New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Beholder

Question total skill points with a -2 Int modifier

"Racial Skills: A scorpionfolk’s monstrous humanoid levels give it skill points equal to 15 × (2 + Int modifier). Its class skills are Diplomacy, Spot, Intimidate, Listen and Sense Motive"

Does that mean that if (s)he has a 6 Int (-2 penalty) (s)he only gets the minimum as any other creature/character which would be 4 in this case even though (s)he starts with 12 HD? Since it says (s)he only gets the 15 x (2 + Int modifier which would be -2 therefore equaling 0) so 15 x 0 would be 0 making it the minimum number a character can have which is 4???

Also why would they have diplomacy as a racial skill? Who do they use it on often enough to be a racial? I guess they'd try diplomacy first and then if things don't go well they resort to intimidate? I'm also guessing they'd be using sense motive with both skills?

Damn I haven't played since 3.5 was out. That's what 6-7 years ago? They just came out with 5th right?
    I WANNA PLAY! lol
    I saw a post on Facebook a few days ago that said the hardest monster to defeat in D&D is the "trying to meet everyone's schedule" monster. Sounds right to me.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: total skill points with a -2 Int modifier

You get a minimum of 1 skill point per HD/level. That means you get 16 points to spend (12 HD + 1 class level). Other than that, I'm not familiar with scorpionfolk
    Last edited by Darg; 2020-09-22 at 08:55 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by eyebreaker7 View Post
    "Racial Skills: A scorpionfolk’s monstrous humanoid levels give it skill points equal to 15 × (2 + Int modifier). Its class skills are Diplomacy, Spot, Intimidate, Listen and Sense Motive"

Does that mean that if (s)he has a 6 Int (-2 penalty) (s)he only gets the minimum as any other creature/character which would be 4 in this case even though (s)he starts with 12 HD? Since it says (s)he only gets the 15 x (2 + Int modifier which would be -2 therefore equaling 0) so 15 x 0 would be 0 making it the minimum number a character can have which is 4???

Also why would they have diplomacy as a racial skill? Who do they use it on often enough to be a racial? I guess they'd try diplomacy first and then if things don't go well they resort to intimidate? I'm also guessing they'd be using sense motive with both skills?

Damn I haven't played since 3.5 was out. That's what 6-7 years ago? They just came out with 5th right?
    I WANNA PLAY! lol
    I saw a post on Facebook a few days ago that said the hardest monster to defeat in D&D is the "trying to meet everyone's schedule" monster. Sounds right to me.
    Nope, you always get at least 1 skill point per HD or class level (and 4 for the first time) as long as you have an intelligence score, only mindless creatures don't get skills

Cause wizard decided so, they make some interesting choices sometimes. Maybe and probable

3.5 went out a lot of years ago, 13 iirc. And not exactly 5e has been around for quite a while now.
    Last edited by Trandir; 2020-09-22 at 08:59 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Beholder

Question Re: total skill points with a -2 Int modifier

I initally thought the same that they got 4 at 1st level/HD and then a minimum of 1 for the other 11 but it says " A scorpionfolk’s monstrous humanoid levels give it skill points equal to 15 × (2 + Int modifier)."
    Would they still get 11 for the other 11 HD even though it says their total is the 15 x 0? It doesn't say "this number at 1 HD + so many more per HD".
    Last edited by eyebreaker7; 2020-09-22 at 09:36 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by eyebreaker7 View Post
    I initally thought the same that they got 4 at 1st level/HD and then a minimum of 1 for the other 11 but it says " A scorpionfolk’s monstrous humanoid levels give it skill points equal to 15 × (2 + Int modifier)."
    Would they still get 11 for the other 11 HD even though it says their total is the 15 x 0? It doesn't say "this number at 1 HD + so many more per HD".
    Yes. Because it's counting them all at once. It does that for everything with RHD.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

It's the "(2 + Int modifier)" part of the equation which has a minimum of 1. The "15" part is derived from their 12 HD + 3.

15 x 1 = 15
    Last edited by KillianHawkeye; 2020-09-22 at 12:10 PM.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

DruidGuy

May I ask what are you planning to use the scorpionfolk for?