New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Kang the Conqueror in the MCU

Originally Posted by Clertar
    He ended up time-travelling on his way out of the Quantum Realm, didn't he? That was in the plot of Endgame. He never spent the IRL time in there, unlike Janet.
    Scott Lang spent five real-world years in the Quantum Realm, but to him it only felt like a few hours. That was the discrepancy.

It's spread out over a couple of movies--in a credits scene from Ant-Man and the Wasp, the Pym/van Dynes are dusted right after Scott jumps into the Quantum Realm. He's in the Quantum Realm throughout Infinity War, and only pops back partway through Endgame, after five years have elapsed following the Snap.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    Scott Lang spent five real-world years in the Quantum Realm, but to him it only felt like a few hours. That was the discrepancy.

It's spread out over a couple of movies--in a credits scene from Ant-Man and the Wasp, the Pym/van Dynes are dusted right after Scott jumps into the Quantum Realm. He's in the Quantum Realm throughout Infinity War, and only pops back partway through Endgame, after five years have elapsed following the Snap.
    Maybe the rat that freed him accidentally tweaked a setting on the Quantum Tunnel that was responsible?

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

I've often wondered how things would've changed if that rat hadn't come by.

Scott Lang might have spent five decades in the Quantum Realm, instead of five years, and if he survived he likely would've missed the Avengers entirely. Without Tony Stark to work out quantum time travel, the Infinity MacGuffins would have remained destroyed, Big Purple would have kept on eating mangos on his retirement farm, and Earth would probably be convinced that Mysterio was the one to save them from the next great catastrophe.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Bugbear in the Playground

Oddly enough, Ant-Man is one of the few MCU headliners that I don't have a lot of trouble accepting going up against Kang solo. He's viewed as being one of the weaker heroes, even in Giant-Man mode, but... there honestly aren't a lot of defenses against quantum-level shrinkers, even against a villain as advanced as Kang. For that matter, there aren't a lot of defenses against the 'carpet the landscape with army ants' method of attack, either. And 'drop a previously-shrunk building on his head' is also an option. Heck, even one of Kang's favourite weapons, the Growing Man android, is kinda hard-countered by Ant-Man.

And regarding the Janet-in-real-time and Scott-in-warped-time thing, I was mostly curious if it had been addressed in the movies and I just missed it. It doesn't seem to have been, so I guess that's that.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by TeChameleon
    And regarding the Janet-in-real-time and Scott-in-warped-time thing, I was mostly curious if it had been addressed in the movies and I just missed it. It doesn't seem to have been, so I guess that's that.
    Bringing Janet back without having aged would undercut the emotional impact of her having been gone so long. Meanwhile, aging Scott by five years would probably just confuse people, and it was easier and cheaper not to worry about it. It might come up in Ant-Man 3, but given everything else that happened in Endgame, I doubt if it'll be addressed explicitly in any future movies. They're probably just hoping no one notices.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TeChameleon View Post
    Oddly enough, Ant-Man is one of the few MCU headliners that I don't have a lot of trouble accepting going up against Kang solo. He's viewed as being one of the weaker heroes, even in Giant-Man mode, but... there honestly aren't a lot of defenses against quantum-level shrinkers, even against a villain as advanced as Kang. For that matter, there aren't a lot of defenses against the 'carpet the landscape with army ants' method of attack, either. And 'drop a previously-shrunk building on his head' is also an option. Heck, even one of Kang's favourite weapons, the Growing Man android, is kinda hard-countered by Ant-Man.

Henry Pym/books Ant-man was frighteningly powerful. He and Vision, if unfettered, would be able to end anyone they really wished (if it were dark-n-gritty world). Scott Lang MCU movie Ant-man is a good secondary character with a flexible level of power to meet specific needs of the moment...but neither the character-based initiative/intellect/incentive to make broader use of the powers, or the gravitas (movie, not character or actor) to go heavy.

Since Ant-man's a comedic character in MCU, and the track record for team-level villains not named Thanos has been farcical, to me this looks to be a cream-pie-in-the-face fight, not a fear the power of size manipulation science fight.

- M
    No matter where you go...there you are!

Holhokki Tapio - GitP Blood Bowl New Era Season I Champion
    Togashi Ishi - Betrayal at the White Temple
    Da Monsters of Da Midden - GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Season V-VI-VII

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mordar View Post
    Since Ant-man's a comedic character in MCU, and the track record for team-level villains not named Thanos has been farcical, to me this looks to be a cream-pie-in-the-face fight, not a fear the power of size manipulation science fight.
    There is a non-zero chance that the main villain will be someone else, and Kang will just be showing up in the stinger. I acknowledge it seems like slim odds to be announcing the casting of someone if they're barely going to be in it given how far out the movie is, but it's possible.