New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Truename Summoning

Ok so I like the idea of Truename but hate how it was handled, So I have been milling over what might be cool ways to handle its use. Here is one idea that still needs some fleshing out but I thought was pretty good start.

Use DMG alternate summoning rules pg37 + UA summoning Variations + Truename skill

So now casters have their summons having a theme say the wizard is researching a fire plane and all their summons revolve around fire, and I leverage Truenaming to determine what creatures and how powerful they are.

Anyways it is still a pretty rough idea so let me know your thoughts. Also if you have come up with any cool ways to leverage the otherwise useless truename skill I would love to hear them.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Truename Summoning

All the truespeak skill does is say how proficient you are in speaking truespeak. If you want something closer to fluff and the first real portrayal in NWN:HotU, you could say that a personal truename is more of an accurate description and add a third category maybe called existential truename that allows it's speaker to alter and compel it's very essence. So once you find this harder to discover truename you only need to get the truespeak check right the first time to control something.

Truename spells are relatively more powerful than their same level counterpart except with a really good chance of failure: Bulwark of Reality is a +6 armor bonus as a 1st level spell, Truename dispel at 8th level lets you choose what effects to dispel or leave with only a truespeak check. The biggest problem though is that characters' truespeak DC is equal to twice their HD while creatures only require CRx2 which is almost always lower than their HD. This is great, if you want to be helpful to your enemies.