New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default ZeniMax bought by Microsoft: Thoughts?

I am just wondering how all of you feel about this.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: ZeniMax bought by Microsoft: Thoughts?

I had to look them up. This should probably go to Gaming (Other). I am not optimistic about the continued survival of the individual studios involved, although Bethesda certainly could do some work on quality improvement. Microsoft and non-buggy software don't really go together, though.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Well, it means that Obsidian and Bethesda are both ultimately owned by the same people, meaning that a FO: New Vegas 2 just became a lot more possible. For that alone I am completely in favor of this.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Probably bad news for Vulkan adoption in Windows games, given that the Id engine games were some of the biggest budget users of Vulkan on Windows. Though seeing as Microsoft still apparently wants to support Nintendo Switch, they won't be dropping Vulkan all together.

Also bad news for those who were still hoping for native Linux ports of any of Bethesda's tentpole games (I personally didn't think it was all that likely even before this announcement, but some people did for some reason.)

Otherwise, I don't really care that much.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by J-H View Post
    This should probably go to Gaming (Other).
    The Mod on the Silver Mountain: Agreed. Fortunately, we have a smart and sexy mod who can make that happen! Unfortunately, that mod is not available at the moment, so I moved it.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-09-22 at 07:28 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Extreme cynicism.

That's my default when it comes to the Entertainment Industry and what it covers.
    Don't know your name but bring the pain.

7. - Top - End - #7

Microsoft has been the publisher of the vehicular combat game "YARIS", as well as of the life simulator "N.U.D.E." , so I'm sure that there is nothing to worry about.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Well Microsoft has been making a lot more good management choices than Bethesda has lately. And the companies MS has bought lately are doing more of what they did before being purchased. They have also still been releasing games on other platforms. I don't think they even had time restrictions on availability on Steam for any of the big releases that I'm aware of. (I'm sure there are a lot of releases I don't know about)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Considering how much complaints all the players have on Bethesda.. ya who cares right?

My only major feeling is a small unease at the concentration of media that happens. Disney, Google, Amazon, Microsoft... it's never good if there's only one too big player.
    Last edited by snowblizz; 2020-09-23 at 04:31 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10

Will Starfield be renamed "Space Cadet 3D"?
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

11. - Top - End - #11
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by snowblizz View Post
    My only major feeling is a small unease at the concentration of media that happens. Disney, Google, Amazon, Microsoft... it's never good if there's only one too big player.
    There's never likely to be a situation where Microsoft is the only "big player" in the video game market. Quite apart from anything else, Sony and Nintendo still exist and aren't going anywhere, then you have the likes of EA, Ubisoft, Activision--if all of those get bought up by Microsoft then you can start worrying about monopolies.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    There's never likely to be a situation where Microsoft is the only "big player" in the video game market. Quite apart from anything else, Sony and Nintendo still exist and aren't going anywhere, then you have the likes of EA, Ubisoft, Activision--if all of those get bought up by Microsoft then you can start worrying about monopolies.
    Sony and Nintendo don't make anything for PCs and consequently do not exist. EA doing their level best to kill themselves apparently and UBISoft seem to be heading there too. Can't even remember what Activision makes. The problem however isn't "now", it's the trend of how things are going. 10 years ago everyone would have laughed themselves silly at the suggestion Disney would dominate the IP space for content interesting to people 4y to 44y and beyond. If you are my age, around 40, Disney now likely owns *everything* you either grew up with or liked. Google and Amazon are going to want to respond in kind so Bethesda isn't the only game developer who are going to be sucked up into a larger conglomerate.

One of these days you are going to wake up in an Apple(TM) car for the sole reaosn you bought their phone in 2012.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

One of these days you are going to wake up in an Apple(TM) car for the sole reaosn you bought their phone in 2012.
    Joke's on them, I haven't bought an Apple phone in my life!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Sony and Nintendo don't make anything for PCs and consequently do not exist. EA doing their level best to kill themselves apparently and UBISoft seem to be heading there too. Can't even remember what Activision makes. The problem however isn't "now", it's the trend of how things are going. 10 years ago everyone would have laughed themselves silly at the suggestion Disney would dominate the IP space for content interesting to people 4y to 44y and beyond. If you are my age, around 40, Disney now likely owns *everything* you either grew up with or liked. Google and Amazon are going to want to respond in kind so Bethesda isn't the only game developer who are going to be sucked up into a larger conglomerate.

Activison is Call of Duty, among other things, and also owns/partners with Blizzard Entertainment which makes World of Warcraft, Diablo, Starcraft and Overwatch. Actually, Activision has their fingers in a lot of pies, but COD is the big one everybody would recognize.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Theoretically the biggest news in video games, which I could not care any less about. Bethesda makes absolutely nothing that matters to me, so even if Microsoft were to go and make their games X-Box exclusives, I'd still have no reason to get an X-Box. And I haven't played anything Obsidian has made in over a decade either (not since NWN2).

Now, if they bought up a Japanese developer I like such as Capcom or ArcSys, then I might have something to worry about. But I doubt that'll happen - Microsoft seems to have abandoned what few efforts they were making to get major Japanese games on their system a while ago.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Theoretically the biggest news in video games, which I could not care any less about. Bethesda makes absolutely nothing that matters to me, so even if Microsoft were to go and make their games X-Box exclusives, I'd still have no reason to get an X-Box. And I haven't played anything Obsidian has made in over a decade either (not since NWN2).

Now, if they bought up a Japanese developer I like such as Capcom or ArcSys, then I might have something to worry about. But I doubt that'll happen - Microsoft seems to have abandoned what few efforts they were making to get major Japanese games on their system a while ago.
    This. Even if I liked the games that show up on X-Box (they don't seem to have the sort of games I enjoy in general), all X-Box games end up on PC anyway.
    "And if you don't, the consequences will be dire!"
    "What? They'll have three extra hit dice and a rend attack?"

Factotum Variants!

17. - Top - End - #17

Xbox is tired of getting their ass handed to them from PS exclusives, since there were a lot of big names on the PS4 (Horizon: Zero Dawn, God of War).

Personally, I like the Xbox line more, as they seem to take things more seriously when it comes to controllers, console operating systems, bugginess of games, and working with indie developers.

When I tried the Xbox Game Pass, there were a ton of games that worked excellently on my PC, some party/multiplayer games that were a lot of fun, and it was really easy to just pick up and play anything that suited my fancy. Had a group of friends coming over? Let's download Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime and Wizards of Legend.

The PSNow, in comparison, has made me kinda disappointed. You usually find one or two triple-A games that are worth playing (Control I think was the last one I was interested in), and then the rest are a bunch of outdated, uninteresting PS3 or indie games nobody really cares about.

So, overall, while I'd say the exclusives for the PS were what made me interested in the PS4, it just seems like Xbox excels in every other way (can't comment on operating power, not my thing). Without that difference, I could see Sony having to take the console war a bit more seriously if they want to match Xbox in the upcoming generation.
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2020-09-23 at 10:24 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

As an Xbox/PC gamer, and a MASSIVE Fallout fan, this news makes me incredibly happy. As has been mentioned before, the possibility of New Vegas 2 may be the only piece of good news I've heard this year, and Microsoft has also talked about putting most or all of the games they acquired on the Game Pass list, which (as a subscriber) I appreciate - I can go back and play the games from when Bethesda had it's **** together, and will be able to try out their future games, so that I don't have to spend $60 over and over to see if they've finally gotten their heads out of their asses. So basically, it's pretty nice overall, but would be amazing if Bethesda can remember how to make a good game (HINT - working with Obsidian seems to work).

That said, I also somewhat agree with Snowblizz's fears. The more mergers and acquisitions that happen, the harder it is to ensure true, reliable, and useful competition. It may not be a monopoly, but it's still easier for Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft to subtly work together to screw consumers the fewer independent entities are involved in the field, and the fact that it is happening does increase the future risk of a monopoly or something similar.

Go Tigers!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ForzaFiori View Post
    I can go back and play the games from when Bethesda had it's **** together...
    Or, at least, their add-ons and modifications to the GameBryo engine to make RPGs have been a buggy mess.

Which, unfortunately, their flagship products run on.

As for it being a good thing or not? Hmm. Time will tell. It would allow for some transfers of programmers to look at the engine modification issues Bethesda has had.

MS, after all, has deeper pockets to attract experienced programmers.

As for competition - eh, if anyone was going to look at Game Company monopolization, they would have done so long ago with EA and its habit of snapping up, then shuttering, game companies to roll them into EA general.
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

20. - Top - End - #20

I think I've settled that in the short term, MS can bring a lot of utilities and engineering to particularly Bethesda but am worried about long-term prospects. This is entirely about the prospect of new games.

I have opinions about non-game stuff that won't be discussed here.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

21. - Top - End - #21
    Spamalot in the Playground

While I dislike anticompetition and megacorps getting more mega and more corp... I'm also happy that MS still has some fight in them in the console space, because one country functionally owning the console market doesn't seem like a good state of affairs either. And that crap Sony pulled with Spiderman being a PS exclusive simply because they had the ability to do so was pretty scummy.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    While I dislike anticompetition and megacorps getting more mega and more corp... I'm also happy that MS still has some fight in them in the console space, because one country functionally owning the console market doesn't seem like a good state of affairs either. And that crap Sony pulled with Spiderman being a PS exclusive simply because they had the ability to do so was pretty scummy.
    Jim Sterling has a pretty solid video explaining why God of War being PS exclusive is a good thing, and it applies very well to Spiderman too. Long story short, games of that level if quality don't show up very often ftom major publishers, and they simply would not be as good without the pressure of needing to be a "killer app" for their console.

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    Jim Sterling has a pretty solid video explaining why God of War being PS exclusive is a good thing, and it applies very well to Spiderman too. Long story short, games of that level if quality don't show up very often ftom major publishers, and they simply would not be as good without the pressure of needing to be a "killer app" for their console.
    Interesting. It puts more pressure from the higher ups to make sure the quality level hits home.

Given, I don't usually agree with increased pressure on developers (it's already a cutthroat business), but I can agree that quality control is something that really needs to be emphasized.

For me, that's gameplay.

I could care less about the fancy graphics that lets me see the mountain several thousand miles away, as I'm usually only looking at the things surrounding my feet, and I feel like that's something that could easily be missed by an exclusive who's developers focused so hard on showing off the console's hardware that they forgot to make a decent game (See: Ryse).

And having someone above your boss to make sure everyone has the same direction ensures there aren't any glaring problems that go unnoticed until it's too late. I suspect this is exactly what happened with Borderlands 3, which has a great foundation compared to the earlier games in the series, but was ruined by changed plans or poor direction that didn't get realized until the game should have already been finished.
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2020-09-23 at 05:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Since I'm not big on ZeniMax's catalog... I'm just concerned they'll put Bethesda on programming the next major Windows release.
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

25. - Top - End - #25
    Banned

Microsoft has a sort of reverse Midas touch, turning anything they though into [insert substance less attractive than gold]. Exceptions exist, such as Mark of the Ninja.

Regardless, the major issue seems to be that when a console maker purchases a PC developer, the PC versions of future games become console ports, and thus [insert substance less attractive than gold]. But since Skyrim (and so on) already suffer from this in spades, the potential fallout seems severely limited.

I say let them have their fun.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by OracleofWuffing View Post
    ... I'm just concerned they'll put Bethesda on programming the next major Windows release.
    That comment is going to keep me up tonight.

Or it may be the gallstones.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Zenimax hasn’t been taking good care of Elder Scrolls so I’m not especially bothered either way. At worst, they will continue making crummy-to-average microtransactioned-to-death content and driving the series into the dirt. At best, the quality will go up and they might start on Elder Scrolls 6 sooner.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

That comment is going to keep me up tonight.

Or it may be the gallstones.
    Considering both are likely to cause severe abdominal pain and vomiting, how will you tell?

(Condolences on the gallstones; I had mine out 20 years ago, and have not been able to each a chop steak, which I'd had the night before, since).
    Last edited by LibraryOgre; 2020-09-24 at 08:27 AM.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

After Fallout 76 and N+1 re-releases of Skyrim, I am glad to see Bethesda under new management.

Whether new management will prove to be an improvement remains to be seen.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    I'm not talking about games being console exclusives though - I can see the value there. I'm talking about the full game being made and then bits of it chopped out of specific ports in order for the accountants of company A to lord it over those of B and C. That is a raw deal for the consumer. It's not like Crystal Dynamics would have not put in the Spiderman content if it were allowed to be made available to Xbox and PC players.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)