New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default (Playtest) Hoofprints In The Snow (IC)

Hoofprints In The Snow

The wind blow. In this bright evening it sound like a breathless cynical chuckle. The last spitting laugh of a pony who cannot forgive even on her deathbed.
    This is how Gallopardia is, the wind wishper the mood of the princess into the hears of ponies and others. Or at least so tales and rumores have told.
    This grimm athmosphere doesn't stop Swift Calcalus from sliding toward home, on the Vastok river, riding his amphibian sleigh ship wagon- a clever venchil fitting clear road, ice, or even exposed water.
    The sleigh ship was carried by pack of four specialy trained big husky dogs.
    Swift Calculus was Buying and selling, not only material merchandise, but stories, tales and expriences. The dangers of Gallopardia didn't wore him down, nor even the Princess's deadly sobs- it's just seasoned him.

Now his wanderlust carried him back home to Clover River. Maybe for the Winter Victory Celebration?

Robbin Hooves was galloping further and further away, by the side of the Vastok river. Not an exciting activity, unless you take in count tbe fact, Robbin Hooves was chased by Kossacks*.
    Pack of flying griffons armed with curved and cruel blades, and long worm like moustached carried by the winds.
    Robbin Hooved has managed to escape so far, thanks to the winds who has slowed them down. But now the wind has weakened, and it almost soundex like it mocking Robbin Hooves.
    He can see nearby an amphbian sleigh ship, driven by an old friend- Swift Calculus.
    Quite wild how Robbin has gotten to this scene;
    Being in labour colony of a masonry, for a long time, Robbin Hooves kept resisiting and mocking the injustice, carried by the merchant princess Nobility.
    The richest and vilest of the merchant princes of Clover River and openly a pegasi supremasict.

At the masonry, Robbin kept a high spirit, and recently has led a revolt.
    The revolt has been crushed, but surely the unbreakable control seemed breakable- her merceneries have almost lost control.
    And Robbin Hooves has managed to escape. The roars, the violence still fresh in his mind.
    Can he copy it into Clover River itself?
    To even attempt to answer this question, Robbin will have to avoid being carved by the curved blades held by the claws of the kossacks.

-----

Ooc-
    Please introduce and also describe your characters in your first post!

*Kossacks-

Spoiler
    Show

https://cdn.britannica.com/84/25984-...-Ilya-1679.jpg

I take more some elements from slavic folklore and history into Gallopardia.
    So irl Kossacks, were peasants who ran into the wild parts of Ukraine and south of Russia, became horse riders and spirited warriors known for their love of freedom and violence.
    They have distinct hair and moutstach style, and depending on the context history present them as heroes or villains-
    For Ukrainians they are mostly heroes, and in general they are sort of the slavic version of badass cowboys- riding horses, free and wild.
    Some view them as ruthless raiders and bandits.
    At some point they served the Tzar and even at the Russian Civil war had their own faction "The Green Army".

So in Gallopradia, I thought their culture and style would fit the griffins.
    And those specific griffins are mercenaries.
    Thanks for the OOTSkage of OOTS art, Lord Raziere.

------
    My previouse Avater

Bazzilion legions of thanks to his highness Emperor Ing for the awesome avatar!

Who want to join some freeform Naruto Rp?
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...ound-ITP-OOC-1

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: (Playtest) Hoofprints In The Snow (IC)

An earth pony with a brown pelt, messy, somewhat overgrown black mane and beard, and greyish eyes dashes through the snow.
    If the wind were blowing through his mane in a suitably dramatic fashion, he might look rather handsome in an unkempt sort of way, but the wind had other plans apparently, which was part of the problem at the moment.
    Robbin dared to look over his shoulder for a moment, and as expected, the Cossacks were now gaining at a worrying pace without the wind to slow them down.

Yeah... they don't look like they want to take me alive. Maybe I should try the river? Fake my own death... again? Hmm, that doesn't feel like a trick that works twice, and this time of year, I'm as likely to actually die in there as I am to look like I did.

Robbin sighed, narrowed his eyes, and sped up his gallop in an effort to crest an upcoming hill before his pursuers to break visual contact with them for a moment. Maybe I can hide somewhere? Oh, yeah, that seems likely in an area known for its barren plains. Still, you never know...

Robbin crested the hill, slipped on a slick patch of snow, and sledded downwards a few meters on his rump before getting back on his hooves. He shook some snow out of his mane, looked ahead, and...

Isn't that... yes! Swift's boat!

His energy renewed with a new goal in sight, Robbin galloped at full pace towards the amphibious vessel. He called out to his old friend once he pulled up alongside the boat, grinning ear to ear:

Ho there traveler! You have room for one more on that boat? Either way, you might want to pick up the pace a bit: we have some unpleasant visitors on the horizon! Well, unpleasant unless you fancy the bite of cold steel.
    Last edited by BlueHamsterBean; 2020-09-22 at 01:25 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Swift Calculus sat bundled up on his sleigh, lazily driving his dogs forwards as he catalogued the gains of his latest journey one more time with warm, green eyes. Books and scrolls, a few more pages for his journal, and pickled onions to last him two years! And those were only the more interesting ones! With a swig from his flask of near-freezing tea, the pale-brown earth pony added up the numbers in his head. Though his body was rather rotund and short, with a thick, somewhat shaggy, grey beard and mane, his features were stout rather than fattened. In short, he was a stallion of sharp mind and a body hardened by years on the road.

"Goodness, did I really overspend that much in Maneville? Ach, but I couldn't just leave behind an original book on flowers! Something so fascinating can't be left to molder.....Besides, I should be able to make the difference with the festival coming. Sweet Pudding should be more than happy to buy some berries for her-

Hold on. What is that?"

It is hard to overhear the sounds of an approaching horde of angry griffons, much more so if they are as inclined to swearing as Kossacks are. Though not much worried for his own safety, given he'd not done anything illegal in at least 24 hours, Swift still kept an eye out for the warriors out of curiosity, wondering what may have driven them into such a frenzy. If only there hadn't been that insufferable hill separating them from him! He was about to get up and leave his sled to take a look, when an explanation just so happened to drop into his saddle; in the form of Robbin Hooves tumbling down the hillside.

"Ah, that explains it."

Smirking faintly, he closed up his flask and stowed it away. Best to avoid spilling it in what was to come. One hoof on the sled's reigns, he lowered the other to pull his old friend aboard.

"You should know well enough by now that this is a two-seater, Robbin." he joked, allowing the other pony a moment to settle in. "What did you do this time, then? Tossed another merchant out his own window?"

Before he could receive an answer, he sent his hounds running with a smack of the reigns and a loud "Heeyah!" Expertly trained as they were, they did not hesitate to fall into a sprint, shooting across the frozen lake with the sled behind them.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Well then, I suppose that calls for the first roll of the game?

(1d12)[2]

For bonuses, I believe that should be +1 for being a Merchant who has been working with these dogs for years, +1 for being in a vehicle while the Griffons are not, and +1 for the storm that might help us lose them? These are just suggestions, of course, and the ultimate decider is Igor.

Oof, seems like we'll need those bonuses. XD
    Last edited by Theoboldi; 2020-09-23 at 06:17 PM.
    Always look for white text. Always.
    That's how you do it! Have a cookie!
    Quote Originally Posted by ezekielraiden View Post
    You don't win people over by beating them with facts until they surrender; at best all you've got is a conversion under duress, and at worst you've actively made an enemy of your position.

You don't convince by proving someone wrong. You convince by showing them a better way to be right. The difference may seem subtle or semantic, but I assure you it matters a lot.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Robbin's grin widened as he jumped into the sled. He forced himself to take a moment to catch his breath before speaking.

Many thanks! Aha, I suppose I should. Still, it pays to check that the other seat isn't occupied. Remember St. Petershoof? Best we not have another one of those...

Robbin chanced a look back at his, and now his friend's, pursuers, narrowing his eyes as he tried to gauge their distance.

As for what I did, well, let's just say the ponies back home didn't appreciate all those strikes I organized last year... and decided the best recourse was to send me to a labor camp. Ha! You would think they would know better by now than to exile myself of all ponies to the mines for causing trouble.

Robbin looked back to the approaching Cossacks and shook his head.

They're coming in faster than I would like: we may have to go off-stream to avoid them. I'll take point and try to find a path we can lose them by

Show
    Trying to find the best path: (1d12)[5]
    I think Perceptive and Quick reflexes may apply here? Perceptive for obvious reasons, and quick reflexes to update Swift in time to take appropriate action?
    Last edited by BlueHamsterBean; 2020-09-23 at 08:29 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

(Apologies. Trying to think how to translate the results.
    Also, theo, is Sweet Pudding THE mare?)

As much as fast and loyal the dog pound their hardened paws against the ice, with the weakening wind, wings simply beat paws, as fortold in foal game of Paw, Horn and Wing.
    The Cossaks in mere moment, already hovering around the sleigh.
    "Nopony make fool of the Free Murder Pack twice!" The biggest one yell.
    They are circling the sleigh, waving their blades, but all of Swift's merchandise act as walls to the city which was his sleigh.
    Old trusty barrels filled to their brims have blocked the first slashes.

Robbin, sharp of eye see the quickest path, and show Swift the way- and the dogs turn and twist, making it even harder for the griffins to attack.

But... as it quite usual happens, the quickest path on ice, is the most fragile one.
    The ice start to crack under the sleigh.

------
    My previouse Avater

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Robbin takes in the situation for a moment: he eyes the Cossacks who are flying close to the cargo, takes a look at the cracking ice, and gets a somewhat sheepish expression on his face as he whispers the following to Swift:
    If we escape, I swear you will get a free job from me a month for the next five years for this.

The events that follow blur together a bit: Robbin scans the network of ropes that hold the sled's cargo to it, we need to lose some weight, and attempts to find the right point to cut it with his pocket knife to send it all tumbling down on their pursuers.

Just before he leaps into action, Robbin steps out where the Cossacks can see him, makes his best "princesses above, what is that monstrosity!" face, points into the distance, and yells: By the winter princess! It comes! Run for your lives!", before running over to what he thinks is the weak spot in the ropes and cutting it while the Cossacks are (hopefully) distracted.

Show
    I'm trying to send the cargo tumbling onto the Cossacks: hampering our pursuers and lightening the sled so we don't go swimming.

For my tags, I think I can apply charismatic rabblerouser and Fiery speaker for my distraction, Perceptive for finding the knot to cut to send the barrels over, and Quick reflexes to get it done before the Cossacks wise up to my ruse. That's up to the GM though.

Now for the roll:
    (1d12)[11]
    Last edited by BlueHamsterBean; 2020-09-25 at 11:12 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Show
    Not to worry, Igor. Don't feel the need to even use a roll if the outcome of a task is not in question. We'll just make them as a matter of caution wherever we feel they might be necessary.

As for Sweet Pudding, I did not imagine her as his special somepony, just an old friend and possible business partner. Swift is certainly not the type to think much about love, though that may change over the course of the adventure depending on who shows up.

It's basically a one-shot, so no reason to hold back on the character development.

"Petershoof? Don't be ridiculous, pudgewudgies do not roam this far west!" Swift teased his friend, speaking as though his words were the most common of knowledge. Then, his eyes growing wide for but a moment, he lowered his head just in time to dodge a badly aimed knife, which embedded itself in an oak barrel next to him. "My, these folk are awfully aggressive. I take it you are not out on parole."

Grimacing, he pulled the sled's reigns close, focused on spurning his dogs further to escape the attacking griffons. Perhaps if he used that hill as a ramp? He was about to calculate the escape velocity required, when Robbin's words pulled him out of his mental space. "What, for the chase? Nonsense, we'll lose these ruffians before- what are you doing with that knife?"

In horror, Swift Calculus watched as almost his entire haul of cargo tumbled out of his sled and onto the mercenaries, taking with it his most valuable treasures.

"No, not the onions!"

Acting quickly, he just barely managed to tear one hoof free and hold onto his bundle of books, saving at least them.
    You don't win people over by beating them with facts until they surrender; at best all you've got is a conversion under duress, and at worst you've actively made an enemy of your position.

You don't convince by proving someone wrong. You convince by showing them a better way to be right. The difference may seem subtle or semantic, but I assure you it matters a lot.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Theoboldi View Post

In horror, Swift Calculus watched as almost his entire haul of cargo tumbled out of his sled and onto the mercenaries, taking with it his most valuable treasures.

"No, not the onions!"

Acting quickly, he just barely managed to tear one hoof free and hold onto his bundle of books, saving at least them.
    Robbin winced before turning to face his friend. I don't pretend to know what you had in those bundles... besides onions, but I assure you I will do my best to make up for what you just lost. The ice was cracking you see... I'm sorry: I forgot how thin it could get this time of year. I should have been more careful when finding a path.

Robbin put his eyes back on the ice ahead.
    There are ponies back home who will be very happy to see me back, and more than happy to help begin to recoup your losses too.
    He sighed and gave his friend a weak smile. It would be nice to have a day with you when I don't get you into trouble.
    Last edited by BlueHamsterBean; 2020-09-25 at 03:53 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

No matter how many tricks Robbin played, something in his voice commanded faith- the griffons stop, hovering in place, flapping their wings.
    "What?" The gasp just to be crushed into the ice by the cargo.

And, the floating barrels, chests and boxes let the dogs solid things to run on, until they get to solid ice again!

The Cossacks are nowhere to be seen.

Another half of hour of relativly safe slide over the ice, and the city of Clover River is seen from beyond the silvery mists, which always come when the wind is weak enough.

Coming from the east, the pony duo can see the eastren half, and two of the "leaves" of the Clover River- the Trash and Gold Stables.
    A perfect contrast- one side of the river which enter the city, beautiful and colorful, rich looking city block, filled with mansions, with a tiny dock, with large and beatiful ship.

On the other side of the river, the northen, snow covered cabins, many made from broken ship and carts and quite.. trashy.

Because of the active water, the ice is almost non existent around the city- so it better let the dogs back on the sleigh.
    Also, there are three docks to pick from-
    The golden shore, which is supposed to be only for merchant princes, or the black docks of the trash stables, where the shady arrivers arrive- and the island in the middle- the Clover Heart, here the prime docks are, near the market and the city's center.

Also, Robbin do see the cloud masion of Nobility, who has built it.. probably right after his banishment.
    Maybe for his sake? After all, now it supposed to be impossible for him to ever break into her mansion again.

------
    My previouse Avater

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Robbin allowed himself a sigh of relief once the Cossacks, and his, ahem, "deeds," were behind him.

As the view of the two cities clarified on the horizon, a broad grin spread across his face, though it twitched into a frown for a moment when he saw Nobility's new mansion. Don't tell me that shrew thinks a little thing like height is going to keep me out of her hair. She does know I have friends who can fly, right?
    Robbin turned to the unusually quiet Swift, a slight pang of guilt reemerging at the thought of the lost onions.
    "Which stable is your destination? I understand your plans may have changed..."

Robbin looked ahead for a few moments before speaking again.
    "Tell you what: I can try to find those friends I mentioned, and if you feel like it, we could arrange for a small celebration for you. The least I can do at the moment would be to get you a few mugs of cider."

Robbin was silent for a few moments before a slight smile spread across his face.
    "It's been a while since I've seen good old Trot Sky: he's got some high minded thoughts like any pegasus I suppose, but keeps them well grounded for the most part. He's a scholarly sort; I think you two would get along. And then there's Mata Hairy: ha! She just might be there too: the most stylish yak I've ever met, and one of the best informed creatures in town if you ask me."
    Many thanks to Meto30 for sketching this amazing piece of art, and for allowing me to use it as my avatar!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

For a few moments, Swift stayed silent in honor of the brave onions that had been sacrificed to save his life. Their loss, he vowed, would not be forgotten, at least until dinnertime when something else would fill his stomach. Then, dourly, he turned his head back to swift, and planted himself down firmly on the sled.

"Actually, it's quite alright." Within an instance, his weary expression faded, replaced by one of almost relaxed confidence. "A favor from you is worth twice than all I've lost. Not to mention the dashing escape we've just made. Our heads are rather valuable even without a bounty, no?"

A quick tug from him directed the dogs to change their course, now heading towards the trash staple. "Without my cargo, we can make a more subtle entrance into the city. None will bat an eye at two bitless outsiders dropping into the poorhouse. From there, we can make our way to Yata. I'm hungry to hear what has changed since I've left."

Suddenly, his eyebrows arches up slightly as he recalls something. "Hold on. Trot Sky. I recall hearing about him some years back. Ruffled some feathers with the more well to do scholars, didn't he? You'll have to introduce me later." Not all of the books that Swift had gathered were about purely academic matters. To a free thinker, the strange ideas within them would surely be of some interest. The smell of opportunity hung in the air, almost overwhelming that of the four wet dogs dragging the sled.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

Robbin chuckles nervously at Swift's compliment. Well that's kind of you to say, and I definitely agree our heads are worth more attached than not... I'm never going to live this down though am I? What shall we call this fiasco then? River's toll? The onion pickle? No, wait! Pickled onions!

A mixture of a grin and a smirk spreads across Robbin's face as the sleigh shifts direction towards the trash stable. Home sweet home here I come!
    Robbin turned back to Swift after he spoke. If I play my cards right, we can do much better than a poor house while staying subtle. Mata Hairy's thrift shop is on the edge of town, and she's always in the mood to hear news of the nobles' foreign interests. I just might have a thing or two to tell her in exchange for a comfortable night in her attic and a warm meal. It's better than it sounds: trust me, it's the roomiest attic you could possibly imagine."

On the mention of Trot Sky's ruffling of feathers, Robbin lets out a hearty chuckle. Haha! That he did: put the terror of the winter wind into them; not that they'd admit it. He and some of his friends stumbled on the works of a scholar from the west, one Carmel Marks, who had some unorthodox ideas on the fate of the working class and their oppressors. It's pretty much the same as what I stand for, but with what I feel are some unnecessary complications. I mean, Mr. Marks doesn't consider peasants to be a part of the working class: what kind of sense does that make? They create goods with their hooves: what else do you want? Yes, they're decentralized, but that doesn't mean they can't be organized.

Robbin sighs. But that's beside the point: Trot Sky has his heart in the right place. If he's in town, I'd be happy to introduce you to him; I get the sense you two would appreciate each others' wit.
    Many thanks to Meto30 for sketching this amazing piece of art, and for allowing me to use it as my avatar!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

So it seems, Calculos will lead the duo to the trash stable's decks.
    The dogs bark happily, from the familiar and also rich set of smells: fish and the fisher ponies who brought them, their rotting dingys, the eldery confused mare who keep asking anypony where her grandpa is, the stench of the leatherworkers...
    And simply so many ponies held together in one place, adding their sweat and heat to the mix.

Calcalus will find the Trash Stable even more populated, poorer and dirtier then he rememner.
    Robbin won't notice this big of a diffrence-but a continuing decay- ponies like Trot Sky and Robbin Hooves didnt started to act of nowhere-
    Merchant Princess Nobility has gained more and more power, becoming the richest pony of Clover River and probably of Gallopardia as a whole.
    She pushed forward, with a brutal and merciless tactics, punishing indebters with no regrad for example-kicking widows and orphans without any care.
    The other merchant princes were pushed to follow suite in order to keep up, so in general the situation has gotten worse and worse.
    And it seemed, like any opposition just made Nobility double down, and so in order to stay a relevant competion, the other merchant princes had to follow suite.

Most here also were an earth pony majority. But beside unfortunate souls, there were also shadier members of the Trash Stable- like the Smash Gang, who included the biggest yaks and Earth ponies, and some of them hanged around the docks.
    Will they try to blend in? Or let some friends (and enemies?) Notice them?
    Last edited by igordragonian; 2020-09-30 at 04:30 PM.

------
    My previouse Avater

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

"I'd have called it The Bottom of the Escape Plan Barrel, but Pickled Onions sounds snappier."

Sadly, Swift has to cut the conversation short as he pulls his sled into the docks, climbing a ramp up onto the streets. It may draw less attention to leave it behind along with the dogs, but only a fool would trust the dockhooves in the Trash Quarter of Clover River. The merchant has already lost enough for one day, thank you very much!

Keeping his head down, he takes in the sights and smells of the slums, astonished that things have somehow gotten even worse in his absence. Some things, like the seasons, just never change. "I see there's still plenty of work for you, Robbin." he remarks, a hint of bitterness in his voice revealing his distaste for the state of the city. It doesn't worry him, per se, since there is no one place in the world for him. But still, he feels for the people who have to deal with these circumstances.

Otherwise, he keeps his head down, relying on Robbin to show him the path. No use to make a big ruckus of his return when he's not even brought any gifts.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

"Pickled onions it is then." Robbin quips as he disembarks from the amphibious sleigh.

Robbin takes in the familiar sounds, sights, and smells of his hometown, trotting pensively ahead of Swift to lead the way to Mata Hairy's old shop: The Wheel'n Dealership. His brow furrows for a moment before he lets out a somewhat dejected sigh.
    We live in a powderkeg: one spark, just one spark is all it would take to reduce these injustices to ash... and yet nothing has changed in all the time I've been gone...

Swift's comment brings Robbin back to reality; he nods gravely. "There most certainly is. There has been for a while, though I'd hoped some of my friends might have made some progress while I was away. I can only hope they are safe."

Robbin halts before an aged but well maintained shop. It looks pretty nice considering it's neighborhood: a kind of 'nice' that only survives if its proprietor is respected by the ponies next door. A weathered but easily readable sign hangs above the front entrance, reading: "The Wheel'n Dealership: Smashing Good Deals."
    "It's getting a bit late; I'll probably try to find Trot Sky tomorrow if you want to come along for the trip. He's a smart pony, I'm willing to bet that he, at the very least, is alright."
    Robbin knocks on the door to the shop. "And I would be more willing to bet on the Winter Princess' forgiveness than any harm having come to the fine lady who runs this establishment."

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

The door shake a bit, as somepony.. or probably some yak get to the door- it slammed toward the out side, possibly smashing one of the visiting pony.
    her fur dyed in violet, wearing a headress with three firebird feathers, which spread warmth, and few golden jewelry with spherical pattern.

'Mata Hairy Welcome Customers!' she say relativly loud, but somehow a bit flirty. Her mane cover her eyes, her fur is relativly short for a yak,and she only one head taller then the average male pony- delicate flowers, in yak terms.

'Ah, Robbin. Mata Hairy like Robbin, even when he cause headaches. Come on in, you two,'

Her shop smell nice- of tea mostly. The shop look a bit like a nice, yet stuffy guest room, with a lot of stiched silks.
    'Mata Hairy have heard of Robbin's second rebellion. Mata is pleasantly surprised to see Robbin has survived again.' she say as she pour tea to pair of decoarted cups of tea.

Mata like's Robbin's friend beard. Mata wish to know the name'

------
    My previouse Avater

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

Ah yes, that age old mistake of forgetting the door opens outwards. With a sound like peeling velcro, Robbin pries himself from the wall to his side, only to be whisked inside by Mata Hairy. When the world stops spinning, Robbin dusts himself off, smiles, and laughs.

"Hahaha! The feeling is mutual Mata, though it appears I'm not the only one who causes headaches... though that was my fault for forgetting the door opens outwards here. It's been so long! How have you been? It seems you know a thing or two of what I've been up to: survived this time by the skin of my teeth, and a chance meeting with Swift Calculus here, a traveling merchant and good friend of mine. Swift, this is the fine yak I mentioned: Ms. Mata Hairy."

Robbin makes himself a little more comfortable as the tea is being poured, letting his eyes wander around the shop.
    He turns to Mata again once the beverages are ready: "I'm surprised the news of the revolt made it to you this quickly: it is your business to be in the know, yes, but Nobility has always put a lot of effort into hushing news of worker uprisings in the past... how much do you know about what happened in the mines? I find myself a little short on bits at the moment, but I would be more than happy to fill in the details of the happenings up north in exchange for lodgings for Swift and myself tonight. There's always favors of course, but I prefer not to rely on 'I Owe Yous' if I can: you get a reputation as a deadbeat after a while like that."

Robbin's brow furrows for a moment before he turns to Swift. "Come to think of it, we never had the chance to exchange tales ourselves: what has your life been like since we last met?"

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Unlike his companion Swift actually manages to avoid taking a door to the face. It's simple enough for him to observe that the door swings open outward by its hinges, and even more simple to realize that this is bad news when combined with a yak. He'd have warned Robbin, but, well, Mata is just a bit quicker than even he expected. "Yes, I see this lady is more than a hoofful to deal with." he thinks to himself as Robbin's promises are substantiated. With an appreciative smile he helps up his friend before entering the house.

Once inside, Swift pulls off his coat and hangs it up at the garderobe, stretching out a little in the warmth of the shop. "Thank you for the hospitality, Mata. Like my friend said, my name is Swift. I'm a traveling merchant, though I come from Clover River originally. It has been a long time since I've last visited, so it's nice to see the citizens of our town haven't lost their charm." Perhaps its a bit gratuitous, but it doesn't cost anything to return the yak's flirt.

Once seated down and with a steaming cup of tea before him, he relaxes and lets Robbin lead the initial conversation. All the better to really enjoy his beverage. It has a nice, full scent of snowberries and crawlroot, a departure from the usual watered down swill you'd get elsewhere. Mata really knows how to make her customers welcome, it seems.

"Goodness, must I take my turn already?" Swift plays at being annoyed that Robbin asked him about his journey before he's learned what has happened in his absence, but quickly gives up the pretense. "Alright, but only because I know you don't get any outside news otherwise. I've been roving all across the west, making small deals and exchanges here and there, seeing were opportunity took me. I've managed to pick up some more books for the collection." For a moment, he stops, quickly glancing about to see if anyone is listening in. Somehow, he discounts Mata from that particular equation. "Even some pre-winter ones. They contain just the most fascinating information. I got quite a few of them from this wizard who said he'd be leaving his home very soon. Though I'm not sure why he was so eager to hand them off to me, I'm rather glad he did.

I've also gotten into a scrape with some bandits at Stonebrook. Just some ruffians who thought they could disrupt my honest trade for their own benefit. I'll give you the details later, but suffice it to say I outsmarted them quite handily."

Show
    Hooray references! Especially hooray reference to the original Gallopardia game.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

Robbin chuckles and scratches the back of his neck sheepishly acknowledging that he hasn't filled Swift in on his end of the story yet. "Sorry to put you on the spot like that. Rest assured you'll hear what happened to me soon enough, though I'm guessing you can probably gather most of it from context and precedent."

Robbin sips his tea as Swift tells his tales, pausing with the cup halfway to his mouth when Swift mentions pre-winter books. "You're kidding. actual pre-winter records? That's more than worth its weight in bits right there! I'm glad they at least fared better than the onions! ...Strange that the wizard wanted to skip town like that though; you don't think there's a curse involved do you?"

Robbin looks concerned when Swift mentions his encounter with the bandits, but claps a hoof on his friend's shoulder with a grin on his face when he hears he got away unscathed. "Bandit troubles are worsening from what I've heard. I'm glad you managed to give them the slip. Glad, but not surprised."

Robbin considers his teacup for a moment before furrowing his brow. "What does law enforcement expect when poverty plagues the land? Of course ponies will turn to crime: they have little recourse."

He sets his teacup down before turning to both Swift and Mata: "Which is one reason why I've been doing what I have. A few months ago, I got caught after a labor demonstration me and a few friends set up was crushed by Nobility's enforcers. That probably isn't new to you, Mata, but I can elaborate on what came after the fact: first of all, a complete farce of a trial, and then exile to the griffonian city of Saberia. Nobility has a mining colony up there to the Northwest, though no worker with options on the table would choose to labor there. There are no safety precautions, so tunnels regularly collapse, and frostbite is as common as the snow and winds that cause it. Suffice it to say that the workers had had about enough of this already: they just didn't think anything could change."

Robbin takes a sip of his tea, before getting a wide, maniacal grin on his face. "Which means they were pretty banished stupid to send me there weren't they? Progress was slow, but eventually I was able to get them to understand the simple mathematical fact that there were twice as many workers as enforcers in the mine, and that a pickaxe can be as good as a scimitar under the right conditions. The initial revolt was a success, and we might have been able to hold it against the inevitable counterattack by the Cossacks... if our organization hadn't broken when some bright spark decided we ought to be arguing over splitting the mine's resources rather than fortifying our defenses."

Robbin sighs and considers his teacup again. "Some of the indentured servants and slaves, yes, slaves, managed to escape. They probably had an easier time of it than I did because they left before the Cossacks arrived... I just hope they've been able to keep that freedom."

Robbin brings his hoof down on the table (though not so hard as to knock over any cups), and looks both Swift and Mata in the eye.
    "But successful or not, this revolt could easily be used to show the common creature the weaknesses of Nobility's rule: it took the Cossacks five days to mount a counterattack due to the distance between the mine and the nearest town. This is not an unusual scenario in these lands: we are dispersed, and Nobility is unpopular. She cannot keep everycreature down at once: only fear can do that, and fear can be overcome."

Robbin looks at his hoof on the table and remembers his manners, withdrawing it sheepishly. "Or at least, so I hope: it certainly won't be easy."

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Mata Hairy seems facinated, as far a pony can tell without looking into her eyes.
    And maybe that why she hide them.
    Her smile, widen a bit at Swift's flirting back.
    Despite her colorful looks and attitude, she actually a good listener.
    The yak even brought plate of yakkish tart-

https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/c...S_June5512.jpg

"Yes... Mata's intel, was from a yak who carry the resource wagons of Nobility's company. This yak has ran away, when the revolt has started. It is shame, but is the sort of a situation, where the bigger foe will win the battle, but eventually will exaust on the long run.'
    She is relativly talkative for a yak, as well.
    Mata turn to Swift.
    "Mata actually have heard of Swift Calculus. Matta is intrested in said books. Matts can arrange customers." she offer
    "Also. Matta wonder. Does Swift Calculus know a mare called Love Nest?"

Of course... Love Nest is the mare which would probably would Swift Caclaus to claim, if the roads wouldn't have robbed him from her.

------
    My previouse Avater

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Swift calmly listens to the story that Robbin tells, sipping on his tea and reclining in his chair. There is a relaxed, but approving smile on his face, his attention firmly set on whomever is talking at the moment. It is only when his friend asks once more about the wizard that a hint of annoyance sneaks into his voice and he glances aside. "I truly wish I knew. That stallion was quite secretive. Only said he wouldn't need them anymore, and that they should get into safe hooves. If only I knew the story behind it all..."

The rest, it seems, is politics. While Swift no doubt supports Robbin and wishes his efforts all the best, both of them know well that the merchant himself will never truly involve himself in it all. Such matters usually have the consequence of binding one down, and Swift could not imagine a worse fate than to be stuck to his commitments.

Holding carefully onto his cup to prevent it from spilling after his friend's grand declaration, he does at least promise one thing. "How about this, old friend? So long as I'm here in town I'll help you keep an eye on who you can trust. So long as there's greedy ponies like those bandits, you cannot just ask anyone to lead the charge to freedom. And I'd hate to see your next revolt fall apart over internal turmoils again. I'll even do it for free, so long as I don't have to do more." With a smirk, he downs a bite of yakkish tart. Hopefully Robbin will understand not to expect more.

Especially since Mata proceeds to make some even more interesting offers! "Customers, you say? Well, I have read plenty of these to completion, so I would be remiss not to share. Let's take a moment later to discuss fees, shall we?" For her question, however, he has to lean back for a moment and think. "Goodness. Love Nest? I can't say I...oh, hold on, that Love Nest? The one that used to dance at the head of the dragon's parade? In that old dress from her mother? It's been a long time, but I do recall her. What has she been doing all these years?"

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

Robbin sighs after he hears that Mata already knew the minute details before grinning again."Well, so much for paying for room and board with my story then. I've always been in awe of your information network... I might have been a bit silly to expect to surprise you with this, but a creature can always hope I suppose. Nevertheless, it looks like I'll owe you one if you don't mind us crashing here for the night. At this rate, the whole of the trash stable is going to have a favor from me, aha!

Robbin takes a few contemplative nibbles of yakkish tart as he takes in the conversation that follows. "Huh, well that was a mysterious happening. Still, regardless of the wizard's tight lips, that was a very lucky trade you made: kudos!"

When Swift offers to help connect Robbin with the right ponies to do his work, Robbin sputters for a moment on a sip of tea, though he rallies well. He gives Swift a surprised, yet thankful look.
    "Um... yes, that would be wonderful actually. I mean, I have a good network of friends here already, but they tend to trot in different circles than you. Are you sure about this? While this wouldn't bind our paths together or anything, and I would not expect more of you, this would still be the most involved with my work that you've ever been. Some ponies may not be able to tell the difference between a friend's kind actions and outright collaboration."

Robbin listens to the rest of the conversation interested but not entirely invested. He perks an ear at Swift's reaction to the mention of Love Nest, and begins turning it over in his head. Love Nest? Huh, never heard of her. She couldn't be... nah, I would have known if Swift was involved with a mare recently... recently... well maybe that's why you haven't heard of her now Robbin.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Mata smile at Swift's agreement to do buisness.
    'Mata apreciate merchants getting down to business. 30% of Swift's profit from this wouldn't be too much, now would it?' she start the haggle.
    She turn back to Robbin. 'Mata is a business yak. But Mata Hairy is fair- Mata only knew of the beginning of the revolt. Robbin has brought important intel. This intel has many meanings- for example, usually Cossacks avoid jobs of suppressing the common folk- they are supposed to believe in freedom. Mata will have to research this, so if all Robbin wish is a room and board- you are welcomed. Just be discreet if it possible- Mata wouldn't want to deal with Nobility's bullies.'

and turn back to Swift. Her smile shrink just a bit.
    'Mata remember. Love Nest has asked Mata about Swift Calculus, just yesterday. Mata Hairy was amused- Love Nest is supposed to be happily married.'

------
    My previouse Avater

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

To be entirely honest, Swift spends most of Robbin's objection wondering about what a 'kudos' is meant to be. Some kind of pre-winter term? He'll have to research it. That said, he does hear the last sentence of it all in particular.

"Collaboration? You mean like nearly drowning a battalion of cossacks with my cargo?" He chuckles, giving an exaggerated shrug. "Now don't misunderstand me, I'm not picking out your allies for you. I'm just going to make sure you don't end up in cahoots with a bunch of common ruffians."

His reaction to Mata's haggling, however, is not quite so graceful. "Thirty?!" he exclaims, for a moment loosing his grip on a plate and only catching it at the last moment. "I do like a woman who knows what she wants, but that is back alley robbery! Fifteen would be more than generous in my home town!" It really wouldn't be, but even so it's not an awful price. Even when haggling, Swift's never been one to try and rip another person off.

However, his competitive tune comes to a sudden stop when both Mata and Robbin end up staring at him over Love Nest's actions. "N-Now hold on, you two. Don't let your imagination gallop away with you. Love and I never had that kind of relationship. Even if she did give me that kiss at the Victory Celebration 20 years ago...

Mata, did she say anything more than that? Surely she's not yearning for a crush she had when she was still almost a filly?"

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

Robbin inclines his head respectfully towards Mata. "Many thanks: as far as I can tell, we left our pursuers in the dust, and entered the trash stable discreetly, so I don't expect us to cause any trouble for you because of this. Aha, it is also somewhat heartening to know that you don't know all of my secrets: I've already had one omniscient mare in my life, and that is quite enough thank you. I really should introduce you to grandmare one of these days: I think you two would get along well."

Robbin takes a few more sips of tea as the conversation progresses, and chuckles sheepishly when Swift brings up Pickled Onions again. "I suppose you do have a point there: it may be a bit late to avoid being seen as a collaborator. I'm sorry about that..."
    Robbin's mood brightens with laughter when Swift mentions "picking his allies for him."
    "Ahaha! Have no fear Swift: I wouldn't ask you to do that. Don't get me wrong: I trust your judgment. It's just that I prefer to make my own calls in whom I work with anyway. That said, having an idea of whom not to ask would be invaluable. Thanks!"

Robbin listens to the debate on pricing with a smirk on his face. Capitalism. Capitalism never changes. When the conversation turns to Love Nest once more, Robbin shrugs half heartedly at Swift's protests.

"I was only staring because I don't know who this mare is. Any kisses past, present, or future, are business into which I will not pry, though being a slightly nosy pony, I am somewhat curious as to why she's sending a message now... though if you would prefer I step outside the room I promise not to listen at the door. Hahaha!... No, seriously, I won't: your privacy is important Swift."

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Mata Hairy keep haggling a bit. 'Well, Mata guess Swift didn't managed to earn much in Swift's journeys, but with 25 percent? Swift Calcalus the great merchant probably won't even notice!' She does it more for sports.

Mata smile to Robbin. 'Mata love eldery, so maybe one day.' pause and shake her head.
    'Robbin better stay. Robbin might help. Love Nest is searching for her son... the colt was supposed to get back yesterday, but the guards refuse to help. She doesn't have enough money to question around... and even Mata, try not to gallop away too much. Mata wait for ponies to come to her, but... can't find anything.'

------
    My previouse Avater

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

Robbin grins when Mata considers a meeting with grandmare Maple. "That would be nice: hopefully someday soon, though life has a way of pushing back such meetings."

Robbin considers the conundrum of the missing foal while idly warming his hooves on his teacup, his expression growing more concerned as Mata continues. "Well, Nobility isn't going anywhere: this is far more urgent. A friend of Swift's is a friend of mine for better or worse: count me in this investigation. You said the colt was coming back from somewhere? It is somewhat unnerving that no further information has reached your ears on the matter so far: your network, as previously discussed, is second to none... And then there's the guards: they've never been that helpful to me, well, they've never intended to help me, but while they don't tend to be a friendly lot, they can be fairly loose lipped after you get a few mugs of cider in them. You'd think one of them would have talked by now..."

Robbin nibbles on a bite of yakkish tart, pondering the situation. It almost sounds like a cover up, but why would anypony want to cover up the disappearance of a colt? Well... besides the obvious and horrifying possibility of a foal slaver ring, please don't let it be that...

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

Robbin has achieved the impossible, actually getting Swift a little flustered with his needling. "There is nothing to pry into! Me and Love...oh, forget it. Mata, just say what you have to say." The merchant slumps back with a sigh, cursing his childhood attractions.

Even so, his ears perk up when Mata reveals the reason for why Love Nest approached her. Something in his eyes twinkles, a spark ignited by the mere presence of a mystery. "My, that is....curious." There is a worrying hint of utter excitement to his tone, as though he is cheerful at the colt's disappearance. Which, in all honesty, he is. It's not every day that he's greeted at home with such a juicy mystery.

"Do tell where Love lives nowadays." he says, somehow having gotten up in the blink of an eye. Before so much as a second has passed, he has already flung his coat back over his shoulders. "Oh, and if you do have any more information that might help us, you can have the 30 percent you wanted! Consider it a special deal!"

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Mata Hairy nod.
    'This colt was an apprentice of a smith. Love Nest say,that the smith sent the colt home, and that all what the smith know,'
    Mata chuckle at Swift's generouse offer

------
    My previouse Avater

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

Robbin rests his head on his forehooves, thinking the problem over. "Blacksmithing... a good honest trade for a good honest colt. Well, I assume the latter part: all colts and fillies are at least a bit rascally at heart in my experience. Looks like we have a smith to talk to then, don't we? He may not know much about the event itself, but it doesn't hurt to know whom he knows. Well, that and we could check the area for clues."

Robbin uncrosses his forehooves and leans back in his chair, a faint smile on his face.

"Those are my thoughts, but I'll follow your lead on this Swift: you have the better instincts for mysteries. I'll do my best to help with my winning personality when applicable. Come to think of it, it couldn't hurt to ask some of my friends about this too: some of them were trying to organize a neighborhood watch group when I left, but princesses only know what became of that... But maybe we should wait to go forward with this in the morning, and after you two have cut your deal."