New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: What subclasses don't yet exist, that you want to exist?

This is probably more due to lack of spell support than subclass support but I would like an arcane spellcaster whose focus is entirely on delivering Touch-range spells to deal damage. Looking at spell lists there's very few spells which satisfy, so unless a great deal of new spells are added, you'd have to have a subclass that converts spells to touch range and gets a bonus to doing so. Probably goes outside of 5e's "simplicity" mantra though, so probably a non-starter idea tbh.

No, monk doesn't work for it in my head, even refluffed.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ettin in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Amnestic View Post
    This is probably more due to lack of spell support than subclass support but I would like an arcane spellcaster whose focus is entirely on delivering Touch-range spells to deal damage. Looking at spell lists there's very few spells which satisfy, so unless a great deal of new spells are added, you'd have to have a subclass that converts spells to touch range and gets a bonus to doing so. Probably goes outside of 5e's "simplicity" mantra though, so probably a non-starter idea tbh.

No, monk doesn't work for it in my head, even refluffed.
    Oh nice.

I did like the old arcant trickster that could sneak attack with some spells as well.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MrStabby View Post
    Oh nice.

I did like the old arcant trickster that could sneak attack with some spells as well.
    This too. It hasn't been long since I went to seek how to sneak attack with spells and realized there is no good way to do that- I was so disappointed. I think the only way to do something similar would be combining a cantrip like Booming Blade with sneak attack?

Or those few spells that use weapon attack rolls like...

...yeah I can't recall any.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Amnestic View Post
    This is probably more due to lack of spell support than subclass support but I would like an arcane spellcaster whose focus is entirely on delivering Touch-range spells to deal damage.
    This sounds cool, although I'm struggling to come up with a fictional archetype other than Scar from Fullmetal Alchemist (not that it's a particularly bad example).

5. - Top - End - #185
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by cutlery View Post
    This sounds cool, although I'm struggling to come up with a fictional archetype other than Scar from Fullmetal Alchemist (not that it's a particularly bad example).
    Aruka from Needless can melt everything with her hands and Shigaraki from MHA can corrode anything with his fingers!

Spoiler: Potential Spoiler of MHA
    Show
    At least before he got that bull**** turn-everything-in-a-thousand-long-line-into-dust upgrade. Or whatever lenght it is.

Black Swan from Records of a Fallen Vampire erases magic with her hands (well, specific magic but close) while Hei from Darker than Black electrocutes through his hands (though he can use conductive materials).

Conviniently, besides Black Swan these characters are all [insert element here] with them being Fire, Necrotic and Lightning in d&d terms (at least, I think melting people through microwaves should be Fire).
    And Black Swan is "bypass any defense and nullify most attack spells". Would be easier in 3.5 with touch AC though.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Valmark View Post
    And Black Swan is "bypass any defense and nullify most attack spells". Would be easier in 3.5 with touch AC though.
    There is no way a version of that would be balanced in 5e.

Since casters get the same proficiency progression everyone else does, the old touch attack system isn't necessary anymore.

Contagion and Shocking Grasp probably fit, more or less, as does something like Vampiric Touch.

I haven't seen any of the stuff you've referenced, but I'm going to guess that like the one I mentioned it, as presented in the source material, is bonkers overpowered so little in 5e would capture the same feel. These are essentially instant kills.

Of course, you could always choose to touch someone when using power word kill or disintegrate.

So; blah blah all ranged spell attack spells are touch spells for you, but you get... something like bladesinger AC.

It would need to be full caster to get the power level right, and burning high level spell slots would probably hurt; maybe they can use touch-y cantrips with their caster ability bonus (but not split die like eldritch blast) for rounds when they don't want to use a full leveled spell slot.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Valmark View Post
    This too. It hasn't been long since I went to seek how to sneak attack with spells and realized there is no good way to do that- I was so disappointed. I think the only way to do something similar would be combining a cantrip like Booming Blade with sneak attack?

Or those few spells that use weapon attack rolls like...

...yeah I can't recall any.
    shadowblade is the big one
    what is the point of living if you can't deadlift?

All credit to the amazing avatar goes to thoroughlyS

8. - Top - End - #188
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by cutlery View Post
    There is no way a version of that would be balanced in 5e.

Since casters get the same proficiency progression everyone else does, the old touch attack system isn't necessary anymore.

Contagion and Shocking Grasp probably fit, more or less, as does something like Vampiric Touch.

I haven't seen any of the stuff you've referenced, but I'm going to guess that like the one I mentioned it, as presented in the source material, is bonkers overpowered so little in 5e would capture the same feel. These are essentially instant kills.

Of course, you could always choose to touch someone when using power word kill or disintegrate.

So; blah blah all ranged spell attack spells are touch spells for you, but you get... something like bladesinger AC.

It would need to be full caster to get the power level right, and burning high level spell slots would probably hurt; maybe they can use touch-y cantrips with their caster ability bonus (but not split die like eldritch blast) for rounds when they don't want to use a full leveled spell slot.
    Yeah, they'd need to be heavily adapted and toned down- though those are far from overpowered in their own setting. Out of all I've quoted, the lightning one is the only one that consistently wins (I mean, it's the protagonist) and needs to sweat heavily to deliver every time (because there would be no fun otherwise, honestly).

But yes, in the context of 5e, you can't really translate them directly. Though your cantrip idea isn't far off the mark, considering stuff like Shocking Grasp.
    Quote Originally Posted by stoutstien View Post
    shadowblade is the big one
    Thank you, I knew there was at least one but couldn't remember it.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ogre in the Playground

The more i think about, the more i think a Dex barbarian subclass would be nice.
    Que tous les anciens dieux et les nouveaux protègent la France.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam K View Post
    Sun Tzu never had tier problems. If he had to deal with D&D, the Art of War would read "Full casters or GTFO".
    Quote Originally Posted by King Louis XIII in The Musketeers
    Common sense is for commoners, not for [ PC ].

10. - Top - End - #190

i was going to see what and how the new option get printed before posting but alas I want my pipe dreams as well.

• a rogue that trades sneak attack dice for effects/ recharges every round
    • a artificer that focuses on mind screwing/control. the new spells are a good start
    • an artificer with more item knack so that it is like the lore bard but with infusions
    • a sorcerer or warlock that does blood magic. risk/reward casting is something i miss
    • a meatier ranger that has some mitigation and ways of drawing enemies

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ogre in the Playground

I would like an artist artificer, an artificer that makes paintings that "come to life" in some way.
    Last son of the Lu-Ching dynasty

thog is the champion, thog's friends! and thog keeps on fighting to the end!

12. - Top - End - #192

Quote Originally Posted by zinycor View Post
    I would like an artist artificer, an artificer that makes paintings that "come to life" in some way.
    you can already do this in a way. using the tools required feature you can paint your spells. it is also not a large leap to allow artillerist to use any tool to create cannons vs just wood carving or smith tools.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by stoutstien View Post
    you can already do this in a way. using the tools required feature you can paint your spells. it is also not a large leap to allow artillerist to use any tool to create cannons vs just wood carving or smith tools.
    I guess you are right. Nice thinking.
    Last son of the Lu-Ching dynasty

thog is the champion, thog's friends! and thog keeps on fighting to the end!

14. - Top - End - #194

Quote Originally Posted by zinycor View Post
    I guess you are right. Nice thinking.
    i have an ARTificer in my very large pile of PC ill never get to play as a permeant DM.