New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 41 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Mandalorian Season 2

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Why did it take me to w2e3 to realize the Razor Crest looks like a Firefly?
    I don't think so but i totally think we should have a firefly class cargo ship in the SW 'verse.
    Que tous les anciens dieux et les nouveaux protègent la France.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam K View Post
    Sun Tzu never had tier problems. If he had to deal with D&D, the Art of War would read "Full casters or GTFO".
    Quote Originally Posted by King Louis XIII in The Musketeers
    Common sense is for commoners, not for [ PC ].

2. - Top - End - #152
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Petrocorus View Post
    I don't think so but i totally think we should have a firefly class cargo ship in the SW 'verse.
    We do, or rather, we did in Legends.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mechalich View Post
    We do, or rather, we did in Legends.
    Awesome.
    Sadly not canon any more.
    I always thought the Firefly-class was very well designed.

Sun Tzu never had tier problems. If he had to deal with D&D, the Art of War would read "Full casters or GTFO".

4. - Top - End - #154
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Petrocorus View Post
    Awesome.
    Sadly not canon any more.
    I always thought the Firefly-class was very well designed.
    Same. I also forgot it had two smaller engines on the side, so I get the Razor Crest comparison a bit more now.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

Because it took you seeing the Razor Crest miserably limping through space at a degree that makes you consider if it wouldn't be best to just shoot her and put her out of her misery for your brain to make the association.

Sure, there's some minor similarities. Unless the Razor Crest becomes a bucket of crumbling metal. Then the similarity pops out.

Says a lot about Serenity.

6. - Top - End - #156

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr2 View Post
    Because it took you seeing the Razor Crest miserably limping through space at a degree that makes you consider if it wouldn't be best to just shoot her and put her out of her misery for your brain to make the association.

Sure, there's some minor similarities. Unless the Razor Crest becomes a bucket of crumbling metal. Then the similarity pops out.

Says a lot about Serenity.
    They've been beating the "Razor Crest will give you tetanus if you just look at it" drum since Chapter 1.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Same. I also forgot it had two smaller engines on the side, so I get the Razor Crest comparison a bit more now.
    Still a lot of different IMHO.
    And this two engines are manoeuvring ones, Wash almost never fires them up when travelling straight in space.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I completely agree. For some reason the overhead view of the Razor Crest with the planet as the backdrop as it starts going in for it's "landing" evoked images of Firefly for me as well. Probably a combination of the passing resemblance between the two ships and a very similar shot composition to one we're used to in Firefly / Serenity.

On that note, the Razor Back's landing and the Mon Calamari's reaction was a laugh out loud moment for me. That kind of stupid physical comedy will get me every time.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: S2 E3
    Show
    I am going to have to watch The Clone wars faster, aren't I?

I am continuously blow away by the practical effects of this show, I mean Baby Yoda, obviously, but the Mon cal and quarren in this episode... *blows a kiss*
    Oh what will Ahsoka look like...

I am kind of disappointed we didn't get to see honest quarrens for a change, well, it is what it is.

Always nice to see Imperials getting exactly what they deserve. Also that "cargo bay control area" gag was great.

Calling it now, by he end of this show (season 4 or 5) Din is crowned Mandalore adn so truly become THE Mandalorian.

Interesting that Mando thinks the Empire "cursed" Madalore. Is that something the Children of the Watch cooked up to stop their members from connecting with other Mandalorians or did the Empire really make Mandalore uninhabitable? Also when Mando called the Jedi "sorcerers" I assumed it was just because that's the best way he had to describe the Force but it seems he already believed in magic, that's new.

I wonder what Ahsoka will make of the child, though. I assume she knows of Luke but I don't know if they've had any contact. I am pretty sure the Child won't stay with Luke because Disney ain't ever gonna imply Kylo Ren killed him.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

10. - Top - End - #160

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Show
    I am going to have to watch The Clone wars faster, aren't I?
    Spoiler: Safe for you to open
    Show
    Probs. I'm going to nest this one and label it clearly so even if you hit the "open all spoilers" button you should still be able to close it in time if you'd prefer to not read it.
    Spoiler: Quick and dirty Ahsoka Clone Wars ending spoiler
    Show
    She leaves the Jedi Order before Order 66. This doesn't spare her, the Empire still wants her head, but she was not in position for the clones to turn on her so her survival makes perfect sense. But she's technically not a Jedi, and will point that out to others.

Show
    I am kind of disappointed we didn't get to see honest quarrens for a change, well, it is what it is.
    Spoiler
    Show
    When I watched it the first time I kept thinking "ok, I shouldn't judge them immediately, just because they're Quarrens doesn't mean they're going to be evil and straight up betray him, the showrunners could easily go the other way on the-whup nope they're definitely leaning into the 'don't trust a Quarren' thing."

Show
    Calling it now, by he end of this show (season 4 or 5) Din is crowned Mandalore adn so truly become THE Mandalorian.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Actually, I hope not; I like lower-stakes, non "this is the most important thing ever" stories. It's a huge galaxy, there should be room to tell stories of less important people than the rulers of the planets.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee
    Spoiler
    Show
    Actually, I hope not; I like lower-stakes, non "this is the most important thing ever" stories. It's a huge galaxy, there should be room to tell stories of less important people than the rulers of the planets.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I kind of agree with the snetiment, but between the darksaber, Bo-Katan's ambitions and the clear indication that Moff Gideon is planning something big, I think that ship has left the astroport.
    Forum Wisdom

12. - Top - End - #162
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    I felt exactly the same thing too. For them to drop the line like "Crown a new Mandalore" in a show called "The Mandalorian" which has been following one particular, apparently quite unique Mandalorian as he meets new people and makes new friendships wherever he goes.... It's either going to be Din, *or* he is going to play Kingmaker, be instrumental in the reunification of the Mandalorians, and then ride off into the sunset just looking for his next bounty.

Spoiler
    Show
    Interesting that Mando thinks the Empire "cursed" Madalore. Is that something the Children of the Watch cooked up to stop their members from connecting with other Mandalorians or did the Empire really make Mandalore uninhabitable? Also when Mando called the Jedi "sorcerers" I assumed it was just because that's the best way he had to describe the Force but it seems he already believed in magic, that's new.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I suppose there's curses and then there's Curses. One implies a magical hex placed upon it by sorcerers to wreak havoc on all who visit; the other is just a turn of phrase indicating what a craphole the place has been turned into after thousands of years of warfare, conquest and reconquest. I can see how Din - or the Children of the Watch in general - would be told it was one, and due to the sort of mystical regard for which they hold Mandalore the Great they assumed it was the other.

We're definitely going to go there at some point, of course. I don't believe for a second that Din is going to make it out of this series and remain the stoic, fundamentalist that he has been so far, and seeing the radioactive desert where his clan's ancestors were founded will be a plausible way of doing that.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

13. - Top - End - #163
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire Guard View Post
    How densely populated is Tattooine? Given their water issues, there may not be that many settlements.

It may be a reach, it really depends (I haven't seen the episode).
    The number of towns can apparently be pretty much counted on one hand. This is consistent with most renditions of the planet, including, say, Star Wars Galaxy, where the planet was mostly empty save for a handful of notable landmarks. Lots of empty desert between anywhere anyone would live.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Safe for you to open
    Show
    Probs. I'm going to nest this one and label it clearly so even if you hit the "open all spoilers" button you should still be able to close it in time if you'd prefer to not read it.
    Spoiler: Quick and dirty Ahsoka Clone Wars ending spoiler
    Show
    She leaves the Jedi Order before Order 66. This doesn't spare her, the Empire still wants her head, but she was not in position for the clones to turn on her so her survival makes perfect sense. But she's technically not a Jedi, and will point that out to others.
    Well...

Spoiler: Ashoka's life story
    Show
    she also is one of the most important supporting character in Rebels, and has ties to the surviving Jedi of the time

15. - Top - End - #165

Well...

Show
    she also is one of the most important supporting character in Rebels, and has ties to the surviving Jedi of the time
    Yes, but I was trying to keep it pretty concise.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ettin in the Playground

Well...

Show
    Spoiler: Rebels
    Show
    a possibility I find intriguing, is that meeting the child might be what inspires ahsoka to go track down Sabine, in the rebels epilogue, so that they can search for the last Jedi they know of. Mando's probably not invited though.

17. - Top - End - #167

Quote Originally Posted by Rakaydos View Post
    Spoiler: Rebels
    Show
    a possibility I find intriguing, is that meeting the child might be what inspires ahsoka to go track down Sabine, in the rebels epilogue, so that they can search for the last Jedi they know of. Mando's probably not invited though.
    Spoiler: Well that's just plain unfair
    Show
    Mando clearly makes for a pleasant dinner guest.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Well that's just plain unfair
    Show
    Mando clearly makes for a pleasant dinner guest.
    Spoiler: is it?
    Show
    I bet he chews with his mouth open. Didn't really get an education that would teach him table manners.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2020-11-18 at 04:40 AM.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ogre in the Playground

The number of towns can apparently be pretty much counted on one hand. This is consistent with most renditions of the planet, including, say, Star Wars Galaxy, where the planet was mostly empty save for a handful of notable landmarks. Lots of empty desert between anywhere anyone would live.
    This raises a new question of 'why does Mando not know about Mos Pelgo?'

20. - Top - End - #170

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire Guard View Post
    This raises a new question of 'why does Mando not know about Mos Pelgo?'
    Because it's not on the same scale as Mos Espa or Anchorhead, most likely. Looked like those towns where it takes 90 seconds to drive through downtown, and even that is only because of the traffic lights. There may be a handful of big cities and another handful of Pelgo-sized ones, where nobody but they locals would know or care.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-11-18 at 08:52 AM.

21. - Top - End - #171

Griffon

Another plausible answer to that is that Din is an interplanetary bounty hunter - he's been to dozens of different planets and hundreds of different towns, why should he remember little hamlets that he has never been to even if he could have heard their name before?

Similarly, although he's been to Tatooine plenty of times, what we've seen so far suggests that he mostly spent his time there with the Tuskans speaking their sign-language and learning a selection of their hooting calls. Doesn't matter how much time he's spent on Tatooine if he's spent it with the native tribes who don't speak Common; even if they did know the name of Mos Pelgo, they wouldn't say it as 'Mos Pelgo'.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    even if they did know the name of Mos Pelgo, they wouldn't say it as 'Mos Pelgo'.
    Marshall: Hey do they have a name for "Mos Pelgo"?
    Mando: Let me ask. *makes hand gestures*
    Tusken: *makes handg gestures*
    Mando: Well, I don't know how to pronounce that, but I recognized the gestures for "camp", "people", "exit" "brain" and I think... "anus"?
    Marshall: Yeah, sounds about right.
    Forum Wisdom

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Just watched Chapter 12 and I'm spoilering my reaction for although I don't want to spoil anything I have to take precautions in case I accidentally do spoil something you would rather see for yourself!

Spoiler
    Show
    Very good episode unlike Chapter 10 they have an appropriate use of cameo by those behind the series!
    Thoroughly enjoyed this and there are plot reveals I won't go into but do expand on the theories behind the series as well as support something I think many would rather not happen.

Not what I expected, well I guessed the plot for this episode last week, but after those videos claiming this might not be as good as chapter 11 well guess what it WAS!

Apologies to those who feel I failed to properly spoiler this!

Spoiler
    Show
    I sense an Obi Wan moment coming on!

Now I really needed to apologize, but when you watch this episode you will understand why!

24. - Top - End - #174

Spoiler: Theories
    Show
    They're trying to Clone the Emperor. Possibly also Vader, maaaaybe Luke. I could see them having Luke's hand from Bespin, but that seems more like a plan for an existing Force user to have. I think they're just trying to bring back Palps.

Other than that, it's possible that they're trying to just manufacture a way to become Force users, but I don't see why the vats would be required for that. Unless those were the failures kept for study.

ETA: bit of a rant here.
    Spoiler: The recaps
    Show
    GODDAMIT DISNEY why the hell can I not auto-disable your stupid ****ing recaps? Every other episode it was just an annoyance, this one it actually told me "hey this character is coming back". I avoid everything online so I don't have that happen to me (which didn't work for Fett, Katan, or Ahsoka, because no website would shut the **** up about them),but the goddamn recaps?! You're a streaming show! Why do you even have them to start with?! It's not like if the viewers missed last week's episode they'll be stuck without context. And it's a dozen episodes at this point, with a pretty ****ing easy-to-follow plot. If someone forgets Horatio Sanz, guess what, they're not really missing much!

This isn't against the recaps in general, though, this is against the embedded recaps which are part of the video and have no way of being disabled. I always skip them (which is slightly annoying to begin with), but this one I couldn't skip before the show spoiled its own ****ing reveal. And it's a small one, but guess what Disney, doesn't matter, there's no goddamn reason in the age on computers on a show streaming in your own goddamn servers to not have a disable function for it.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-11-20 at 09:19 AM.

25. - Top - End - #175

Griffon

Spoiler: Theories
    Show
    They're trying to Clone the Emperor. Possibly also Vader, maaaaybe Luke. I could see them having Luke's hand from Bespin, but that seems more like a plan for an existing Force user to have. I think they're just trying to bring back Palps.

Other than that, it's possible that they're trying to just manufacture a way to become Force users, but I don't see why the vats would be required for that. Unless those were the failures kept for study.
    I haven't seen the episode yet, so I may change my mind later on, but...

Spoiler
    Show
    ...This sounds like a plausible tie-in to Grand Leader Snoke, allowing The Mandalorian to be a direct link between Return of the Jedi and The Force Awakens.

The Mandolorian takes place several years after the Battle of Endor, but not so many years that we're even close to Ben Solo being grown up and/or trained by Luke Skywalker. Similarly, Snoke was a clone of Palpatine, but an imperfect and badly damaged one - the obvious link between the two is that a lot of time and effort was spent trying to perfect the process, which took many, many years and many, many failures before a viable product (Snoke) was created.

What makes me think it even more is that in s02e03 the antagonists are very definitely Imperial officers, using the same callsigns and words as the previous movies - they're not a proto-Empire or a defunct splinter, they still believe themselves to be a part of the true Empire.

So, a potential plot: Palpatine's contingency plan was for a faction of Imperials to practice cloning on other Force users - hence their interest in Baby Yoda - before moving on to Big E in the end. It's a process that's going to take 40 years to perfect, but right now they're still needing test subjects and practice.

26. - Top - End - #176

I haven't seen the episode yet, so I may change my mind later on, but...

Spoiler
    Show
    ...This sounds like a plausible tie-in to Grand Leader Snoke, allowing The Mandalorian to be a direct link between Return of the Jedi and The Force Awakens.

The Mandolorian takes place several years after the Battle of Endor, but not so many years that we're even close to Ben Solo being grown up and/or trained by Luke Skywalker. Similarly, Snoke was a clone of Palpatine, but an imperfect and badly damaged one - the obvious link between the two is that a lot of time and effort was spent trying to perfect the process, which took many, many years and many, many failures before a viable product (Snoke) was created.

What makes me think it even more is that in s02e03 the antagonists are very definitely Imperial officers, using the same callsigns and words as the previous movies - they're not a proto-Empire or a defunct splinter, they still believe themselves to be a part of the true Empire.

So, a potential plot: Palpatine's contingency plan was for a faction of Imperials to practice cloning on other Force users - hence their interest in Baby Yoda - before moving on to Big E in the end. It's a process that's going to take 40 years to perfect, but right now they're still needing test subjects and practice.
    Spoiler
    Show
    So the more I think about the Emperor, the less likely it seems. His entire post-death plan was for the Empire to implode (which seems at odds with the idea of creating the First Order elsewhere and rebuilding from scratch. You suck, Abrams), so the only people who would be warlords still wielding the hammer of Imperial might would be the ones who went against this plan. So wanting him back would probably be the last thing these warlords want.

Also, the thought of bodies rejecting the injections and volunteers (or "volunteers" as I'm almost positive is the case) means that they're trying on already-existing creatures. So I think the "Moff Gideon wants to make himself a Force user" is the stronger theory. Maybe also try to create an entire class of Force users under his control.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Spoiler: Chapter 12:
    Show
    So, it looks like Gideon wants the child to use its blood to clone an army of force-sensative super soldiers. Not exactly a huge or unexpected revelation. It's really incredulous to think that the child's blood would be compatible with the blood of a human. (At least I assume the failures in the vats are human.) But Star Wars was never about hard science so I'll let it slide. Although, considering how all of the volunteers died, it looks like the blood isn't so compatible.

And what made Mando think that he could instruct the child to be an electrician? The baby barely understands words. Still, it was nice to see the writers try to do something else cute with the child other than having it trying to get food... which they then quickly went back to in this episode.

28. - Top - End - #178

Griffon

Spoiler
    Show
    Maybe also try to create an entire class of Force users under his control.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Force-using Clone Troopers? That's just insanely stupid and dangerously poorly thought-out enough that it could be true....

...Then again, wasn't that similar to Finn's aborted background in the new trilogy? He was a force-sensitive child kidnapped and forced to grow up as a storm trooper who somehow slipped through screening - just like an entire spaceship full of similar troopers that they discovered in The Rise of Skywalker.

Wild Mass-Guessing from me, I know, but I can see the link. The Empire gives beaten by the last of the Jedi, so they use their science to try and make Jedi-clones to top the meta. It goes horribly wrong, their test subjects are rescued and freed (By a certain bucket-headed Bounty Hunter...?) then in a generation or two's time there's a fresh crop of force-sensitive kids arising.....

Or they might write-off the movies altogether and ignore it. I doubt it will be a completely clean break, given how many references and Easter eggs have already appeared in the show so far, but we won't know how much further they'll go until they do it.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2020-11-20 at 11:00 AM.

29. - Top - End - #179

Spoiler
    Show
    Force-using Clone Troopers? That's just insanely stupid and dangerously poorly thought-out enough that it could be true....

...Then again, wasn't that similar to Finn's aborted background in the new trilogy? He was a force-sensitive child kidnapped and forced to grow up as a storm trooper who somehow slipped through screening - just like an entire spaceship full of similar troopers that they discovered in The Rise of Skywalker.

Wild Mass-Guessing from me, I know, but I can see the link. The Empire gives beaten by the last of the Jedi, so they use their science to try and make Jedi-clones to top the meta. It goes horribly wrong, their test subjects are rescued and freed (By a certain bucket-headed Bounty Hunter...?) then in a generation or two's time there's a fresh crop of force-sensitive kids arising.....

Or they might write-off the movies altogether and ignore it. I doubt it will be a completely clean break, given how many references and Easter eggs have already appeared in the show so far, but we won't know how much further they'll go until they do it.
    Spoiler: Rise of Skywalker
    Show
    There was a ship full of Force-sensitive troopers? I must have missed that part*, possibly due to it being an entire trilogy's worth of plot** packed into the third part of a "trilogy".

*Well, given the quality of that movie, I wouldn't say I missed it.
    **If you can call it a plot.

I hate you, Abrams.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Not that I want to defend the Sequel Trilogy (because I don't) but...

Spoiler
    Show
    The Force Awakens had problems but it needed to be followed by someone who could take those mystery boxes Abrams loves and make use of them.

For example Han returned to smuggling to help fund Leia's Resistance.

Rey was raised on Jakku by someone that should have been revealed to have been a survivor of Order 66 who left her with that urge to return to Jakku to wait for someone an urge that ended when she learned Finn returned for her.

The Last Jedi was a mess!

I'm not excusing Abrams but episode 8 needed a complete rewrite to turn it into anything worthy of being a sequel even for episode 7 which was far from perfect but still tried.

Rise of Palpatine and yes that should have been the title as it would have worked better despite the problems it poses!

Now back to the Mandalorian

Spoiler
    Show
    Those were Dark Troopers in that lab aboard that ship at the end?!!

The same troopers that in Dark Forces a single trooper wiped out an entire rebel base?!
    In the comics just one posed a major threat, does anyone remember which comics series it must be legends by now I doubt Disney has even noticed what the latest episode just revealed!

Sorry, but...OMG!
    Last edited by Hopeless; 2020-11-20 at 01:33 PM.