New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 29 of 49 FirstFirst ... 4192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #841
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Girl Genius XXVIII: Dancink! Ve is here for de dancink!

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    I see it more as a scapegoat ritual - the blame is explicitly being transferred to the Heterodyne. I don't really see how the Heterodyne (the old ones, at least) would care too much about "See now the price of your power. See now the cost of your actions. See now what your choices have wrought.". Well, apart from as experimental results, perhaps.

But yes, I do see this as being for the sake of the townsfolk rather than being for the Heterodyne.

EDIT: Let's see what the game is. I don't think it will be Candyland...
    But the thing is, the heterodyne really IS to blame. The buck stops here. All roads lead to the heterodyne. Everything the residents of mechanicsburg do, is done for their heterodyne. Maybe its not atonement, but acknowledgement. Heavy is the head that wears the crown and all that. The heterodyne must always remember that whatever happens is on their head. Because they are the ones in charge. And I get the feeling this event/ritual/game/lesson, is meant to enforce that knowledge on them year after year so they can never truly forget. Even if only for one night, they have to acknowledge that yes, everything that happened, is because of them. It feels like that is symbolically exactly whats going on here. Taking that crown, accepting it. Nobody else can do it for her, only she can choose to accept it. And everything that comes with it. I cant wait to see what comes next.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

2. - Top - End - #842
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    But the thing is, the heterodyne really IS to blame. The buck stops here. All roads lead to the heterodyne. Everything the residents of mechanicsburg do, is done for their heterodyne. Maybe its not atonement, but acknowledgement. Heavy is the head that wears the crown and all that. The heterodyne must always remember that whatever happens is on their head. Because they are the ones in charge. And I get the feeling this event/ritual/game/lesson, is meant to enforce that knowledge on them year after year so they can never truly forget. Even if only for one night, they have to acknowledge that yes, everything that happened, is because of them. It feels like that is symbolically exactly whats going on here. Taking that crown, accepting it. Nobody else can do it for her, only she can choose to accept it. And everything that comes with it. I cant wait to see what comes next.
    That's why it is scapegoating rather than atonement - leaving out the religious definitions, atonement is the action of making amends for a wrong or injury, scapegoating is placing the blame on someone else (in this case the Heterodyne).

I don't see any atonement here - certianly not from the townsfolk (who are partying), and I would be surprised if there was any from the old Heterodynes, who seem to have managed only one major moral/religious crisis in their entire history. And that was dealt with by packaging the mess up and giving it to the Cobetites and then having pie.

You may be right about the ritual, but it doesn't give that sort of vibe for me. In fact with this "game" in the offing it sounds more like a regular payment for some faustian bargain. I keep thinking Wild Hunt because of the antler motif, but I'm pretty convinced it isn't that.

And yes, I can't wait either. This is starting to get interesting, especially now that the "crown" is glowing (and the grin on the girl's face isn't helping...).
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

3. - Top - End - #843

Remember when Agatha first met the old clergyman in the Red Cathedral he made specific reference to unholy rites to keep unspeakable evils at bay. I think this arc is about that.

4. - Top - End - #844
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Remember when Agatha first met the old clergyman in the Red Cathedral he made specific reference to unholy rites to keep unspeakable evils at bay. I think this arc is about that.
    Ah yes - that could get very interesting. At least some of what we saw there looked to be a little messing with the Heterodyne (1, 2) - and while Agatha saw through it pretty quickly, I suspect that given her interests the Professoressa will be a littlelot more gullible.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

5. - Top - End - #845
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

The one virtue the old Heterodynes always, unquestionably had was their loyalty to their people and town. I'm wondering if this ritual is part of that. The Heterodynes didn't care about the cost to their neighbors and various other bystanders--and their definition of "care" was maybe something that would fit better in a Godzilla movie. But, maybe this ritual is about that one virtue, not "this is what your power costs others" but "this is the responsibility that comes with your power/your people's loyalty to you."

6. - Top - End - #846
    Ettin in the Playground

Ah.

Spoiler
    Show
    So this is the day where the minions gets to upstage the master for one night, eh?

7. - Top - End - #847
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

So it is that kind of ritual.
    Let's hope the Professora's a good runner...
    Makes me wonder if Agatha knew what she was getting away from though.
    Also how many of the old Heterodynes used a stand-in for that day.
    Last edited by Kantaki; 2021-01-08 at 02:08 AM.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

8. - Top - End - #848
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    So it is that kind of ritual.
    Let's hope the Professora's a good runner...
    Makes me wonder if Agatha knew what she was getting away from though.
    I‘m confident that her plot armor is juuust heavy enough to have narrow escape.
    * my emphasis

http://dmreference.com/SRD/
    http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

Things that don't kill me make me strong
    Things that do kill me leave me dead

9. - Top - End - #849
    Firbolg in the Playground

You know, we probably should have wondered where the black eye came from...
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

10. - Top - End - #850

So, I was wondering earlier if she would be Heterodyne enough for whatever came next. The "little girl" either thought she was the real deal or didn't care. But in practical terms, I'm starting to think it might actually matter.

The Jagers were informed that this was a stand-in - which makes sense, as they would have worked it out anyway in seconds. They know their Mistress.

Has anyone else been let in on it?
    I'm pretty much the opposite of concise. If I fail to get to the point, please ask me and I'm happy to (attempt to) clarify.

11. - Top - End - #851
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by memnarch View Post
    I was wondering about that, but I wasn't sure it wasn't some kind of preexisting condition. I'm wondering if the mob is being controlled by something as everyone has glowy eyes. Or is that just an effect?
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

12. - Top - End - #852
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I, too, wonder if the glowing eyes mean something.
    And Oggie said that the Heterodyne "walked home alone".
    It may be that this ritual is a symbolic cleansing of some sort.

1) Castle shuts down.
    2) Jagers get drunk and go home. They actually don't know what is happening out there.
    3) Heterodyne is left to face the mob alone, and must fight or run - and a stand-in doesn't have the power to fight. So ... "Run!".
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

13. - Top - End - #853
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Really, not many characters we have seen could fight that many people. And all of them would be super human on some level. It just occurred to me that the "crown" is the trigger for this.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

14. - Top - End - #854
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    Really, not many characters we have seen could fight that many people. And all of them would be super human on some level. It just occurred to me that the "crown" is the trigger for this.
    Probably. Would make sense, with the antlers.
    Sure, they are a king's crown, but a hunted king's.
    Like a deer.

Which... Well, in retrospect the Professora will probably kick herself, considering how obvious the symbolism is.

15. - Top - End - #855

You're talking a basic Stag Cult, like in the Myth of Actaeon (someone gets named honorary ruler and hunted down and slaughtered to appease the spirits). The mythology most people learn as kids is incredibly watered down.

16. - Top - End - #856
    Colossus in the Playground

Maybe a rite of appreciation? "See what life is like without the people of mechanicsburg to be your loyal minions? How much harder it is to survive without us? We love you, but you should make sure not to take us for granted because of how much easier your life is with us to help." Having to escape a powerful mob of whatever the heck they are solo, the heterodyne realizes that yeah they CAN do it, but its so much better with help! A different sort of morality lesson. :p
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

17. - Top - End - #857
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    You may be right about the ritual, but it doesn't give that sort of vibe for me. In fact with this "game" in the offing it sounds more like a regular payment for some faustian bargain. I keep thinking Wild Hunt because of the antler motif, but I'm pretty convinced it isn't that.

And yes, I can't wait either. This is starting to get interesting, especially now that the "crown" is glowing (and the grin on the girl's face isn't helping...).
    Well, the hunt (or, at least a hunt) it is. Possibly the revels are to keep the Jagers busy.

18. - Top - End - #858
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

You're talking a basic Stag Cult, like in the Myth of Actaeon (someone gets named honorary ruler and hunted down and slaughtered to appease the spirits). The mythology most people learn as kids is incredibly watered down.
    Things you learn from Terry Pratchett books.

I mean, this probably doesn't map exactly*, but it certainly seems to be along similar lines/roots.
    Or maybe it's just the timing/symbolism, but even then it's probably used for a reason.

*The Heterodyne is unlikely to get slaughtered for one, unless they really messed up somewhere.
    Which is just Tuesday for them I guess.

19. - Top - End - #859
    Ogre in the Playground

Maybe this is like the Gil/Vole game of "Who's the bigger monster"?

"See? Tho' I walk through the Valley of Death...I shall not fear... let me show you why all fear me instead!"
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett

20. - Top - End - #860
    Ogre in the Playground

My guess is that these are the "ghosts" of past people of mechanicsburg who rise up once a year and go after whoever wears the crown

However i'm also thinking that they are not real ghosts and that this is all the result of some long forgotten Heterodyne experiment, that later heterodyne's just turned into a yearly survival game/ritual... Oh and Agatha is currently in the process of turning it off, which is why she's missing the festivities.
    Last edited by slayerx; 2021-01-08 at 01:22 PM.

21. - Top - End - #861

Nah, she went off to deal with some random monster turned loose by a non-Heterodyne Spark. Otherwise known as skipping out on her responsibilities.

22. - Top - End - #862

Nah, she went off to deal with some random monster turned loose by a non-Heterodyne Spark. Otherwise known as skipping out on her responsibilities.
    Wasn't it a monster of one of the old Heterodynes in the first place? Judging by her reaction to the Beast, I'm guessing Agatha might feel like that's also her responsibility.
    I'm pretty much the opposite of concise. If I fail to get to the point, please ask me and I'm happy to (attempt to) clarify.

23. - Top - End - #863
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by theangelJean View Post
    Wasn't it a monster of one of the old Heterodynes in the first place? Judging by her reaction to the Beast, I'm guessing Agatha might feel like that's also her responsibility.
    Hephaistos Heterodyne.
    Last edited by Kantaki; 2021-01-08 at 08:30 PM.

24. - Top - End - #864
    Barbarian in the Playground

Good thing she got new boots with the patented 'flee in comfort' soles.

25. - Top - End - #865
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Interesting how much her hair color changes through the strips of this story. Blond to reddish to brown.

26. - Top - End - #866

Quote Originally Posted by Thales View Post
    Interesting how much her hair color changes through the strips of this story. Blond to reddish to brown.
    I actually think that's lighting effects. There's a lot of shine there (which is probably partly translucency too). My husband's hair is kind of like that.

Although oddly enough, in the very first page of the webcomic, if that's the Professora behind the Professor? The base colour of her hair there is reddish, like Agatha's.

27. - Top - End - #867

Quote Originally Posted by wingnutx View Post
    Good thing she got new boots with the patented 'flee in comfort' soles.
    She's not wearing them, sadly. You can see her feet when she's leading the parade.

28. - Top - End - #868
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by memnarch View Post
    In retrospect yes, yes we should.
    Many thanks to Assassin 89 for this avatar!

29. - Top - End - #869
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

New comic

Oh. The Castle is helping her.
    She's doomed.

30. - Top - End - #870

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    New comic

Oh. The Castle is helping her.
    She's doomed.
    nah, she’s too much fun.
    * my emphasis

http://dmreference.com/SRD/
    http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

Things that don't kill me make me strong
    Things that do kill me leave me dead