Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default How do rust monsters affect warforged?

EDIT Should they have a vulnerability to rust monsters?
    Last edited by FabulousFizban; 2020-09-29 at 04:46 PM.
    May I borrow some bat guano? It's for a spell...

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: How do rust monsters affect warforged?

Related -- are Warforged in any danger from Bags of Devouring?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Instant death, no save. Seems the most fair way to do it.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Looks like DM discretion.

I am a fan of the idea that rust monsters are dangerous to warforged, but remember they are made from wood as well as metal. Now, sure, skinning a person is usually still deadly, so there's good argument that a rust monster is just plain lethal to warforged.

But I dislike how disproportionate this is. Most monsters want to eat the adventurers, but most can't kill them with a single touch.

The rust monster attack says it doesn't affect enchanted metal and you could argue any living metal must be enchanted.

So I would probably rule it as partially effective against warforged, in the spirit of keeping it a kind of threat in the balance range the game intends. In 5e, rust monsters are still cr 1/2, so I'd compare it to a Giant Wasp, whose poison deals 3d6 damage. Warforged can make a Dex save to avoid being touched by the attenae, just as the rules say for normal humanoids protecting their armor.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Some play RPG's like chess, some like charades.

Everyone has their own jam.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

My default would be to say they don't do anything they can't do to humanoids. Otherwise examine the exact wording in the edition you want to play and make determinations from there.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyDaze View Post
    Instant death, no save. Seems the most fair way to do it.
    I know you're joking, but even if you were to declare them specially effected by the rust monster's attack, magic items (and Warforged should totally count as magic) get a save in 3.5 and are outright immune in 5e. Alternately you could argue that Warforged are made of a metal that doesn't rust.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

I for one support the Gnoman Empire.

Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing

E6 Iron Chef XXI Shared Second Place: The Shadow's Hand

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Depends on the edition, but usually the rust monster's effect is not instant against armor. A Warforged's skin is metal armor. Its innards are wood and metal. So I would have a rust monster be more effective against a Warforged (degrade the AC, deal +X% damage) but will not be an instant kill.

And since a warforged is living metal, however they heal that edition will still work against these wounds.
    Last edited by OldTrees1; 2020-09-18 at 08:02 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

In terms of absolute simulationism, I guess I'd agree that Warforged are made of magic metal, and thus immune to rusting, at least for vital components.

However, if I were playing a warforged, I think I'd want a reason to be especially afraid of these buggers. Being a robot is the fantasy, and having robot fears is part of that fantasy: thus, rust.

I'd go with CR appropriate damage (3d6 for 5e sounds about right to me), plus some amount of dexterity damage. Let's say 1d4, fixable with a long rest and some WD40.
    I've got a fiction podcast!
    Also, I'm working on a Campaign Log!
    Also, you're looking great today, did you get a haircut?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Warforged were first created in 3.5e Eberron.
    The subject of rust monster attacks is dealt with right in the race description & rules. Since I'm not sure I can directly quote, the summary is:

The bodies of waeforged are vulnetable to rust attacks (inclusing those by rust monsters). Those cause 2d6 damage with a reflex save for half damage.

If you are playing other editions, you may be able to extrapolate from that.

1. Special projects:
    Campaign logs archive, Campaign planning log, Tactical mass combat Homebrew, A unique monsters compendium.
    2. My campaign logs:
    Three from a GM's POV, One from a player's POV. Very detailed, including design and GMing discussions.
    3. Various roleplay and real life musings and anecdotes:
    For those interested, from serious to funny!

Thanks for reading!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kol Korran View Post
    Warforged were first created in 3.5e Eberron.
    The subject of rust monster attacks is dealt with right in the race description & rules. Since I'm not sure I can directly quote, the summary is:

The bodies of waeforged are vulnetable to rust attacks (inclusing those by rust monsters). Those cause 2d6 damage with a reflex save for half damage.

If you are playing other editions, you may be able to extrapolate from that.
    To me, that's how it should be. Not the 2d6, save for half. No, it should be in the race description: If your race has some extra-special weakness, that information needs to be in the race description.

Hence I'd say, if it isn't - then it isn't. So Warforged have no special weaknesses.