New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default (3.P) How would you optimize a character based around Deafening its foes?

(All 3.5, Pathfinder 1e and quality 3PP sources are welcome. Note though, the condition is slightly different in game mechanic effects between 3.5 and PF1e rules.)

The Deafened status condition is not a very popular one regarding placing it upon your foes ... at least in comparison to other status conditions. Power-wise, it's more effective than Dazzling your foes, but arguably not as effective as, say, bestowing the Sicken or Shaken status condition upon them.

My question to all of you is .... have you seen any builds, or can you recommend any buildcraft methodologies, that optimize Deafening your foes?

I'd especially like to find a way to apply to a spellcaster's schtick to jazz-up the Deafening Spell metamagic feat when attached to damage spells. Sadly, the feat is quite underwhelming. I've had luck applying homebrewing upgrades to the feat, but I'd like to see what I'm missing out there that is already published RAW stuff.

So yeah, I'm interested in all game mechanics and combos regarding spells, feats, maneuvers, powers, gear (magic or mundane), class abilities and natural/racial abilities that make Deafening a bit more intriguing.

Thx in advance!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: (3.P) How would you optimize a character based around Deafening its foes?

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Disaster View Post
    I've had luck applying homebrewing upgrades to the feat, but I'd like to see what I'm missing out there that is already published RAW stuff.
    OP here. Just to clarify my quote above, I beefed-up the 3.5 / PF Deafened condition by making this change:

- If the Deafened status becomes applied to a creature after the Initiative Check is rolled, a Deafened creature's Initiative roll is retroactively reduced by 4, potentially changing the order where it gets to act during a round. This reduction can only be applied once per combat encounter. This drawback remains even when it is no longer Deafened within the combat encounter.

.... The skill check penalty and spellcast failure totals remain the same. Oh, and by the way, my change up above was influenced by this GitP post here - *Link*. My paragraph could probably use some verbiage & grammar clean-up.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: (3.P) How would you optimize a character based around Deafening its foes?

Anyone? Maybe a fresh set of new eyeballs today will spark some help ...

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Well any effect that lasts 'until the end of their (next) turn is suddenly a little better, thanks to the initiative tank.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    What legacy do we leave, after all, but those quotes that others have sigged?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jergmo View Post
    What do you do when you fight an undead that turns into a spider that's filled with spiders that turns into spiders after trapping you in magical webbing? You scream, and you never stop.
    'Prax' is fine.

Take your forklift safety seriously, kids. You'll lose, every time.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Beholder

Saving Shield feat.
    You deflect attacks that could mean your ally’s death.
    Prerequisite: Shield Proficiency.
    Benefits: Whenever an adjacent ally is the target of an attack, you can, as an immediate action, grant that adjacent ally a +2 shield bonus to AC. You must be wielding a light shield, heavy shield, or tower shield to use this feat.

Is something like this what your looking for?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

W.r.t. optimizing Deafening spell, a good delivery mechanism is via deafening spell sculpt spell hail of stones a no save / no SR effect.

W.r.t. increasing the power of deafening, it seems that optimizing for the removal of other senses will increase it's effectiveness. Hence, an invisible spellcaster with invisible spell summons can spike the battlefield via Deafening spell. Even against a foe with true seeing, you could still optimize Hide and then use Deafening spell + Darkstalker to be undetectable---and that's true even if you are casting spells with verbal components.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anthrowhale View Post
    W.r.t. optimizing Deafening spell, a good delivery mechanism is via deafening spell sculpt spell hail of stones a no save / no SR effect.

W.r.t. increasing the power of deafening, it seems that optimizing for the removal of other senses will increase it's effectiveness. Hence, an invisible spellcaster with invisible spell summons can spike the battlefield via Deafening spell. Even against a foe with true seeing, you could still optimize Hide and then use Deafening spell + Darkstalker to be undetectable---and that's true even if you are casting spells with verbal components.
    These are good ideas, AW.

Also, I'll be playing soon in a 9th level mini-campaign that's focusing on a mercenary job against a Drow Wizard's college in the Underdark. Deafening Spell metamagic should get a lot more value on my sorcerer's spells that it normally would. Due to the expected overabundance of enemy wizard's slinging spells (where the 20% spell failure effect will hopefully clean house).

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Beholder

I'm a little confused. Why are you wanting to defend the enemy? Am I reading this wrong?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by eyebreaker7 View Post
    I'm a little confused. Why are you wanting to defend the enemy? Am I reading this wrong?
    Deafen, not defend.
    To remove their hearing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    What legacy do we leave, after all, but those quotes that others have sigged?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jergmo View Post
    What do you do when you fight an undead that turns into a spider that's filled with spiders that turns into spiders after trapping you in magical webbing? You scream, and you never stop.
    'Prax' is fine.

Take your forklift safety seriously, kids. You'll lose, every time.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Beholder

AH that makes a LOT more sense. lol. In that case you could get the [I]thundering[I] enchantment on a weapon. If they fail a save vs it they are permanently deafened.

Thundering
    A thundering weapon creates a cacophonous roar like thunder upon striking a successful critical hit. The sonic energy does not harm the wielder. A thundering weapon deals an extra 1d8 points of sonic damage on a successful critical hit. If the weapon’s critical multiplier is ×3, add an extra 2d8 points of sonic damage instead, and if the multiplier is ×4, add an extra 3d8 points of sonic damage. Bows, crossbows, and slings so crafted bestow the sonic energy upon their ammunition. Subjects dealt a critical hit by a thundering weapon must make a DC 14 Fortitude save or be deafened permanently.

Faint necromancy; CL 5th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, blindness/deafness; Price +1 bonus.