New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Is there a good story purpose for giant fruit and vegetables in serious fantasy?

Quote Originally Posted by SandyAndy View Post
    Well, monsters are usually carnivores. Giant monsters would be giant carnivores...
    And giant fungi to digest the fallen giant trees? And giant bacteria to digest the giant fungi? A whole giant ecosystem coexisting with the "regular" one!

Or the giant monsters, carnivores, and herbivores could just eat LOTS of the regular carnivores, herbivores, and plants.

I'm not saying any of it is a bad idea, but I wouldn't say that the existence of giant plants must logically follow from the existence of giant monsters.
    -- Joe
    “Shared pain is diminished. Shared joy is increased.”
    -- Spider Roninson
    And shared laughter is magical

Always remember that anything posted on the internet is, in a practical if not a legal sense, in the public domain.
    You are completely welcome to use anything I post here, or I wouldn't post it.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Is there a good story purpose for giant fruit and vegetables in serious fantasy?

To be honest looking at everything I would say that most big monsters would be highly aggressive herbivores. They eat trees, giant pumpkins, and other mega fauna.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by jqavins View Post
    I wouldn't say that the existence of giant plants must logically follow from the existence of giant monsters.
    I agree, there doesn't have to be giant flora to go with your giant fauna. The Whale Shark lives on plankton so you can do giant monsters without giant plants. However, your giant ecosystem sounds awesome! Particularly the giant bacteria. Imagine a creature so massive that instead of digestive bacteria it has green slimes! 10 out of 10. Would do a Magic School Bus style anatomic dungeon crawl.