New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: (Playtest) Hoofprints In The Snow (IC)

"Oh, I've not forgotten, Robbin. Though sometimes I do wish I could..."

Ah, the iron stable. As a merchant, even a wandering one, Swift is in the very helpful position of having been here more than one time. The goods these ponies produce form half of his lifeblood, after all, the other half being the results of the common folks labor. A stallion like him lives the life of an in-between, a bridge between two worlds that would otherwise barely intersect.

Yet some ponies would burn those very bridges on which they rely. What blind arrogance.

Still, despite that and other moody thoughts lingering at the back of his mind, least of all about his reunion with Love Nest, Swift makes as enthusiastic an entrance as usual. Throwing the door to the forge open, he swaggers into the swelteringly hot room. "Mister Theory, I take it? Excuse us for barging in so suddenly. I am Swift Calculus, and this is my friend Deft Hooves. We've heard a certain Swift Hit was apprenticed to you until recently?" From here on, he lets the Blacksmith talk.

It's something he discussed with Robbin on the way here. It's best to first figure Horseshoe Theory's demeanor before they state who they are. Not everyone needs to know that they're friends of his family, after all.
    Always look for white text. Always.
    That's how you do it! Have a cookie!
    Quote Originally Posted by ezekielraiden View Post
    You don't win people over by beating them with facts until they surrender; at best all you've got is a conversion under duress, and at worst you've actively made an enemy of your position.

You don't convince by proving someone wrong. You convince by showing them a better way to be right. The difference may seem subtle or semantic, but I assure you it matters a lot.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

The bushy eyebrowed unicorn, stop his smithing after a moment.
    "Yes. I am.' He say shortly and concern shadow his face.
    "...Did he break anything? Is he ok? I will pay the damage just send him back home, his parents are very worried"

He has set of tools and weapons.ready for purchase- some of them glow with magical aura
    Thanks for the OOTSkage of OOTS art, Lord Raziere.

------
    My previouse Avater

Bazzilion legions of thanks to his highness Emperor Ing for the awesome avatar!

Who want to join some freeform Naruto Rp?
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...ound-ITP-OOC-1

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ettin in the Playground

Swift throws Robbin a short, confident smirk. It seems like this stallion will be cooperative. Really, if only were witnesses were like him! His expression staying as confident as it was, and only a little bit less mirthful, he turns back to the blacksmith.

"No, no. Nothing quite so bad. In fact, we are old friends of the family and have offered a hoof in finding him. Solving mysteries is something of a passion of mine, you see, and with the guards being busy elsewhere I figured I could step in and do what I do best. We were hoping that perhaps we could see where he lived, and find some sort of clue where he may have gone."

As he finishes his sentence, his eyes begin to wander along the racks and shelves of artifice. Quite curious. Is there more to this blacksmith than what Love thought to mention?

"Goodness, what an assortment. That's a chain of coiling, if my eyes don't betray me. And of good quality too, not a single dent for the magic to slip out. Have you been teaching Swift Hit magic as well?"
    Last edited by Theoboldi; 2020-12-14 at 01:58 PM.
    You don't win people over by beating them with facts until they surrender; at best all you've got is a conversion under duress, and at worst you've actively made an enemy of your position.

You don't convince by proving someone wrong. You convince by showing them a better way to be right. The difference may seem subtle or semantic, but I assure you it matters a lot.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Orc in the Playground

Robbin returns Swift's grin upon hearing Theory speak, thinking the following to himself. Thank goodness: this makes the second helpful stallion I've met since returning

Outwardly, he tips his hat respectfully to Theory. "Name's Deft Hooves Mr. Theory. I'm a friend of Swift's, and by extension, Mrs. Nest's. A pleasure to meet you."

Robbin takes a look around the room himself, albeit with a slightly different eye, silently considering more... revolutionary uses for the goods. Hmm, with three stockpiles like these, you could probably arm at least 100 creatures. The problem is training though... we'd need more than this to support an uprising. Still, it can't hurt to be polite to the guy.
    Many thanks to Meto30 for sketching this amazing piece of art, and for allowing me to use it as my avatar!

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

'Thank you, good sir. I see you have a keen eye.' Horseshoe Theory say proud in his work.
    'But sadly, no. Not really..' the unicorn sigh, levitating from under the table bent pan. Ugly nasty looking thing.
    'Don't get me wrong, I care for this colt- he give me renewed energy, after my daughter got married and left me alone here.... but I don't he'l ever be a good smith.'
    He shake his head. 'Dull and Nest, have worked so hard for this. I can't just send him back, even with the money back- it truly is, his best option for a better life....' he pull out more failed creations- all the same- bent as if angerly.
    'He is passionate and energetic, but lack patience- he act, as if he sat once on hedgehog, so he never wish to sit again.' he chuckle.
    'Swift Hit is also a reckless one... and to be a good smith, you need not only power- but also, patience.... steadiness. And to make things even harder, he has pride, unfitting for his age and skill- every time, he fail like that, he run off, without letting me to teach him how to do better...' he shake his head.
    'Of course, I don't tell all that to his mother. Her heart will be broken... I am patient...maybe with enough time, I could forge him into a good smith, but it won't be easy'

------
    My previouse Avater

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ettin in the Playground

At first, Swift continues to examine the various trinkets and goods around him, fascinated what just a little bit of craftsponyship can do. However, as the blacksmith opens up his heart about his student, his attention is caught once more. Hit's passion, if nothing else, is a huge clue. "A colt like him...." His eyes slowly wander towards Robin, betraying the obvious comparison going through his head. ...can get into a lot of trouble."

"Trust that my lips are sealed, Mister Theory. You'll get plenty of time with the boy yet, we'll see to that." For a moment, he lifts up one of the pans, examining it. The boy has strength, that's for sure, but not of a directed kind. And if his mentor has not taught him complex magic, it's unlikely anyone else has. All things to note, for sure.

"If you don't mind-" he starts, putting the pan back down. "-it would be a good idea to search his room. Perhaps he's left some clues of where he could have gone."

7. - Top - End - #67
    Orc in the Playground

Robbin shuffles nervously at Swift's gaze, before remembering he's not a colt reporting his latest misdeed to Grandmamare, and straightening his posture before clearing his throat.

"Yeah, checking his room couldn't hurt. If my friend's assessment of the colt is right, I may be able to intuit where he may have kept some things he may not have wanted you seeing Mr. Theory, well, if he had any such things."

Robbin trots towards Swift, perhaps as they are moving towards the staircase, and whispers the following to him through his teeth. "I'll have you know that as a colt, the guards only got called to my house because of me once, and it wasn't really my fault: it wasn't my idea to find out what the guard was stockpiling all that saltpeter and charcoal for... lesson learned of course..."

Robbin winks sheepishly, and continues on his way.
    Many thanks to Meto30 for sketching this amazing piece of art, and for allowing me to use it as my avatar!

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

'O-Of course! I should have thought of it myself!' Horseshoe Theory face hoof.
    'I'll show you-' a knock on the door and a hooded figure enter the workshop.
    'Huh. It seems I have a customer. Just go upstairs, and the left room belong to Swift Hit'

-------------------

The room isn't big. But for a colt of his original social status to have his own room- was quite rare.
    A simple bed stand there, with a small desk, closet and small chest and an open window.
    The room is a mess. On the bed there is a wooden soldier you, on the desk a broken horseshoe.
    From the window... a rope is hanging.

And once you enter the room, you hear a tiny shriek.
    Or did you?
    Last edited by igordragonian; 2020-12-21 at 04:52 PM.

------
    My previouse Avater

9. - Top - End - #69
    Orc in the Playground

Robbin stands stock still when he hears the sound, taking note of the rope out the window as well. He gives Swift a meaningful look, but puts a hoof to his mouth in a shushing gesture. He then quickly and quietly begins to search for the source of the noise.

Spoiler: Roll
    Show
    Adding tags perceptive and quick reflexes to my roll:
    (1d12+2)[10]
    I'll spend a drama point to reroll if necessary:
    (1d12+2)[5]

Edit: no need for that Drama point I see.
    Last edited by BlueHamsterBean; 2020-12-24 at 07:53 AM.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ettin in the Playground

Swift, ever the expert at stealth and subterfuge, nods and presses himself flat against the wall in an exceedingly pointless gesture. Whatever point there may be to the extravagant pose he is striking as he does so, he does not say, but his expression at least is deadly serious. And he keeps his mouth shut, so that's good.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

The noise came from under the bed.
    Something shifting under there. And if you pay attention you can hear a meep.

------
    My previouse Avater

12. - Top - End - #72
    Orc in the Playground

Robbin pauses upon determining the direction of the frightened noises. He puts a hoof under his chin as he thinks, before grinning as a lightbulb is momentarily visible above his head before disappearing. He then speaks aloud so he can be heard by the denizen under the bed as he trots over to the window, covertly gesturing to the bed as he does.

"Calculus? What do you make of this: Ms. Nest would probably be concerned by all of... this. If we don't find your namesake soon... *sigh* the poor thing's already worried sick."

Robbin then gives the bed a pointed look once he is in front of the window. He gestures for Swift to be in front of the door as he continues.
    "If we could at least tell her he was safe, that would help ease her mind immensely..."

Robbin then starts counting down to ten in his head. Let's give the colt a chance to come clean

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

'But he isn't safe! I don't think so!' chrip a tiny squeaky voice.
    'oops. Cat's sounds! I am just a cat! Mew!'

------
    My previouse Avater

14. - Top - End - #74
    Orc in the Playground

Robbin raises an eyebrow at the "cat's" words, but goes along with it for now.

"Well, I see no need to rock the boat for the moment Mr. cat, but you should know that we're here to help out Swift Hit if he's in trouble. Is there anything you think we should know so we can assist on that front?"

While he waits for a response, Robbin quickly checks the rope attached to the window to see if it was thrown into the window from outside, or dropped down from inside the room.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ettin in the Playground

Swift stays glued to the wall for several seconds, utterly absorbed in his attempt at genuine, no-holds-barred stealth! It is only when he realizes that Robbin and the 'cat' are having a conversation that he slowly slinks away from it, looking around conspiringly to make sure nobody spotted him.

"Looks like the coast is clear....." he says, more to himself than anyone else. "You'd better make this fast, Mr. Cat. Else somepony with less good intentions discovers the rope you used to climb into this chamber."

That much is basic deduction, of course. As saddened as Horseshoe Theory may be, he would certainly not miss somepony entering his shop. And had Swift Hit been the one to open his window like this, surely it would have been closed by now. Nopony leaves their windows unlocked at night in Gallopardia, much less in Clover River. Thieves and the oppressive cold make sure of that. Ergo, somepony must have opened up that window recently, most likely clambering up that rope.

"That's a lot of danger to go through just to check on a friend." he adds, slinking towards the chest in the room and checking it for dust. After noting from that whether it has been disturbed recently, he'll open it up.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

'MS. Cat!' the voice correct.
    'Mm.. I mean... meow.' pause.
    'How... do I know that you aren't working for THEM?'

No dust on the chest. It seemed to be used frequently.
    Inside, there is a small plank of wood, with curving in a process- it seemed, Swift Hit tried to make a family portait by carving it.. with a very limited success. There were carving tools inside, and on the book of the blank 'For dad and mom'

------
    My previouse Avater

17. - Top - End - #77
    Orc in the Playground

Robbin stops his inspection of the rope when "Ms. cat" talks about "Them." He looks over to Swift for a moment with a raised eyebrow before turning back to the bed.

"Well Ms. Cat, and I apologize for the mistake, but if my gut understanding of who 'Them' are, then wouldn't we have just dragged you out from under the bed the moment we heard you if we'd been 'Them? No offense, but your disguise is... well, I've seen worse, but...'"

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

"Hmm." With a groan a filly get out from under the bed. Seems 8-9 years old. A pegasi, cyan coated with golden mane... and a closer look will tell you she has fallen from privlige- but very recently.
    Clean. Healthy and even a bit overweight, a certain shine in her coat and mane, while her hooves seemed cracked and injured a bit- as if she walked in harsh areas she wasnt used to.
    Also, she seems to catch a cold- dripping nose, and looking a bit pale.

"Ms. Cat" look tired and scared.
    "...I didn't meant to hurt anypony'

------
    My previouse Avater

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ettin in the Playground

Swift gently puts down the etching he's been examining as the filly emerges, careful not to damage even such flawed artwork by accident. This piece of wood must have meant much to the colt, else he would not have carved it.

"Most ponies do not, Ms. Cat. Some are just more willing to stoop to it than others."

He carefully walks towards her, picking the blanket from the bed with his teeth and pulling it down towards her. "Here you go, warm yourself up a little. You look absolutely freezing." Once she seems snug and warm enough, he'll continue with the questions. "There, there. You're a friend of Swift Hit, then? We're friends of his mother and are trying to learn what happened to him. I'm Swift Calculus, and this here is my dear friend Deft Hooves."

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

"Ms. Cat" sneeze.
    "Thank you."
    "Swift....?" She look puzzled.
    "Are you his uncle?' She ask with a tilted head and a sneeze.
    The filly snuggle in the blanket shaking.
    "Yes... he saved me. From a big scary dirty pony with iron triangle teeth."
    Tears appear in her eyes. "He told me to hide here." Her eyes widen. "He said a real hero never break a promise. He will ne fine. Right?" She ask worried.

------
    My previouse Avater

21. - Top - End - #81
    Orc in the Playground

Robbin moves over towards the filly with a concerned look on his face. I'm no medic, but a healthy filly shouldn't be shaking like that...

He puts a hoof gently on her shoulder to steady her and try to get her to calm a bit, nodding approvingly when he sees Swift has already fetched a blanket.

He chuckles when Swift is called Hit's uncle, sending hid friend a mischievous wink. "He's practically family, so for all intents and purposes, I would say 'yes'."

Upon mention of the pony with metal teeth, Robbin freezes. What the fudge? Sounds more like a monster than a pony; what the hay has little Hit gotten himself into?
    He then realizes the filly probably felt him freeze from his hoof on her shoulder, and that that won't be doing much for her peace of mind. He relaxes, and puts some calming pressure on her shoulders.

"Slow down, slow down: we're here to do what we can to ensure he'll be alright, but we can't do that until we know the details. Firstly, what is your name Ms. Cat? I don't think Ms. Cat is suitable any longer. Secondly, where were you when this happened? And thirdly, uh, what, exactly, happened? Take it easy, take your time: haste will only make this harder for all of us."

He then looks down at the filly and gives her a sympathetic look.
    "Though I can understand your concern: if things get too scary, just tell us and we can take a break for a moment. I think the adults in your world have given you enough grief already today."

He then pauses with a contemplative look on his face before looking back at the filly again.
    "If you don't mind my asking, are you and Swift Hit friends? If so, how did you meet? I assumed you were, but we all know, assumptions can be dangerous."

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ettin in the Playground

Swift throws Robbin a sour look at his little joke about being an uncle, though he quickly relents. “Yes, I do suppose that isn't a bad way to describe it.“ Then, he listens, nodding and murmuring occasionally, the situation growing more curious with each second.

Has he ever heard of a pony with iron teeth, he ponders?

Yet, what catches his attention are the last few words of the filly. 'A hero never breaks his promise.' That boy, he sounds so awfully similar to....well, no matter.
    “Of course, heroes can make it through everything. And that's cause they've got other heroes to help them when they need it. That is what we're here for.“

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

'Ms. Cat' nod
    'O-ok.' the tiny rounded pegasi nod.
    'My name is Golden Property.' she puff her chest a bit. 'My mother is the Merchant Princess Golden Standard, my father is City's Guard Captain Paladin Spirit and my auntie is the Great Merchant Princess Nobility!'
    Golden Property seems to have big pride in her family- but if that so- what is she doing in a room of lower class colt above a smith?

'Swift Hit.. well...' she fold her ears.
    'I have escaped my tutor. I wanted to play with other ponies- filthy commoners would be even better! And... at first nopony wanted to play with me on the streets. Some even called me pig... and said that me and my family are bad ponies... but Swift Hit was there... and he played with me, and helped me befriend the orphans.' she smile.
    'Mommy wasn't happy about it, but daddy actually liked him. He said, Swift Hit could replace him one day!'
    She sneeze.
    'We were looking for our missing friends, yesterday, and this this very big and scary pony-'

An argument is heard from below

'I won't supply weaponry for the likes of YOU!' Horseshoe Theory sound.. angry.

'So... you are on their side. You refuse to help the cause. Then you are an enemy' a cold and metalic voice echo.

Golden Property gasp, shreik and hide again under the bed.
    'It's him!'

------
    My previouse Avater

24. - Top - End - #84
    Orc in the Playground

Robbin freezes when he hears who Golden's "auntie" is, a frown crossing his face, before he catches himself, takes a deep breath, and relaxes his expression.

She's just a filly, and not an unkind one at that: most upper class ponies wouldn't want to play with 'filthy peasants'...

Robbin nods as the filly continues, raising his eyebrow when it is mentioned that Spirit considered Swift as a possible heir, but said nothing.

Then two things happen at once: missing friends are mentioned, and sounds of an argument are heard below. Robbin rises to his hooves and looks to Swift.

"Make sure Golden is safe, and if you can, watch from the stairwell if I need backup. This is more the kind of trouble I tend to deal with I think."

Robbin canters at a controlled pace downstairs and surveys the scene.
    "Everything alright Mr. Theory?"

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ettin in the Playground

As the little filly explains just who she is, Swift gives a little clap of his hooves. Oh, this is getting interesting! No, even more than interesting! It's exciting! And if Swift likes something, it's an exciting story! A noble scion, missing orphans from the sounds of it, intrigue....why, this one has it all.

He can't help himself. His eyes just glimmer with excitement.

However, the sound of ponies shouting from below, and Golden's subsequent panic rip him form his thoughts. For a moment, he hesitates, pondering what to do. However, when Robbin takes charge of the situation, it's just enough to push him over the edge into a foolish decision.

"Like Tartarus you'll deal with this..." With an unbecoming amount of confidence, he pushes his way past his friend, a smirk on his face. "This is our chance to get the information we need straight from the source! And I'm not afraid of some two-bit ruffians."

With firm steps, he struts down the stairs and into the forge room. "Well well, who do we have here? A new customer, or a too familiar face?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Sorry, I could not help but indulge in Swift's Flaw and Drive. The set-up was just too perfect. I'm not sure if I'm quite at the point where I've gotten him into danger yet, though feel free to rule otherwise. I can always use the point.
    Last edited by Theoboldi; 2021-01-12 at 03:03 PM.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

Ooc: ping! A point aqcuired!
    ----

Both ponies join the scene at the smith workshop.
    Wielding a glowing bardich*(*https://i00.eu/img/602/1024x1024w/11l1y4za/7709.jpg)
    An earth pony, larger then what is accepted as normal, his dark grizzly brown coat make him look kind of like a bear, his face peak between endless scars and burns, and indeed- he has a bear trap for a set of teeth.
    But the most scary thing about this pony(?) Is his cutie mark- a sunflower crossed with scythe.
    Flower cutie mark was a death sentence- sooner or later the princess and her knights would kill anypony who unlucky enough to bare such a cutie mark.
    Those who aren't foolish enough burn their cutie marks off, or skin them off.
    (You may roll to check if you can decude more- Robbin has +2 on the roll)

"I am not alright! This criminal try to rob me!" Horsetheory yell.

The large pony tilt his head slowly.
    "...Just a humble fighter for the poor and unfrotunate, good sirs." His voice is gruff, like old mead filled with oak needles.
    "So... are you allies of the opressors or the opressed?" He ask.

------
    My previouse Avater

27. - Top - End - #87
    Orc in the Playground

Robbin furrows his brow upon seeing the strange newcomer. Where have I seen this stallion before...

Then it hits him like a snowball to the snout. Oh... horseapples. This just got complicated

He gives Sun Burn a guarded look, before rubbing his temples with a hoof and speaking.

"The question of who is oppressed and who is an oppressor is complicated. My people in the trash stable are oppressed; I don't think anypony here finds this statement controversial."

Robbin begins to pace, keeping an eye on Sun Burn as he does so.

"But once you begin to apply sufficient force against an oppressor, they may begin to claim that they, too, are oppressed. Nine times out of ten, they're talking out their rump, but not everypony will see that. And sometimes the revolution fails not because it lacked arms, but because it lost its heart, and proved the oppressors right."

He fixes Sun Burn with a determined, but not hostile, glare.
    "That is why generosity and kindness are equally important in bringing about change: I would much rather be supplied by allies, friends even, than by terrified foes. It's harder, and it takes more time, but it ensures the revolution does not lose its heart."

Robbin trots over to Sun Burn and offers a hoofshake.
    "The name's hooves, and while I respect your contribution to the cause Mr. Burn, I can't help but think that you might be approaching this the wrong way. Don't get me wrong: I've seen plenty of blood in my time, but blood isn't the end goal. The end goal is a harmonious and equitable society, and I would like to avoid spilling blood where I can. There are many things I'd like to ask you, but I would prefer to talk over a beverage of some sort than at blade point."

Robbin gestures to a table nearby.
    "Perhaps if we lay down our blades and table our grudges for a moment, we may be able to work out an agreement based on mutual respect rather than fear. Please, take a seat."

He then looks to Horseshoe Theory.
    "I understand that your day just got a lot more complicated than you would have liked, but I don't think this was in any of our plans, and if we want a clean conclusion to this, it might be best to negotiate. I don't think guards trouble Mr. Burn here much, though they would make quite a bit of trouble for the rest of us."

Robbin sighs and trots over to the table himself, pulling himself a seat.
    "It would be really nice to get through the day without anypony getting hurt: I think we can agree that it would at least be inconvenient if nothing else."

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

To try and defuse the situation: I'll try adding charismatic rabblerouser, fiery speaker, perceptive (picking up on Burn's mood and matching tone correctly), and Drive (ensure the country's ways of wealth become more equitable, in this case by making a powerful friend) for a total of +4
    (1d12+4)[16]
    If the roll goes poorly, I will use a drama point to reroll as follows:
    (1d12+4)[9]

Edit: 0.0 Holy crud, natural 12 on my first roll!
    Last edited by BlueHamsterBean; 2021-01-18 at 11:26 AM.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

Sun Burn frown for a very long moment.
    'Fine, boy. Hooves.. then you must be... well.. you are soft.. but you did earned my respect.' the razor teethed pony drop the bardich..
    'Generosity and kindness are dead. The oppressors' have murdered them. But I will entertain you, and consider it' He go to the table as requested.
    But it clear, one wrong sentence and violent things will happen here.

Horseshoe Theory frown. His horn glow, as if preparing a spell-but he ALSO(and) join the table.
    'Well, at least the bandits give me a chance to negotiate. Let's see how far they can hold themsleves, before they show their true face.'

'The face your ponies have torn it's teeth from!?' Sun Burn hiss
    'I have nothing to do with it. I am just doing my buisness' Horseshoe scuff
    'Yet, you work with the merchants!' Sun Burn stomp

------
    My previouse Avater

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ettin in the Playground

“Merchants...so I see!“ Swift pushes past Robbin, a dreadfully smug expression on his face. “Your reputation preceeds you, Sun Burn, and I see that the rumours were not exagerated. But how does one such as yourself fit into the puzzle that has been laid out before me?“

Worryingly, it appears as though he has entered one of his theatrical moods again. This bodes ill.

“Horseshoes' work ethic aside, I do not believe you are truly here to gain arms for your fellow comrades, Burn. No, there is something else in this house that you are after, is there not? Let us focus on that, shall we?“

Yes, it is as one might fear. Swift is provoking Sun Burn to get his attention.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

Sun Burn narrow his eyes.
    '...What are you hinting at? You got the winged little piggy?"

------
    My previouse Avater