New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: (Playtest) Hoofprints In The Snow (IC)

Robbin takes a moment to catch his breath once Swift slows down. He takes in his surroundings and feels a strange sense of familiarity: It's almost like the Trash Stable here...

Then his eyes fall on his friend and he remembers the cage that fell on him. That had to have hurt...
    He canters over and puts a gentle hoof on Swift's shoulder.
    "How are you feeling? You need to take a breather? I could use one too... Though we might wanna figure out what to do with our new 'guest' first. I'm saying this now: I preferred the filly. She may have been one of the bourgeoisie, but she didn't toss a knife at me. She didn't seem a bad sort really... and she might have been a more cooperative lead. But anyway, there isn't much to be done now. There's gotta be a rope seller somewhere in this Stable..."

And with that, Robbin will take a glance at the shop signs displayed in the alleyway. As he and Robbin move forwards, he will keep an eye out for a purveyor of restraints for their new "friend," taking care not to draw unwanted attention to himself or Swift as they go.
    Spoiler: Roll
    Show
    Adding Perceptive to notice signs, Connections with the common folk to get directions, and Blend into a crowd to avoid detection.
    (1d12+3)[9]
    Many thanks to Meto30 for sketching this amazing piece of art, and for allowing me to use it as my avatar!

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ettin in the Playground

Swift weaves through several alleyways and tight passages, through holes in the walls of crumbling buildings and over the low fences of battered houses. His eyes quickly pick out the places where no pegasi will be able to fly after him, and their bulky armor makes it tough to maneuver on hoof. Only when he is absolutely certain that he can no longer hear them galloping in the distance, and that no tracks make it easy to find him does he stop, dropping down next to a stone wall and taking a few heavy breaths.

Yet, though his body aches and his day is getting exponentially more complicated by the second, Robbin's questions put a smile on his face. "How am I feeling? Why, this is the most excited I've been in months!" A small chuckle escapes him before he leans back his head, glancing down at the unicorn he's just foalnapped. "This mystery is beyond intriguing. When we started all of this for Love Nest, I had no idea it would reach so far upwards!"

He allows himself an exhausted, but happy sigh. "Now don't worry, losing the filly was calculated. She'll be brought back home safe and sound, as no doubt these Flower Ponies had stolen her away in the first place for use as a bargaining chip. And whatever they are trying to stop, Swift Hit is caught up in. Our aims, so to say, may even align." With a smirk, the stallion then turns his head aside, assuming that Robbin does not wish to ask any further questions. He'll rest for a while and keep watch, while his friend gathers the means to hold their prisoner.

In a way, it's funny. Though she threatened his life, Swift feels little anger at the unicorn. Even the fact of how she treated poor Golden plays no large role in his mind. For him, she is a lead, one potentially even better than the filly, even though she is likely to be far less cooperative. It is a feeling that for him seemingly overrides all others. That odd, all-encompassing excitement and thrill he feels at truly figuring out the myriad secrets of life. What is a small risk to his life, when this is what makes life worth living in the first place? Sometimes, he's not sure anyone else understands that, not even Robbin.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Swift is gonna do a quick rest here, so I decided to give a bit more insight into his character. His motivations are ultimately selfish, and I figured it would be worth putting that into the spotlight here. It might even lead to some interesting character development by the end of this, if he ever gets called out on it.

Igor, feel free to decide whether or not this counts as a rest in your game.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

Indeed.
    Naturally, the stables are divided into sub stables. This one is nicknamed "The Slag Stable."
    Inhabited by craft ponies... but of crafts which are considered... less respectful-
    Locksmith, poision brewing, document forgery and even by rumors a thief guild supposed to exist.

Two ruggy earth ponies carrying a mare away.. isn't a rare sight here.
    Thanks for the OOTSkage of OOTS art, Lord Raziere.

------
    My previouse Avater

Bazzilion legions of thanks to his highness Emperor Ing for the awesome avatar!

Who want to join some freeform Naruto Rp?
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...ound-ITP-OOC-1

4. - Top - End - #124
    Orc in the Playground

Since a 9 is a "yes," I'm assuming Robbin was able to find rope. Mind you, he would have been careful to barter for it with their captive out of sight: even in shady parts of town, that tends to make salesponies uneasy.

Robbin quirks an ear at Swift's words as he attempts to restrain Ms. Stabbity, which is his working name for their captive. I'll have to do this well: telekinesis complicates this sort of thing, and she was pretty good with it... As he is tying knot after knot, his eyes fall on the crack in her horn, and he winces. It was not by far the worst wound Robbin had ever inflicted: he was not a natural born killer, but there was blood on his hooves nonetheless. Still, there was something that just felt wrong about punching somepony in the horn, even if it was the most sensible thing to do: it felt like striking at the pony's soul in a way that frightened him.
    Spoiler: rope stuff
    Show
    Applying Perceptive to find any flaws in his knots. Actually, Robbin isn't very good at this ^^;
    (1d12+1)[9]

Robbin shakes his head and looks back to Swift, raising an eyebrow at his unusual enthusiasm... well, not unusual for Swift, but a bit unnerving nonetheless.
    "Well I'm glad you're finding some... fun? In all of this. On the other hoof, I would like to remind you that Golden told us she had left her home voluntarily to play with Swift Hit before Sun Burn found them. She said Hit told her to run while he apparently successfully got a revolutionary knight off of his tail. Quite the feat for a colt so young! I'm looking forward to meeting your namesake: I think we might have a few talents in common, ha! ...But anyway, don't get too far ahead of yourself there Swifty: this feels less planned than you are supposing."

Now that they are standing still and protected from the wind in an alleyway, Robbin takes off his coat and puts it over Ms. Stabbity, partly to keep her thin frame warm, and partly to hide the ropes from prying eyes. As he is doing so, he takes a closer look at her, remembering that her blood was an odd color. Oh hay, don't tell me she has some weird infection...
    Once he has examined Ms. Stabbity, he trots over to Swift and takes a look at his condition too. While he's no medical professional, he's seen his fair share of wounds, and trusts he'll be able to tell if anything's broken at least.
    "...Swift, I know this is exciting for you and all, but please: don't be too rash. Think about that for a moment: I'm asking you to be more careful... I know I'm not one to speak here, but we're dealing with ponies who are armed and dangerous now: you might get something more serious than a sprained back if we don't handle this right. Just keep that in mind, kay?"

He takes a look back at Ms. Stabbity before continuing.
    "Otherwise, I guess we just wait for her to wake up. I think I'll leave the talking to you: I don't think she'll appreciate the cheap shot I took..."
    Many thanks to Meto30 for sketching this amazing piece of art, and for allowing me to use it as my avatar!

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ettin in the Playground

Swift turns his head aside, not wanting to look Robbin in the eye as the rebel urges him to caution. Of course this all is dangerous, he knows that fully well! It is only reluctantly that he agrees to his friend's warnings, if only because he does not wish to overly worry him. "I promise, Robbin, I will keep an eye out. And no reckless stunts when it comes to those guards. I do know my own limits." Of course, while Swift may be convinced of this, that is not to say that it is true.

With a groan, he proceeds to push Robbin aside and get back onto his own four hooves, shaking off the snow that's been coating his clothes and fur. "I'm alright. Don't worry." Indeed, other than some bruises he's survived his ordeal pretty much intact. Instead, he steps towards the unicorn, taking a look of his own at her horn. "She's had the worse of it, it seems." From one of his pockets, he procures a short roll of bandaging, kept for emergency purposes. A traveling stallion must be prepared for anything, after all. And while he's far from a doctor, he's read his fair share of texts on anatomy. "You've got to be careful with cracks like these. The leylines running across them can react violently if used to cast in this state. That might worsen the injury. It's best to affix them in place as soon as possible." With a few quick movements, he wraps a steadying cocoon around the mare's horn, hopefully keeping it steady enough to heal.

As he works, and waits for the mare to awaken, he picks up a topic that Robbin mentioned earlier. "Truth be told, I somewhat regret returning the filly to her parents. And believe me, had there been a better choice in that situation I would have taken it. This city...it can be stifling, despite all of its mysteries, and it must be even worse when you are born to the kind of obligations she has been. It's no wonder she ran away to see something other than the walls of her estate. I'm not looking forward to telling Swift what I did when he's taken so many risks on her behalf."
    Always look for white text. Always.
    That's how you do it! Have a cookie!
    Quote Originally Posted by ezekielraiden View Post
    You don't win people over by beating them with facts until they surrender; at best all you've got is a conversion under duress, and at worst you've actively made an enemy of your position.

You don't convince by proving someone wrong. You convince by showing them a better way to be right. The difference may seem subtle or semantic, but I assure you it matters a lot.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

The mare flinch a bit when her horn ia touched.
    She might wake up sooner then convient.
    On more civil street it would have attracted attention, but at thr Slag Stable, nopony seems to care.

------
    My previouse Avater

7. - Top - End - #127
    Orc in the Playground

Robbin considers Swift's promise before grinning mischievously.
    "I'll hold you to that. Remember: you'll owe me one if I have to get your rump out of a fire. Now that would be an odd turn of events!"

Robbin does not resist when Swift shoves him out of the way: Robbin knows who the better read "medic" here is. He stands back and listens to his friend mutter facts both medical and magical that Robbin regrets he does not recognize. He leans against the side of the alcove they are in, forehooves behind his head. As the conversation shifts to Golden once again, Robbin nods and goes back to standing on all four hooves. He shakes himself to remove what snow has managed to land on him before cantering over to Swift to see how he's been faring on the wound care front.
    "Yeah, I don't envy those obligations myself, though we can't forget they come with nice perks like regular meals and armed guards. Think about it: the guards were after her, not Swift Hit. That right there is classism at work... Though to be honest, I do feel a little bad for her, but mainly because she has Nobility as a relative. Pegasus or not, that's going to give the poor filly a complex of some sort down the line..."

Robbin looks at Ms. Stabbity curiously.
    "You don't think we're gonna have to deal with too much magic do you? I man, I'm all for her getting better, but on the other hoof, I don't fancy the thought of a sharp object to the flank...

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ettin in the Playground

"Well, if she's stupid to try anything, we can just block the magical emanations of her horn. Like stifling a flame." Noticing that the unicorn rebel seems to be reacting increasing strongly to her surroundings, he realizes that she may wake up soon. Swift does his best to pull her over to a relatively secluded part of the alley. While most ponies in the slag stable are unlikely to stick their noses in the business of others, one can never be sure just who might be listening in.

"I doubt she would be, though. You don't survive opposing the princess directly for this long if you don't know what you're doing. Or am I wrong about that, Mister Deft Hooves?"

He positions himself in front of the unicorn, roughly where she'll be looking when she wakes up. This is going to be quite interesting! For all the investigations that he has led, Swift has never had to interrogate somepony.
    You don't win people over by beating them with facts until they surrender; at best all you've got is a conversion under duress, and at worst you've actively made an enemy of your position.

You don't convince by proving someone wrong. You convince by showing them a better way to be right. The difference may seem subtle or semantic, but I assure you it matters a lot.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

The pale eyes of the unicorn flinch.
    She wake up coughing something gooey black and inky at Swift's face.
    "...Where am.. I.?"

------
    My previouse Avater

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ettin in the Playground

Swift flinches back as a mixture of what seems to be phlegm, pitch and pure filth splatters his fur, before scrubbing it off with a disgruntled expression. He's not quite sure whether the fact that this substance does not feel sticky makes it better or worse. Judging by the condition of this mare's body, he for once does not wish to know just how many germs she just sprayed him with.

"Slag Stable." The words come as an exhale, before he regains his composure. "More precisely, one of the Slag Stable's many nameless streets, this one branching off hacksaw alley."

Allowing the unicorn a moment to take in her surroundings, he straightens out his back and takes a step away from her. The worst thing to do would be to immediately overwhelm her. Once her eyes clear up a little, he continues. "We brought you here after our run-in with the guards. Don't try to make a run for it. Your horn got damaged in the brawl and we could only do so much to patch it up. We've tied you up, yes, but we're not going to hurt you.

Somepony very dear to us is caught up in something that you are trying to stop. He's a colt named Swift Hit, somepony I know has a measure of respect from your leader Sunburn. His life, and the lives of others are at risk because of something Nobility is planning, am I correct? That's why you captured the foal, to use as leverage. We need you to tell us what's going on, so we can help him."
    Having laid out some of the facts he's managed to scrounge together so far, he allows the mare a moment to answer him. Saying this much should be safe, as far as he recalls.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

I don't trust you." the unicorn say with a raspy voice dry as broken glass.
    "You are working for the tyrants. You have taken the little obese monster from me. You have sentenced Swift Hit to a fate worse then death." she added a grim smile.
    "You have picked the wrong place. I have many allies here"

------
    My previouse Avater

12. - Top - End - #132
    Orc in the Playground

Robbin bristles at being told he is working with Nobility's lot but manages to control himself... mostly.

"The fact that stuck out most to us was that there was a filly was terrified for her life in a cage being hefted away by a pony we didn't know: pardon us for having a problem with that! ...Sorry, I'm not making this any better, but we don't know what's going on, and nopony seems to want to explain it to us! Your friend barged out the door, and you weren't in a mood for chit-chat back there..."

Robbin sighs and takes a deep breath.
    "Look: if Swift Hit is in danger, we want to help get him out of it, and we're gonna keep trying to no matter what, but if we're operating in the dark, we'll probably just keep getting in your way. For your sake and ours, please, explain the situation! I mean, monstrous? The filly is part of the bourgeoisie, sure, but you speak of her as if she was a beast. And what's all this about a fate worse than death? ...The point is, if we don't have to be working against each other, we shouldn't be, but we can't avoid that if we have no idea what all of this is about..."

Spoiler: Roll
    Show
    Adding Charismatic rabblerouser, Fiery speaker, Perceptive for his attempt to pick up on her feelings on the filly (that she's monstrous), and Reckless to show he is honest in his intentions (the idea being that he lost his cool for a moment and showed who he really is)
    (1d12+4)[8]

Edit: Huh, if unmodified, a Yes, But...
    Last edited by BlueHamsterBean; 2021-04-26 at 11:12 PM.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Titan in the Playground

(-2. This unicorn is a zealot. So. No,but)
    Her muzzle crounch.
    "I didn't survived this long just by trusting anypony. What do you think has happened to the other Freedom Flower Fighters? They have trusted ponies like YOU."
    she pant in pain.

Few faces peeks from some windows

"All of the rich are monsters. This thing you call "filly", in ten years will she be any diffrent from her auntie? I dont have the PRIVILIGE of mercy. I am busy protecting those who are worthy of protecting. Therefore, anypong who stand in my way is an enemy of the innocents"
    she cough again an inky blood.
    "By saving this little obese monster, you have chosen her over Swift Hit. There WILL be a sacrafice. And more then one. We are only fighting over who will it be. You have picked an already privliged pony over a poor pony. Your aligance is clear."

------
    My previouse Avater

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ettin in the Playground

Swift, at this, smirks and gives a low chuckle. Partially he is elated to have been on precisely the right track, and partially he is amused at how everypony else seems to be caught up in their own anger.

“So that is how it is.“ he says, his expression changing to a more serious one. “Luck for you, it seems as though you have missed a fact in all of this. Who will and will not get hurt is not a binary in this situation. No, there does exist a third possibility.“

His eyes staring down at the unicorn sternly, he does his best to blot out the faces watching him from the windows. They will only serve as distractions here.“Me and my friend here are willing to risk being that sacrifice. We've risked our lives several times at this point, trying to follow a trail that will lead us to Swift Hit. To that end, we lied to the face of one of Gallopardia's most dangerous rebels, and fought you despite the risk of getting arrested by agents of the queen herself.

We are the best opportunity you have. Really, what are your other choices? Get into open conflict with ponies who know who you are? Kidnap another family member of Nobility, now that she is on high alert? Try and get the truth out when nopony but us is likely to believe you?

You can either let us in on what is going on, or you can give up.“

Show
    Let's see if a more intimidation-based tactic plays more to her feelings. Maybe even enough to get qround one or two of her tags?

I'll add Merchant, Making Contacts, My Drive, and Tough here. The latter because Swift may just shock with the sudden steel his voice can muster. I'm not counting Silver Tongue cause that is more charm-based, I think.

(1d12+4)[5]

Well.....time to hope that no roll was, necessary. XD
    Last edited by Theoboldi; 2021-04-29 at 06:38 PM.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Titan in the Playground

She just stubornly shake her head.
    'Kill me if you must. I won't work with the likes of you'

------
    My previouse Avater

16. - Top - End - #136
    Orc in the Playground

Robbin glares at the mare for a few moments after she speaks before noticing the faces peeking out at the three of them and shaking his head.
    "Well my sincerest apologies for not knowing every single detail of this situation before becoming involved in it. I'm sure it was an obvious choice if I'd known what you did, but it looks like that ship has sailed."

He puts a hoof on Swift's shoulder when he tries intimidation, and shakes his head again.
    "She won't help: she's not seeing straight, and I doubt she has in a long time, or maybe she sees too straight and misses everything else on the side, but that's not important."
    He whispers the following in Swift's ear before pulling back.
    "Besides, there are eyes on us now: probably best we leave while we can and do some real good for your namesake. She's not our only option: ponies like Sun Burn tend to leave a trail, and I've a feeling he's the one we look for next."

Robbin pulls back and gives Ms. Stabbity a mocking bow before beginning to canter away.
    "Otherwise, we keep our ears to the street and follow what rumors we can."

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ettin in the Playground

A frown slowly spreads on Swift's face as Robbin speaks to him, as he is hesitant to accept giving up on a lead. Especially when he has to do so as a result of him deciding that he just had to make sure everypony got out of that situation intact. But unlike the anarchic unicorn before him, Swift is in fact willing to face reality.

"...Fine." he sighs, straightening out his back and turning away. "It's her loss, and Iam not going to be stopped by a dead end." With a dour expression, he quickly leaves the alleyway, not throwing one glance at the tied up mare behind him. She's got enough friends to help her out of her predicament, doesn't she?

Taking care to stay as far away from any other inhabitants of this place as possible, he walks down the rotten timbers and mudslide roads of the Slag Stable, paying close attention to the city's landmarks as he does. His attention to detail and Robbin's knowledge of the city are a sunsend in this situation, as getting lost in this part of town would be as good as a death sentence. Only once he has put some considerable distance between himself and the crazy mare, does he stop once more to talk with Robbin.

"The nerve of that mare! Robbin, you are right about her, though believe me I wish you were not! And after all the opportunity we gave up to get her out of that pickle! Bah!" Angrily, he kicks a small rock off the road, making it tumble down into a small dug-out drain. "That does leave us with only two immediate and easy leads. Sun Burn, and that orphanage that Swift Hit and that little filly both visited. And if we wish to find the former before he learns what happened to his comrade in arms, we'd best do so now. And hope that he won't be out for our blood by the time we find him."

18. - Top - End - #138
    Orc in the Playground

Robbin trots along at a swift but measured pace: on one hoof, you can't linger in these parts, but on the other, you have to look confident so nopony tries anything silly.

Once they have left the worst of the Slag Stable behind, Robbin breathes more easily. He nods gravely at Swift's words.
    "You can't expect decency from a pony who can only see things their own way: if you're always right, why bother humoring other ponies? But yeah, that was a mite frustrating..."
    He doesn't say it aloud, but he can't help but think that taking the filly with them might have been the better option...

And then it hits him: they might still be able to talk to her!
    "Yes! Those options exist, and we may be forced to take them. For the record, I'd check the orphanage first: Sun Burn is the kind of pony who's trail doesn't fade quickly. But, consider this: little Ms. Golden is a well known figure who's address should be easy enough to learn, and this ain't the first time I've snuck into the wealthier districts. Nobility can build her castle in the sky, but even then, somepony has to deliver the milk. Best case scenario: Golden's house is on solid ground and we pretend to be mailmares... metaphorically speaking, and deliver a letter asking to meet her. Worst case scenario: we attach that message to the label of a milk bottle that's delivered to chateau cumulonimbus... that's a cloud, right Swifty?"

Robbin shifts uncomfortably, noticing he's perhaps gotten a little too enthusiastic about playing cat and mouse uptown again.
    "...Sooo, what do you think?"

19. - Top - End - #139
    Titan in the Playground

Some ponies glare at them from the windows.
    Few of them narrow their eyes and do a weird gesture, that looked like a form of a flower.

------
    My previouse Avater

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ettin in the Playground

"It is a cloud..." Swift nods, thoughtfully rubbing his chin as he ponders the new suggestion. "And also the name of at least six separate pre-winter pegasus painters. As I recall, each of them wanted to outdo the last one to bear the name." Then, the corners of his mouth crane up ever so slightly again. He is somewhat skeptical, especially considering it was Robbin just half an hour earlier urged him to more caution, but that is definitely an interesting idea.

"They would not expect us, would they? Not so shortly after getting little Prosperity back. And especially not while they're likely still busy lecturing her." He pretends to ponder it further for a few moments, then relents. "Oh, fine. But we're going in there for clues. No rebelling while we're at Nobility's mansion unless it's related to the mystery. Agreed?"

He stretches out a hoof towards Robbin. Though the longer he remains in one location, the less confident he feels about his own safety right about now, there still needs to be enough time for little rituals such as these.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Orc in the Playground

Robbin pauses in thought when Swift elucidates the history of the Cumulonimbus name.
    "Huh, I suppose the world of the arts has always been a competitive one. I've lodged with Bohoofians before and there's always a bit of one-upmareship going on... But anyway, back to business: thanks for the factoid!"

Robbin listens eagerly as Swift deliberates, trying his best not to get his hopes up, though he is quite happy when Swift agrees. He jumps a meter off the ground before pausing midair and slowly descending.
    "Excellent! I mean, ahem, I'm glad we have a plan! I'll stay on task, no worries! Cross my heart and hope to fly and all that."

And with that, Robbin will happily hoof-bump his friend and continue moving apace away from the Slag Stable.
    "The first order of business will be reconnaissance once we're uptown: keep your ear to the road Swifty!"

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

The Pair of Earth Ponies travel back through the more legitmate parts of the Iron Stables. It seems things have calmed down, and it's all buisness again.
    Beside chatters and whispers about the incident with Golden Property.

They walk toward the Clover Heart- The city's center where they might get rumors, tools disguises and what ever they needed.
    the bridge between the Iron Stable and the Clover Heart were very lightly guarded- the flow of merchandise and ponies between those two parts were too tense to regulate seriously. There were two pairs of guards, one pair for each end of the bridge, quite bored and distracted. Nothing less then an open riot or robbery would trigger them to disturb the flow.
    this bridge was the second prettiest architect wise.
    So the duo shouldn't have issues there.

The Clover Heart was an impressive site, built upon artifical island. The Central Market, ()

the city council is colorful and marvelouse building of the city council. which right infront of it, a stage sculpted of ice with giant ice sculpture of Blizzard Weeps. Beautiful, eerie, unnaturaly slim winged unicorn, which it's eyes always melted, so even her sculpture had tears. Beautiful tiara and snowflake cutie mark.
    The snow nearby had red patterns.
    There were a lot of activity around the stage- after all, the Winter Victory Celebration come in two days.
    What our heroes are going to do?
    (Nobility's mansion is above the Golden Stable)

------
    My previouse Avater

23. - Top - End - #143
    Orc in the Playground

Robbin glances to Swift and then back at the mailpony uniforms on display.
    "You wouldn't happen to have any coin on you for the cause, would you? ...Agh, the onions are already coming back to haunt me."

Robbin facehoofs before looking around at the crowd. He pays close attention to what everypony is buying and what is running out the fastest. Time to use the capitalists' own weapon against them perhaps.

If he can find a good that is about to run out for a relatively cheap price, he will use the little pocket change he still has to buy it and then try to strike a deal with somepony to sell it for more than he bought it: ideally making enough to buy the disguises after a few runs of this or so.
    Spoiler: roll
    Show
    Adding Perceptive to see when something is about to be sold, Quick Reflexes to act before somepony else can, Connections with the Common Folk to find buyers, and Charismatic rabblerouser and Fiery speaker to persuade ponies to buy his intermediate goods.

Total +5
    (1d12+5)[11]

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ettin in the Playground

Swift stands by and watches as Robbin takes off, curious how well his friend will do at haggling. The costumes and pieces he's picked out for the two of them seem like they should work well enough, and he's impressed at how quickly he's found them, though their currently low funds make taking advantage of the city's endless opportunities rather a bit of a chore.

"If he weren't so opposed to it on principle, he could some good coin..."

After a few minutes of observing Robbin's chain of trades and exchanged promises, the sheer amount of which would boggle the mind of a less mercantile ponies, Swift grows bored and decides to utilize his time more helpfully. Spending a few bits on a mug of mulled wine, he cozies up to the nearest group of travelers, striking up light conversations and telling anecdotes both fake and conveniently non-identifyingly real.

Of course, his intent is to steer the dialogue towards recent events and odd sights near and around the Clover Heart, as well as Nobility and her mansion. Carefully, he brings up local news and feigned curiosity at the splendor of her villa, acting the part of the ignoring, recently returned traveler. If nothing else, those guards that took Golden must have passed through the area surely, and most likely in a haste to transport her to safety. Somebody must have seen something! Hopefully, it will even be of use.

Show
    For this, I will count Inquisitive to help get people to talk, knowledge as a traveling Merchant to mingle among the right people, Making Contacts to get along with these strangers, Perceptive to pick up on any cues that I'm making others suspicious, Educated to recall any bits of local lore and history that could help me steer the conversation, and Silver Tongue for that extra bit of Glibness.

Some of these may be a bit of a stretch, so feel free to dismiss them if they don't fit.

(1d12+6)[18]

Well, not like it matters this time around. >_>
    Last edited by Theoboldi; 2021-05-19 at 01:26 PM.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

(Chort. kakiye kubiki!)
    It seemed, that talking into the hearts of ponies is expertise of our both heroes.
    Robbin surely has anothet tale to tell- How he has turned beetroot into a new mail pony AND a boyar* outfit.
    Boyars are secondary nobles, the merchants on the front, who actually do the selling and buying for the merchant princes, the same way, knights will fight the fight of their lord.
    Those kind of second class nobles more or less could go everywhere, carrying messages and deals.

All Robbin had to do, was to get the finest beetroot, switch it for pair of a very green cabages, which turned into three bottles of wheat cider, which have turned into four silver(!) horsehoes.
    the silver horseshoes have turned into a wing jewelry, which easily bought mail pony uniforms, AND the merchant was eager to get rid of a boyar clothes which had a certain red stains which the merchant has refused to explain beyond mables about "tragic beetroot accident"

Swift's tongue also got him to places:
    Nobility is an easy topic to make ponies to talk about.
    This years she she poured unprecedant resources into the Winter Victory Festival. Also she was VERY generouse toward the oprhanage, both with resources and visiting there often.

But she went harder then ever on the Trash ponies. ("tphu Stinking useless ponies")
    They talk about the mansion, and it's extreme securities, and mention, how Nobility basicly gave a hill of gold to an unicorn wizard to do enchantments so any guest Nobility invite could come.
    At Clover Heart, the character of Nobility is described as a very succesful and admirable noble.
    AND she had been rumored to have personal meeting with Blizzard Weeps herself.

Though, there were a scandal of her neice get kidnapped by criminals, but her brother Paladin Spirit has saved her with ease.

*https://images.fineartamerica.com/im...rs-granger.jpg
    based on the Boyar status. In historical russia, they were nobles, usually the court nobles, which were secondary nobles at the capitol, and most of then were the goverment.

------
    My previouse Avater

26. - Top - End - #146
    Orc in the Playground

Robbin, looking much spiffier in his new outfit, sheepishly canters over to a separate table near Swift's and takes a seat, not wanting to disturb his friend's work.
    He sits deep in thought for a good minute before sighing and pulling out a scroll of parchment he acquired for the letter for Golden Promise.
    Princesses' tears: what would Trot Sky and Lemon think of me right now... Well I guess there's no rule saying a socialist has to be a bad merchant...

He is about to begin writing the letter when he remembers that who the letter is from will be important: it will have to be a pony whose correspondence they would let Golden read. He pauses for a few moments, tapping his quill to his chin.
    Her brother? No: they would see through that too easily. Hmm, any noble's seal would be difficult to fake... Does she have a tutor perhaps? This might require some asking around...

He spares a glance at Swift before settling into his seat and waiting for his friend to finish. Once he has, he gestures to the changing rooms in the tailor's shop and hands him his new outfit.

When the two apparent boyars next meet, Robbin pulls up a seat for Swift and sits down opposite him.
    "It looked like your discussion back there went well. Heh, you've always had a talent for that. So, quick question: whom do you think our letter should be from? Our little friend has strict parents: I'm not sure just anypony will do. Does she have a tutor perhaps? That was my best thought so far..."

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ettin in the Playground

Swift, soon after he spots Robbin, excuses himself from the small group of perfume-stinking nouveau riche he's been chatting up. A quickly made-up excuse about not wanting to miss out on a nearby carrot pie sale frees him long enough to dodge into the tailor's shop. There, he switches into his new clothes and takes a moment to groom himself, just enough to not look utterly out of place in his disguise.

Once back outside, and seated next to his partner in crime, he gives a quick summary of all that he's learned.
    "Something is most definitely off about that orphanage. The more I hear about it, the more suspicious it gets. If Nobility was just trying to look good for the community, why focus on this one place so much?" For a moment he leans forward, head between his legs as he ponders the situation. So deep is he in thought that he even completely overlooks Robbin's complement.

Still, when he eventually perks up and rises again, there is a flicker of a plan behind his eyes. "That does, however, give me an idea! Say, Robbin, would a foal at that orphanage not be very thankful for Nobility's generous contributions? And especially towards the kind daughter of that noblewoman, who visited a bunch of dirty stragglers like them? Why, if they had the privilege of learning how to write, they certainly would use their first letter to thank their benefactors, would they not?" With a smirk, he knocks at the side of his head, as if to emphasize how much he likes the idea.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Orc in the Playground

Robbin listens carefully to Swift's discoveries, nodding and furrowing his brow as he describes the anomalous orphanage.
    "That... does sound unusual for her. Perhaps as a publicity stunt when necessary, but often? That's suspicious..."
    He sighs and rubs his temples.
    "It's amazing how much can change in six months or so..."

Then Swift shares his idea: Robbin listens to it with a raised eyebrow that slowly changes into a broad grin.
    "Haha! That's brilliant! By all the scarce warm sunny days in the world I'm so happy I met you Swift! Now then: let's try this out, shall we?"

And with that, Robbin will begin writing a letter in his best imitation of a foal's hoofwriting (a strange misnomer considering that writing is usually done with the mouth). This is the first draft he proposes to Swift:
    Spoiler: Letter
    Show
    Dear Princess Promise,

I know you're not a princess, but I've always wanted to write to one. You're a noblemare, so that's close, right?

I wanted you to know how glad I am for your support of my home: well, me and my friends' home. Because of ponies like you, I even learned how to write!

My friend Swifty is learning how to write too, but he's not quite there yet. They say he's from the Trash Stable, but you'd never know! He's such a sweet colt. He would really like to meet you some day, and I would too! But I know that noblemares sometimes can't go out and play because their parents are strict...

Still, if you ever get to come out and play at the winter's-crest park, and if your parents let you play with less noble ponies, don't be shy! Deft Hooves is a great ice skater: do you know how to skate? He'd be happy to help. No, really: he's happy to help with anything.

But anyway, thank you so much again, and I hope you have a very warm winter!

All the best,
    -Clever Calculus

Robbin looks to Swift once Swift has finished reading this draft.
    "So what do you think? Too opaque? Too indirect? Too adult in diction? Actually, maybe you could write the next draft and I'll critique it: we can go back and forth if we need to."

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ettin in the Playground

Swift accepts the complements with a generous lack of humility, his smirk getting more smug by the second. What can he say? He's gotten very good at this hero business by now.

Still, it remains tough for the stallion to not snicker and laugh when he sees just what Robbin is writing up. Goodness, the nerve of him! Sure, the little hints he's dropping are going to clue in Prosperity on what's happening, but he's just about planning to rub his actions in Nobility's face. Swift has to press a hoof against his mouth to stop himself from drawing attention, and takes a deep breath before he manages to speak up about the writing.

"No, no. I believe this will do quite nicely. However, if you'll allow..." Grabbing the pen in his mouth, Swift gets to work on a paper of his own, writing in the kind of scraggly chicken scratch only an earth pony could accomplish. For the most part, he copies down exactly what Robbin wrote, only he allows himself a large amount of entirely intentional spelling errors. Once done, he spits the pen to the side, and proudly presents his first forgery to his friend.

"There we go! That should complete the peasant image! Now, shall we go ahead with the plan?"

30. - Top - End - #150
    Orc in the Playground

Robbin chuckles at Swift's typical response to praise, but is himself a bit confused by Swift's own laughter at the letter. ...Was it a bit too much?

He is, however, relieved to learn that Swift thinks it will work.
    "Oh! Aha, well I'm glad you think so! I know I can be a bit heavy hooved sometimes. I'm curious to see what you intend to add."

Robbin smiles as he observes Swift rewrite the letter in messier script with deliberate errors.
    "Clever! It's been too long since I was a colt I guess... which isn't to say you're foalish, or more so than anypony else I know, heh."

Robbin claps a hoof on his friend's shoulder once he's finished, and nods emphatically when asked if it is time to proceed.
    "But of course! Let us deliver our message like the proper Boyars we are! Follow my lead then."
    He winks as he finishes that sentence, puts the letter in his mailbag, and begins trotting along slowly and methodically, not rushing or making haste. Basically acting as if he simply belongs and has a job to do.

However, there is the problem of not knowing where Golden's house is exactly, which is something a Boyar would likely know. Thankfully, nobles are rarely subtle when it comes to putting their names on things, so he keeps his eyes peeled for any road sign names that are similar to Golden Prosperity's name or her family members'. Moreover, Robbin is good at avoiding notice in crowds, so when he has a crowd to retreat into, he will risk asking somepony for directions before deftly retreating.

The roll
    Adding Perceptive to follow road signs, Charismatic Rabblerouser and Fiery speaker to get directions when he can, as well as Quick Reflexes and Blend into Crowds to avoid drawing attention to him and Swift.

This totals +5
    (1d12+5)[11]
    Last edited by BlueHamsterBean; 2021-05-30 at 01:28 PM.