New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 41 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526272829303132 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: The Mandalorian Season 2

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Have I forgetten anything?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yes - where's Castiel!?

Seriously though, I'm going to watch it again after work this evening. Probably more than once, in fact. There's so much I loved about the episode that I'm going to be reliving it for weeks at least.

Also I've discovered my new (second) favourite thing - watching reaction videos of Chapter 16 on YouTube and seeing people burst into joyous tears around the 40 minute mark.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2020-12-18 at 10:01 AM.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

2. - Top - End - #632
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    Absolutely perfect…until the very end.

Spoiler
    Show
    As soon as I saw the green lightsaber, I was thinking, “Please don’t be Luke, please don’t be Luke.” Alas, my hopes were shattered.

I mean, Luke has already made his exit, and I was really hoping we would get to meet a Jedi who, you know, wasn’t Luke. I have nothing against Luke, but it was eerie to see him like this, and now Grogu’s story is constrained by Luke’s. A new Jedi would’ve given us infinite possibilities, but I feel like this just ties it down.

Apart from that, I loved it. Finally good tactics from the Mandalorians, using their jetpacks to enfilade a formation of stormtroopers. Great fight with Moff Gideon (apparently the darksaber runs a little hot compared with typical lightsabers) and I loved his look of fear at the end when he realized an actual Jedi was coming for him.

And, a nice bit of character development for Mando, when he takes off his helmet at the very end. He’s taken his first step into a larger world, or at least outside the comfort zone of his secret sect’s philosophy.

So all in all, an excellent conclusion to the season, and the post-credits scene was priceless. Did we know about the Book of Boba Fett before today? Because offhand I don’t recall it being mentioned in the upcoming slate of Lucasfilm projects.
    Spoiler
    Show
    All the other Jedi are dead, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yes - where's Castiel!?
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

3. - Top - End - #633
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Sorry - silly TV joke. Another show, Supernatural, also had a season finale a couple of weeks ago. It was heavily criticised because one of the fandoms much loved characters - Castiel - more or less just disappeared and never got any kind of closure. You apparently didn't know the answer either, but it was worth a try.

Also, speaking of actors/characters who should be way better known, bonus points for the Djimon Hounsou meme
    Last edited by Wraith; 2020-12-18 at 01:31 PM.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

4. - Top - End - #634
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Most Recent Epidode
    Show

There was a lot to like here and some to dislike.

Lets start with the end - I liked that it was Luke and was worried that they might have either made it someone else or even not a Jedi (for some reason I kindof always think Maul might be alive no matter how many times we see him die).
    Now overall I don't like they having too many tie-ins with other elements but Luke was perfect for that.
    This is helped as mentally I have decided that The Sequel trilogy never happened (much like I don't really consider the holiday special canon) and was merely bad fan fiction so I don't have to do the logical leap of Leia's kid went psycho and killed The Child leading to Luke throwing his hands in the air and moving to an island or however that chain of events was supposed to have occurred.

The overall action was good and it was nicely paced.

Things I didn't like.
    They needed help to find Gideon's cruiser but could find his lab guy no problem? That seems odd.
    The Imperials are expecting an attack (because someone warned them like an idiot last week) - they should have shot down the shuttle that they had infiltrated or at least sought id codes, voice recognition from the lab guy.
    Boda fighting no name Mandalorian - this is a guy to stood up to Darth Vader he should not be brawling randomers, if a fight was needed he should have just won it (quickly cleanly and moved on).

Seperately.
    I assume that The Mandalorian cannot merely throw the fight anymore then he can yield it but at that level Maul won fairly - Bo-Katan never bet Maul although a few people did (first of them being Sidious) so there are a few people who might be able to claim to be the true ruler of mandalore via honourable combat but she doesn't seem to be on that list (and I suspect Gideon isn't either).

5. - Top - End - #635
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Fyraltari
    Spoiler
    Show
    All the other Jedi are dead, though.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, not necessarily. It’s not much of a stretch to imagine another Jedi survivor or two. And I would have preferred that for many reasons, not least the opportunity for a completely new character with a new story and new possibilities.

With Luke, well, there are some obvious issues that come up.

Originally Posted by dancrilis
    Spoiler
    Show
    …the logical leap of Leia's kid went psycho and killed The Child leading to Luke throwing his hands in the air….
    Spoiler
    Show
    This being one of the implications that unfolds from Luke being involved. At best it requires a convoluted explanation for why Grogu didn’t end up at Luke’s new training temple.

At worst—well, not good. That prospect really dampens the mood.

6. - Top - End - #636
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Spoiler
    Show

It's possible that Grogu 'graduates' from the temple well before then, he already had some training, and we don't know at what age his species becomes self-sufficient.

If I recall, in Rebels, Sabine has the Darksaber and gives it to Bo-Katan. But apparently the symbolic power of the darksaber didn't work to stop the Empire from glassing Mandalore that time, so maybe Bo-Katan is convinced that in order to unite the Mandalorians under her, she needs to check all the boxes as it were, and win the Darksaber in combat.

I also very much doubt that they're going to split up Mando and Grogu for the next season. As much as these two seasons formed a nice cohesive arc, this show is a winner and their best chance of dragging more money out of Star Wars since the sequel trilogy flopped (in the public eye, rather than financially).

In Mando and Grogu, they have "The character design that launched a thousand action figures" and "Funko Pop". Not quite sure how they're going to recreate the dynamic now that Luke showed up, but they're going to try.
    Last edited by BRC; 2020-12-18 at 11:52 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

7. - Top - End - #637
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

I also very much doubt that they're going to split up Mando and Grogu for the next season.
    Spoiler
    Show
    There were some episodes in this season where The Child effectively was either not present or was The Plot Device - I don't really know if they need him to be present for the story any longer really.

The Mandalorian is now in a position to see about claiming Mandalore (or have others claim it from him), abandon the ways of The Children of the Watch (or up hold them as my preference), deal with the aftermath of The Empire getting The Child's blood, deal with what seems to be The Republic expanding control into The Outer Rim ... and likely many more that I am not mentioning.
    None of that really requires The Child - who might be regarded as a device to get people interested in the shows primary characters but isn't needed any longer now that the show is established.

8. - Top - End - #638
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by dancrilis View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    There were some episodes in this season where The Child effectively was either not present or was The Plot Device - I don't really know if they need him to be present for the story any longer really.

The Mandalorian is now in a position to see about claiming Mandalore (or have others claim it from him), abandon the ways of The Children of the Watch (or up hold them as my preference), deal with the aftermath of The Empire getting The Child's blood, deal with what seems to be The Republic expanding control into The Outer Rim ... and likely many more that I am not mentioning.
    None of that really requires The Child - who might be regarded as a device to get people interested in the shows primary characters but isn't needed any longer now that the show is established.
    Spoiler
    Show

yeah, but is Disney going to abandon the "Character Design that launched a thousand action figures" and "Funko Pop" combo.
    Plus, they've very much become the emotional core of the show. Din doesn't really have any other motivations right now, besides, I guess, going back to bounty hunting?

That said, there are plenty of places they could go, it would be easy enough to give him another motivation besides "Bo Katan Stop Trying To Kill Me For This Sword".

Re: The Children of the Watch, I'm interested to see where they go with it. Bo-Katan called them a Cult, and they certainly are, but the show hasn't really cast them in a negative light, except in how ignorant Djin is of greater mandalorian culture. Like, they're portrayed as deeply honorable, and they have some rules that are very inconvenient for them to follow, but they havn't really been shown to be Evil or anything.

Similarly, Djin taking off his helmet hasn't really been framed as, like, breaking away from his brainwashing or whatever. So it's not super clear what we're supposed to think about the Children of the Watch, but I hope we get more about them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

9. - Top - End - #639
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Spoiler
    Show
    So all that Dark Trooper build up for nothing, we're not even teased with the idea there could be more. (There will be but so far no build upto it.)
    Luke was cool but atleast for me looked fake as hell, felt kind of like the first scene of EP1 where we got to see what a Jedi was actually supposed to be able to do which was nice to see actually.
    God awful tactics from everyone, Gideon obviously suspects the shuttle is a trap but doesn't shoot it down or deploy the troopers earlier.
    Bo and the other one leave their squishy allies to die on a bridge, I mean lucky those particular storm troopers decided to go for stupidly standing there rather than just shooting or we'd have lost two character right there.
    Fight between Mando and Gideon was good, simply but good.
    Dark troopers take a plot amount of time to fly the very short distance between their cell and the various places they can come into the ship.
    They should have had the troopers continue to attack the door as Luke came to the rescue then we could have actually had some tension rather than the entertaining but ultimately tensionless finale we got.
    I really hope we are supposed to hate Bo I mean she's so unnecessarily confrontational and kind of ********ish in every scene she's in. Needing to beat Gideon to get ownership of the Saber is stupid as well, I mean Gideon beat whoever had it last?
    Gideons blaster hiding trick is completely pointless at least kill the other Mando who's even more of an ass than Bo.
    Boba is now a warlord? Where the hell did that come from? Do they have a tie in already planned and just needed him to be in the right place to start that story?

So yea enjoyable enough, but didn't really feel like a season finale apart from Baby Yoda going off. That's all the stuff I noticed on my first watch through.

10. - Top - End - #640
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Spacewolf
    Spoiler
    Show
    Boba is now a warlord? Where the hell did that come from? Do they have a tie in already planned and just needed him to be in the right place to start that story?
    Spoiler
    Show
    There's some speculation as to whether it's a spinoff series or the third season of Mandalorian.

Feels more like a spinoff series to me, since Mando has plenty else to do in his own third season. But we'll see.

11. - Top - End - #641
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    This being one of the implications that unfolds from Luke being involved. At best it requires a convoluted explanation for why Grogu didn’t end up at Luke’s new training temple.

At worst—well, not good. That prospect really dampens the mood.
    Spoiler
    Show

Personally, I loved that it was Luke. One of the few good things from the EU purge was centralizing the Jedi so that there aren’t a million hidden Jedi that pop up whenever a new writer wants to make one. Vader hunted them down, the end.

I did not love the cgi face. Looked good right up until he starts talking then he looks like a mannequin.

As to the implication that Ben kills Grogu. Eh. These are the same people that didn’t have the stones to kill Ahsoka when she really should have died (even though I am interested in the upcoming Ahsoka vs Thrawn). If we ever see a post ST series Grogu will show up with some explanation how he escaped death.
    Last edited by Dienekes; 2020-12-18 at 05:11 PM.

12. - Top - End - #642
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

What's the point of having fight scenes when all the leads are completely invulnerable? Darktroopers are impressively worthless, they march around very slowly and punch things.

When they're on the bridge, just leave, you idiots, you already have everything you want. Look how slowly they move, you'll be fine. Move at slightly faster than a slow walk.

13. - Top - End - #643
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Most Recent Epidode
    Show
    They needed help to find Gideon's cruiser but could find his lab guy no problem? That seems odd.
    The Imperials are expecting an attack (because someone warned them like an idiot last week) - they should have shot down the shuttle that they had infiltrated or at least sought id codes, voice recognition from the lab guy.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Dr. Pershing was en route to wherever Gideon was. Turns out it's easy to find peopel when you know where they're going. The Imperials weren't going to shoot down the shuttle they think Pershing is on, they kind of need him. Yes, they expected an attack, and then the ship that helped their ennemy last time showed up firing at their ships. Looks like an attack.

Spoiler
    Show
    Boda fighting no name Mandalorian - this is a guy to stood up to Darth Vader he should not be brawling randomers, if a fight was needed he should have just won it (quickly cleanly and moved on).
    Spoiler
    Show
    Why? She's a MAndalorian warrior, just as he is.

Spoiler
    Show
    I assume that The Mandalorian cannot merely throw the fight anymore then he can yield it but at that level Maul won fairly - Bo-Katan never bet Maul although a few people did (first of them being Sidious) so there are a few people who might be able to claim to be the true ruler of mandalore via honourable combat but she doesn't seem to be on that list (and I suspect Gideon isn't either).
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yes. THat is why she insisted on being the one who takes down Gideon. She needs to win the saber in a fight, that's the point.

Spoiler
    Show
    Well, not necessarily. It’s not much of a stretch to imagine another Jedi survivor or two. And I would have preferred that for many reasons, not least the opportunity for a completely new character with a new story and new possibilities.

With Luke, well, there are some obvious issues that come up.

Spoiler
    Show
    Kenobi, Yoda, Jarrus, Tano, whatever the name of the guy from Fallen Order is. That's already five. The OT establishes Luke as the last of the Jedi, the more survivor you create, the more meaningless that becomes.

Spoiler
    Show
    There's some speculation as to whether it's a spinoff series or the third season of Mandalorian.

Feels more like a spinoff series to me, since Mando has plenty else to do in his own third season. But we'll see.
    Spoiler
    Show
    We're immediately told that there's a Boba Fett book coming. We don't need Scotland Yard to crack that case.

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire Guard View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

What's the point of having fight scenes when all the leads are completely invulnerable? Darktroopers are impressively worthless, they march around very slowly and punch things.

When they're on the bridge, just leave, you idiots, you already have everything you want. Look how slowly they move, you'll be fine. Move at slightly faster than a slow walk.

Spoiler
    Show
    The Dark troopers came in through the hangars, they're between them and the exits, how do you propose they leave?
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2020-12-18 at 05:54 PM.
    Forum Wisdom

14. - Top - End - #644
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Dr. Pershing was en route to wherever Gideon was. Turns out it's easy to find peopel when you know where they're going. The Imperials weren't going to shoot down the shuttle they think Pershing is on, they kind of need him. Yes, they expected an attack, and then the ship that helped their ennemy last time showed up firing at their ships. Looks like an attack.
    Spoiler
    Show
    By that logic Gideon should have been able to figure out where The Mandalorian was as he knew the destination. Similarly if Pershing was that important then he should have actually been better protected and they should have sought clearance codes from them and confirmation that he was aboard.

Spoiler
    Show
    Why? She's a MAndalorian warrior, just as he is.
    Spoiler
    Show
    It is not about the armour it is about the wearer - Boba is one of the top bounty hunters in the galaxy, she is effectively an equivalent to the Imperial Mandalorians that Sabine and Ezra dealt with in Rebels - yes a mandalorian warrior but not on the same narrative level, or to put it another way, her boss runs from Maul, Boba stands up to Vader - these people are not narrative equals.
    Had he actually been merely a clone trooper I would have been fine with it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Yes. THat is why she insisted on being the one who takes down Gideon. She needs to win the saber in a fight, that's the point.
    Spoiler
    Show
    By that logic the Mandalorian can sell it to trader Limbless McBadheart and she can then challenge the trader for possession and (probably) win, problem solved.
    She seems to think she need to win it from someone with a proper claim and by that system Gideon and by proxy The Mandalorian would not seem to count - she should be looking for Palpatine as the man who took down Maul (or Ahsoka if she doesn't know about the Palpatine bit).

Spoiler
    Show
    Kenobi, Yoda, Jarrus, Tano, whatever the name of the guy from Fallen Order is. That's already five. The OT establishes Luke as the last of the Jedi, the more survivor you create, the more meaningless that becomes.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Also the The Child (and kindof Ezra).

15. - Top - End - #645
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Spoiler
    Show
    It is not about the armour it is about the wearer - Boba is one of the top bounty hunters in the galaxy, she is effectively an equivalent to the Imperial Mandalorians that Sabine and Ezra dealt with in Rebels - yes a mandalorian warrior but not on the same narrative level, or to put it another way, her boss runs from Maul, Boba stands up to Vader - these people are not narrative equals.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Fett was a bounty hunter. She was a warrior. Bounty hunters are not the be-all, end-all of martial prowess. Even the really good ones.

Keep in mind, Fett did virtually no fighting in the movies, and when he did fight, he got his blaster chopped up, got his snare rope chopped up, got knocked down, and got launched across the battlefield.

So yeah. I'm not buying this argument.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-12-18 at 06:30 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

16. - Top - End - #646
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    By that logic Gideon should have been able to figure out where The Mandalorian was as he knew the destination.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm not sure what you mean? Gideon confronted Din when he chose to.

Spoiler
    Show
    Similarly if Pershing was that important then he should have actually been better protected and they should have sought clearance codes from them and confirmation that he was aboard.
    Spoiler
    Show
    There's a time to ask for codes. Firefight isn't one of them. Besides, what would have been the narrative point of that? It's not like Pershing wouldn't have given them.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    You seriously think that Boba could have survived a fight with Vader? All Mandalorian are badass warriors, that's the core of being a Mandalorian. A fight between two is never going to be cakewalk for either of them.

Spoiler
    Show
    By that logic the Mandalorian can sell it to trader Limbless McBadheart and she can then challenge the trader for possession and (probably) win, problem solved. She seems to think she need to win it from someone with a proper claim and by that system Gideon and by proxy The Mandalorian would not seem to count - she should be looking for Palpatine as the man who took down Maul (or Ahsoka if she doesn't know about the Palpatine bit).

Spoiler
    Show
    That's basically the same as giving it to her. The idea is that she has to earn it. As Gideon said, it's not about the saber it's about the story. She needs to be able to say: I own this because I defeated a worthy foe to get it. Gideon isn't a Mandalorian but he's an imperial warlord, taking the saber from him in battle is earning it. Taking it from some rando your friend gave it to for the ewpress purpose of you taking it from him really isn't. She doesn't need to take it from someone with a "proper claim" to it, Harry Potter style, she needs to take it from someone willing and able to kill her for it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Also the The Child (and kindof Ezra).
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ezar was born on the day of Order 66, he doesn't count. And Grogu can't train himself.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2020-12-18 at 07:27 PM.
    Forum Wisdom

17. - Top - End - #647
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

The Dark troopers came in through the hangars, they're between them and the exits, how do you propose they leave?
    Escape pods? Alternatively, just take another route across the giant ship that avoids the very very slow robots marching in formation. Darktrooper blaster bolts still can't penetrate beskar, so the only risk is if they get into melee range.

So, they're going to come up with some convoluted reason Grogu wasn't killed in Kylo's massacre, then? So much for "The Last Jedi" (the idea, not the film.) He's going to somehow survive two separate purges.

Grogu has more training than Luke already, right? So what's he going to learn?

That was a nice trick from Gideon, ensuring Bo-Katan can't get her throne. But he's otherwise pretty toothless.

18. - Top - End - #648
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Fett was a bounty hunter. She was a warrior. Bounty hunters are not the be-all, end-all of martial prowess. Even the really good ones.

Keep in mind, Fett did virtually no fighting in the movies, and when he did fight, he got his blaster chopped up, got his snare rope chopped up, got knocked down, and got launched across the battlefield.

So yeah. I'm not buying this argument.
    Spoiler
    Show

It is more a narrative argument for me rather then a practicality argument - he carries narrative weight she could be replaced with any other mandalorian in existence, it decreases his narrative weight to have him brawling in a pub.
    Which ultimately decreases his impact at the end of seeming to seize power over a criminal organization.

@Fyraltari you might want to fix your nested spoilers in quotes.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm not sure what you mean? Gideon confronted Din when he chose to.
    Spoiler
    Show

If The Mandalorian could find the Doctor because he knew where he was going (something I am dubious about) then Gideon should have been able to find The Mandalorian as he had much more resources and knew where The Mandalorian was going.
    But knowing where someone is going doesn't actually help you know where they are - in the same manner that knowing that I am going to country X next year tells you nothing about where I am now, or when specifically I am going to country X or which of the many methods of entering country X I am using.

In order to acquire The Doctor the Mandalorian would need something else then a potential destination (at least he would need to know that the Doctor was not already at the cruiser), we are shown how he got the cruiser info - not how he got any of the rest that makes the plan work.

Spoiler
    Show
    You seriously think that Boba could have survived a fight with Vader? All Mandalorian are badass warriors, that's the core of being a Mandalorian. A fight between two is never going to be cakewalk for either of them.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I believe that in old canon Boda did go up against Vader on occasion and in new canon Vader does go up against Bounty Hunters on occasion.
    Do you think that Boba Fett would have had issue dealing with the mook Mandalorians in Clone Wars or Rebels - I don't think so.

Spoiler
    Show
    That's basically the same as giving it to her. The idea is that she has to earn it. As Gideon said, it's not about the saber it's about the story. She needs to be able to say: I own this because I defeated a worthy foe to get it. Gideon isn't a Mandalorian but he's an imperial warlord, taking the saber from him in battle is earning it. Taking it from some rando your friend gave it to for the ewpress purpose of you taking it from him really isn't. She doesn't need to take it from someone with a "proper claim" to it, Harry Potter style, she needs to take it from someone willing and able to kill her for it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Haven't read or seen Harry Potter so I don't get the reference - but The Mandalorian doesn't seem to want it and so had no real reason not to sell it, if that happens what is she going to do then - wait for someone worthy to possess it and then attack?

Spoiler
    Show
    Ezar was born on the day of Order 66, he doesn't count. And Grogu can't train himself.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Child was a survivor of Order 66 I would say he does count as someone that Vader missed.

Spoiler
    Show

So, they're going to come up with some convoluted reason Grogu wasn't killed in Kylo's massacre, then? So much for "The Last Jedi" (the idea, not the film.) He's going to somehow survive two separate purges.
    Everything is better if you ignore that film (and the other two in that trilogy).

19. - Top - End - #649

Spoiler
    Show
    Escape pods?
    Spoiler
    Show
    One line of dialogue could fix that. "They're between us and the escape pods."

Spoiler
    Show
    Alternatively, just take another route across the giant ship that avoids the very very slow robots marching in formation. Darktrooper blaster bolts still can't penetrate beskar, so the only risk is if they get into melee range.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The armor doesn't cover everything. Speaking as someone who is making that armor right now, I can absolutely attest that the armor does not cover everything. It just covers the super-easy-to-hit areas.

Spoiler
    Show
    So, they're going to come up with some convoluted reason Grogu wasn't killed in Kylo's massacre, then?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Why? He could die in that and it would be perfectly consistent. Also, he's not a Jedi regardless. He's still a toddler some 40 years after the Imperial purge. Even if they have him survive, he's a child with force powers. So was Broom Kid.

Spoiler
    Show
    Grogu has more training than Luke already, right?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Source?

Spoiler
    Show
    So what's he going to learn?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Control, control, he must learn control!

Spoiler
    Show

It is more a narrative argument for me rather then a practicality argument - he carries narrative weight she could be replaced with any other mandalorian in existence, it decreases his narrative weight to have him brawling in a pub.
    Which ultimately decreases his impact at the end of seeming to seize power over a criminal organization.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Narratively, having random Mandalorian go toe-to-toe with Boba Fett shows that even random no-name Mandalorians are not people to be trifled with. That gives her character weight without taking away anything from Fett.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-12-18 at 07:35 PM.

20. - Top - End - #650
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Bo-Katan's blasters
    Show
    I think i did notice Bo-Katan's blasters are two Westar-35 just like Sabine and apparently Pre Visla too.
    I did like this.
    Que tous les anciens dieux et les nouveaux protègent la France.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam K View Post
    Sun Tzu never had tier problems. If he had to deal with D&D, the Art of War would read "Full casters or GTFO".
    Quote Originally Posted by King Louis XIII in The Musketeers
    Common sense is for commoners, not for [ PC ].

21. - Top - End - #651
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Escape pods? Alternatively, just take another route across the giant ship that avoids the very very slow robots marching in formation. Darktrooper blaster bolts still can't penetrate beskar, so the only risk is if they get into melee range.
    Spoiler
    Show
    All the Darktroopers knew Luke had come onboard, strongly implying they are linked to the ship's security system meaning they'd have no trouble intercepting them. Only Din is wearing beskar.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    The masscre is, what, twenty-five years in the future. There is no reason to assume his abscence will be convoluted in any way.

Spoiler
    Show
    Grogu has more training than Luke already, right? So what's he going to learn?
    Spoiler
    Show
    He's also a fifty year old toddler. I think it's afe to assume they don't learn at the same speed.

Spoiler
    Show
    That was a nice trick from Gideon, ensuring Bo-Katan can't get her throne. But he's otherwise pretty toothless.
    Spoiler
    Show
    He had a pretty nifty fight, methinks.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    The point of the scene is to re-establish the fracture of the Mandalorian culture. If you think that Boba getting in a fight with another mandalorian somehow diminishes his stature... Why?

@Fyraltari you might want to fix your nested spoilers in quotes.
    Done. Thanks.
    Spoiler
    Show

If The Mandalorian could find the Doctor because he knew where he was going (something I am dubious about) then Gideon should have been able to find The Mandalorian as he had much more resources and knew where The Mandalorian was going.
    But knowing where someone is going doesn't actually help you know where they are - in the same manner that knowing that I am going to country X next year tells you nothing about where I am now, or when specifically I am going to country X or which of the many methods of entering country X I am using.
    Spoiler
    Show
    That the bounty hunters are better at finding people based on limited information than the politician is not the issue you are making it out to be.

Spoiler
    Show
    In order to acquire The Doctor the Mandalorian would need something else then a potential destination (at least he would need to know that the Doctor was not already at the cruiser), we are shown how he got the cruiser info - not how he got any of the rest that makes the plan work.
    Spoiler
    Show
    He already knew Pershing wasn't staying with Gideon because he saw one of his communications back on Nevarro. He knew where Gideon was and since hyperspace lanes are a thing he could set up an ambush. It's not complicated.

Hell, all of that is asusming he knew Pershing was on-board the shuttle. Their plan didn't require him at all, just the shuttle itself.

Spoiler
    Show
    I believe that in old canon Boda did go up against Vader on occasion and in new canon Vader does go up against Bounty Hunters on occasion.
    Do you think that Boba Fett would have had issue dealing with the mook Mandalorians in Clone Wars or Rebels - I don't think so.
    Spoiler
    Show
    If you absolutely want to bring in narrative arithmetic or whatever, yes I do believe that, for a simple reason.

Spoiler
    Show
    Haven't read or seen Harry Potter so I don't get the reference - but The Mandalorian doesn't seem to want it and so had no real reason not to sell it, if that happens what is she going to do then - wait for someone worthy to possess it and then attack?
    Basically, at the end of the last book, it turns out that the big bad is not the "true master" of the super magic wand he's got because the hero disarmed a guy who disarmed the guy who killed (assisted suicide really) the previous master of the wand, therefore the hero is the true master. All these fights were unrelated, by the way.

Din is not going to sell away a symbol of the mandalorian nation. These people put a lot of way on honour, they are not going to cheat their own traditions. In Bo-Katan's point of view it does seem like she has to either beat Din in a fight or put her ambitions on hold.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Child was a survivor of Order 66 I would say he does count as someone that Vader missed.
    Yes, but he is irrelevant to the matter at hand. Since he can't train himself.

Everything is better if you ignore that film (and the other two in that trilogy).
    Oh, cry me a river.

EDIT:

Spoiler
    Show
    Source?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Are you calling Ahsoka a liar?
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2020-12-18 at 07:51 PM.
    Forum Wisdom

22. - Top - End - #652
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

One line of dialogue could fix that. "They're between us and the escape pods."
    Unlikely. They enter through the hangar and move super slowly, there's got to be an escape pod near the bridge.

The armor doesn't cover everything. Speaking as someone who is making that armor right now, I can absolutely attest that the armor does not cover everything. It just covers the super-easy-to-hit areas.
    In which case there's... less risk than in the fighting they've already done?

Source?
    Ahsoka. "Many masters trained him over the years."

Grogu's control is perfect, we've never seen him do something unintentionally or accidentally use too much power.

23. - Top - End - #653

Spoiler
    Show
    Unlikely. They enter through the hangar and move super slowly, there's got to be an escape pod near the bridge.
    Spoiler
    Show
    A single line from Favreau could fix that. "There weren't."

Spoiler
    Show
    In which case there's... less risk than in the fighting they've already done?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Oh, if you're saying that this should have been highlighted before, I'm all with you there. A point should have been made that they're not invincible cybermen.

And even if they were, we know that ion cannons can incapacitate them. More people should be equipped with those.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ahsoka. "Many masters trained him over the years."

Grogu's control is perfect, we've never seen him do something unintentionally or accidentally use too much power.
    Spoiler
    Show
    And yet he still has issues taking the ball from Ahsoka and tires incredibly easily. The only times we have seen him use the Force to any effect greater than getting a ball has been in times of emotional disturbance. He is not well-trained and does not have control. Significantly less control than Luke had when Yoda yelled that at him, for sure.

Just because he's had many masters doesn't mean he's had more training or knows more than Luke. He's also been exposed to Basic for 50 years, and can't yet talk.

24. - Top - End - #654
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Narratively, having random Mandalorian go toe-to-toe with Boba Fett shows that even random no-name Mandalorians are not people to be trifled with. That gives her character weight without taking away anything from Fett.
    Good point.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    This is an Imperial ship we're talking about. I'm not even convinced there are escape pods at all.

Spoiler
    Show
    AOh, if you're saying that this should have been highlighted before, I'm all with you there. A point should have been made that they're not invincible cybermen.
    These aren't all they're cracked up to be either.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2020-12-18 at 08:15 PM.
    Forum Wisdom

25. - Top - End - #655

These aren't all they're cracked up to be either.
    3:44 in the first video shows the greatest death scene ever captured on film.

26. - Top - End - #656
    Titan in the Playground

3:44 in the first video shows the greatest death scene ever captured on film.
    You clearly haven't watched enough Classic Who.
    Forum Wisdom

27. - Top - End - #657
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Except we see plenty of no-name Mandalorians over multiple series and they aren't that far above Storm Troopers.

Spoiler
    Show
    The point of the scene is to re-establish the fracture of the Mandalorian culture. If you think that Boba getting in a fight with another mandalorian somehow diminishes his stature... Why?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Don't know if you have ever been in a bar fight (or even witnessed one) but no matter who is involved it diminishes the stature of those people - with the exception of the people that break it up so that is is over.
    The scene adds to Bo-Katan and The Mandalorian's stature as they ended it quickly and smoothly, it detracts from the other two and since one of them has no stature it only detracts from Boba's.
    Personal opinion of course.

Oh, cry me a river.
    I don't know what you mean here - as near as I can tell the trilogy adds nothing worth adding to Star Wars and detracts from much.
    To take The Resistance cartoon - not a great cartoon - but frankly better if you don't know the wider conflict (or ignore it).
    Spoiler
    Show
    Again this scene with Luke in the Mandalorian works much better if the sequel trilogy is ignored - at least for me.
    Since I am already ignoring the trilogy as part of the Star Wars story I think that mentioning this option to people who are dubious about Luke showing up is fairly good advise, it improves the episode if you write off the trilogy as bad fanfic, and very little in Disney Star Wars actually requires you to bother following it at all seemingly (I read the most comics but don't really read the novels so maybe I am missing something).

28. - Top - End - #658

Spoiler
    Show
    Except we see plenty of no-name Mandalorians over multiple series and they aren't that far above Storm Troopers.
    Spoiler
    Show
    A.) Source?
    2.) Stormtroopers are portrayed as remarkably effective a great deal, despite all the jokes about them.
    iii.) Even ignoring all that, it worked the way I described for me, I'm guessing for Fyraltari, and for more people who are enjoying the show, at a shot in the dark. It didn't work for you. That's fine. If it didn't work for you, nothing I can say will make it different. I can just say why it did work for me.

29. - Top - End - #659
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    A.) Source?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Clone Wars and Rebels.
    Clone Wars - When the Republic supported Ahsoka in taking Mandalore the republic troopers seemed to have the better of the Mandalorians.
    Rebels - Sabine (and Ezra) effectively went through them on occasion.

Perhaps I am misremembering but can try to get video links if you feel they are needed?

Spoiler
    Show
    2.) Stormtroopers are portrayed as remarkably effective a great deal, despite all the jokes about them.
    Spoiler
    Show
    This is fair - but you would not expect Boba Fett, or Jango Fett or another named experienced combatant to struggle with one I don't think.

Spoiler
    Show

iii.) Even ignoring all that, it worked the way I described for me, I'm guessing for Fyraltari, and for more people who are enjoying the show, at a shot in the dark. It didn't work for you. That's fine. If it didn't work for you, nothing I can say will make it different. I can just say why it did work for me.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Which is fair enough - still think it detracts from him but I may be in the minority on that.

30. - Top - End - #660
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

A single line from Favreau could fix that. "There weren't."
    A line that wasn't there.

Oh, if you're saying that this should have been highlighted before, I'm all with you there. A point should have been made that they're not invincible cybermen.
    They've been taking fire with no issues constantly for two seasons. It's too late to convince me that this one time they couldn't do anything in case they might be shot. Three Mandalorians in beskar, and Cara and Fennec at no greater risk of being shot than they already were carving through the ship the first time (Also Moff Gideon, which raises interesting questions about whether the Darktroopers would risk shooting him.)

And yet he still has issues taking the ball from Ahsoka and tires incredibly easily. The only times we have seen him use the Force to any effect greater than getting a ball has been in times of emotional disturbance. He is not well-trained and does not have control. Significantly less control than Luke had when Yoda yelled that at him, for sure.
    He doesn't have issues taking the stone, he doesn't do it because he doesn't want to take it. He uses the Force to get himself sweets or take the shiny ball without Mando noticing, it's not just emotional distress.

He achieves all the things he wants to do with no issues, he only gets tired doing particularly strenuous feats.

[QUOTEHe had a pretty nifty fight, methinks.][/QUOTE]

This is an Imperial ship we're talking about. I'm not even convinced there are escape pods at all.
    https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Arq...ommand_cruiser

He had a pretty nifty fight, methinks.
    He got a free shot from behind and couldn't do anything with it.

All the Darktroopers knew Luke had come onboard, strongly implying they are linked to the ship's security system meaning they'd have no trouble intercepting them. Only Din is wearing beskar.
    The one that's run from the bridge?

Three of the five are wearing beskar, they also have a beskar spear and a Darksab

They didn't swarm Luke, they stood in place and waited for him. Given how slowly they move, it seems very unlikely they'd be able to catch the gang, and if they did that they could actually hurt them.