New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Starfinder: Should I Duel?

I've talked myself into a corner in a Starfinder game I'm in and need some advice: I'm playing a Solarian and challenged another Solarian to a duel all Jedi-like and stuff. Another player told me OOC that this was a really really bad idea, as Starfinder's rules aren't designed with one-on-one fights in mind, and I'll get slaughtered. But I'm not sure how to get out of the challenge *I* made without making it look like I made said challenge in bad faith. To be fair, I was not expecting the guy I challenged to accept my terms and was just going to jump into battle with his squad against the party.

What do I do?
    Last edited by Archpaladin Zousha; 2020-09-16 at 06:16 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Starfinder: Should I Duel?

Is the npc built on pc rules or the enemy npc rules? If it's built on the npc rules then it will be a combat npc with the solarian npc package, maybe with some modifications depending on the DM. The CR will determine the stats.

If it's built as a PC try to find out the armor it's wearing and any weapons being carried. Then check the net for solarian builds that match that to get an idea of what it can do.

And yeah, pcs and npcs are way diff in SF. Pcs are lower on offense but higher on defense than npcs. It's done so mind control & pvp are less dangerous for pcs. If the npc is built on pc rules then expect a whiff fest with what seems like plinky little damage.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

I believe they're built as an NPC. This is from an Adventure Path book.

EDIT: He's apparently CR 10, and I'm 8th level.
    Last edited by Archpaladin Zousha; 2020-09-16 at 06:18 PM.
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Figure out how to lose the fight in a narratively satisfying (and hopefully nonlethal) way?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Wish I could, but this guy's made it abundantly clear that he'll only accept a fight to the death, and one of my party members adamantly refuses to let anyone in the party die, duel or no duel.
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Ok, be prepped for about a +22 attack for 2d10+10+str melee or 4d6+10 ranged, ac about 24 to 26, saves +12/+9, dc 17 abilities, one 24 skill and 2 19 skills, 5 resolve, 165hp. Of course it will have a bunch of the class special abilities.

What's your liad out at?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

My what?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Archpaladin Zousha View Post
    My what?
    Sorry, speling. Load out. What do you have to work with? Also there may be opportunity for your party to help you, depending on when/where/how the duel is set up.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Well, it's a moot point now: the aforementioned party member has moved to join the fray and the other party members have followed suit, so now we're fully engaged with the group of enemies instead of a one-on-one fight. And considering the leader managed to deal 29 points of damage to me in a single attack, I'm now convinced my plan to duel them was indeed a bad idea. Thanks for the advice, though!