New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default On phylacteries and the Snarl

Hmmmm. If the Snarl gets Red Cloak and also Xykon’s phylactery does Xykon merely lose his safety net or does Xykon go poof? Conversely if the Snarl gets Xykon but not the phylactery what happens? Snarl annihilation seems different from regular death so I don’t know what would happen.

Light the lamp not the rat LIGHT THE LAMP NOT THE RAT!!!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Default Re: On phylacteries and the Snarl

My guess would be that the phylactery being destroyed by the snarl would work exactly the same as it's said to work for a more mundane destruction: Xykon's soul is still in his body, so he would remain alive undead and able to walk and talk and cast spells, but if anything were to destroy him before he could make a new phylactery, then he'd be gone for real.

What happens if the Snarl destroys Xykon's body while his phylactery remains intact is probably more up for debate (though I'd say that it's likely he'd be kaput right away and his soul, such as it is, would be annihilated before it could retreat to his phylactery).

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gurgeh View Post
    What happens if the Snarl destroys Xykon's body while his phylactery remains intact is probably more up for debate (though I'd say that it's likely he'd be kaput right away and his soul, such as it is, would be annihilated before it could retreat to his phylactery).
    Yup. The Snarl does not destroy the body and the soul separately. It destroys both at once. If the soul of a mortal cannot flee to the outer planes when their body is destroyed by the Snarl, why should the soul of a lich be able to flee into its phylactery when its body is destroyed?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Gurgeh View Post
    My guess would be that the phylactery being destroyed by the snarl would work exactly the same as it's said to work for a more mundane destruction: Xykon's soul is still in his body, so he would remain alive undead and able to walk and talk and cast spells, but if anything were to destroy him before he could make a new phylactery, then he'd be gone for real.

I'd say its the other way round. The phylactery is Xykons soul-hidey place, meaning he keeps his soul in it and remotely pilots his body. If the Snarl destroys the phylactery (and the soul within), Xykons body crumbles. If his body is destroyed but this phylactery is alive, he can make another one.
    Which is probably why Redcloak is keeping Xykons phylactery close at hand is so he can chuck it to the Snarl. No more phylactery, no more Lich.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    I'd say its the other way round. The phylactery is Xykons soul-hidey place, meaning he keeps his soul in it and remotely pilots his body. If the Snarl destroys the phylactery (and the soul within), Xykons body crumbles. If his body is destroyed but this phylactery is alive, he can make another one.
    Which is probably why Redcloak is keeping Xykons phylactery close at hand is so he can chuck it to the Snarl. No more phylactery, no more Lich.
    In Ian Starshine's day, destroying the phylactery would be enough. Somewhere in 3.0 or 3.X, however, the immutable laws of the universe changed so that you had to destroy both the phylactery and the lich. I blame a WotC DM whose players completely bypassed his Big Boss encounter by scrupulously avoiding the lich itself in favor of finding the (not well-hidden-enough) phylactery.
    Last edited by Lord Torath; 2020-09-16 at 01:28 PM.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

6. - Top - End - #6

That's officially not the case.
    Spoiler: SoD
    Show
    Redcloak threatens to destroy his empty phylactery when Xykon goes ballistic upon learning that he cannot enjoy coffee anymore, attacking Right-Eye in the process. Xykon explains that he may as well destroy it, because he's not in there at that point.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    In Ian Starshine's day, destroying the phylactery would be enough. Somewhere in 3.0 or 3.X, however, the immutable laws of the universe changed so that you had to destroy both the phylactery and the lich. I blame a WotC DM whose players completely bypassed his Big Boss encounter by scrupulously avoiding the lich itself in favor of finding the (not well-hidden-enough) phylactery.
    Thank you for saying that. (The 'How I beat Sauron' by Frodo Baggins is a trope, eh?)
    It just occurred to me that Sauron (LoTR) and Xykon(OoTS) have one thing in common: neither one, at the height of their powers, can enjoy a cup of coffee.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2020-09-16 at 03:59 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

8. - Top - End - #8

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Thank you for saying that. (The 'How I beat Sauron' by Frodo Baggins is a trope, eh?)
    It just occurred to me that Sauron (LoTR) and Xykon(OoTS) have one thing in common: neither one, at the height of their powers, can enjoy a cup of coffee.
    Did Middle Earth even have coffee? Or tea? Doesn't one of the hobbits make reference to tea? Where did the tea come from?

9. - Top - End - #9

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    That's officially not the case.
    Spoiler: SoD
    Show
    Redcloak threatens to destroy his empty phylactery when Xykon goes ballistic upon learning that he cannot enjoy coffee anymore, attacking Right-Eye in the process. Xykon explains that he may as well destroy it, because he's not in there at that point.
    Huh. I thought the phylactery housed the Lich soul (as I think it was in the Korschei myths) rather than acted as a safety net for it. In which case Xykons body would be more vulnerable to the Snarl than the phylactery.
    (and really I much prefer the idea of Lich Heist campaigns than Punch-The-Wizard fights. Facing enemies you can't legitimately defeat makes you way more incentive.)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Did Middle Earth even have coffee? Or tea? Doesn't one of the hobbits make reference to tea? Where did the tea come from?
    Given that they have tobacco (Tolkien gives a long explanation about how it came from Numenor) and the Numenoreans got what sounds suspiciously like tomatoes from the Elves even further West, I don't see why they wouldn't have tea or coffee.

Edit: adressing the thread's actual topic, even archfiends aren't sure so don't expect a definitive answer from us.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2020-09-16 at 05:24 PM.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

For Riftwolf: where would one find tea in Middle Earth?

Near Harandor or Khand, I would guess.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2020-09-16 at 10:45 PM.
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Edit: adressing the thread's actual topic, even archfiends aren't sure so don't expect a definitive answer from us.
    But DO expect wild speculations!

The archfiends' uncertainty makes me think that maybe the soul and the phylactery are linked somehow...like an appliance plugged into an outlet.

Cutting power to the outlet (regular death) won't annihilate the device, but something like a power surge or lightning strike (Snarl Death) could very well destroy the device too.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Through Rhûn would be my guess, as that’s much more eastward than everything else.

Or maybe Dorwinion, wherever that is.
    Forum Wisdom

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

It's all grown by the Entwives.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by snowblizz View Post
    Gandalf is offered tea by Bilbo during the unexpected party but asks for wine. He had, in fact, been invited over for tea in the first place. When Gandalf visits Frodo just prior to the long expected party, he is offered wine and asks for tea. Bilbo also puts out coffee for the dwarves during the unexpected party. So both exist.

On-topic, as a longtime AD&D (1e & 2e), I side with Ian Starshine on this one. Destroying the phylactery should destroy the lich, but post New Edition, it would seem it does not in OOTS.
    You found the secret message! Don't forget to edit the wiki!

16. - Top - End - #16

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by knag View Post
    Gandalf is offered tea by Bilbo during the unexpected party but asks for wine. He had, in fact, been invited over for tea in the first place. When Gandalf visits Frodo just prior to the long expected party, he is offered wine and asks for tea. Bilbo also puts out coffee for the dwarves during the unexpected party. So both exist.

On-topic, as a longtime AD&D (1e & 2e), I side with Ian Starshine on this one. Destroying the phylactery should destroy the lich, but post New Edition, it would seem it does not in OOTS.
    Thinking about it, if tobacco grows in the Shire, then there's no reason coffee or tea couldn't grow either. It just means the Shire doesn't have a British climate (or even an idealised British climate). Thinking about it, the seasons in Middle Earth are kinda muddy anyway; doesnt the Fellowship try to take the pass of Caradhras in winter? Even without the fell voice on the air, mountaineering in winter would be near suicidal for them.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, bravo, well played!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

10/10 best answer.
    Thinking about it, if tobacco grows in the Shire, then there's no reason coffee or tea couldn't grow either. It just means the Shire doesn't have a British climate (or even an idealised British climate). Thinking about it, the seasons in Middle Earth are kinda muddy anyway; doesnt the Fellowship try to take the pass of Caradhras in winter? Even without the fell voice on the air, mountaineering in winter would be near suicidal for them.
    It just serves to underscore how much they didn't want to go in Moria.
    Forum Wisdom

19. - Top - End - #19

Flumph

Tea doesn't grow on British climate?

20. - Top - End - #20

Planetar

In SoD, if I'm not mistaken, we see a couple of souls being captured. It makes me wonder if one can do the same trick against a Lich and thereby nullify its phylactery?

21. - Top - End - #21

What if it's split between the two like Voldemort?
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

22. - Top - End - #22

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Precure View Post
    Tea doesn't grow on British climate?
    If it did, we wouldn't have had to import the stuff for centuries.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Huh. I thought the phylactery housed the Lich soul (as I think it was in the Korschei myths) rather than acted as a safety net for it. In which case Xykons body would be more vulnerable to the Snarl than the phylactery.
    (and really I much prefer the idea of Lich Heist campaigns than Punch-The-Wizard fights. Facing enemies you can't legitimately defeat makes you way more incentive.)
    By the way Xykon reacts when Blackwing attempts to drop the Phil into the Snarl, I bet he really doesn't knows how it works. The scene in SoD was probably a massive bluff by Xykon that Redcloak ate. Bluff is a class skill for Sorcerers, and Charisma is their primarly attribute.

I mean, Redcloack's plan when he made Xykon a Lich was always to control him via the Philactery, assuming that destroying it would destroy the Lich. But when threatening him with destroying the Philactery failed, he was too scared to try destroying it anyway. After the ending of SoD, the point was moot because Redcloak would never allow Xykon get destroyed until the fulfillment of The Plan.

Anyway, regarding the OP question, I see three possiblities:

1- Xykon's soul is in his body, the Philactery is totally empty until Xykon's body is destroyed. If this is the case, getting Xykon unmade by the Snarl would effectively destroy him, as the Snarl would unmade his soul also. In theory, casting Soul Bind inmediately after destroying the body should also prevent the Philactery from rebuilding his body.

2- Xykon's soul is in his Philactery, and destroying the Philactery will destroy Xykon. As mentioned, this is the traditional interpretation of how a Philactery works, and it's the one Redcloak did probably believe, initially. Under this interpretation, getting Xykon's body destroyed by the Snarl is meaningless. Main problem I see with this interpretation is that Xykon should be able to feel where his Philactery is, or at least tell a fake one from the real, because his soul is inside it and he should sense it.

3- Xykon's soul is in his Philactery, but the soul is totally detatched from him. Therefore, destroying the Philactery will not destroy the Lich, just prevent his regeneration, like in option #1. However, destroying the Body to the Snarl or casting a Soul Bind after destroying the Body would be meaningless because, like in option #2, the soul is not there. And it would make sense that Xykon can't tell a fake from his real Philactery because he's totally detatched from the Soul inside it.

My bet is that Xykon doesn't knows which of the three scenarios is the correct one, and he's obvously not going to perform experiments to find the truth.
    Last edited by The Pilgrim; 2020-09-19 at 12:09 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by The Pilgrim View Post
    because his soul is inside it and he should sense it.
    I don't know if this is something to do with D&D, because otherwise I don't know why he should be able to sense his soul?
    E.g. if you remote control a vehicle with a cam, even if other sensory input also would go through the vehicle to your input station, you don't sense if you are getting closer to yourself.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BaronOfHell View Post
    E.g. if you remote control a vehicle with a cam, even if other sensory input also would go through the vehicle to your input station, you don't sense if you are getting closer to yourself.
    Perhaps. But if you are remotely controling a vehicle, you definitely know where you are.
    Last edited by The Pilgrim; 2020-09-20 at 10:41 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26

Lizardfolk

Perhaps. But if you are remotely controling a vehile, you definitely know where you are.
    Maybe not. If you wake up in a dark soundproof room in the seat of a remote piloting device with video/audio feed, you'd know where the machine you're operating is but not where you are.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Maybe not. If you wake up in a dark soundproof room in the seat of a remote piloting device with video/audio feed, you'd know where the machine you're operating is but not where you are.
    Still you would know you aren't in the machine.

But, you know, I don't mind. I like the idea that Xykon's soul may be in the Philactery but he believes to be in the skeleton body.

28. - Top - End - #28

Lizardfolk

Still you would know you aren't in the machine.
    That'd depend on the sophistication of the machine, surely. But going back to Baron's point; let's say you're piloting a machine from an enclosed box. You know you're not in the machine, and can sense the world through audio/video feed, but you don't know your location. The machine can travel round a building with several boxes inside. How does the machine recognise the box of its controller?

29. - Top - End - #29

By the way Xykon reacts when Blackwing attempts to drop the Phil into the Snarl, I bet he really doesn't knows how it works. The scene in SoD was probably a massive bluff by Xykon that Redcloak ate. Bluff is a class skill for Sorcerers, and Charisma is their primarly attribute.

I mean, Redcloack's plan when he made Xykon a Lich was always to control him via the Philactery, assuming that destroying it would destroy the Lich. But when threatening him with destroying the Philactery failed, he was too scared to try destroying it anyway. After the ending of SoD, the point was moot because Redcloak would never allow Xykon get destroyed until the fulfillment of The Plan.

Anyway, regarding the OP question, I see three possiblities:

1- Xykon's soul is in his body, the Philactery is totally empty until Xykon's body is destroyed. If this is the case, getting Xykon unmade by the Snarl would effectively destroy him, as the Snarl would unmade his soul also. In theory, casting Soul Bind inmediately after destroying the body should also prevent the Philactery from rebuilding his body.

2- Xykon's soul is in his Philactery, and destroying the Philactery will destroy Xykon. As mentioned, this is the traditional interpretation of how a Philactery works, and it's the one Redcloak did probably believe, initially. Under this interpretation, getting Xykon's body destroyed by the Snarl is meaningless. Main problem I see with this interpretation is that Xykon should be able to feel where his Philactery is, or at least tell a fake one from the real, because his soul is inside it and he should sense it.

3- Xykon's soul is in his Philactery, but the soul is totally detatched from him. Therefore, destroying the Philactery will not destroy the Lich, just prevent his regeneration, like in option #1. However, destroying the Body to the Snarl or casting a Soul Bind after destroying the Body would be meaningless because, like in option #2, the soul is not there. And it would make sense that Xykon can't tell a fake from his real Philactery because he's totally detatched from the Soul inside it.
    Or, 4- His soul is divided between the two (like Voldemort from Harry Potter)
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)