New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Bugbear in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGirl

Default Re: OOTS #1215 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    People still think he's going to finish the books?
    Yes. Maybe?

I'd bet on it, mainly because things are surprisingly resurrected from time to time. Samurai Jack comes into mind.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tawnyterror View Post
    If none of the other commotion got the others attention, this fireball is absolutely going to do the trick- so I'm expecting to see the others within the next two pages (either a flash to them or them storming in, I don't know exactly how close the dwarves are to them)
    Good thinking, the fireball is a perfect way to get the rest of the party to either swoop in and trigger the first half of the big fight here, or more probably rescue everyone and absolutely ruin the element of surprise.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

3. - Top - End - #273
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by unbjorn View Post
    Hmm, I haven't checked with the bookie on the what the Order is going to do line, but I saw you and tawnyterror betting on the Order rushing in within 2 panels so I guess I'm only getting 3:1
    You'll get better money than my even money bet, if you win.
    People still think he's going to finish the books?
    My guess is that he'll die soon; my money is on him pulling a Robert Jordan.

He has not taken care of himself.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

4. - Top - End - #274
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    You'll get better money than my even money bet, if you win.
    He'd get Brandon Sanderson to do it? I don't really think that level of ultra-grimdark is Sanderson's style.
    Stop using good evidence and logic that makes sense to refute points, that's my job
    Lots of people seem to use blue for sarcasm, I decided I should too
    Quote Originally Posted by nabcif View Post
    Nitpick: I believe you'll find that only our heads explode. Page 43 of Book of Pedantic Forumites, if memory serves.
    I have joined the ranks of the FFRPeople Here is my character.

Thank you to Linkele for creating my avatar!

5. - Top - End - #275
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Personification View Post
    He'd get Brandon Sanderson to do it? I don't really think that level of ultra-grimdark is Sanderson's style.
    If the money's right, maybe Brandon will stretch his muse a bit.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

6. - Top - End - #276
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by bunsen_h View Post
    "He sat down on the ground, and taking the dagger-hilt laid it on his knees, and he sang over it a slow song in a strange tongue."

Either he's doing something pointlessly superstitious, or he's doing something magical.

Now, the limited perceptions of the Hobbit viewpoint don't get to see what's really going on there. But something is.
    There's also using the Palantir, and there's also summoning and army of the dead, then dismissing it once done. He wasn't necessarily a magical practitioner, but he had a certain magic about him because he's King.

Likewise, while Aragorn uses Athelas, his healing abilities are a callback to Royal touch , the belief that kings had the special, miraculous ability to heal. And if you read closely in "The houses of healing", he doesn't just use herbs. He calls both Faramir and Eowyn back, and they come to him because he's the king. Faramir says as much.

Quote Originally Posted by Faramir
    "My Lord, you call. I come. What does the king command?"
    Aragorn as king is both the lawful king and a morally upright man. Because of this he has abilities and powers of right ordinary mortals do not have. This is exactly the sort of attitude the old English song When the King Enjoys His Own Again invokes.

It's also an attitude anathema to people who , to say no more, have a strong anti-monarchical tradition. In modern American tradition, as in Star Wars or SOIAF, the king is someone like Palpatine. Star Wars portrays a revolt against a tyrant. Sure, you have princesses and Queens, but you'll notice they don't do much actual ruling. Instead they spend most of their arcs fleeing for their lives or chained up in slave pens or tossed into arenas with bare midriffs. They don't do much actual ruling. And Queen Amidala is democratically elected in any case.

Kings and queens can be sympathetic figures when they're on the run. Kings and queens who are ruling on their thrones are not sympathetic characters. Aside from Palpatine, the closest characters we get that fit that mold are Boss Nass and Jabba, neither of whom are sympathetic.

In ASOIAF, GRR Martin lifted a fair amount of kingly and queenly behavior directly from Shakespeare and from medieval and ancient history. So we have one king who's the product of generations of incest and mad. You have another king, born to privilege, who thinks nothing of cutting out the ears or tongues of minstrels who displease him. All of which makes the point that choosing a lifetime ruler based on his/her parents is a pretty bad idea.

I think that's part of why ASOIAF is a modern answer to the somewhat romantic LOTR. It's not just that.. As a rule,, when a named good guy dies in LOTR they've done something to bring it on themselves. Thorin hoards his gold and plots war against men and elves. Boromir falls to the lure of the Ring. Theoden is an exception, but he gets a glorious death.

GRR Martin is a lot closer to real war; in his stories, when there is fighting , people die. Good characters die, and so do bad ones, sometimes randomly out of the blue. Not good deaths, either. Some people are shot down in the privy like dogs. Because that's what real war does. Real war isn't a morality tale, and virtue makes a poor substitute for solid cover as a protection against bullets.

There's a certain irony there, because Tolkien knew real war a heck of a lot better than Martin did, but he chose not to pass that particular part of the story on in his tales.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    Last edited by pendell; 2020-09-25 at 07:02 AM.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

-Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    There's a certain irony there, because Tolkien knew real war a heck of a lot better than Martin did, but he chose not to pass that particular part of the story on in his tales.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    It's not really irony. Tolkien knew what war was and didn't want anyone else to have to experience it (it's not exactly uncommon). His purpose was precisely to write a classic medieaval style myth, not an actual blood and grit medieaval story. As his interest lay in the style and language used in such works, rather than necessarily the content itself. Which I guess maybe ironically says more about our modern times focusing on the blood and grit than they would have in medieaval times. They got enough of that around them.
    Last edited by snowblizz; 2020-09-25 at 08:13 AM.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jaziggy View Post
    They have extra-planar 'accents' to their voices, but it's not resolved whether that's the product of origin or growing up somewhere, so it's certainly possible. My guess is the frail remnants of destroyed pantheons, but that's just a guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    The half-dragon bounty hunter had the same 'accent' bubbles.
    And not just Enor; the Empress and Girard-the-Booby-Trap also had dark colour on light colour, as I keep pointing out.
    While, accordingly, I still think that the bubbles indicate draconic heritage (I'm thinking dragons or half-dragons), there is another possibility as well: they might be giants. Storm giants would be my first guess, since they are somewhat more sophisticated than most and they can levitate under their own power.
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2020-09-25 at 09:24 AM.

9. - Top - End - #279

Nah. I really doubt any publisher or the theoretical future Martin estate wants specifically Brandon Sanderson to write aSoIaF nearly as much as Tor wants him to keep writing SA books, so if there is a bidding war over his talents I would bet Tor would fight hard for it. Plus, Brandon hasn't shown himself to be the type whose muse is stretched by money anyway. He writes what he wants to write, and he does it nonstop.
    Stop using good evidence and logic that makes sense to refute points, that's my job
    Lots of people seem to use blue for sarcasm, I decided I should too
    Quote Originally Posted by nabcif View Post
    Nitpick: I believe you'll find that only our heads explode. Page 43 of Book of Pedantic Forumites, if memory serves.
    I have joined the ranks of the FFRPeople Here is my character.

Thank you to Linkele for creating my avatar!

10. - Top - End - #280
    Halfling in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    And not just Enor; the Empress and Girard-the-Booby-Trap also had dark colour on light colour, as I keep pointing out.
    While, accordingly, I still think that the bubbles indicate draconic heritage (I'm thinking dragons or half-dragons), there is another possibility as well: they might be giants. Storm giants would be my first guess, since they are somewhat more sophisticated than most and they can levitate under their own power.
    As I was putting together the list I was thinking 'there was a red dragon at some point' but couldn't put together the Empress and 'dragon' probably because she doesn't exactly meet one's expectations. And it's a great point that the giants also have blue on blue.

It seems to me that a creature gets a non-standard bubble if they are infused with and partially sustained by magical energy.

I think we're probably reading a bit too much into stylistic color choices that don't actually reflect preplanned, concrete patterns- the most we can do is rule *out* being types which have already spoken and have a different 'accent'. So it's safe to say they aren't terrestrial mortal beings, aren't air fairies, aren't frost giants, aren't black or red dragons, aren't undead, etc.

11. - Top - End - #281

There's also using the Palantir, and there's also summoning and army of the dead, then dismissing it once done. He wasn't necessarily a magical practitioner, but he had a certain magic about him because he's King.

Likewise, while Aragorn uses Athelas, his healing abilities are a callback to Royal touch , the belief that kings had the special, miraculous ability to heal. And if you read closely in "The houses of healing", he doesn't just use herbs. He calls both Faramir and Eowyn back, and they come to him because he's the king. Faramir says as much.
    Grey Watcher was asking for examples of Aragorn unambiguously working magic, not merely using a magic item, being a master herbalist, or Being King. The stuff about calling Eowyn and Faramir back could be, basically, a placebo effect. But his chanting over the Nazgûl's dagger hilt was either a pointless ritual at a crucial time -- highly unlikely -- or some kind of magic working.

EDIT: The stuff about the army of the dead was clearly magical. But was it Aragorn working magic? Was it a property of the ghosts, that a non-magical king could invoke? Or a use of the "artifact", the Stone of Erech?
    Last edited by bunsen_h; 2020-09-25 at 12:18 PM.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jaziggy View Post
    As I was putting together the list I was thinking 'there was a red dragon at some point' but couldn't put together the Empress and 'dragon' probably because she doesn't exactly meet one's expectations. And it's a great point that the giants also have blue on blue.

It seems to me that a creature gets a non-standard bubble if they are infused with and partially sustained by magical energy.

I think we're probably reading a bit too much into stylistic color choices that don't actually reflect preplanned, concrete patterns- the most we can do is rule *out* being types which have already spoken and have a different 'accent'. So it's safe to say they aren't terrestrial mortal beings, aren't air fairies, aren't frost giants, aren't black or red dragons, aren't undead, etc.
    Indeed. We would probabbly be better off trying to exclude options, but even that can be tricky. Dragons (and creatures with draconic affinities), for instance have been shown to consistently use one of two possible patterns: dark colour on light colour (the one we've just discussed) and white on dark(ish) colour (incidentally, we have a blue dragon example for both patterns). So, again, for instance, dark orange on light orange may very well represent a red dragon (if a black dragon with red eyes can use white on purple).

13. - Top - End - #283
    Titan in the Playground

Good characters die, and so do bad ones, sometimes randomly out of the blue. Not good deaths, either. Some people are shot down in the privy like dogs.
    I don’t think that’s a good example. That particular death was anticlimactic for a reason.
    Spoiler
    Show
    It’s the worst death Tywin could have had. For all his grandstanding about his legacy, the aura of dread he cast upon the entire continent, the intricate plots and the mass violence he wrought, he died for insulting a smallfolk girl whose name he couldn’t recall and for the sadly mundane crime of being an abusive father.

Death in ASOIF is only random for bit characters, just like it is in LOTR, but there are just so many more bit characters.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2020-09-25 at 01:46 PM.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

EDIT: The stuff about the army of the dead was clearly magical. But was it Aragorn working magic? Was it a property of the ghosts, that a non-magical king could invoke? Or a use of the "artifact", the Stone of Erech?
    The magic in this case, IMO, was the oath the people who were now dead swore. An oath, in middle earth, is magic anyone can work.

Quote Originally Posted by Silmarilllion
    For so sworn, good or evil, an oath may not be broken, and it shall pursue oathkeeper and oathbreaker to the world's end.
    The living men, then, were the ones who bound themselves to this fate when they swore the oath to Isildur. And since the oath was sworn to Isildur only Isildur or his heir could release them from it. Any king of Isildur's lineage could have done so, but none ever did. And thus they lingered after death in an awful half-life until they could be freed from the power of their own words.

But because they had bound themselves to Isildur by means of this oath, Aragorn had power over them. That is why I call this an act of magic: Because he summoned them by the power he had over them, and dismissed them afterwards by that same power. That's not Vancian magic, but it is one of the five types of magic of the older form: Summoning, binding, cleansing, banishing, sending.

That is why I take issue with the idea of "magic", in Middle-Earth. It's not a Vancian casting system. There are not necessarily any identifiable verbal or somatic components , and we certainly don't see Gandalf trying to collect material components for his spells. Magic is more like what the pacific islanders call mana, personal power. People speak words, and the words have power. That is why Gandalf was reluctant to utter the language of Mordor even at noon. It also doesn't have definable, game-mechanic-friendly effects. Gandalf is exactly as powerful as he needs to be for the purpose of plot.

And the same with Frodo -- he casts a spell in the wight's lair, summoning Tom Bombadil. Again, it is not his own power that causes this to happen, but the bond he shares with Tom, in that Tom has promised to help him within Tom's realm if Frodo recites the rhyme. In this it is more like the magic of an FF summoner than western-style magic, since it is more about relating to spiritual beings than it is wielding raw power through repeatable processes. That second is more like fantastic technology than it is "magic" per se.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

-Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

15. - Top - End - #285

Lizardfolk

The magic in this case, IMO, was the oath the people who were now dead swore. An oath, in middle earth, is magic anyone can work.

The living men, then, were the ones who bound themselves to this fate when they swore the oath to Isildur. And since the oath was sworn to Isildur only Isildur or his heir could release them from it. Any king of Isildur's lineage could have done so, but none ever did. And thus they lingered after death in an awful half-life until they could be freed from the power of their own words.

But because they had bound themselves to Isildur by means of this oath, Aragorn had power over them. That is why I call this an act of magic: Because he summoned them by the power he had over them, and dismissed them afterwards by that same power. That's not Vancian magic, but it is one of the five types of magic of the older form: Summoning, binding, cleansing, banishing, sending.

That is why I take issue with the idea of "magic", in Middle-Earth. It's not a Vancian casting system. There are not necessarily any identifiable verbal or somatic components , and we certainly don't see Gandalf trying to collect material components for his spells. Magic is more like what the pacific islanders call mana, personal power. People speak words, and the words have power. That is why Gandalf was reluctant to utter the language of Mordor even at noon. It also doesn't have definable, game-mechanic-friendly effects. Gandalf is exactly as powerful as he needs to be for the purpose of plot.

And the same with Frodo -- he casts a spell in the wight's lair, summoning Tom Bombadil. Again, it is not his own power that causes this to happen, but the bond he shares with Tom, in that Tom has promised to help him within Tom's realm if Frodo recites the rhyme. In this it is more like the magic of an FF summoner than western-style magic, since it is more about relating to spiritual beings than it is wielding raw power through repeatable processes. That second is more like fantastic technology than it is "magic" per se.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    Perhaps someone with better LOTR knowledge will correct me on this, but Aragorn saving Faramir and Eowyn was a magical feat, as previously Aragorn had been unable to heal Frodos wound from the Morgul Blade (Faramir was hit by a Black Dart, while Eowyn was hit with the Black Breath as the Witch-King died (I can't remember if Merry made his save against it because of his Hobbit nature)) with herblore, only delay the poison. Its further explained that Aragorn can cast magic thanks to his elvish blood. Tolkien made clear regular humans (and possibly hobbits) couldn't learn spells.
    Saying that I disliked the Aragorn/Denethor dynamic in the story (the guy who spent his life in the wilderness is a better ruler than the guy who spent his life ruling a land under siege thanks to innate nobility).

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    I don’t think that’s a good example. That particular death was anticlimactic for a reason.
    Spoiler
    Show
    It’s the worst death Tywin could have had. For all his grandstanding about his legacy, the aura of dread he cast upon the entire continent, the intricate plots and the mass violence he wrought, he died for insulting a smallfolk girl whose name he couldn’t recall and for the sadly mundane crime of being an audible father.

Death in ASOIF is only random for bit characters, just like it is in LOTR, but there are just so many more bit characters.
    Sounds kinda Tarquiny to me. Tarquinesque?
    Last edited by Riftwolf; 2020-09-25 at 01:22 PM.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    Perhaps someone with better LOTR knowledge will correct me on this, but Aragorn saving Faramir and Eowyn was a magical feat, as previously Aragorn had been unable to heal Frodos wound from the Morgul Blade (Faramir was hit by a Black Dart, while Eowyn was hit with the Black Breath as the Witch-King died (I can't remember if Merry made his save against it because of his Hobbit nature)) with herblore, only delay the poison.
    Faramir was hit by a regular arrow (which may or may not have been poinsoned). Wounds that are left alone for a long time get pretty bad. What is a Black Dart even supposed to be?
    Not that the idea of the Black Riders playing darts on their down time isn’t a hilarious one.

Merry also got a bad case of the Black Breath and needed Aragorn’s help.

Its further explained that Aragorn can cast magic thanks to his elvish blood. Tolkien made clear regular humans (and possibly hobbits) couldn't learn spells.
    Humans can cast spell: the Mouth of Sauron is described as a sorcerer and Beorn can change into a bear. Hobbits can also disappear much better than humans can. What is and isn’t magic seems to be a cultural thing on Middle-Earth but it seems every people has access to some supernatural ability.
    Also Beren straight up chats with a ghost once.

Saying that I disliked the Aragorn/Denethor dynamic in the story (the guy who spent his life in the wilderness is a better ruler than the guy who spent his life ruling a land under siege thanks to innate nobility).
    Aragorn was raised by Lord Elrond (and his mother who was « queen » of the Rangers) he also spent a lot of time as a captain under Theoden’s and Denethor’s fathers before being leader of the Rangers so it’s not like he’s got zero experience. Also Denethor wasn’t a bad ruler, just a bad father.

I’d take Tarquin over Tywin.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Tarquin broke Haley’s Hand. Tywin has Tysha gang-raped and forced his son to participate.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2020-09-25 at 01:46 PM.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Maybe, except George R. R. Martin went out of his way to ensure that nobody will go on to finish his books after he dies. The Wheel of Time was finished because his widow approached Brandon Sanderson with his dying wish to finish the series.

18. - Top - End - #288

I doubt anything GRRM can do will equal what Sir Pterry did.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thermophille View Post
    Maybe, except George R. R. Martin went out of his way to ensure that nobody will go on to finish his books after he dies. The Wheel of Time was finished because his widow approached Brandon Sanderson with his dying wish to finish the series.
    That's not really true.

Jordan had written EXTENSIVE notes on exactly how pretty much every major plot thread was to be resolved.

George RR Martin has done no such thing, and actively avoids telling anybody concrete information.

It SEEMS to be that he gave the showrunners a roadmap to finish the TV series roughly equivalent to how he wanted to end the books, but given the insane backlash to how poorly they execute it, I think its highly likely the ending of the books will change (if we ever even get it).

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Orc in the Playground

The word is definitely "Tarquinian".
    (This signature intentionally left blank)

21. - Top - End - #291
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Olinser View Post
    Jordan had written EXTENSIVE notes on exactly how pretty much every major plot thread was to be resolved.

George RR Martin has done no such thing, and actively avoids telling anybody concrete information.
    We had the same idea there, but you definitely phrased it better.

22. - Top - End - #292

I don't think it's as simple as that. For example, if Sam had sworn an oath to Frodo that he wouldn't rest until the Ring was destroyed, and then been killed, I don't think his shade would have been hanging around. Frodo just didn't have the mojo... at least, not in the early days. In the later days, if he'd sworn to Frodo while Frodo was holding the Ring -- i.e. the same circumstances as when Frodo told Gollum to back off or else -- that might have been a different matter. Whereas Isildur could invoke such a binding.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Olinser View Post
    That's not really true.

Is it known definitively that he hasn't written such notes?
    Last edited by bunsen_h; 2020-09-25 at 04:27 PM.

23. - Top - End - #293

PaladinGuy

but Aragorn saving Faramir and Eowyn was a magical feat, as previously Aragorn had been unable to heal Frodos wound from the Morgul Blade (Faramir was hit by a Black Dart, while Eowyn was hit with the Black Breath as the Witch-King died (I can't remember if Merry made his save against it because of his Hobbit nature)) with herblore, only delay the poison.
    The wound of the Morgul Blade was as much a curse as a wound.

24. - Top - End - #294

DwarfClericGuy

Rerail attempt:

My over/under for V being shipped back to Hell is 5 more strips.

25. - Top - End - #295

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Sloanzilla View Post
    Rerail attempt:

My over/under for V being shipped back to Hell is 5 more strips.
    Rerail attempt reinforcement: Unless Roy is really, really stupid or impatient, I doubt the Order will engage with Xykon right now. I can't really imagine any other scenario that'd warrant a soul-yank for at least ten more strips.

26. - Top - End - #296

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    they might be giants.
    Now I'm imagining it's particle man and triangle man.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by understatement View Post
    Yes. Maybe?

I'd bet on it, mainly because things are surprisingly resurrected from time to time. Samurai Jack comes into mind.
    He's 72 years old, hasn't written a new word in almost ten years, and spends all his time doing fan conventions or developing new shows for HBO. Where would he even find the time to write? I think he's just lost interest.

Certainly more likely than him actually finishing the books himself, at any rate.

Is it known definitively that he hasn't written such notes?
    Not to my knowledge, but on the other hand-- broad strokes of the plot aside, he doesn't seem to know how it's supposed to continue from here.

28. - Top - End - #298

Kobold

Xykon: "So, what were you two discussing for so long?"
    Oona: "Ooo! Lots of bugbear style negotiation!"
    Xykon: "Negotiation?"

29. - Top - End - #299

Not to my knowledge, but on the other hand-- broad strokes of the plot aside, he doesn't seem to know how it's supposed to continue from here.
    Again, what's the evidence for that?

Mind you, my idea of "funny" would be an April Fools article about how the series would be completed by a collaboration by Spider Robinson and Piers Anthony.
    Spoiler: Joke explained
    Show
    Robinson is notorious for wrangling stories through contortions to produce happy endings which are extremely unlikely given the original setup. Anthony is notorious for starting series well and then driving them down, down, down in quality, then further down, then adding a few more sequels to continue the trend. And very weak word play which he thinks of as "puns". And a fetish about girls' panties in young-adult books. And this concept that his protagonists' utter nobility of character and integrity will always be rewarded by success. And then writing some more terrible sequels.
    Last edited by bunsen_h; 2020-09-26 at 12:42 AM.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JonahFalcon View Post
    Xykon: "So, what were you two discussing for so long?"
    Oona: "Ooo! Lots of bugbear style negotiation!"
    Xykon: "Negotiation?"
    Oona: "Redcloak suggests big explosion, tiny lady reply with big hammer! Very spirited debate!"
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad