New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 49 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Girl Genius XXVIII: Dancink! Ve is here for de dancink!

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    I notice a fair sized chunk of the Middle East is gone and India doesn't appear to be connected to the rest of Asia. In fact, it looks as though the Himalayas aren't there either. So I suspect that globe is a few million years out of date.
    I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Phil just casually sketched in some landmasses without intending it to be in any way accurate.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    It's sparks, it couls just as well be how they plan for it to look like once they're done.
    Maybe it was sent to Albia by someone who needed funding for his personal project. "Give me 200 orphans and enough cheese, and I can turn China into a very large bay!"
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

3. - Top - End - #273
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by geoduck View Post
    I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Phil just casually sketched in some landmasses without intending it to be in any way accurate.
    I suspect that this is the correct answer to at least some of the globe being off.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    Maybe it was sent to Albia by someone who needed funding for his personal project. "Give me 200 orphans and enough cheese, and I can turn China into a very large bay!"
    We know Peking is still there so that spark didn't seem to get the funding they wanted.

Yet.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

4. - Top - End - #274
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    It's sparks, it couls just as well be how they plan for it to look like once they're done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    I mean in real life there was a guy who proposed a massive dam/bridge between Europe and Africa.
    You know, to transport goods, generate energy and move Venice inland.

Pretty sure Sparks are more ambitious, so...
    Using a globe show off their plans makes sense, yeah.
    If only because a 1:1 scale model'd be a wee bit impractical. A tad unwieldy, you know?
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

5. - Top - End - #275

Beholder

The shape of the landmass reminds me of a dragon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    The British conquered the world in search of spices and then decided to use none of them.

6. - Top - End - #276

BlackDragon

Well, if you make a little land bridge to an island, and then to the next one, and then the next one, eventually you bridge it all.

Maybe?
    Not "fire at". I never used the word "at"
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

7. - Top - End - #277

SamuraiGuy

I vote that the globe does not show the world as it currently is - for it shows what appears to be Ireland and Britain together as one land mass, quite a bit further from France than they are now.

But we are given to understand that England at least is under water for the most part; London itself is submerged.

So ... that globe is not accurate.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

8. - Top - End - #278

BlackDragon

I am just amazed that people can tell so much of the actual world from that globe.
    Not "fire at". I never used the word "at"
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

9. - Top - End - #279

Some of us have a cartography fetish. Others just remember the globe their parents got them in elementary school.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Some of us have a cartography fetish. Others just remember the globe their parents got them in elementary school.
    You had globes? We would have loved to have globes! We had to make do with Mercator projections. On a sheet. In a barn.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

11. - Top - End - #281
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    You had globes? We would have loved to have globes! We had to make do with Mercator projections. On a sheet. In a barn.
    You had sheets?! LUXURY! Where I grew up we had one little old lady who actually got to go to school as a child trying to describe this all from memory to us children in between 14 hour shifts at the coal mine!
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

12. - Top - End - #282

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    Mercator? Pah! Spoilt child. We just had the Mappa Mundi and a can-do attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    You had sheets?! LUXURY! Where I grew up we had one little old lady who actually got to go to school as a child trying to describe this all from memory to us children in between 14 hour shifts at the coal mine!
    I would have killed for a little old lady who went to school. My lessons came from an aphasiac parrot who'd been present while two illiterate Frenchmen discussed their holidays while drunk. They'd both been to the same village two days' walk away, but they disagreed on the direction and they had wildly different walking speeds. Based on this I successfully triangulated the entirety of continental Europe in my head.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SZbNAhL View Post
    I would have killed for a little old lady who went to school. My lessons came from an aphasiac parrot who'd been present while two illiterate Frenchmen discussed their holidays while drunk. They'd both been to the same village two days' walk away, but they disagreed on the direction and they had wildly different walking speeds. Based on this I successfully triangulated the entirety of continental Europe in my head.
    But you try and tell the young people today that... and they won't believe ya'.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

14. - Top - End - #284

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    But you try and tell the young people today that... and they won't believe ya'.
    But we were HAPPY then!

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

15. - Top - End - #285

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    But we were HAPPY then!
    because grass had not been illegal back then?
    * my emphasis

http://dmreference.com/SRD/
    http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

Things that don't kill me make me strong
    Things that do kill me leave me dead

16. - Top - End - #286
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hyoi View Post
    I find it kind of surprising that everybody is suddenly talking so casually about Higgs when various non-Heterodyne people are present. Like 5 minutes ago we were led to believe he would kill close friends to avoid being outed as a Jaeger, and now Agatha is enlisting the agents of Queen Albia to help study him. This is potentially going to cost him centuries of work building up all his cover identities.
    She's enlisting agents to study the time displaced ghosthead-in-a-jar, not Higgs.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, but she's starting that conversation by pointing out that only Higgs can see him, which gives away his immense age
    We know that’s how it works, they don’t.
    which blows his cover even if they don't make the fairly easy connection that he is a Jaeger.
    It’s fairly easy to make that connection if you know the man’s connected to the Heterodynes, which they don’t.
    Everyone knows what Jägers are like and Higgs is about as far removed from their image as you can get.

Hell, even if they figured out he was impossibly old, the obvious culprit for that would be Albia, not the Heterodynes.
    Forum Wisdom

18. - Top - End - #288

Yes, but she's starting that conversation by pointing out that only Higgs can see him, which gives away his immense age, which blows his cover even if they don't make the fairly easy connection that he is a Jaeger.
    How does that give away his age? Nobody connected to albia has any idea thats the reason why. All they know is that higgs CAN see and hear this being therefore there is something to detect. They arent trying to figure out why he can see it,

19. - Top - End - #289

PirateCaptain

Other equally-valid explanations for only Higgs being able to see the Vozzler (off the top of my head) that don't require the leap of logic that he's really several centuries old:
    • Only the truly humble can see him.
    • Vozzler picked him for some reason.
    • He was exposed to something onboard the sub he served on. Anybody else from that sub would do just as well, but Higgs is the only one here.
    • Only blonds can see him. Before anyone asks, Agatha is a blonde. Completely different.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

And also, Higgs is a member of Her Majesties' Forces, and not in any way a servant of the Heterodyne.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

21. - Top - End - #291
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Hey, was rereading and came across what I bet is Martellus' new test subject: https://www.girlgeniusonline.com/com...?date=20200214

EDIT: Oh, and another globe.
    Last edited by PoeticallyPsyco; 2020-10-18 at 04:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II

22. - Top - End - #292

Quote Originally Posted by PoeticallyPsyco View Post
    Hey, was rereading and came across what I bet is Martellus' new test subject: https://www.girlgeniusonline.com/com...?date=20200214

EDIT: Oh, and another globe.
    Confirmation Here

23. - Top - End - #293
    Titan in the Playground

But they will rapidly figure it out if they actually have enough !!SCIENCE!! to meaningfully analyze the situation.
    Not necessarily. How would they guess "this thirty-something man is actually several hundred years old"?

Figuring out why he can see it would be the very first thing they would do though if they are trying to build a system that can detect him.
    Except they're not. We are told that on this very page, they're going to test various measuring devices until they find one that works.

But if Rakethorn and Thorpe can't rule those out, they aren't sparks of a caliber to do any useful analysis of the situation at all.
    The point is there are an endless number of potential explanations. There are no guarantee they'll figure out what is deal is.

It seems like if Agatha is going to enlist their help at all, she has to share info with them that compromises Higgs. If Higgs isn't compromised, the research is.
    Not really, once they've managed to detect him, Higgs is irrelevant.

No matter who they blame, his cover as "Jack Tar random sailor #127" is in danger of being blown, right?
    Not really, this is a world where random mecanic #562 can do this
    (pay attention to the vat and mug).
    Forum Wisdom

24. - Top - End - #294
    Barbarian in the Playground

It's on!

I hope it devolves into grappling.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Troll in the Playground

I find it kind of surprising that everybody is suddenly talking so casually about Higgs when various non-Heterodyne people are present. Like 5 minutes ago we were led to believe he would kill close friends to avoid being outed as a Jaeger, and now Agatha is enlisting the agents of Queen Albia to help study him. This is potentially going to cost him centuries of work building up all his cover identities.
    It was der Kestle's idea that he would have killed Zeetha - sorrowfully and unwillingly - if she found out he was a Jager, because that would mean Lucrezia in Agatha's head might find out, and that would have eliminated his ability to protect Agatha and the Heterodyne line. der Kestle may have been mistaken.

Also, it's implied Albia knows who he is, but doesn't mind. And, since he's been in Albia's presence and not been fried, that means all the Brits won't give him a second thought. And he IS still nominally on detached duty as Tarvek's servant, and has been for a while; weirdness will be assumed to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by wingnutx View Post
    It's on!

I hope it devolves into grappling.
    I hope long-term Bang can figure out a way to get vengeance without having to kill Zeetha or get killed herself.

26. - Top - End - #296

All it takes to explain Higgs seeing the Vozzler is for some Spark having involved him in an experiment at some point. Or just coming into contact with an unattended experiment. And we were just in a dome full of Sparks and unattended experiments.

27. - Top - End - #297

SamuraiGuy

What they are going to do is find the necessary frequency to detect / view / hear Higg's invisible friend.
    The question as to why Higgs can detect those frequencies may occupy a lower priority; and Higgs, being a skilled liar (it's part of his job), has probably already thought of 217 different explanations, and will choose one that seems likely to satisfy Rakethorne & Martellus.

EDIT:

Bang is going to try to kill Zeetha. It won't work. Possibly Zeetha will simply win; possibly someone will come by.

Possibly, she will deal "lethal" damage, and then we'll find out that the treatment Madame Zinka gave to Zeetha makes her as difficult to kill as a Jager - which is to say, she'll walk right up Bang's sword and beat her unconscious a la Madame von Pinn.

EDIT 2:

Or, she'll have her Spark breakthrough and use the materials at hand to defeat Bang.
    Last edited by Shining Wrath; 2020-10-19 at 06:43 PM.

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    Bang is going to try to kill Zeetha. It won't work. Possibly Zeetha will simply win; possibly someone will come by.

Possibly, she will deal "lethal" damage, and then we'll find out that the treatment Madame Zinka gave to Zeetha makes her as difficult to kill as a Jager - which is to say, she'll walk right up Bang's sword and beat her unconscious a la Madame von Pinn.

EDIT 2:

Or, she'll have her Spark breakthrough and use the materials at hand to defeat Bang.
    Or during the heat of battle they will have a feminine equivalent of this moment. Tell me you would not want that.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

29. - Top - End - #299

SamuraiGuy

Or during the heat of battle they will have a feminine equivalent of this moment. Tell me you would not want that.
    Well, that requires a ginormous ugly woman to happen by and attack them.

30. - Top - End - #300

Ah, captain Strongarm Armstrong. How your unique brand of insanity lights up a room.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.