New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default [5e Warlock] New Invocation: Share Spells

Share Spells
    Prerequisite: Pact of the Chain
    Your familiar may cast spells you know using your Pact Magic spell slots.

Design thoughts: this leans heavily towards having your familiar cast control spells that aren’t reliant on good casting stats, and is a huge advantage for Concentration due to giving the Warlock a second Concentration “slot” in the form of his familiar.

It doesn’t make spells the warlock needs to be the caster for more powerful other than by freeing that second concentration slot for BFC. It might make familiars able to do some weird things.

I’m unsure if limiting it to Pact Magic spell slots is necessary or desirable; it mostly impacts multiclassing but also limits use of at-will spells granted by cantrips and invocations.

Should familiars with this be able to cast eldritch blast or silent image at will if their warlock masters have the right cantrip or invocation? Note that the familiar would still lack any invocations that improve eldritch blast.

Maybe remove the Pact Magic thing and just say they draw their spell slots from their master’s repository, as a separate clause, so that if it costs no spell slot the familiar can spam it. But if so, maybe make it require level 5 in Warlock?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [5e Warlock] New Invocation: Share Spells

Share Spells
    Prerequisites: Pact of the Chain, 9th Level
    Your familiar can use your Pact Magic spell slots to cast cantrips you know, so long as it is within 60 feet of you and can see you.

I'd maybe go with something more like that. I'm not sure it's a good idea to let it use leveled spells, and it's definitely not a good idea to let it do that without a range limit or minimum warlock level.
    "Come play in the darkness with me."
    Thanks for the avatar, banjo1985!

Spoiler
    Show

I guess I'm a Neutral Good Human Wizard (4th Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength- 14
    Dexterity- 15
    Constitution- 17
    Intelligence- 20
    Wisdom- 20
    Charisma- 12
    Take the 'What D&D Character am I?" Quiz!

Somehow I doubt the veracity of this quiz :P
    Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by Edea View Post
    Share Spells
    Prerequisites: Pact of the Chain, 9th Level
    Your familiar can use your Pact Magic spell slots to cast cantrips you know, so long as it is within 60 feet of you and can see you.

I'd maybe go with something more like that. I'm not sure it's a good idea to let it use leveled spells, and it's definitely not a good idea to let it do that without a range limit or minimum warlock level.
    Making it spend your spell slots to use a Cantrip makes this pretty worthless, honestly.

The original idea for this was actually more along the lines of Solicit Psicrystal than Share Spells, but I realized that passing Concentration off was less potentially flavorful and interesting than letting a Pact of the Chain familiar just have access to the Warlock's spellcasting.

Put the range limit on the distance you can communicate with your familiar from, perhaps?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

It would be simpler using your familiar as the medium of your spell using its line of sight.
    ""Jeez, this dress! i look like a dominatrix""
    (self-loathing): ""Actually , you look like a sorceress or something""
    ""Hey, no need to get cruel""

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by faustin View Post
    It would be simpler using your familiar as the medium of your spell using its line of sight.
    Simpler, yes, but missing some key elements. Is this a critique saying that letting the familiar be an extra action (as long as it's not attacking with the spell) or extra source of BFC Concentration is too powerful? Or is it just a statement that letting them be a second point from which to originate spells is simpler, without addressing those considerations?

Edit: Reading that, I think it comes off snarky, and I do'nt mean it to, but I'm having trouble rewording it. I'm asking mainly if I'm reading a correct implication in, or if you meant what you said only denotatively.

The simplest way to achieve what I initially wanted would be to say, "Your familiar can take over Concentration on your spells for you," but I thought that letting them be the caster would be a little more elegant, with a bit more up and down side to balance things around.
    Last edited by Segev; 2020-09-21 at 11:51 AM.