New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Sorcerous Origin: Dweomerdrinker [PEACH]

Sorcerous Origin: Dweomerdrinker

In the world at large, there is an overabundance of magic. It fills the skies, drowns the seas, and permeates the land. And much of it is tame, happily subservient to any spellcaster who speaks the right words and makes the right gestures. It is neither good nor bad - it simply is, as neutral as a knife.

In a world so full of potential prey, is it any wonder that sometimes, just sometimes... a predator is born?

1 :- Consume Dweomer
    You learn Counterspell and Dispel Magic as 1st level spells, which don't count towards the number of Sorcerer spells you know. When you expend a 1st or 2nd level slot to cast either of those spells, they only automatically end spells of that level or lower. Whenever you counter or dispel a spell, you gain sustenance as if you just ate a full meal.

6 :- Spellbreaker's Will
    Whenever you would make a saving throw against a magical effect, you may spend 2 spell points as a reaction. If you do, you may make a Charisma saving throw instead of whatever the effect would normally call for. If you succeed, that effect ends as if you had successfully countered or dispelled it - if that effect would have affected other creatures, this takes place before they make their own saving throws.

14 :- Tearing The Weave
    You are proficient in the Charisma checks called for by Counterspell and Dispel Magic. Your predatory nature affects your other spells as well - whenever a spell you cast would cause another spellcaster to make a Concentration check, that check is made against your spell save DC if the DC would otherwise be lower. Additionally, you may dispel magic items as if they were a spell of the level given by the table below - if you succeed, they stop functioning for the next minute and any attunements to that item immediately end.

Common
    1st
    Uncommon
    3rd
    Rare
    5th
    Very Rare
    7th
    Legendary
    9th

18 :- Voracious Spellmaw
    Whenever you successfully counter or dispel a spell, you regain sorcery points equal to that spell's level.

---

I don't know if they should get an extra 1st level feature. I was considering making it so you can only eat spells... but eh.

I know Spellbreaker's Will is kinda weird, but the idea is that instead of ducking out of the way of a Fireball (or whatever), you're forcibly disbelieving it instead. You're staring that spell in the face, and telling the universe that that spell doesn't exist. If you succeed, there's no spell, so no-one else needs to make a saving throw.
    Last edited by Amechra; 2020-09-16 at 02:25 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Sorcerous Origin: Dweomerdrinker [PEACH]

I like it! I would also lower the cost of Spellbreaker's Will to 1 sp.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

Feels way too powerful in it's niche.

If you face casters, you’ll be overwhelming.
    If not, you’ll be without a subclass, generally.

Cool ideas, but needs to be lessened in power but made broader.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Old Harry MTX View Post
    I like it! I would also lower the cost of Spellbreaker's Will to 1 sp.
    I originally had it at 1 sorcery point, but that felt too easy - especially when you hit higher levels, and countering spells gives you back sorcery points. I'll consider it, especially since...

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    Feels way too powerful in it's niche.

If you face casters, you’ll be overwhelming.
    If not, you’ll be without a subclass, generally.

Cool ideas, but needs to be lessened in power but made broader.
    Yeah, I was worried about that. I might change Consume Dweomer around to add more general utility (delaying the point when you gain the spells to 5th level like how the Shadow Sorcerer handles things would probably be for the best), and broadening Spellbreaker's Will a bit (to make it clear that it affects stuff like dragon breath) might be enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    I originally had it at 1 sorcery point, but that felt too easy - especially when you hit higher levels, and countering spells gives you back sorcery points. I'll consider it, especially since...
    Maybe you can let it cost depending on the spell level, like 1 sp up to 3rd level, 2 sp up to 6th, and then 3 sp...

But I feel that 3 sp are too much, I mean, you still need to pass the save throw.