New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1215 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Baine View Post
    I guess it depends on if he was listening in on the conversation or not.

If Xykon was at the bottom of the ravine, would he have been able to hear most of it?
    As good an opportunity as it would be for him to call back to the +8 bonus to listen checks, I don't think so.

Xykon's too arrogant to bother eavesdropping on underlings. If he'd had a problem with the meeting he'd have swanned in and demanded to know what was going on. If he's just getting here now, it's unlikely he heard the exact details of the conversation.

I think the dwarves are going to flee into a door marked with an X, but it'll be one of the extra ones mitd marked so will still have monsters in it. Team evil won't follow them in due to Durkon's plot armor but will post a guard outside in case they come out, and Durkon will use word of recall or something else to get them out either before or after a few random encounters, or maybe getting some exposition from the dungeon denizens on what Xykon is looking for and where it is.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

2. - Top - End - #152
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    I'll take that bet.
    Because yeah, Xykon's smarter than he likes to let on.
    But if he knew what the Plan really was he would absolutely not be helping. If he already knew what the ritual did he wouldn't have asked Tsukiko to figure it out - that only tells us that he's suspicious. We know he doesn't trust Redcloak, but if he knew that this ritual he's been trying to perform for ~30 years, the ritual he
    Spoiler: SOD
    Show
    died for
    , has absolutely nothing to do with his goals, Redcloak would be either dead or wishing he was.
    Hm, fair. Let me scale that back a bit and say that he's generally aware that Durkon's here to negotiate with Redcloak to get the goblin to flip sides, but doesn't know all of the details (hence why he might be trying to listen in on the meeting).

I just find his appearance right when Durkon and Minrah were escaping to be a bit too much of a coincidence is all. Especially with the set-up of Oona having been listening too, and not intervening.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ogre in the Playground

If they ever transition to 5e Xykon is gonna have a blast, literally... no more layered protections making Clerics untouchable!

4. - Top - End - #154
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by King of Nowhere View Post
    yes, when fighting a prepared spellcaster, it is generally wise to open with some dispelling. it's more reliable than guessing. especially since xykon has superb dispelling which should work wonders

also, i believe this fight is, among other things, meant to show that the oots are no longer badly outmatched by xykon as they used to be.
    The keyword here is "Wise". IMHO Xykon has been always rash, trying to brute force his way through most encounters - e.g. the Ghost-Martyrs of the Sapphire Guard. Most probably he's being dismissive of Durkon and Minrah while the OotS is learning the value of preparedness.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    As good an opportunity as it would be for him to call back to the +8 bonus to listen checks, I don't think so.

Xykon's too arrogant to bother eavesdropping on underlings. If he'd had a problem with the meeting he'd have swanned in and demanded to know what was going on. If he's just getting here now, it's unlikely he heard the exact details of the conversation.
    And it would not matter much if he did. This came up in previous threads as well, and the thing is, Redcloak can simply tell Xykon that a lackey of that Greenhilt guy tried to trick him into abandoning the Plan (which he did not quite seem to understand) via posing as „an emissary of the gods” presenting a „peace offer”, but he didn't buy it and cast Implosion on him. Redcloak did not say anything incriminating during the negotiations with Durkon.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Clistenes View Post
    If they ever transition to 5e Xykon is gonna have a blast, literally... no more layered protections making Clerics untouchable!
    True enough, however Rich some time ago (IIRC some time during 4e) made the observation that he's not going to change editions in the strip (and he gave some reasons). He did an interesting take on the 3.xe and 4e differences in a story in the Snips, Snails and Dragon Tails collection, but I don't think he has ported any 4 or 5 stuff into the main strip.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2020-09-22 at 06:58 AM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

7. - Top - End - #157
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    True enough, however Rich some time ago (IIRC some time during 4e) made the observation that he's not going to change editions in the strip (and he gave some reasons). He did an interesting take on the 3.xe and 4e differences in a story in the Snips, Snails and Dragon Tails collection, but I don't think he has ported any 4 or 5 stuff into the main strip.
    On the other hand, Sorcerers also take a pretty big hit compared to 3.Xe as well. Pretty much all the full caster classes have.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

8. - Top - End - #158

SamuraiGuy

I'm reminded of the cleric duel with Redcloak and Some Dude way back in the day. "Man, clerics are just the worst".
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    I'm reminded of the cleric duel with Redcloak and Some Dude way back in the day. "Man, clerics are just the worst".
    You mean the high priest of the Twelve Gods? I remember that one too...

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

10. - Top - End - #160

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    You mean the high priest of the Twelve Gods? I remember that one too...
    That's the one.

Also, I notice Xykon took damage from Durkon's attack. That's hopeful.

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Titan in the Playground

That's the one.

Also, I notice Xykon took damage from Durkon's attack. That's hopeful.
    Considering Xykon almost has twice the levels than Durkon and the latter hasn't used Divine Power, I'm guessing that was a nat 20 or somewhere close to that.

Extended sig here.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

A hammer to the face can hurt.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

13. - Top - End - #163

Lizardfolk

Considering Xykon almost has twice the levels than Durkon and the latter hasn't used Divine Power, I'm guessing that was a nat 20 or somewhere close to that.
    Not necessarily. AC doesn't scale with level, and Xykon might not have buffed up first. I'd put Durkon in favour of hitting Xykon, and his hammer bypasses damage reduction for lichs (except for Xykon resisting the lightning effect) so he'd have a decent chance to do damage too.
    The fact Xykon probably has somewhere around 150+hp is what would keep him alive in a fight more than his Armor Class.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    Not necessarily. AC doesn't scale with level, and Xykon might not have buffed up first. I'd put Durkon in favour of hitting Xykon, and his hammer bypasses damage reduction for lichs (except for Xykon resisting the lightning effect) so he'd have a decent chance to do damage too.
    The fact Xykon probably has somewhere around 150+hp is what would keep him alive in a fight more than his Armor Class.
    I headcanon Durkon's new hammer as a Hammer of Thunderbolts(sized properly for dwarves of course), and while that means he probably has at least a +6 to Strength from the belt and gloves it also means that it's not nearly enough of a bonus to reliably hit Xykon. He's got Epic Mage Armor and that spell lasts 24 hours. Between that, the Ring of Protection he presumably has to deflect a Disintegration, and the natural armor from being a lich, it's entirely possible for Xykon to have more than 40 AC. Probably not much higher if at all, but still.

Extended sig here.

15. - Top - End - #165

Lizardfolk

I headcanon Durkon's new hammer as a Hammer of Thunderbolts(sized properly for dwarves of course), and while that means he probably has at least a +6 to Strength from the belt and gloves it also means that it's not nearly enough of a bonus to reliably hit Xykon. He's got Epic Mage Armor and that spell lasts 24 hours. Between that, the Ring of Protection he presumably has to deflect a Disintegration, and the natural armor from being a lich, it's entirely possible for Xykon to have more than 40 AC. Probably not much higher if at all, but still.
    Having looked up Epic Mage Armour, yeh, if that spells running, Xykon would be crazy broken*. However we don't know what monsters are in the Dungeon and whether they have some kind of dispelling effect, or whether he casts it every day (he's not made of epic spell slots. If I've understood the epic spell rules correctly, he has at least 2, probably 3, 4 absolute max) and prefers offence over defence (which kind of raises the question; how did O-Chul learn he had EMA?)
    * technically I should say 'crazy broken vs non-epic' but that feels like saying 'he gasped, taking air into his lungs to oxygenate his blood'. Its a bit redundant.
    Last edited by Riftwolf; 2020-09-22 at 08:36 AM.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Titan in the Playground

Having looked up Epic Mage Armour, yeh, if that spells running, Xykon would be crazy broken*. However we don't know what monsters are in the Dungeon and whether they have some kind of dispelling effect, or whether he casts it every day (he's not made of epic spell slots. If I've understood the epic spell rules correctly, he has at least 2, probably 3, 4 absolute max) and prefers offence over defence (which kind of raises the question; how did O-Chul learn he had EMA?)
    * technically I should say 'crazy broken vs non-epic' but that feels like saying 'he gasped, taking air into his lungs to oxygenate his blood'. Its a bit redundant.
    Presumably O-Chul saw him buffing or something. For a caster like Xykon it's probably like brushing his teeth.

Extended sig here.

17. - Top - End - #167

SamuraiGuy

So Durkon probably has BAB of +9, plus strength modifiers and bonuses from the hammer itself.

Yeah, if Xykon has EMA on he needs a crit.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Barbarian in the Playground

*O-Chul escapes fire-breathing scorpion enclosure and swings a severed stinger at Xykon*
    O-Chul: Smite Evil!
    SFX: clink
    O-Chul:
    : Researching Epic Mage Armor and making a poorly built scorpion enclosure were worth it for the look on your face alone! Anyway, you know the drill. Hold Person.
    Stop using good evidence and logic that makes sense to refute points, that's my job
    Lots of people seem to use blue for sarcasm, I decided I should too
    Quote Originally Posted by nabcif View Post
    Nitpick: I believe you'll find that only our heads explode. Page 43 of Book of Pedantic Forumites, if memory serves.
    I have joined the ranks of the FFRPeople Here is my character.

Thank you to Linkele for creating my avatar!

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ionathus View Post
    My gut tells me that the Spellsplinter Maneuver will work on Xykon, at least once.

Narratively, it feels right that Roy will get a chance to use it against Xykon after almost 800 pages since their last rematch. Given all the focus we've had on Roy, the Greenhilt Sword, the Weapon of Legacy, and learning the Spellsplinter from Horace to fulfill the Blood Oath, it would feel pretty weird for Xykon to fully No-Sell it.

Of course, I don't expect Xykon to be immediately thrashed by it, and I'm sure he'll have some tricks up his sleeve to keep the fight going. But it'll almost certainly work against him at least once, at a key moment.
    Especially how much trouble he had making Concentration checks against the LAST group that could actually hurt him with melee.
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

20. - Top - End - #170

Quote Originally Posted by ErebusVonMori View Post
    Sometimes Xykon is a total bro, no questions asked about why they're there, just what damage types haven't been tried yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by mjasghar View Post
    With regards to Xykon being a bro etc
    No he isn’t
    He is cruel and vicious and likes to pretend he doesn’t notice stuff when he actually does. All in order to lull his allies into security and then casually show he knew their secret plans all along and smash them apart. Breaking their spirits is an added bonus.
    Okay everyone, I know this is difficult, but our forum's shtick requires us to derail into arguing about what is or isn't a "bro" according to third party source books.

So maybe "bro" is a prestige class or three somewhere? Are any of those compatible with sorcerer? With chaos (I figure there's probably a monkish one like brotherhood on the long-short dragon)?

Or maybe it's an alignment? Chaotic-evil-bro? If we assume bro-ness is independent of goodness and lawfulness then I guess a jerk who presents a false image of camaraderie could be a bro.

21. - Top - End - #171

Quote Originally Posted by Quizatzhaderac View Post
    Okay everyone, I know this is difficult, but our forum's shtick requires us to derail into arguing about what is or isn't a "bro" according to third party source books.

So maybe "bro" is a prestige class or three somewhere? Are any of those compatible with sorcerer? With chaos (I figure there's probably a monkish one like brotherhood on the long-short dragon)?

Or maybe it's an alignment? Chaotic-evil-bro? If we assume bro-ness is independent of goodness and lawfulness then I guess a jerk who presents a false image of camaraderie could be a bro.
    It is a Charisma-based psionic prestige class, obviously.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Wraithfighter View Post
    Bet $20 that Xykon already knows why they're there.

Xykon's smarter than he likes to let on, that's one of the things that can make him so dangerous... and that +8 racial bonus to listen checks can have all sorts of uses...
    Could be like:

Xykon: "Hey, didn't you want to keep one of them alive?"

Redcloak: "Nah, doesn't matter"

Xykon: "I'm interested now. Why were those guys here anyway?"
    Last edited by gerryq; 2020-09-22 at 09:55 AM.

23. - Top - End - #173

Lizardfolk

The problem with Xykon is that while he's definitely smart I don't think his usual attitude is faked. So I have a hard time telling when he's playing dumb and when he genuinely doesn't care enough to pay attention or inquire further.

24. - Top - End - #174

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Worldsong View Post
    The problem with Xykon is that while he's definitely smart I don't think his usual attitude is faked. So I have a hard time telling when he's playing dumb and when he genuinely doesn't care enough to pay attention or inquire further.
    He's a sorcerer, not a wizard. Thinking hard is not his thing; obtaining power by sheer force of charisma is how he rolls.

So his INT score is probably lower than Redcloak's or Roy's. But his desire for power is immense. That's why he likes Meteor Swarm; it's not a smart spell, it's a brute force "Hulk SMASH!" spell.

25. - Top - End - #175

Lizardfolk

He's a sorcerer, not a wizard. Thinking hard is not his thing; obtaining power by sheer force of charisma is how he rolls.

So his INT score is probably lower than Redcloak's or Roy's. But his desire for power is immense. That's why he likes Meteor Swarm; it's not a smart spell, it's a brute force "Hulk SMASH!" spell.
    I disagree about his INT score being lower. He acts like its lower, but at the end of SoD he proved that just because he doesn't play oh-so-clever Machiavellian games doesn't mean he can't see when you try them. He just dgaf.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground

I disagree about his INT score being lower. He acts like its lower, but at the end of SoD he proved that just because he doesn't play oh-so-clever Machiavellian games doesn't mean he can't see when you try them. He just dgaf.
    Not as high as them doesn't mean much. Roy at least could have been... well probably anything besides a Rogue, considering his stats. Redcloak's probably even smarter.

Extended sig here.

27. - Top - End - #177

GreataxeFighterGirl

I'd spitball that SOD's ending shows more of Xykon's charisma (in a nasty, manipulative way) than intelligence (not saying he's dumb, though).

28. - Top - End - #178

Quote Originally Posted by bunsen_h View Post
    See also: the LotR movies. In FotR, Gandalf cinemacktionally* loses his sword Glamdring early on in his fight with the Balrog, on the bridge over the chasm. In the follow-up scene in TTT, both still falling, he has caught up with it. "You shall not pass grade 9 physics!"

* portmanteau of: cinematic, Jackson, action
    It isn't just the Jackson universe. Elves live on a flat [Middle] Earth, allowing Legolas's "elven eyes" to peer over the horizon (at least on plains). And given Tolkien was trying to strive against "modern literature" (defined by everything after and including Chaucer), I doubt he wanted accurate physics in Middle Earth anyway.

Given what we know of how the gods decided on the laws of the stickverse, accurate physics was the least of their concerns.

29. - Top - End - #179

AssassinGuy

I have only one criticism of the art in OOTS - and that's Xykon's jaw when he opens his mouth.

It's the way his lower jaw is connected with his upper jaw at the back teeth, with those back teeth remaining touching together. But the human jaw is hinged further back than that. When you open your mouth, your back teeth don't remain together. It's actually physically impossible, no matter how you try (unless you dislocate your jaw) (please don't try that).

So when Xykon talks, it gives me this weird impression like he's struggling to unclench his teeth which are wired together - or perhaps that he has only one side of his jaw open (which you also shouldn't be able to do, unless you have TMJ symptoms; talk to your doctor).

It happened after the art upgrade, and I think it's because of the way Xykon has always been drawn. If you look at Xykon pre-upgrade, his bottom jaw just sort of floats in mid-air when he opens his mouth. With an art upgrade, that might been judged a bit too cartoonish. But on the other hand, Xykon has never been drawn with the back part of the mandible connecting his upper and lower jaw - and maybe adding one changed his look too drastically. This could be a compromise.

I don't know how others feel about it. Myself, I can't help but notice it when Xykon is on the page, because I keep thinking he's about to go in for desperately-needed maxillofacial surgery - and it's hard to view him as threatening that way.

I wouldn't mind if it went back to the old style of just having his jaw float in midair. I think that would still fit with the art style.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Epinephrine_Syn View Post
    That would, of course, require Xykon to think they are worth burning Superb Dispelling on, especially when he might have to delve into the dungeons later that day or fight the whole crew later (including that 'a-lister' elf). Or, if he's already done the dungeon delving for that day, if he didn't already expend it.
    As far as I know, Xykon is an epic-level (21+) lich who has only ever taken levels in Sorcerer. In addition, as far as I know, while Sorcerers may only know a certain number of spells and also only get to cast a limited number of spells per day, they don't have to prepare their spells in advance like wizards or clerics.