Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Three New 5e Settings Confirmed

Quote Originally Posted by Luccan View Post
    I don't understand what was so controversial about my point. These items aren't just "present" in Dark Sun, they're rampant. The only society I can think of off the top of my head that I'm pretty sure doesn't feature slavery eats people. If WotC doesn't want another PR disaster and wants to keep Dark Sun true to its roots, they should be proactive. Dark Sun doesn't personally offend me, but I know some people could take a mishandled presentation the wrong way. Not sure why that sparked a debate. Regardless, I think I've been as clear as I can be, so I'm dropping the topic now.
    Ah so itís Ancient Rome. The GM of one table Iím currently playing at pitched us an antiquity setting and all the other players were shocked at NPC responses to their comments on slavery. Nice knowing you Dark Sun. In this context I donít see WotC having the balls or know how for publishing.
    Fighter is an NPC class.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Titan in the Playground

I don't understand what was so controversial about my point. These items aren't just "present" in Dark Sun, they're rampant. The only society I can think of off the top of my head that I'm pretty sure doesn't feature slavery eats people. If WotC doesn't want another PR disaster and wants to keep Dark Sun true to its roots, they should be proactive. Dark Sun doesn't personally offend me, but I know some people could take a mishandled presentation the wrong way. Not sure why that sparked a debate. Regardless, I think I've been as clear as I can be, so I'm dropping the topic now.
    Sorry to have pushed on that bit, I appreciate your spelling out for me your concerns, and I think you are right at least in part if not in whole.

How to present it will certainly inform the reaction.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malifice View Post
    (paraphrased) Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by greenstone View Post
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyDaze
    Self-deception tends to have a low target number
    How Teleport Works

3. - Top - End - #363

BlackDragon

so at this point, with the issues with DL I'm fully expecting the MLP to shoot ahead of schedule. Can't have hatemob on that. I would even say MtG would have an official setting but Dominaria is in a weird place right now, and its basically MtG the Setting.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HolyDraconus View Post
    so at this point, with the issues with DL I'm fully expecting the MLP to shoot ahead of schedule. Can't have hatemob on that. I would even say MtG would have an official setting but Dominaria is in a weird place right now, and its basically MtG the Setting.
    Am I misunderstanding something? MtG has two setting guides for 5e and MtG is getting a FR themed expansion.

The MtG and DND ship is long sailed, I expect a third and fourth MtG setting if not more.

5. - Top - End - #365

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by ProsecutorGodot View Post
    Am I misunderstanding something? MtG has two setting guides for 5e and MtG is getting a FR themed expansion.

The MtG and DND ship is long sailed, I expect a third and fourth MtG setting if not more.
    Neither of those settings was basic Magic however. Dominaria, however, is the original plane of Magic: its setting book can simply be called Magic the Gathering The Setting Book. But we can see next year.

6. - Top - End - #366
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Hael View Post
    Shortly thereafter they cancel reading new drafts of DL without providing a reason (effectively cancelling the contract)
    The issue is that the contract isn't cancelled, but W&H still lose revenue anyway.
    It seems that W&H simply signed a bad contract in good faith; "This clause seems bad, but it's not like the contractor will ever use the clause, right?"
    Steam Name: Cheesegear
    League of Legends Name: Cheesegear
    You can fight like a krogan or run like a leopard but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

7. - Top - End - #367
    Titan in the Playground

How well would Barovia and Innistrad work "side by side?"

8. - Top - End - #368

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    How well would Barovia and Innistrad work "side by side?"
    On the surface, you would think pretty well together... but Barovia is locked while Innistrad isn't. Worse, Innistrad has a plane eating monster locked in the moon (well, everyone BELIEVES she's locked. Could very well be she's just biding her time.) While Barovia's big bad is honestly a confused vampire. If Barovia was allowed to evolve, maybe it could be something greater. But its pretty stagnant. Too stagnant. While Innistrad went from being classic horror tropes to full on Lovecraft Eldritch abomination horror, complete with an insane god of an angel, and who knows what its going to be like the next time Planeswalkers visit, ol land of Strahd stayed the same. If Barovia was opened to the Feywilds or the Outerplanes, it could mesh very well with Innistrad, but the Dark Ones in charge aren't going to allow someone else to usurp their power so lore wise that can't happen.

9. - Top - End - #369
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I feel like the mechanical translation isn't really the issue. The question is if WotC would fully commit to the translation and whether they can get away with "just because the people in this setting do bad things does not mean we endorse doing those bad things". Call me naive, I think the latter is possible, if potentially exhausting*. I doubt WotC's willingness to fully commit to the setting and mechanics more.

*Firstly, make it clear it's by default a Mature rated setting. Secondly, make it clear that most characters are neutral at best trying to get by in a post-apocalypse and that such fiction often features morally grey and black characters. Repeat ad nauseum. Thirdly, take care you don't present heinous actions as good.
    I agree. Just the whole vibe they've been going for doesn't seem to fit. I have seen some good stuff on the web and I'm amazed at the time some people have put in; maybe I'll start with that.