New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 41 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Mandalorian Season 2

Originally Posted by Mechalich
    The single habitable planet that we happen to live on is biodiverse, but that's a sample size of one. It is perfectly reasonable for single biome planets to exist….
    True, but biodiversity and the number of biomes are two completely different things. A planet with a reduced number of biomes could still be tremendously biodiverse, depending on which biomes are most widespread.

Single-biome planets may be possible, especially on the extremes (e.g. desert and glaciated worlds) but most planets are likely to have a variety of biomes, since a spherical body by definition receives unequal solar heating on a gradient from equator to poles. That drives atmospheric circulation and creates differing temperature regimes, which create different climates requiring different adaptations. The configuration of continents and ocean currents adds even more complexity and more opportunity for unique biomes to develop.

Star Wars is characterized by single-biome worlds, but this is a cinematic shortcut taken for reasons other than planetary science, and there are moments when it gets to me a little. As beautiful as Maz Kanata’s planet is, it really should have at least modest polar icecaps and bands of desert at the horse latitudes.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    Those guys were all adults during the clone wars. In AoTC we see that there were some baby clones still in the cylinders - the order wasn't just for one army ready for 22 BBY, but for non-stop production all the way to 22 BBY (and possibly throughout the clone wars as well - orders for more clones were authorised.)

Some clone who was a newborn in 19 BBY when the war ended, would be physically 38 in ANH, 46 in RoTJ, 56 in The Mandalorian.

For comparison, Boba, created in 32 BBY, would be 41.

While a Rex-age clone (82 physically) is implausible, a late production one is slightly less so.
    I keep forgetting that not all clones were made for battle when the war started.

Spoiler: Do we have a policy on how long we use spoilers boxes?
    Show
    As for the episode I enjoyed it. I'm expecting the Passenger to have a role next episode and the relationship between Mando and the New Republic later in the season.
    Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post

I’m sure Mando has heard this phrase from the New Republic before, probably on news holos if nothing else. Mando likely knows the term “Force” exists, the same way that I’ve heard certain reality stars exist—but just as I don’t know anything about them, and don’t want to, he’s probably never felt interested enough to ask about it. It's just something those New Republic guys say to each other.
    That's not even required. If I wanted to be on somebody's good side and they tell me "The Schlamandroguja be with you." I'd answer "and with you" because there's better than even odd that that's the appropriate response.

And Mecha’s point about unfertilized eggs raises a couple other issues. Typically frogs store their eggs internally until the moment of fertilization (amplexus), so it’s a little contrived for them to be floating around unfertilized for who knows how long. I can’t think offhand what the evolutionary advantage would be, since as we saw the eggs are vulnerable to predators.
    Typically apes breastfeed their babies yet baby bottles are in widespread use and getting more and more used with every passing year. The Passenger isn't a wild animal, it's hardly surprising that her species would develop technologies that make life easier for them.

On the question of the Child eating the eggs and her general bahviour with them: the amount of care animal show their young is roughly inversely proportional to the number of children they have. Humans have only a handful of children so they mean the world to them while some species lay hundreds of eggs of leave them to fend for themselves. I think the Passenger doesn't care for her eggs as individual members of her species yet and would be happy even if only a few made it to safety so she doesn't bother to keep a count of them/reprimand Mando about some going missing when they have bigger problems at hand.

Also:
    Passenger: Mandalorien, ma couveuse est bientôt à court d'énergie, nous devons repartir au plus vite !
    Mando: Sorry lady, I don't speak Frog.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2020-11-08 at 03:39 PM.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless View Post
    Regarding Episode 2
    Spoiler
    Show
    I can't help thinking had they just skipped out having the giant spider falling on the Razorcrest and having the x-wing pilots rescuing them this would have been a much better episode.

I think this is just the first part of a two parter.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm wondering if next episode we discover those eggs are of no importance to the Frog Lady and all of this is just going to lead them into some trap.
    Possibly because of the Beskar he's wearing.
    But there is something very off about the Frog Lady given she should have a good idea how many eggs she has and yet she hasn't noticed a number of them are missing after even taking them out into that spa lake and then rushing back
    Yeah this one felt like filler. The bad kind.

Spoiler
    Show
    The egg thing is played for comedy but at best it's just really gross and tonally jarring, while at worst it raises rather unfortunate implications. Does she not notice or care about the dwindling number of eggs she brought with her, even after taking them all out to put in the hot spring? Some mother she's going to make. And the kid's single-minded pursuit of them is closer to horrifying than endearing - clearly it doesn't care whether eggs are fertilized or not, as evidenced by it cracking open the spider eggs with equal aplomb, and "eats babies" is typically a moniker I expect for a particularly monstrous villain, not the marketable face of the franchise. The kid's pursuit of them also raises the uncomfortable question of how hungry the damn thing must be to be going after eggs so single-mindedly in the first place - is Mando even feeding it? Every time we've seen it eat, it caught its own food rather than being, well, nurtured by its surrogate father.

Tossing all the egg stuff aside - which I'm sure the writers will do the moment frog lady is off the ship - the only meaningful development here plotwise is that we now know the Republic knows Mando was tied to the prison break in S1. Only, the two X-Wing traffic police have apparently run his plates and unilaterally decided to clear him on all charges, so it didn't amount to anything in the end. Not that I really wanted him arrested to prolong this nonsense even further, but it still felt like a copout (heh) when they had every reason to at least bring him down to the station. Even if he did some heroic stuff while there, you'd think they'd at least be curious how their maximum security prison ship was breached so easily, and which other persons of interest he might have associated with. The two X-Wing guys letting him go and promising to look the other way would have made a lot more sense if HE were the one who rescued THEM from ice spiders.

And so with a curt admonishment to "fix his transponder" - with no guarantee that actually doing so won't simply get him pulled over by a completely different patrol - they ditch him on the ice planet with a clearly barely functional ship whose hull has been breached. What heroes!

And the episode ends with Baby Yoda devouring yet another one of Frog Lady's offspring, sparking all those questions yet again. Yay?

Oh, and I forgot the forgettable intro. What purpose did it serve?
    Last edited by Psyren; 2020-11-09 at 03:01 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

Also about the Child and the eggs. I doubt the Child understands that the eggs are the youngs of the Passenger and not a snack she's hoarding.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2020-11-09 at 03:19 AM.

5. - Top - End - #95

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Also about the Child and the eggs. I doubt the Child understands that the eggs are the youngs of the Passenger and not a snack she's hoarding.
    What the Child understands is irrelevant; we the audience know what they are. Framing it as a comedic or heartwarming moment is therefore jarring.

If you saw a small child in a show pulling the wings off butterflies, it's certainly true that the child might not realize or consider what it's doing - but the show wouldn't (or shouldn't) portray it as a funny hijinks moment either.

I'm seeing outlets like the Escapist having a take on the episode similar to mine.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    What the Child understands is irrelevant; we the audience know what they are. Framing it as a comedic or heartwarming moment is therefore jarring.

If you saw a small child in a show pulling the wings off butterflies, it's certainly true that the child might not realize or consider what it's doing - but the show wouldn't (or shouldn't) portray it as a funny hijinks moment either.

I'm seeing outlets like the Escapist having a take on the episode similar to mine.
    There's quite a difference between torturing an adult insect and eating eggs. Also dark humor is a thing.
    Forum Wisdom

7. - Top - End - #97
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Spoiler: Eggs in Star Wars
    Show
    I think the 'egg' thing is supposed to be part of a running joke that has just fallen a bit flat. The Jawas were crazy for the giant furry egg in s01e02 because it was quirky and silly, and we saw Mando get beaten up for a snack. Silly, but they're wacky little aliens so whatever they do is going to be silly, too.

Then the Tuskans found the egg/pearl thing inside the krayt dragon and they all starting hooting happily. Hey, I get that reference! They live in a desert and they love eggs, just like last season!

Now the child is still doing it because a) everyone loves eggs and b) the Child eats gross things, like frogs and baby spiders. Okay, I've seen that a couple of times now; it's cute but it probably needed more time between last episode and this one, so it's not as overdone. Can't win 'em all, I guess

Otherwise, I think I agree with everyone so far in that episode 2 isn't as strong as episode 1. It doesn't really go anywhere, and it makes everyone involved look like jerks in some way or another - even Mando, who tried to give up on his quest and was apparently okay with his cargo getting repeatedly violated. Him having to be shamed into keeping up his end of the bargain felt out of character for the guy who was previously willing to die before breaking his vow and taking off his helmet.

Spoiler: Plot of Episode 03
    Show
    The description for episode 03 is up on IMDB, a very short description about how Mando and the Child are on a sailing ship and meet 'unexpected allies'.

I get the impression that Episode 02 is a setup for the next couple of episodes in that the Frog Lady plot is done with but Mando is still having to deal with the near-destruction of the Razorcrest - otherwise, why would he be travelling anywhere by boat? Maybe he's having to go out of his way to find a new transponder unit or whatever, which will rope in the X-Wing pilots later in the season.

Season 01 ended with a TIE Fighter after all - it'd be a huge shame if the series introduced X-Wings and TIE Fighters and DIDN'T end with some good, old fashioned dog-fighting antics.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ettin in the Playground

On the eggs I think there are four ways that seem likely they could go.

Spoiler: Theories
    Show
    1. The eggs are not actually eggs - they are something else and the Mandalorian is being used as a smuggler.
    2. The Child is storing them inside to save them from the conditions and will regurgitate them later.
    3. It was a joke and we are meant to take it as a joke and not over think it.
    4. It is about development for this Child and the Mandalorian.

Expanding on 4:
    At the beginning of the episode the Mandalorian effectively breaks his word to the hunter and kills him after the deal was made and honoured - his response to doing was was effectively to shrug, the message life is cheap and expendable and deals are to be broken when convenient.
    Taking that lesson on board the child has no issues treating life as cheap and expendable and has no concern with any potential agreement between her and the Mandalorian.

As is likely obvious I kindof like 4 as something to potentially develop.

I think this is likely why I am not complaining about this one being filler as I did with many in season 1 - I think this one might be important in a character development sense.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dancrilis View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

At the beginning of the episode the Mandalorian effectively breaks his word to the hunter and kills him after the deal was made and honoured - his response to doing was was effectively to shrug, the message life is cheap and expendable and deals are to be broken when convenient.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Err, do you really think of a deal made with a knife held to an infant's throat as being binding?
    Forum Wisdom

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Err, do you really think of a deal made with a knife held to an infant's throat as being binding?
    Spoiler: The Deal
    Show

A deal was offered (by the Mandalorian), it was accepted, the terms were delivered on - and then the Mandalorian effectively reneged on it and killed the guy who had effectively trusted him to keep it.

Is the Mandalorian's word good or is it dependent on his feelings and so is effectively meaningless?
    Last edited by dancrilis; 2020-11-09 at 07:50 AM.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Show

A deal was offered (by the Mandalorian), it was accepted, the terms were delivered on - and then the Mandalorian effectively reneged on it and killed the guy who had effectively trusted him to keep it.

Is the Mandalorian's word good or is it dependent on his feelings and so is effectively meaningless?
    Spoiler
    Show
    I don't see it as different from "you will not die by my hand." Mando never said anything about not killing him or letting him go. And in that situation, that's an assurance you really want to get.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

12. - Top - End - #102

Griffon

In fairness...

Show
    Mando told the hunter it could TAKE the jetpack, but never said anything about being allowed to KEEP it. This is entirely in-character for Mando, as in the first episode where he promised that the one-eyed gangster would "not die by my hand" and then left him in the dark at the hands of... feral jawas, or something.

It's dark and anti-heroic, but at the same time the two victims were the ones who started the fight in the first place and were perfectly willing to kill both Mando and the Child for their own financial gain - why should he owe them mercy? He agreed to terms and then abided by them... perhaps they shouldn't have been scumbags in order to encourage him to abide by the spirit of the agreement rather than the letter of it?

EDIT: Ninja'd by Peelee.

On the eggs I think there are four ways that seem likely they could go.
    Number 4 is interesting, because that's the exact opposite that I took away from the Child towards the end of the episode.

It had spent 45 minutes wandering around, interfering with things and generally being the cause of mayhem - the spiders were awoken by it's meddling after all. But towards the end when they're travelling in the cockpit having repaired the canopy, and the camera deliberately shows its expression of - so I interpreted it - guilt, like it had realised that Mando was uncomfortable and endangered because of something it had done.

Might have been me misinterpreting of course, but I took away from the episode that the Child is learning that Mando is going to great lengths to look after it, and its starting to realise that it could perhaps be more wary in future. I guess we'll see if that holds up next episode.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2020-11-09 at 08:29 AM.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

Show

This is ridiculous. But if you insist on ignoring context, then Mando scrupulously observed the terms if your so-called deal. He did give the jetpack. He had made no promise to refrain from killing his attacker. He then took the jetpack back has his current owner had no use for it.

It should also be noted that the previous epusode already established that Mandalorian custosms forbid him from leaving Mandalorian equipment in the hands of outsiders.
    Forum Wisdom

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I don't see it as different from "you will not die by my hand." Mando never said anything about not killing him or letting him go. And in that situation, that's an assurance you really want to get.
    Spoiler
    Show

I disagree.
    In the first the Mandalorian offered a deal effectively 'tell me what I want without issue and I won't kill you despite the reasons you just gave me to do so' the guy then proceeded to try to kill him, so the Mandalorian killed him (even if by proxy).
    In the second the Mandalorian offered a deal effectively 'give me what I want without issue and you can walk away with goods despite the reasons you just gave me to kill you - don't and I will kill you' the guy took the deal (perhaps foolishly), and then the Mandalorian killed him.

I see the later 'will not die by my hand' as merely an convenient excuse to wrap up the discussion - but if the guy had not attacked him and had told him what he knew about mandalorian locations and he had still killed him I would see them as more similiar.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    It had spent 45 minutes wandering around, interfering with things and generally being the cause of mayhem - the spiders were awoken by it's meddling after all. But towards the end when they're travelling in the cockpit having repaired the canopy, and the camera deliberately shows its expression of - so I interpreted it - guilt, like it had realised that Mando was uncomfortable and endangered because of something it had done.
    I half saw it like that until he ate another one.
    Last edited by dancrilis; 2020-11-09 at 08:40 AM.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Fyraltari
    Spoiler
    Show
    Typically apes breastfeed their babies yet baby bottles are in widespread use and getting more and more used with every passing year. The Passenger isn't a wild animal, it's hardly surprising that her species would develop technologies that make life easier for them.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My comment wasn’t about technology, but on the strangeness of carrying unfertilized eggs anywhere outside of her body. There’s no reason to do so, and it feels very contrived just for a visual and a rather unfunny series of gags.

If they were fertilized eggs it would make far more sense, since she would essentially be carrying the birthing pool in the aqueous incubator. If they were fertilized, then she really would be dealing with a situation that her species hasn’t evolved to cope with, since she would need to transport her eggs across distances that evolution never accounted for.

But unfertilized…just doesn’t work. I have a feeling Favreau might have specified unfertilized in an attempt to avoid issues of the Child eating sentient beings…but as reactions here and elsewhere have already shown, that distinction was lost. Each egg is a potential sentient being, and Madame Frog only has so many of them, so each one should be precious to her.

Spoiler
    Show
    On the question of the Child eating the eggs and her general bahviour with them: the amount of care animal show their young is roughly inversely proportional to the number of children they have. Humans have only a handful of children so they mean the world to them while some species lay hundreds of eggs of leave them to fend for themselves.
    Spoiler
    Show
    In very general terms, yes—but the dialogue goes out of its way to explain that these eggs are the last of her line, and thus she’s already in an abnormal situation for her species. If these are her very last eggs, and she’s willing to make a dangerous journey with a sketchy merc she doesn’t even know, then she should be treating every last egg like spun glass.

Really, she should be compulsively counting them every five minutes. Something does seem off here.

Passenger: Mandalorien, ma couveuse est bientôt à court d'énergie, nous devons repartir au plus vite !
    Mando: Sorry lady, I don't speak Frog
    Well played, sir, well played.

Originally Posted by Psyren
    Spoiler
    Show
    Only, the two X-Wing traffic police have apparently run his plates and unilaterally decided to clear him on all charges, so it didn't amount to anything in the end. Not that I really wanted him arrested to prolong this nonsense even further, but it still felt like a copout (heh) when they had every reason to at least bring him down to the station.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, this scene felt both contrived and ridiculous, as well as reminding us why we usually cast actors for speaking roles, rather than directors.

I can’t blame Dave Filoni for wanting to be an X-Wing pilot, because I’m sure most of us have at one time or another. But he had his moment in Episode 6.

Seriously, if we’re letting directors dress up as Republic pilots, I’d say it’s Bryce Dallas Howard’s turn. She can run my transponder any day.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    This. No reason to honor an arrangement that’s being forced by dishonorable means.

Originally Posted by Wraith
    Spoiler
    Show
    But towards the end when they're travelling in the cockpit having repaired the canopy, and the camera deliberately shows its expression of - so I interpreted it - guilt, like it had realised that Mando was uncomfortable and endangered because of something it had done.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I never had a hint of guilt from the Child, just “cute little tyke keeps on causing trouble, and knows it can get away with it.”

And sadly, that seems to be the case for now.
    Last edited by Palanan; 2020-11-09 at 09:42 AM.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Mandalorian Season 2 is doing to Tuskens what D&D has slowly been doing to humanoids for the last 20 years... making them people, not just monsters.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Mandalorian Season 2 is doing to Tuskens what D&D has slowly been doing to humanoids for the last 20 years... making them people, not just monsters.
    Tuskens are monsters?
    Tuskens are people.
    Monsters are people?
    People are monsters.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    My comment wasn’t about technology, but on the strangeness of carrying unfertilized eggs anywhere outside of her body. There’s no reason to do so, and it feels very contrived just for a visual and a rather unfunny series of gags. If they were fertilized eggs it would make far more sense, since she would essentially be carrying the birthing pool in the aqueous incubator. If they were fertilized, then she really would be dealing with a situation that her species hasn’t evolved to cope with, since she would need to transport her eggs across distances that evolution never accounted for.
    Spoiler
    Show
    You're making unwarranted assumptions. We don't know the biology of this species. Maybe carrying these eggs internally necessitate producing a lot of heat and thus be huge strain on her metabolism. Maybe it would make her so bloated that she can't walk around. Maybe her species spends most of its time underwater and the eggs were never carried inside their body even before they developped technology.

Pregnancy has a lot of downsides for the mother and in real-life people often look into the feasability of a a device that would allow for it to happen in an artifical womb. Maybe this spacefaring species went ahead and did just that. Ultimately this isn't a question the episode has to answer. Frog alien has eggs in aquarium because frog aliens are not humans and that's good enough.

Spoiler
    Show
    But unfertilized…just doesn’t work. I have a feeling Favreau might have specified unfertilized in an attempt to avoid issues of the Child eating sentient beings…but as reactions here and elsewhere have already shown, that distinction was lost. Each egg is a potential sentient being, and Madame Frog only has so many of them, so each one should be precious to her.

Spoiler
    Show
    She only needs one to reach adulthood to meet her goal of preserving the lines though.

Spoiler
    Show
    In very general terms, yes—but the dialogue goes out of its way to explain that these eggs are the last of her line, and thus she’s already in an abnormal situation for her species. If these are her very last eggs, and she’s willing to make a dangerous journey with a sketchy merc she doesn’t even know, then she should be treating every last egg like spun glass.

Really, she should be compulsively counting them every five minutes. Something does seem off here.
    Spoiler
    Show
    She can barely communicate with Mando, he can barely communicate with the Child who is very obviously a toddler and they've crashed on an ince planet. Priorities.

Well played, sir, well played.
    Thank you.
    Forum Wisdom

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

confused Re: The Mandalorian Season 2

Spoiler: chapter 9
    Show

It's pretty hard to maintain tension when your lead is wrapped in impenetrable armour. To their credit the head mobster points his gun under the helmet rather than at it, but 'oh no! they're punching my steel armour' He can be swallowed by a dragon and be fine, how do you put this person in danger? There's no point in holding up someone your guns can't hurt. Even that quick draw tease doesn't work, because Mando is much safer than helmetless Vanth.

Tattooine crams in the fan service again. I'm going to assume that R5 and Anakin's podracer are just similar models, as otherwise this is dumb. Three placenames are mentioned, Mos Espa, Mos Eisley, and Mos Pelgo, because why make new settlements when you can do fan service instead.

Vanth is good. His story doesn't match Aftermath but he could just be lying. I actually do think it's unlikely that more people on Tattooine haven't heard about a Mandalorian running the mining collective out of town. I suppose they could be a very small gang, but they don't look like one, not with all that matching equipment.

It's a weird mining town in the middle of a featureless plain with no sign of any heavy equipment, but it does explain where they got all those explosives.

Making peace with the Tuskens doesn't work very well when you just use them as expendable henchpeople.

The krayt dragon politely obeys the traffic laws and goes right down the main street instead of through any buildings.

Also "You insult them by not drinking their water" You gonna take off your helmet and take a drink, Mando?

Call me pessimistic, but when like thirty of the hunting party get killed, you haven't done a great job of hunting. This plan got so many people killed, they should be ready to stone Mando and the Marshall to death in the street, beskar or not.

Also, people keep using 'womprat' like it's something small and cute. Aren't they over two meters across?

This whole thing is so very silly, I can't take it seriously.

Spoiler: chapter 10
    Show

Frog lady runs unconvincingly, like a human in a suit trying to act like a frog. Is she CG?

Mando is far too trusting.

Overall plot is okay. It seems rather unlikely that he happens to bump into the same NR pilot again. How small is this galaxy?

Spider chase was actually pretty good and tense.

20. - Top - End - #110

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire Guard View Post
    This whole thing is so very silly, I can't take it seriously.
    It appears that you have correctly identified Star Wars.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

...Touche.

22. - Top - End - #112

There's quite a difference between torturing an adult insect and eating eggs.
    The eggs came from a sapient character who, despite her seeming inability to count, cares about their welfare. Nothing else the Child has eaten thus far is equivalent; Mando's own reaction makes this clear.

Also dark humor is a thing.
    Bad humor is a thing too.

Show
    1. The eggs are not actually eggs - they are something else and the Mandalorian is being used as a smuggler.
    2. The Child is storing them inside to save them from the conditions and will regurgitate them later.
    3. It was a joke and we are meant to take it as a joke and not over think it.
    4. It is about development for this Child and the Mandalorian.
    Show
    1 is about the best that could be hoped for. It does however mean that the mechanic lady openly lied and therefore can't be trusted.
    2 is unlikely since the environment they were in (the tank) is presumably already "safe from conditions."
    3 is the most likely by far, and if so, certainly the writers aren't overthinking it (by doing little thinking at all.)
    4 I don't see what development could occur when Mando is already so bad at even monitoring the kid, let alone restricting its movements or trying to punish it in some way. In other words, neither of them is likely to learn anything from this, and I highly doubt it will even be mentioned again unless they go with 1.

Spoiler: Mando's word
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    Actually this is classic Mando and the strongest part of the episode*, every word he said was true. He exchanged his jetpack for the kid. He made no promises that the bandit would leave the area with it, or alive.

We saw this kind of "letter of the law" in the first episode too, when he assured the fight den mob boss that "you will not die by my hand." Consistent.

*With that said, the scene accomplished nothing narratively. Losing his bike clearly presented no obstacles with getting back to town, and he's almost certain to have a new bike when the plot calls for it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, so guilty that it downed yet another egg as a palate-cleanser despite specifically being told by Mando not to do that again. Gonna go with nah.

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire Guard View Post
    It's pretty hard to maintain tension when your lead is wrapped in impenetrable armour. To their credit the head mobster points his gun under the helmet rather than at it, but 'oh no! they're punching my steel armour' He can be swallowed by a dragon and be fine, how do you put this person in danger? There's no point in holding up someone your guns can't hurt. Even that quick draw tease doesn't work, because Mando is much safer than helmetless Vanth.
    He had the armor at the end of last season, and there was plenty of tension there. In fact, the Big Bad chasing him has a weapon that is very likely to be able to deal with beskar armor.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2020-11-10 at 01:03 AM.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Show

2 is unlikely since the environment they were in (the tank) is presumably already "safe from conditions."
    Spoiler: Follow Up
    Show
    We are given an indication that they are not warm enough in the tank and also that they cannot survive hyperspace - perhaps the Child could allow for both.

But yes I think this is fairly low probabality.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

He had the armor at the end of last season, and there was plenty of tension there.
    Not for me. (Admittedly I had read spoilers)

Spoiler: Season 1
    Show

The primary opposition was the same stormtroopers that have no means to hurt him that the show keeps making jokes about, helpfully standing around out in the open so they can be shot.

The scenario was built on everyone forgetting that the Imps previously had available a device that could detect where Baby Yoda was, and the idea that the fake prisoner gambit would be bought despite Mando being still in his armour.

They keep doing Western tropes that don't work in this context, like mexican standoffs. When one party is invulnerable to gunfire, that doesn't work very well, there's no stakes. Go ahead and shoot first, Mando will be fine.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

Beskar is not indestructable or impenetrable armor. Just highly durable. He can still be shot, can still take impact damage. In truth, flat out punching him or stabbing is a bigger threat than blaster fire. Since as we all know. You don't need to penetrate armor to damage the squishy human on the inside.

And Blaster fire can still kill him.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Kekkersboy

My gaming and ideas channel.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Bugbear in the Playground

He's been shot before by blaster fire, and it does manage to knock him off guard and make him stumble a bit. Shooting him is still a good strategy to create an opening to do something else to him.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ogre in the Playground

It's not completely impenetrable, but it's impenetrable enough to lower the stakes.

Any time he gets in a blaster fight or quick draw duel with people not in the same armour or in lesser armour like Vanth, he has a massive advantage, because they have to get very lucky to hurt him.

Even that high powered sniper rifle could only knock him down.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Linking it to game mechanics, compare Jango Fett's beskar armor to Jodo Kast's non-beskar armor (which is about on par with Stormtrooper armor, though stormtroopers do not have all the gear that Jodo Kast does).

Beskar is TOUGH. It resists blasters and impact incredibly well... punching him pretty much does nothing. Blasters are more of a threat, but even then, he's seldom going to feel much... which I think is borne out on screen.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Further, they're not Iron Man'd. The armor doesn't cover everything, they're still definitely vulnerable in a significant amount of their bodies.

Spoiler
    Show
    Also, I like how they finally confirmed that Din is in a small sect of zealots, as now we can officially point to that as to his behavior differing from other Mandos as well as his lack of knowledge on Jedi and the Force
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-11-14 at 07:50 AM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ettin in the Playground

@Peelee you might want to use a spoiler tag for some of that.

Spoiler: Episode 11
    Show

Not a fan.

In the majority I never really got the feeling that the Mandalorian was needed for the plan and so effectively seemed to just have him there rather then him being relevant (his moment at the end was effectively all he contributed and anyone with a grenade could have done that).

The whole 'will the child eat the eggs/tadpole' was I think somewhat overplayed also.

It ended ok and I can't claim it was filler, just not a good episode in my view.