New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

MonkGuy

Default Now that Tasha’s Lineage rules are revealed, which fun builds are optimal?

So Tasha’s stat bonus switching during character creation has made a whole plethora of builds optimal from the get go (as far as stats are concerned) what once meme “fun” builds have got your dice a twitching?

For me it’s the Luckiest Halfling Alive!

Zee Bashew already covered this one, it’s the Halfling (lucky) Diviner (portent) with the Lucky Feat and more dice rerolls or substitutions than you can shake a staff at, now with optimal stats.

What meme builds would you like to make?
    Last edited by prototype00; 2020-09-22 at 02:05 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Now that Tasha’s Lineage rules are revealed, which fun builds are optimal?

Oh I've actually considered playing a divination halfling before, and being able to do it with better Int sounds nice. I'd go for Bountiful Luck to share the love though.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Default Re: Now that Tasha’s Lineage rules are revealed, which fun builds are optimal?

I don't know if this is OPTIMAL, per say, but my best idea (and likely the character I play next, unless the party needs a face, in which case I'll play a Genie (Efreeti) Warlock) is a High Elf Forge Cleric. Previously, High Elves made relatively poor clerics as they didn't get a wisdom increase, and the dexterity and intelligence increases are almost useless to a Forge Cleric. But now that those aren't an issue, High Elf has a lot to offer; proficiency in perception is nice, but proficiency in longswords means the Forge Cleric can use a martial weapon (I don't know why they get heavy armor and abilities that encourage melee, but no weapons built-in to benefit from that), which is already nice, but the big draw here is the Wizard cantrip; specifically in this case, Booming Blade. Booming Blade paired with Divine Strike means she'll be capable of lots of melee damage as she levels up, possibly enough to compete with a dedicated martial class, and having plate armor and a shield means she's comfortable on the front lines. Oh, and on top of this she's still a full spellcaster with access to the entire Cleric spell list, and the amazing domain spells offered by the Forge domain, making her an excellent defender or tank, but able to fill lots of other roles too.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Abjurer wizard - Mark of warding dwarf, it was good, now it's phenomenal. Throw in 2 levels of warlock for armor of shadows and it's just insane.
    The Best advice I've ever heard on DMing a fun game.

1. Once the session begins don't look at the rules, Make a decision and move on.
    2. When in doubt rule in favor of the Player, You can always have a complication pop up if you need more excitement.

5. - Top - End - #5

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by RedDragonAlexis View Post
    I don't know if this is OPTIMAL, per say, but my best idea (and likely the character I play next, unless the party needs a face, in which case I'll play a Genie (Efreeti) Warlock) is a High Elf Forge Cleric. Previously, High Elves made relatively poor clerics as they didn't get a wisdom increase, and the dexterity and intelligence increases are almost useless to a Forge Cleric. But now that those aren't an issue, High Elf has a lot to offer; proficiency in perception is nice, but proficiency in longswords means the Forge Cleric can use a martial weapon (I don't know why they get heavy armor and abilities that encourage melee, but no weapons built-in to benefit from that), which is already nice, but the big draw here is the Wizard cantrip; specifically in this case, Booming Blade. Booming Blade paired with Divine Strike means she'll be capable of lots of melee damage as she levels up, possibly enough to compete with a dedicated martial class, and having plate armor and a shield means she's comfortable on the front lines. Oh, and on top of this she's still a full spellcaster with access to the entire Cleric spell list, and the amazing domain spells offered by the Forge domain, making her an excellent defender or tank, but able to fill lots of other roles too.
    Ooh, thats not bad for a Tempest Cleric either. You take a swol High Elf, get booming blade for free and heavy armor, then you start maximiing that damage (and the divine strike damage).

6. - Top - End - #6

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by RedDragonAlexis View Post
    magic initiate druid then gives you access to shilellagh.

7. - Top - End - #7

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by th3g0dc0mp13x View Post
    Abjurer wizard - Mark of warding dwarf, it was good, now it's phenomenal. Throw in 2 levels of warlock for armor of shadows and it's just insane.
    If you add 2 levels of lock, then you don't really need to be mark of warding. At that point i'd rather go 1 level lock and svirfnebli gnome.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

When the new genie warlock subclass was revealed, I thought of a dwarf genie warlock with a dao patron due to the dwarven connection to the earth. Now that character idea is optimal.

9. - Top - End - #9

HalflingRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by AttilatheYeon View Post
    If you add 2 levels of lock, then you don't really need to be mark of warding. At that point i'd rather go 1 level lock and svirfnebli gnome.
    Yeah, but either of those eat into your spell progression
    All advice given with the caveat that you know your group better than I do. If that wasn't true, you'd be getting advice face-to-face. So I generalize.

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    are you asking us to do research into a setting you wrote yourself?

10. - Top - End - #10

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Hellpyre View Post
    Yeah, but either of those eat into your spell progression
    Sure, which is why i said rather.

11. - Top - End - #11

DruidGuy

For an AL RotFM game i jumped into, i'm playing a kenku enchanter wizard. I pulled the doppelganger card for my secret. It's not combat optimized, but it sure is optimizing my fun. Especially with my imp familiar from dm rewards.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Firbolg in the Playground

Wildhunt Shifter Barbarians can Reckless Attack without giving enemies Advantage to hit them.

Mountain Dwarf Monks can get 18 Dex / Wis at level 4.

Jorasco Halflling Life Cleric 1 / Wizard Xs are among the best healers now.

Goblin is now phenomenal on any spellcaster that didn't have a ton of bonus action competition.

Scourge Aasimar were always an odd fit with their Cha statline because they force Concentration checks on themselves, now they can be martials like they always wanted. Barbarians might actually LIKE the modest self-damage because it ensures their rage keeps going.

Protector Aasimar have a much better statline for many builds now.

Loxodon go well with grapplers who want to use sword and board. (And frankly, Loxodon Serenity and Keen Smell are both pretty great).

Tieflings now are better suited to make Flames of Phlegethos builds on Int classes.
    Quote Originally Posted by ProsecutorGodot
    If statistics are the concern for game balance I can't think of a more worthwhile person for you to discuss it with, LudicSavant has provided this forum some of the single most useful tools in probability calculations and is a consistent source of sanity checking for this sort of thing.
    An Eclectic Collection of Fun and Effective Builds | Comprehensive DPR Calculator | Monster Resistance Data

Nerull | Wee Jas | Olidammara | Erythnul | Hextor | Corellon Larethian | Lolth | The Deep Ones

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Dwarves and Elves now get to swap their weapon proficiencies for Tools... A whole lot of them. That's pretty cool.
    Last son of the Lu-Ching dynasty

thog is the champion, thog's friends! and thog keeps on fighting to the end!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by th3g0dc0mp13x View Post
    Aren't dragonmarks human only?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ogre Mage View Post
    When the new genie warlock subclass was revealed, I thought of a dwarf genie warlock with a dao patron due to the dwarven connection to the earth. Now that character idea is optimal.
    Yeah, sweet one.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2020-09-28 at 08:00 AM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Aren't dragonmarks human only?
    No, there are plenty of dragonmarks for different races.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

I wouldn't call it fun by any stretch, but I'd be able to play my dwarf rogue without requiring my GM to help me out by swapping out the +Con modifier to +Dex.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

17. - Top - End - #17

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    I wouldn't call it fun by any stretch, but I'd be able to play my dwarf rogue without requiring my GM to help me out by swapping out the +Con modifier to +Dex.
    Idk, i kinda wanna play a dwarf swashbuckler. Make him the foppiest swashbuckler ever.

Or make him a dour and taciturn swashbuckler. Equally fun to rp.
    Last edited by AttilatheYeon; 2020-09-28 at 08:34 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

I’ve been playing a ton of Final Fantasy XIV lately

So the idea of playing a Halfling Mark of Healing Bladesinger sounds pretty fun, as I flavor it as a Lalafell Red Mage.

EDIT: Also, High Elves are now some of the best Clerics. Clerics never get an Extra Attack so having a SCAG Cantrip like Booming Blade is pretty amazing. Combined with Nature Domain, you can key everything off Wisdom by picking up Shilaleigh as your Druid cantrip that you get for going Nature.
    Last edited by jaappleton; 2020-09-28 at 08:40 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zinycor View Post
    No, there are plenty of dragonmarks for different races.
    I've not cracked that book in over a year, and when I do it is usually to look at artificer stuff for the guy in my game who is playing one.
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

My wife is going to finally make her black-cat Tabaxi wizard. The extra mobility will be a help.

Now she just needs to find a tiny human to sit on her shoulder...

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Stout Halfling Barbarian: Str +2, Con +1

STR 17, DEX 14, CON 16, INT 8, WIS 10, CHA 8

Squat Nimbleness brings your speed up to pace and you're quite the force to be reckoned with, even if you can't wield heavy weapons properly.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

I've not cracked that book in over a year, and when I do it is usually to look at artificer stuff for the guy in my game who is playing one.
    Understandable. I only knew that because I made a character recently.

23. - Top - End - #23

MindFlayer

If I ever played an Ebberon game I would love to play a dwarven hexblade with one of the abberant spiked whips but before now it just didn't make sense to use the hexwarrior feature at all as I already would get a str boost, medium armor, and martial weapons but now I could use the hill dwarf replace wis with cha and be pretty solid.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zinycor View Post
    Understandable. I only knew that because I made a character recently.
    I'd like to some day play in an Eberron game, but I have not desire to DM one.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd like to some day play in an Eberron game, but I have not desire to DM one.
    Am on the same boat. Been pretty fun but I wouldn't GM it either (To be fair, am only interested on GMing DnD games on Ravnica.

‐------------
    Going back on topic, Agresive on the Orc race makes it very cool to build and artificer armorer orc.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Bugbear in the Playground

Do we actually know how it is going to work? I mean... i heard about it and read a lot of how it will work, but we still don't know the whole mechanical sense of it, or did they revealed more?

27. - Top - End - #27

HalflingRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Maxilian View Post
    Do we actually know how it is going to work? I mean... i heard about it and read a lot of how it will work, but we still don't know the whole mechanical sense of it, or did they revealed more?
    No, we got the full mechanical rundown of it when they first revealed it for the AL rules update.
    All advice given with the caveat that you know your group better than I do. If that wasn't true, you'd be getting advice face-to-face. So I generalize.

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    are you asking us to do research into a setting you wrote yourself?

28. - Top - End - #28
    Bugbear in the Playground

Now that i checked the rules of the lineage thing, it does give me some ideas:

In general, it makes some races better all around.

Like the Yuan-ti (Now you can put those points where you really need it, instead of 2 mental stats) -My artificer would be happy, but i don't think my DM would let me change the stats based on this

The Mountain Dwarf becomes sooo good for everyone now, +2 in 2 stats is really good, the extra weapons prof can be changed for tools and some of the martial weapons for skills.

With Mountain Dwarf you can now make a really good caster, as you now can use it to get Medium armor easily, be it a Wizard with +2 INT and +2 CON or DEX (as you see fit), tools in anything (more useful if there is no rogue with Thieves Tools)

29. - Top - End - #29

MonkGuy

Mountain Dwarves made out like bandits because of this.

Imagine a Mountain Dwarf straight Abjurer Wizard (flavour it as Runesmith or something), with tremendous base AC and the ability to cast Shield (which also gives them and everybody around them stacking effective THP) for literally RIDICULOUS AC.

I'm definitely going to make one of those this season.
    Last edited by prototype00; 2020-09-29 at 09:21 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by prototype00 View Post
    Mountain Dwarves made out like bandits because of this.

Imagine a Mountain Dwarf straight Abjurer Wizard (flavour it as Runesmith or something), with tremendous base AC and the ability to cast Shield (which also gives them and everybody around them stacking effective THP) for literally RIDICULOUS AC.

I'm definitely going to make one of those this season.
    Yup, it'll rival Svifnebli as the best abjurer race.