Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 369
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Wildstag's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Alamogordo
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Three New 5e Settings Confirmed

    Quote Originally Posted by ProsecutorGodot View Post
    I disagree, we already know there will be new books (two of them) featuring Vistani. Curse of Strahd doesn't necessarily give enough information to call it a setting guide. My assumption is that we'll have a setting guide and another adventure set there, either an exploration into actually destroying Strahd for good or fighting the Dark Power in a plane of dread.
    The quote from Winniger is "we're going to try to um, stretch the boundaries of D&D by putting more settings out there, more places where you can set your own adventures... there are three of the old settings that we're working on right now".

    The way that comment is worded makes it sound to me more like the projects in the works are settings that haven't already been expanded upon in 5e (more settings out there, not "expanding some settings").

    That's why I feel like an expanded Forgotten Realms or a Ravenloft setting book is not likely; because if they were, he'd have used language more along the lines of "adding to settings" rather than "putting more settings out there". Emphasis on the word "more".

  2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    ProsecutorGodot's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2017
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Three New 5e Settings Confirmed

    Quote Originally Posted by Wildstag View Post
    The quote from Winniger is "we're going to try to um, stretch the boundaries of D&D by putting more settings out there, more places where you can set your own adventures... there are three of the old settings that we're working on right now".

    The way that comment is worded makes it sound to me more like the projects in the works are settings that haven't already been expanded upon in 5e (more settings out there, not "expanding some settings").

    That's why I feel like an expanded Forgotten Realms or a Ravenloft setting book is not likely; because if they were, he'd have used language more along the lines of "adding to settings" rather than "putting more settings out there". Emphasis on the word "more".
    I guess there's always the chance that the two books about Vistani are divorced from Ravenloft, although that seems unlikely.

    I suppose they could also introduce the Ravenloft stuff and just say it's not part of that three, in which case we'd actually be getting 4 setting things.

    But I think the most likely thing is that they agree with the general consensus (at least that I've observed) that Curse of Strahd, while great, is not a Ravenloft setting guide. There really isn't a lot of exploration further into the setting in CoS.

  3. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Daemon

    Join Date
    Oct 2014

    Default Re: Three New 5e Settings Confirmed

    It'd be nice to see the MTG setting too with a full planescape treatment. If Spelljammer is a thing then we should be traveling there somehow if they want to join the universes.
    Trolls will be blocked. Petrification works far better than fire and acid.

  4. - Top - End - #34
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    Zombie

    Join Date
    Jun 2019

    Default Re: Three New 5e Settings Confirmed

    Quote Originally Posted by jaappleton View Post
    My personal bets are as follows:

    Ravenloft
    Sigil
    Spelljammer

    I know so many want Dark Sun. I know! But I think them releasing Psionics is enough to say, “You already know the setting, now you have the mechanics, you don’t need us to do more to run it”.
    I’ve been suspecting the same recently.

    Which is why the only thing I’m really waiting for is Tasha’s, and then I’ll get started on preparing a proper Dark Sun campaign for my players.

  5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground
     
    LudicSavant's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Los Angeles

    Default Re: Three New 5e Settings Confirmed

    Quote Originally Posted by jaappleton View Post
    Bad news: All three settings are different versions of the Forgotten Realms, all set during different time periods
    Dammit jaappleton, you're going to give me nightmares saying things like that!
    Last edited by LudicSavant; 2020-09-21 at 02:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Expected View Post
    Thank you again, LudicSavant, you math skills are VERY useful and so are your graphs and explanations.
    Some of my Stuff:
    Frequency of Resistances in MM, Volo's, MToF | Comprehensive DPR Calculator | An Eclectic Collection of Fun and Effective Builds | Unusual Life Cleric Character Concepts

    A Reinvented Pantheon (Made for 3.5, but adaptable):
    Nerull | Wee Jas | Olidammara | Erythnul | Hextor | Corellon Larethian | Lolth | The Deep Ones

  6. - Top - End - #36
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Three New 5e Settings Confirmed

    Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    Actually, in all seriousness, I'd love a 5e Ghostwalk. The original version was released in that weird transitional period between 3.0 and 3.5, so the mechanics were very rough.
    Not going to lie, I came here just to say exactly that. AFAIK it was basically just forgotten about after a single book, but even that looked pretty interesting.

  7. - Top - End - #37
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2007

    Default Re: Three New 5e Settings Confirmed

    Let’s go Birthright 5th edition! It’s time to run some kingdoms!

    (It won’t be birthright)

  8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Wildstag's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Alamogordo
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Three New 5e Settings Confirmed

    Quote Originally Posted by ProsecutorGodot View Post
    I guess there's always the chance that the two books about Vistani are divorced from Ravenloft, although that seems unlikely.

    I suppose they could also introduce the Ravenloft stuff and just say it's not part of that three, in which case we'd actually be getting 4 setting things.

    But I think the most likely thing is that they agree with the general consensus (at least that I've observed) that Curse of Strahd, while great, is not a Ravenloft setting guide. There really isn't a lot of exploration further into the setting in CoS.
    The hype around Ravenloft in the last two decades has really only favored the Curse of Strahd, so I would find it very unlikely that they'd make a big Ravenloft setting guide that only included that realm when there's already a campaign book solely focused on the titular Count. When's the last time you heard any discussion about any of the other Realms of Dread from anyone actually playing 5e?

    Plus, he said "three of the old settings" not "three books of the old settings", so the idea that two Vistani books would be included in that "three of the old settings" would mean that somehow the Vistani are relevant to two campaign settings, when really they're only relevant to one.


    My hope is that Greyhawk, Planescape, and Dragonlance return.
    Last edited by Wildstag; 2020-09-21 at 03:14 PM.

  9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground
     
    jaappleton's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2016

    Default Re: Three New 5e Settings Confirmed

    Quote Originally Posted by LudicSavant View Post
    Dammit jaappleton, you're going to give me nightmares saying things like that!
    Actually.... I believe the article calls for three classic settings... Yes?

    Full Disclosure: I KNOW NOTHING OF LORE BEFORE 5E

    But

    Remember my topic about the Black Obelisks?

    Spoiler
    Show
    That they’re the key to bringing back the Netheril Empire?


    Could THAT be one of the settings? That world?

  10. - Top - End - #40
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Feb 2016

    Default Re: Three New 5e Settings Confirmed

    I'm thinking Ravenloft (because they've talked about doing another book with the Vistani in it), Spelljammer (because SO MUCH stuff from Spelljammer has been turning up in other books), and Dark Sun (because they've clearly been thinking a lot about Psionics). I'd love to have a Dragonlance setting, but I can't imagine they'll do it, fundamentally it's too similar to Forgotten Realms, I think they'll want their new books to scratch a different itch.

  11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground
     
    jaappleton's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2016

    Default Re: Three New 5e Settings Confirmed

    Quote Originally Posted by rooneg View Post
    I'm thinking Ravenloft (because they've talked about doing another book with the Vistani in it), Spelljammer (because SO MUCH stuff from Spelljammer has been turning up in other books), and Dark Sun (because they've clearly been thinking a lot about Psionics). I'd love to have a Dragonlance setting, but I can't imagine they'll do it, fundamentally it's too similar to Forgotten Realms, I think they'll want their new books to scratch a different itch.
    There is one thing that gives me hope for Dragonlance.

    Go back to the PHB. There’s these dark gray sidebars sprinkled throughout.

    They mention Deurgar. Death Domain. Oathbreaker.

    All things which have seen release.

    EXCEPT.

    Draconians.

    And there is a movie being made. It’s written and directed by John Francés Daley. You know, the kid from Freaks and Geeks? He played Sweets in the FOX show Bones? Also wrote Spider Man: Homecoming and Horrible Bosses, directed Game Night?

    There’s a lot of rumors they’re going with Dragonlance as the setting.

  12. - Top - End - #42
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    San Diego
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Three New 5e Settings Confirmed

    My bet is Ravenloft, Spelljammer, and Planescape. Replace Planescape with MTG book if you're pessimistic.

    "At least three" suggests they might be on the fence about Dragonlance.
    Last edited by Dark.Revenant; 2020-09-21 at 03:48 PM.

  13. - Top - End - #43
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: Three New 5e Settings Confirmed

    Maybe I am making a wrong correlation here. I don't follow 5e dnd lore much and what not.

    They part ways with mike mearls and they are releasing bunch of more content now afterwards?? I know Mike 'moved on' a while ago, but still curious.

  14. - Top - End - #44
    Troll in the Playground
     
    jaappleton's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2016

    Default Re: Three New 5e Settings Confirmed

    Quote Originally Posted by animewatcha View Post
    Maybe I am making a wrong correlation here. I don't follow 5e dnd lore much and what not.

    They part ways with mike mearls and they are releasing bunch of more content now afterwards?? I know Mike 'moved on' a while ago, but still curious.
    Only informing, let’s please not derail the topic:

    Mearls is still there. He never left. He was the liaison to Larian Studios for awhile as they developed Baldur’s Gate 3 but Mearls is still fully employed by WOTC.

  15. - Top - End - #45
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    BarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    providence
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Three New 5e Settings Confirmed

    There were some people from Kara-Tur in some adventure, and I could see them doing diversity stuff with that, but I'm not sure if that counts as a different setting.
    I usually post from my phone, so please excuse any horrendous typos.

    Quote Originally Posted by 1337 b4k4 View Post
    [to somebody getting upset over somebody else's house rule] Maybe you should take a break, you're getting rather worked up over magic elf games.

  16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground
     
    KorvinStarmast's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Three New 5e Settings Confirmed

    Quote Originally Posted by jaappleton View Post
    Mearls is still there. He never left. He was the liaison to Larian Studios for awhile as they developed Baldur’s Gate 3 but Mearls is still fully employed by WOTC.
    Thanks for confirming that. Sorry, and I'll ask about BG 3 in another place.
    Avatar by linklele
    Quote Originally Posted by Malifice View Post
    (paraphrased) Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by greenstone View Post
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyDaze
    Self-deception tends to have a low target number
    How Teleport Works

  17. - Top - End - #47
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    RedKnightGirl

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location

    Default Re: Three New 5e Settings Confirmed

    People have said Dark Sun? Yeah, first post. I could see the starting adventure with the 'eat the rich' angle, but not the setting where other city states are still slavers.

    Time to bring out my weird penchant for crufty 3E books.

    Scarred Lands was so edgy! And it came out before the 3e Monster Manual did! And it had like 4 times the Prestige Classes as the DMG! But, nowadays, merely mentioning that a lawful evil kept wife wouldn't be able to process if a Goddess of Free Love enchanted her, doesn't make up for a setting where the elves kidnap and raise humans to bear their children. Even if, if you think about it, it's not much worse than how the lawful evil kept wife was sold to her husband by her family. Also, it already has a PDF and a fixit fic novel that ties everything up.

    Diamond Throne from Arcana Unleashed/Evolved has, civilization, comparatively balanced arcane magic, and skill monkeys that tap into the memory of the land. Was worked on by Monte Cooke, who might have had enough of a break with D&D that he wouldn't mind helping?

    Blue Rose, has Good as Kindness and Nature vs Evil as Pride and Slavery. It was gay friendly before it was trendy. It is meant for "Romantic Fantasy" which means teamwork and feel good morality. Chris Perkins worked on it. Actually works better with AGE, but D&D 5 is simple enough that it wouldn't get in the way of playing.

    Iron Kingdoms has mech armors, and I don't even know whether the war game came first or the RPG, and which was the spin off. Might be nice to have some options powered by steam instead of arcana.

    Iron Heroes has characters so awesome that if you give them 3e WBL magic items they will break the game. Also, Huns, with useful mounted archery and everything! All humans, setting seemed to imply that mounted archery was a new technology that kings feared. Mearls worked on it, Monte Cook released it on his imprint.

    Hey, maybe I should look up Ghostwalk. I clearly enjoy reading about settings I never play or run.
    yo

  18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Three New 5e Settings Confirmed

    Quote Originally Posted by jaappleton View Post
    My personal bets are as follows:

    Ravenloft
    Sigil
    Spelljammer

    They already alluded to a Ravenloft setting, though that could be an update to the Return to Castle Ravenloft adventure. But that’s my first pick.

    Perkins loves Sigil. He’s said numerous times it was his favorite setting.

    Spelljammer is high on people’s lists.

    I know so many want Dark Sun. I know! But I think them releasing Psionics is enough to say, “You already know the setting, now you have the mechanics, you don’t need us to do more to run it”.
    So I can see Ravenloft. I think CoS has been the most well recieved of adventures and Ravenloft is horror fantasy, which is close enough to the standard classical fantasy that it will appeal to those who play D&D whilst being different enough to justify a new purchase. It seems the ideal product to build on success.

    Sigil... I would love to see this and also think it is pretty likely. So much flavour and I think that with Ravnica they showed that they could put a lot of thought into city settings in 5th.

    Speaking of which... I suspect that spelljammer might be displaced by a MtG setting. It said classic, but that might be for different games. Dominaria might be the obvious one there, but I could see others. Personally I would love Mercadia.

  19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    ProsecutorGodot's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2017
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Three New 5e Settings Confirmed

    Quote Originally Posted by Wildstag View Post
    Plus, he said "three of the old settings" not "three books of the old settings", so the idea that two Vistani books would be included in that "three of the old settings" would mean that somehow the Vistani are relevant to two campaign settings, when really they're only relevant to one.
    Or, like I said earlier, that it will be two books, a setting guide and an adventure. 5E is in full swing at this point, the last two years will have given us 2 supplemental rulebooks, 4 additional campaign settings and 6 adventures come November when the cycle ends.

    It's about time we've had more than one (two if you count Saltmarsh) full length adventure release that isn't part of FR. Neither of which have a setting guide to go with them.

    Reintroducing "three of the old settings" could be done in any number of books.

  20. - Top - End - #50
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Luccan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    The Old West
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Three New 5e Settings Confirmed

    So, here's my question for those saying Dark Sun would be unacceptable: is it just that the dark themes exist in the setting at all? Because it's not like any of the horrible things people do to each other on Athas has ever been presented as good or even "necessary". in fact the world seems to mostly continue to die because of the cycle of power grabbing and violence, whereas peace and empathy could quite literally save it from power hungry wizards, if preservers became more common than defilers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

    I for one support the Gnoman Empire.
    Avatar by linklele

    Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

    E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing

    E6 Iron Chef XXI Shared Second Place: The Shadow's Hand


  21. - Top - End - #51
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Three New 5e Settings Confirmed

    This one is very unlikely I admit but I'd love to see an update of some of the 'green cover' Historical Reference books from the 2e era - I still have my beloved moth-eaten copies of Age of Heroes (Ancient Greece) and The Glory of Rome.

  22. - Top - End - #52
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2007

    Default Re: Three New 5e Settings Confirmed

    Quote Originally Posted by jaappleton View Post
    Actually.... I believe the article calls for three classic settings... Yes?

    Full Disclosure: I KNOW NOTHING OF LORE BEFORE 5E

    But

    Remember my topic about the Black Obelisks?

    Spoiler
    Show
    That they’re the key to bringing back the Netheril Empire?


    Could THAT be one of the settings? That world?
    Very likely not. Netheril isn’t a world of a campaign setting. It’s an old nation of high magic in the realms.

    Technically the heirs to netheril who escaped its destruction by escaping to the shadow plane and become shades have returned and the last I knew had conquered areas near Cormyr, including sembia

  23. - Top - End - #53
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2007

    Default Re: Three New 5e Settings Confirmed

    Quote Originally Posted by Spriteless View Post
    People have said Dark Sun? Yeah, first post. I could see the starting adventure with the 'eat the rich' angle, but not the setting where other city states are still slavers.

    Time to bring out my weird penchant for crufty 3E books.

    Scarred Lands was so edgy! And it came out before the 3e Monster Manual did! And it had like 4 times the Prestige Classes as the DMG! But, nowadays, merely mentioning that a lawful evil kept wife wouldn't be able to process if a Goddess of Free Love enchanted her, doesn't make up for a setting where the elves kidnap and raise humans to bear their children. Even if, if you think about it, it's not much worse than how the lawful evil kept wife was sold to her husband by her family. Also, it already has a PDF and a fixit fic novel that ties everything up.

    Diamond Throne from Arcana Unleashed/Evolved has, civilization, comparatively balanced arcane magic, and skill monkeys that tap into the memory of the land. Was worked on by Monte Cooke, who might have had enough of a break with D&D that he wouldn't mind helping?

    Blue Rose, has Good as Kindness and Nature vs Evil as Pride and Slavery. It was gay friendly before it was trendy. It is meant for "Romantic Fantasy" which means teamwork and feel good morality. Chris Perkins worked on it. Actually works better with AGE, but D&D 5 is simple enough that it wouldn't get in the way of playing.

    Iron Kingdoms has mech armors, and I don't even know whether the war game came first or the RPG, and which was the spin off. Might be nice to have some options powered by steam instead of arcana.

    Iron Heroes has characters so awesome that if you give them 3e WBL magic items they will break the game. Also, Huns, with useful mounted archery and everything! All humans, setting seemed to imply that mounted archery was a new technology that kings feared. Mearls worked on it, Monte Cook released it on his imprint.

    Hey, maybe I should look up Ghostwalk. I clearly enjoy reading about settings I never play or run.

    Yeah pretty much all of these are owned by other publishers, and aren’t exactly what I’d call “classic”.
    I’d call these long shots at best.
    Last edited by Mikal; 2020-09-21 at 06:44 PM.

  24. - Top - End - #54
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Daemon

    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Corvallis, OR
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Three New 5e Settings Confirmed

    Quote Originally Posted by Mikal View Post
    Very likely not. Netheril isn’t a world of a campaign setting. It’s an old nation of high magic in the realms.

    Technically the heirs to netheril who escaped its destruction by escaping to the shadow plane and become shades have returned and the last I knew had conquered areas near Cormyr, including sembia
    There's a distinction to be made, I think, between "campaign setting" and "new world". You can have multiple campaign settings in one world (FR for most of its run) or multiple worlds in one setting (Planescape, Spelljammer). But I agree that Netheril is less likely for the mentioned products.
    Dream of Hope: a 5e setting. http://www.admiralbenbo.org
    PhoenixPhyre's Extended Homebrew Signature
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!

  25. - Top - End - #55
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    DruidGirl

    Join Date
    Jun 2020

    Default Re: Three New 5e Settings Confirmed

    Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    A guy named Glen Welch has been working on a Mystara guide, and hoping to be allowed to release it on DM's Guild or similar. That might be what you heard. I've looked at an early draft, it looks like an interpretation of what Mystara should be (not sure that something like Mystara even has a definitive version).


    ...
    I played a truckload of Mystara during the BECMI era and in all honesty, I remember it fondly only because it was my first experience with PnP RPGs and we spent several years, playing so much we almost ran out of published content. The world was the classic high fantasy, dwarves, elves, shadow elves, military humans aka Thyatis empire and magic user humans aka Alphatia empire which were in reality coming from another planet. The world was futuristic in origin but then something happened and it went back a millenium, but with the Radiance which made magic possible (like the Weave in FR).

    If you read the timeline, it's just wars and other wars: pretty much every kingdom is bathed in blood for decades, gets pounded into the ground and comes back in a different shape. Lycanthropy is also widely present after a certain turn of events. To be honest, a DM following a calendar, would be challenged to find a long enough period of peace in which to set the adventures as what you "should" see around is pretty much scorched lands due to massive wars between kingdoms and factions.

    I don't think it's a setting worth a damn to be honest, as I said I'm fond of it because it was the first love and I had good memories, but FR, just to mention one, is way better: more details, more interesting characters, more detailed cities, factions, kingdoms, races.

    -----

    Dark Sun was always mildly appealing to me, I'm not really into post apocalyptic settings ala Mad Max, which probably DS has partially used as a sort of inspirational background. It has cool ideas, I grant that and I wouldn't be against it in general, but should I vote for a setting right here and right now? Dragonlance would probably win, if only for the love I have for the books, which I read and read again times and times over the years (I think I read the two main trilogies at least 7 times each over 30 years, bear with me if I'm still in love with kenders).

    I started playing in the mid-late 80s if I remember correctly and back then even having a shop with everything that was published was just a dream here in Italy, most shops that sold games usually got only the most important pieces of a certain franchise, we were lucky to find the Base and the Expert and we specifically ordered the Companion box (took 3 weeks to arrive) of the BECMI serie, the Master came in our hands a lot later, I think at least 3 years later, but we had photocopies of the manuals from who knows where. Wrath of the Immortals was... well, let's call it a treasure finding, by the time we obtained it, we also bought the Rules Cyclopedia, which repacked the first four boxes in a single book (I still have it somewhere together with the colored boxes). Last purchase was the Hollow World, cool concept, never played it much because by the time it came out, AD&D was starting to find its way on our table.

    We played that, because that's what we had. Later on we homebrewed a whole new world, I spent months designing it and years playing it. We modified the game to suit us, but honestly we had no real choice. Nowadays the choices are so many, I wish I had the time to play them all in depth because they are all interesting for me.

  26. - Top - End - #56
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    Apr 2018

    Default Re: Three New 5e Settings Confirmed

    Spelljammer, Planescape, and Domains of Dread (Ravenloft+) seem like the likely candidates to me. 3 Settings that can be used with all the other settings.

    Not necessarily the 3 I would like, but it gets harder and harder for me seeing a setting like Dark Sun coming back around without Psionics they can't seem to get right, and not to mention todays game wouldn't deal very well Dark Sun's themes from slavery to the grittiness of the setting. With 5e rules I don't see it recapturing that old familiar feeling of characters dying, starting at level 3, having multiple characters rolled up for the death rate etc. Just my opinion.

  27. - Top - End - #57
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Three New 5e Settings Confirmed

    Quote Originally Posted by jaappleton View Post
    Bad news: All three settings are different versions of the Forgotten Realms, all set during different time periods
    Some things, sir, are too far even for blue text!

    For myself, I hope for Ravenloft and Spelljammer. The rest are...eh? I really don't care about Dark Sun, and Dragonlance has always been too romantic for my taste. Rather, I'd hoped for something new. Something a bit like Eberron, that takes the setting implications seriously and uses them to build an entirely new take on D&D. I personally think that Eberron defined 3rd edition, and I'd hoped for something similar with 5th.

  28. - Top - End - #58
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2018

    Default Re: Three New 5e Settings Confirmed

    Likely:

    Ravenloft - It's the setting for the published adventure with the widest acclaim. They've already put in the work and built the brand up a bit in this edition, and it was a publisher favorite back in the TSR days.

    Spelljammer - It's the meme that's trotted out every time a new setting thing is rumored, and the collective nerdgasm if it turns out to be the case this time would probably bring a smile to the lips of every person working on the project. Different enough from "standard" D&D, has a very loud crowd calling out for it, lots of tie in bits in other adventures. It represents a style that simply hasn't been represented yet while giving a tie in to other products they're putting out.

    Dark Sun - It's one of the ones they felt comfortable rereleasing in 4th edition, so it's got a pretty established pedigree as a brand; old, old players ran it in 2e, old players ran it in 4e. Lots of attempts at psionics, a cornerstone of the setting. It represents a style that simply hasn't been represented yet (brutalist hard mode), but has a more complete pedigree than the others.

    Unlikely:

    Planescape - I want to be wrong, but Ravnica takes up too much of the conceptual space that made Sigil interesting. Further, the tie in to Magic The Gathering means that we're likely to see planeswalking scenarios going in that direction, rather than the City of Doors. Again, I want to be wrong; it's my favorite setting from 2e. Probably because I'm pretentious. But there's not a lot of oxygen there that isn't already in something else's lungs.

    Dragonlance - There are legal hurdles to jump over/limbo under with regards to this setting. Mostly a vehicle for publishing fiction, which isn't an angle that WotC really hammers as much these days. Thinking about it, that might actually be an argument for it more than an argument against it if they think it could pry open a neglected line of business... but I suspect they're neglecting fiction for a reason.

    Something I'd like to see::
    Birthright - It's a different set of circumstances than published settings where you're just an adventurer. Unlikely, as we haven't seen any UA that would support the product. Also, not as popular as the others.
    Blackmoor - You want classic? Can you get more classic than Arneson's first role-playing wargame? Unlikely, though; I'm not even sure if they have the rights.

  29. - Top - End - #59
    Orc in the Playground
     
    SwashbucklerGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2018

    Default Re: Three New 5e Settings Confirmed

    Quote Originally Posted by Telesphoros View Post
    Spelljammer, Planescape, and Domains of Dread (Ravenloft+) seem like the likely candidates to me. 3 Settings that can be used with all the other settings.

    Not necessarily the 3 I would like, but it gets harder and harder for me seeing a setting like Dark Sun coming back around without Psionics they can't seem to get right, and not to mention todays game wouldn't deal very well Dark Sun's themes from slavery to the grittiness of the setting. With 5e rules I don't see it recapturing that old familiar feeling of characters dying, starting at level 3, having multiple characters rolled up for the death rate etc. Just my opinion.
    There is also that desert part of ravenloft from the computer game Ravenloft Stone Prophet? I have no clue how they are related though.

    Quote Originally Posted by jaappleton View Post
    There is one thing that gives me hope for Dragonlance.

    Go back to the PHB. There’s these dark gray sidebars sprinkled throughout.

    They mention Deurgar. Death Domain. Oathbreaker.

    All things which have seen release.

    EXCEPT.

    Draconians.

    And there is a movie being made. It’s written and directed by John Francés Daley. You know, the kid from Freaks and Geeks? He played Sweets in the FOX show Bones? Also wrote Spider Man: Homecoming and Horrible Bosses, directed Game Night?

    There’s a lot of rumors they’re going with Dragonlance as the setting.
    And we don't have gully dwarves and could definitely do with more knightly orders? (No one needs kender)
    Last edited by Fnissalot; 2020-09-21 at 11:57 PM.

  30. - Top - End - #60
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    on earth, i guess.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Three New 5e Settings Confirmed

    Perkins tweeted something along the lines of "anyone who liked Curse Of Strahd will be excited for something I'm working on" a few months ago, I wouldn't be surprised if Ravenloft was one of them.

    Spelljammer has come up a few times in modules and that new Buldr's Gate game, so that's another I wouldn't be surprised about seeing.

    And if those two end up being true, then the third would most likely be Greyhawk despite how boring thatd be, but there ARE published modules set there.

    Everyone wants Darksun but I can guarantee none of you will be happy with Darksun in 5e

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •