not be that many settlements.
    The official population figure is 200,000, which is less populous than the average US county. This number is almost certainly too low, and the best workaround is that it refers only to the non-native population and not the total number of Jawas and Sand People but even those numbers are probably single digit millions at best. Huge portions of Tatooine, the majority of the planet even, consist of nothing but empty desert full of sand with no people at all.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

Habitable planets are also biodiverse but we have Desert Planet and Forest Planet and so on and so on.
    I'm not sure where you are going with this?
    Odd hill to die on, as far as the Star Wars universe is concerned.
    You know what? You're right, I think that this is a new personal record for less consequential bit of SW trivia I've argued. Let's drop the subject.

I wonder if the Marshall will try finding a replacement armour, though.
    Forum Wisdom

20. - Top - End - #50

My money is on the Marshal returning later, but becoming an actual Mandalorian. Dude is very skilled, honorable, has no qualms about deadly situations, he's a perfect Mando candidate. If Din can't find more Mandalorians, then he can make some.

Wouldn't help his quest with the Child, but I want that to happen regardless. The Marshal was too badass to be abandoned by the storyline.

I'm not counting his appearances in the Aftermath books, because they suck.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-11-02 at 06:28 PM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

My money is on the Marshal returning later, but becoming an actual Mandalorian. Dude is very skilled, honorable, has no qualms about deadly situations, he's a perfect Mando candidate. If Din can't find more Mandalorians, then he can make some.
    While I can see why Din would find the idea appealing I'm not sure why the Marshall would.

Well, beside getting another armour, of course.

Wouldn't help his quest with the Child, but I want that to happen regardless. The Marshal was too badass to be abandoned by the storyline.
    Oh, he's definitely coming back in the finale or something to shoot at imperials, that's for sure.

I'm not counting his appearances in the Aftermath books, because they suck.
    By the way, I didn't check yet but does this episode's and the first book's story about how he came by the armour match? I think I remember another guy.
    Forum Wisdom

22. - Top - End - #52

While I can see why Din would find the idea appealing I'm not sure why the Marshall would.

Well, beside getting another armour, of course.
    Networking is always nice. S1E3's ending showed a good reason why one might want to join the ranks of the Mandalorians, for example.
    By the way, I didn't check yet but does this episode's and the first book's story about how he came by the armour match? I think I remember another guy.
    More or less. Like, roughly "yes", but there's some inconsistencies. The best explanations I've seen so far have been that he took valid liberties telling the story. And I hate those books enough to not bother checking exactly what the differences were, really.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

Networking is always nice. S1E3's ending showed a good reason why one might want to join the ranks of the Mandalorians, for example.
    I feel the need to point out that all those people died with our protagonist as an exception.
    But most importantly, wouldn't that require him to abandon the life he already has and adhere to a code he wasn't raised in? I can't imagine he'd be overjoyed with the whole "never show your face" business to begin with.

More or less. Like, roughly "yes", but there's some inconsistencies. The best explanations I've seen so far have been that he took valid liberties telling the story. And I hate those books enough to not bother checking exactly what the differences were, really.
    Fair enough.
    Forum Wisdom

24. - Top - End - #54

I feel the need to point out that all those people died with our protagonist as an exception.
    Not in Episode 3 they didn't. They got wiped out by the Imperial Remnant (gonna stick with that name til we get an official one in the show), who may have found out they were there because of that display, but may have already known. And it's not like the Empire has any love on Tatooine.
    But most importantly, wouldn't that require him to abandon the life he already has and adhere to a code he wasn't raised in?
    Why would he need to abandon the life he already has?

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

Not in Episode 3 they didn't. They got wiped out by the Imperial Remnant (gonna stick with that name til we get an official one in the show), who may have found out they were there because of that display, but may have already known. And it's not like the Empire has any love on Tatooine.
    I thought the implication was that the Imperials found them because of the display. It'd be an odd coincidence if it wasn't at the very least.

Why would he need to abandon the life he already has?
    Well, the Mandalorians aren't exactly a chess club, are they? Being adopted into a new people generally means a rather important shift in lifestyle. As in living with a community of said people.
    Forum Wisdom

26. - Top - End - #56

I thought the implication was that the Imperials found them because of the display. It'd be an odd coincidence if it wasn't at the very least.
    The Client didn't really have much of a presence on that planet. Gideon certainly did, but he didn't come until well after, so I would argue that it wasn't terribly coincidental at all. And that if Mando didn't have the Child, even with that display they would probably still be alive.
    Well, the Mandalorians aren't exactly a chess club, are they? Being adopted into a new people generally means a rather important shift in lifestyle. As in living with a community of said people.
    Din didn't question that a Mandalorian would be alone on Tatooine. He simply questioned that he didn't already know of a Mandalorian on Tatooine despite spending time there.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: what happened in Aftermath, courtesy of my old thread
    Show

Interlude: Tattooine

Jawas stink. Admin Charu, representing a mining company, is not best pleased to learn this. He's trying to get the Jawas to let him see their best merchandice, but they're ignoring him until a nice friendly man nearby decides to help out. Jawas don't sell their best gear to strangers, but the nice friendly man is prepared to vouch for him. Not even a charge, he's just a nice friendly man with no ulterior motives. The nice friendly man -Cobb Vanth, or so he says- follows Charu into the back room, where he discovers a complete set of Mandalorian armour. Cobb reintroduces himself as Sheriff Vance and proves faster on the draw than the mining company rep. Surprising. Cobb has decided to become a lawman and tells the mining rep with the newly wounded shoulder the lay of the land. The New Republic won't tolerate big corporate barons and slavers anymore...

Wow, Vance, you're in for some rough years ahead.
    Bonus points

Hey, do you know of any work that continues the
    Spoiler
    Show
    Tatooine interlude with Bobba’s Armor and the prospective vigilante who gets it?

Or are they saving it for later?
    Not offhand; at a guess, they may touch on it in The Mandalorian, but honestly I'd be surprised if they did.

28. - Top - End - #58

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire Guard View Post
    Spoiler: what happened in Aftermath, courtesy of my old thread
    Show
    Bonus points
    Hey, do you know of any work that continues the
    Spoiler
    Show
    Tatooine interlude with Bobba’s Armor and the prospective vigilante who gets it?

Or are they saving it for later?
    Not offhand; at a guess, they may touch on it in The Mandalorian, but honestly I'd be surprised if they did.
    You'll be pleased to know that I was, in fact, surprised.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-11-02 at 07:42 PM.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

The Client didn't really have much of a presence on that planet. Gideon certainly did, but he didn't come until well after, so I would argue that it wasn't terribly coincidental at all. And that if Mando didn't have the Child, even with that display they would probably still be alive.
    But that's the thing isn't it? They died because of their connection to Mando so while "networking" helped him it really didn't help them.

Din didn't question that a Mandalorian would be alone on Tatooine. He simply questioned that he didn't already know of a Mandalorian on Tatooine despite spending time there.
    I don't see what this has to do with the question of Cobb Vanth becoming a Mandalorian.

Let's put this another way, when you said the Marshall would become an actual Mandalorian, what did you mean exactly by that? What would change in his life in positive and in negative?
    Forum Wisdom

30. - Top - End - #60

But that's the thing isn't it? They died because of their connection to Mando so while "networking" helped him it really didn't help them.
    Similarly, every empire ever has fallen eventually, so civilizations are a bad idea and we should stop forming them.

You sound like Luke from TLJ.