New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

ClericGuy

Question Wack-a-mole removing debuffs

I'm starting to go crazy with all of the different condition effects my DM is throwing out. As my party's Cleric I end up having to ties up a significant amount of my spell slots with spells just to keep the team moving. Cure Disease, remove paralysis, Healing Lorecall, etc. Just hit level 6, but I know at 7 I have to start prepping Panacea as well. How can I weaponize my spells when I'm always holding them in reserve for what if senarios? Heck at the end of the day I may still have slots, but they're filled useless debuff spells he didn't hit us with this time... Thanks for the ideas.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Wack-a-mole removing debuffs

It's expensive, but Spell Mastery + Uncanny Forethought can help you resolve this if you have 17 INT.

If your DM will let you qualify for Versatile Spellcaster using your spontaneous conversion to cure spells, you can use that to lighten the burden.
    Quote Originally Posted by eggynack View Post
    What I care about here, though, is that the highest standard of pedantry is upheld.
    Know-It-All
    Long Arm of the Law
    Phantom of the Opera
    Arthropods, the Bane of Giants
    Horselord
    Mother Cyst of Invention
    Rule #15: a hero is only as good as his weapon!
    Master of Disguise

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Have the group pool in resources to buy wands of such buff removal spells. Alternatively, consider taking up the Craft Wand feat (since you just leveled up to 6th, you might even have a chance to just switch whatever feat you chose for Craft Wand). If the idea of xp costs of crafting magic items worries you, depending on your alignment you could look into Distilled Joy/ambrosia or dark craft xp, from the Book of Exalted Deeds and Book of Vile Darkness respectively. Even with those options out of the picture, since you would be doing everyone a huge favour by crafting such wands, rules exist to allow even your non-caster friends to split xp costs with you and it is far from unreasonable to ask the other party members to do so.
    Last edited by Uncle Pine; 2021-02-02 at 11:45 AM.
    Extended signature here. Contains: 2 avatars, 3 quotes, a doggo and his friends.

Kitchen Crashers: an adventure building Iron Chef - First edition running 20/04/18-18/05/18.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Could you elaborate more on what a typical day’s breakdown is? Remove disease is generally a morning after (or right before you rest for clerics that get spells at dusk) spell that you can afford some delay on. Other things are typically infrequent enough to be covered by consumables but it sounds like that might not be the case for you.
    If all rules are suggestions what happens when I pass the save?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I'd say have a look at which ones you use the least and buy scrolls of them, a scroll may cost more per use than a wand but it's only one-thirtieth of the total cost so it's more practical if it's something you won't use all that often. And as others have said, make sure the rest of the team pay their share, there's no reason you should be solely responsible for the cost of healing magic.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

If you get a wand of resurgence, it can pull a lot of weight for its price tag.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Biggus View Post
    I'd say have a look at which ones you use the least and buy scrolls of them
    This.

And the party should be throwing in. Same with CLW/Vigor wands.

Groups I play in often run an extra share or two of treasure for consumables . So for my current 7 players, they split the treasure 9 ways. 2 spare shares go into a pool to buy cure wands, status-removing scrolls (including Status:Dead), and some basic rare-but-essential buff items (water breathing potions, etc). Plus other party-wide supplies. At low levels, that might be the cost of the inn and a mule. At mid levels, maybe a few teleport scrolls or a Staff of Passage. High levels? I dunno. Miracle scrolls? Mirror of Mental Prowess?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Sounds like the DM is doing their job, though maybe a little overzealously- the Cleric is supposed to be protecting against and removing bad statuses (and if there's no status, it's probably raw damage that wants more hit point recovery).

• Remove Disease- Morning after, keep one on a scroll in case there's an obscure effect that will kill you today without it. You can also pre-buff with Delay Disease, 1st level 24 hours, and just chain that until you've got 3rds to spare.
    • Remove Paralysis- There are very few monsters with paralysis that lasts long enough to require curing, so morning after. Unless you need it just to survive the fight, in which case you should probably fight in a way that results in less paralysis.
    • Healing Lorecall- So you're being hit with long-term daze, fatigue, and nausea as well? Again, there are surprisingly few effects that actually inflict these for longer than the fight, or an hour. Must be fighting Hags, or stuff with Stinking Cloud spam? Prevent at the source if you can.
    • Panacea- includes disease, so you won't need Remove Disease any more.

I'd be more concerned about poison or negative level spam myself, as those require 4th level countermeasures (or 2nd if you just delay the poison). Of course, all bets are off if the DM is using optimized PC-classed NPCs, which can throw anything at you as much as they want. Or forcing monster-closet ambushes you can't avoid, which should be giving more xp.
    Last edited by Fizban; 2021-02-02 at 11:17 PM.
    Fizban's Tweaks and Brew: Google Drive (PDF), Thread
    A collection of over 200 pages of individually small bans, tweaks, brews, and rule changes, usable piecemeal or nearly altogether, and even some convenient lists. Everything I've done that I'd call done enough to use in one place (plus a number of things I'm working on that aren't quite done, of course).
    Quote Originally Posted by Violet Octopus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    sheer awesomeness