New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Custom Item Rules for Grappling

Starting a thread out of the RAW Questions thread, since I don't believe the answers I am getting are correct.

Spoiler: Quotes from RAW Questions
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripptor View Post
    Q 742 If I create a Use-Activated, Custom Magic Item of a level 1 spell (Standard Action, Personal, 1 minute) is the effect still 'no action', or does it still require a standard action to activate?

Specifically, I'm looking at gloves that cast Fist of Stone(SpC) 3/day, for 2400 GP, and want to know if it's going to eat up an action to activate the same way the spell does?
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    A 742

Use-Activated means that the action needed to activate the item is subsumed by whatever action is necessary to use it. Examples of use-activation in the DMG include drinking a potion, swinging a sword, sprinkling dust, or putting on a ring.

To be honest, I'm not sure your theoretical items makes sense as a use-activated item. Most of them seem to be single use or unlimited use items. An item usable 3/day typically involves a separate action to activate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripptor View Post
    Thanks for the answer! My thought was that the use of 'Fist of Stone' gloves would be to immediately harden your hand while punching (Slamming?) someone, like the 'swinging a sword' example given, or when entering a grapple (for that +3 grapple bonus), like the Gloves of Titan’s Grip which just 'kick-in' three times a day, no activation. Of course, the Brawler's Gauntlets require a swift action to activate, but there are no rules for creating a custom magic item with a swift activation that I can find?

Q 743a
    When creating a Custom Magic Item reproducing a spell (Specifically for a Grapple bonus), when can you make it a Use-Activated Item (Gloves of Titan’s Grip) vs a Command Word item (Brawler's Gauntlets)?

Q 743b
    When creating a Command Word Custom Magic Item, when can you make it a Swift action (Brawler's Gauntlets) instead of a Standard Action?
    Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    A magic item with a spell effect always uses the spell's casting time as its activation time unless otherwise stated.

As a custom magic item, there is no item description to state otherwise, which means it will be a standard action to activate.

All custom items are at the discretion of the DM. Gloves of titan's grip, by the way, are continuous, not use-activated.

You would use the quickened version of the spell instead of the regular version, which in this case would effectively multiply the cost by 45. Again, DM discretion.

First, I am fairly certain that the Gloves of Titan's Grip are Use-Activated, and not continuous:
    Quote Originally Posted by Use-Activated, SRD
    This type of item simply has to be used in order to activate it. A character has to drink a potion, swing a sword, interpose a shield to deflect a blow in combat, look through a lens, sprinkle dust, wear a ring, or don a hat. Use activation is generally straightforward and self-explanatory.

Many use-activated items are objects that a character wears. Continually functioning items are practically always items that one wears. A few must simply be in the character’s possession (on his person). However, some items made for wearing must still be activated. Although this activation sometimes requires a command word, usually it means mentally willing the activation to happen. The description of an item states whether a command word is needed in such a case.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gloves of Titan’s Grip, SRD
    While wearing these oversize gloves, the user gains a +8 enhancement bonus on grapple checks. The power is activated when the user enters a grapple. The enhancement bonus lasts for a maximum of 7 rounds per use, up to three uses per day.

Moderate psychometabolism; ML 9th; Craft Universal Item, grip of iron; Price 14,000 gp.
    Emphasis mine, the gloves are "activated when used", when the "user enters a grapple", and can only be used 3/day. This requires no action on the user's part, and no command word. I believe this to fall well within the category of a Use-Activated item, and not a Continuous item.

Secondly, I have to disagree with this sentiment:
    Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    A magic item with a spell effect always uses the spell's casting time as its activation time unless otherwise stated.

As a custom magic item, there is no item description to state otherwise, which means it will be a standard action to activate.
    This implies that all Custom Magic Items require a Standard action to activate, which I don't believe to be the case.

Creating a Use-Activated Custom Magic item would use the activation time described in the description of Use-Activated item:
    Quote Originally Posted by Use-Activated, SRD
    Unless stated otherwise, activating a use-activated magic item is either a standard action or not an action at all and does not provoke attacks of opportunity, unless the use involves performing an action that provokes an attack of opportunity in itself. If the use of the item takes time before a magical effect occurs, then use activation is a standard action. If the item’s activation is subsumed in its use and takes no extra time use activation is not an action at all.
    As with the Gloves of Titan's grip example above, using the item is not an action at all, and only provokes an Attack of Opportunity due it it's use requiring a Grapple action. The Grip of Iron spell effect is instantaneous, and therefore not an action at all.

Let me know if I'm missing something in the above two points, as they are important for the Item creation question below!

So, if a Use-Activated item does not always require a Standard action to activate, and can sometimes be triggered with no action at all via entering a grapple, would a reasonable DM rule that the Fist of Stone spell would work similarly to the Grip of Iron spell in this way? +3 to Grapple, activated as part of entering a grapple?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Devil

Default Re: Custom Item Rules for Grappling

Without delving too deeply into it, I suspect that part of the problem is that Use-Activated was replaced by Swift, Immediate, and Free action activated in the Magic Item Compendium.