New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 34 of 49 FirstFirst ... 9242526272829303132333435363738394041424344 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 1459
  1. - Top - End - #991
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Girl Genius XXVIII: Dancink! Ve is here for de dancink!

Marrying someone from Mechanicsburg probably takes a certain kind of mindset to happen, so I'm not that surprised.

I'm guessing that Plumm is going to join in as yet another group in the chase, and we'll end this side story with Agatha showing up and winning by making the "capture" as an attempt to rescue her from the townsfolk.
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

2. - Top - End - #992
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TeChameleon View Post
    ... Huh.

Another aside from my archive diving; the backup story in the second TPB, "Trelawney Thorpe and the Crown of the Sleeping King".

It's apparently canon, given that the crown appears here, but... how does King Arthur exist in the GG Universe? We know Albia has been around since before Rome, which is well before Arthur's time (the earliest dates for Arthur are around the fall of the Roman Empire, more than a millennium after any time that could conceivably be called 'before Rome').

It'd be... kind of interesting to hear about Ablia's interactions with Merlin, and to know just how long she's been Queen of England for, given that she's been a Second-Stage Spark for a bare minimum of 7000 years.
    Rome apparently existed in the GG universe though, it's been referenced, somewhat ironically by Lady Astarte at the Queen's Henge even. Arthur could be one of Albia's clearly numerous consorts, of Roman origin, who defended Britain as her champion against some sort of outside threat - meaning probably Lucrezia - in the appropriate timeframe. If this Arthur actually married Albia, and why not, then he could justifiably claim to be king, even if the title has no power.

Or, because the British Isles appear to be more like an archipelago in GG, it's possible the GG version of Arthur ruled a different part of Britain (perhaps Cornwall, in the west) entirely separate from territories claimed by Albia.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

3. - Top - End - #993
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by memnarch View Post
    Marrying someone from Mechanicsburg probably takes a certain kind of mindset to happen, so I'm not that surprised.

I'm guessing that Plumm is going to join in as yet another group in the chase, and we'll end this side story with Agatha showing up and winning by making the "capture" as an attempt to rescue her from the townsfolk.
    Think of it like the Addams Family. 99% of people are freaked out and disturbed, but every now and then they find someone who fits right in with the extended family. Like that woman who married cousin It in the first one. They had a beautiful little furball next movie iirc.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

4. - Top - End - #994
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mechalich View Post
    Rome apparently existed in the GG universe though, it's been referenced, somewhat ironically by Lady Astarte at the Queen's Henge even. Arthur could be one of Albia's clearly numerous consorts, of Roman origin, who defended Britain as her champion against some sort of outside threat - meaning probably Lucrezia - in the appropriate timeframe. If this Arthur actually married Albia, and why not, then he could justifiably claim to be king, even if the title has no power.

Or, because the British Isles appear to be more like an archipelago in GG, it's possible the GG version of Arthur ruled a different part of Britain (perhaps Cornwall, in the west) entirely separate from territories claimed by Albia.
    Or she was the Lady of the Lake and moved to take power overtly only recently.

Or she went by "Merlin" back then.
    Many thanks to Assassin 89 for this avatar!

5. - Top - End - #995

SamuraiGuy

Given the references to Queens and magic mirrors, I think Albia has been reigning as a Queen for a long time. Now, for Arthurian purposes, maybe she went by Morgana de Fey back then, and Merlin was an enemy Spark she had to defeat, while Arthur was an interesting boy toy. And over the centuries the tale shifted as a form of passive resistance to the unimaginably powerful God-like Spark Queen.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

6. - Top - End - #996
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Well, it's nice to see the Professoressa getting into the swing of things.

Oh, and it's the Mechanicsberg Ministery of Merriment. We all know what that means*...

* Fans of Yes Minister, or at least people who couldn't avoid it, will remember the adge that ministries are named for the opposite of their function - the Ministry of Employment, for example, dealt with the unemployed. Came from 1984, I think
    Last edited by Manga Shoggoth; 2021-01-22 at 11:14 AM.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

7. - Top - End - #997
    Barbarian in the Playground

This is not as good of an idea as she had imagined it would be.

8. - Top - End - #998
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    Given the references to Queens and magic mirrors, I think Albia has been reigning as a Queen for a long time. Now, for Arthurian purposes, maybe she went by Morgana de Fey back then, and Merlin was an enemy Spark she had to defeat, while Arthur was an interesting boy toy. And over the centuries the tale shifted as a form of passive resistance to the unimaginably powerful God-like Spark Queen.
    We actually have "seen" King Arthur in "Trelawney Thorpe- Spark Of The Realm: Crown Of The Sleeping King". Merlin is also mentioned.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

9. - Top - End - #999
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    We actually have "seen" King Arthur in "Trelawney Thorpe- Spark Of The Realm: Crown Of The Sleeping King". Merlin is also mentioned.
    He seemed a pretty decent fellow. I do not think he would have been at odds with Albia, unless she was up to no good.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

10. - Top - End - #1000
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by wingnutx View Post
    This is not as good of an idea as she had imagined it would be.
    What do you mean? This is the best first-hand experience of a local festival she will ever get.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    The British conquered the world in search of spices and then decided to use none of them.

11. - Top - End - #1001
    Barbarian in the Playground

I mean confronting Plumm.

He's going to help the hell out of her.

12. - Top - End - #1002

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by wingnutx View Post
    I mean confronting Plumm.

He's going to help the hell out of her.
    He'll be as helpful as Der Kestle.
    The British conquered the world in search of spices and then decided to use none of them.

13. - Top - End - #1003

And yet, he's the person with the information that we want: What are they going to do with her if they catch her?
    I'm pretty much the opposite of concise. If I fail to get to the point, please ask me and I'm happy to (attempt to) clarify.

14. - Top - End - #1004

Having the information and sharing it are two very different things.

15. - Top - End - #1005

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Having the information and sharing it are two very different things.
    Would a Heterodyne minion lie? I now require a fainting couch. But yes, stopping and talking to the person who got you into this mess, on purpose, may not be as productive a use of her time as she might desire.

I'm sure the Castle wants to see the ceremony; therefore, the Castle will ensure she is caught. She just needs to stop and negotiate who will catch her.

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.

16. - Top - End - #1006
    Titan in the Playground

Would a Heterodyne minion lie? I now require a fainting couch. But yes, stopping and talking to the person who got you into this mess, on purpose, may not be as productive a use of her time as she might desire.
    I'm sure getting the mob to stampede all over his office counts as a win.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

17. - Top - End - #1007

Of course, if the mob shows up they have to deal with the Mechanicsburg Mallard Plumm's feeding numnums.

18. - Top - End - #1008

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Of course, if the mob shows up they have to deal with the Mechanicsburg Mallard Plumm's feeding numnums.
    Der Kestle might help with that, if it would want to watch a mob stampede over Plumms office.

19. - Top - End - #1009

I'm sure the Castle wants to see the ceremony; therefore, the Castle will ensure she is caught.
    That would imply that the Heterodyne, traditionally, did get captured by the crowd. Dunno if that really fits with their whole mystique.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

20. - Top - End - #1010

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    That would imply that the Heterodyne, traditionally, did get captured by the crowd. Dunno if that really fits with their whole mystique.
    "There's a nice prize for the group that catches you". Happens at least some of the time.

21. - Top - End - #1011

"There's a nice prize for the group that catches you". Happens at least some of the time.
    Er, no, it's just implied that it's possible for it to happen. The existence of a prize does not mean anyone has ever won it, or ever will win it.

And der Kestle is, as always, on the side of its own amusement (just about typoed that as 'abusement', which is oddly apropos).

22. - Top - End - #1012

SamuraiGuy

And ... we just learned that this year is non-standard. Plumm is not following the usual rules.
    And the Castle is listening. That bit with the gargoyle was creepy.

EDIT:

I very much doubt the people of Mechanicsburg would be showing this much enthusiasm for winning a prize that has never been won ... in centuries.
    Last edited by Shining Wrath; 2021-01-25 at 07:20 AM. Reason: add stuff

23. - Top - End - #1013

Beholder

And ... we just learned that this year is non-standard. Plumm is not following the usual rules.
    And the Castle is listening. That bit with the gargoyle was creepy.

EDIT:

I very much doubt the people of Mechanicsburg would be showing this much enthusiasm for winning a prize that has never been won ... in centuries.
    Its Mechanicsburg. Enthousiasm is in their blood.

24. - Top - End - #1014
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Depends. Assuming it's a monetary (or equivalent) reward and that it stays in the pot if no one wins it that might people more enthusiastic as the prize grows over the years.

Edit:
    Also, it's been how long since they did this?

Also also, Mechanicsburg.
    Last edited by Kantaki; 2021-01-25 at 08:25 AM.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

25. - Top - End - #1015

SamuraiGuy

The people of Mechanicsburg may like their Heterodynes, and be a little off in a variety of ways, but I still don't think someone would build a giant mechanical spider and assemble a rampaging mob of minions for a prize which is never won. And I think the clear implication of what the Castle said is that the prize has been awarded, although you are free to be wrong disagree.

Setting aside the issue of the prize, the big takeaway from today's strip is that Plumm is up to something. I wonder what it might be? Maybe the fact that the Castle responded to the Professora set a scheme in motion.

26. - Top - End - #1016
    Titan in the Playground

The people of Mechanicsburg may like their Heterodynes, and be a little off in a variety of ways, but I still don't think someone would build a giant mechanical spider and assemble a rampaging mob of minions for a prize which is never won. And I think the clear implication of what the Castle said is that the prize has been awarded, although you are free to be wrong disagree.

Setting aside the issue of the prize, the big takeaway from today's strip is that Plumm is up to something. I wonder what it might be? Maybe the fact that the Castle responded to the Professora set a scheme in motion.
    I'm on the side of "the prize has been won before", it doesn't mean that it's the end of the celebration maybe the Heterodyne has to face some more challenges afterwards.

I see no reason to assume the giant mechanical spider was built specifically for the solstice. Germacher is ill so that may just be the Mechanigsburg version of a wheelchair.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2021-01-25 at 09:11 AM.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

27. - Top - End - #1017

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    I'm on the side of "the prize has been won before", it doesn't mean that it's the end of the celebration maybe the Heterodyne has to face some more challenges afterwards.

I see no reason to assume the giant mechanical spider was built specifically for the solstice. Germacher is ill so that may just be the Mechanigsburg version of a wheelchair.
    I have to agree that a Sparky Mechanicsburgian would definitely not use a standard wheelchair. It would be beneath their dignity. This one does seem to have adaptations (giant pincers) for Heterodyne-catching.

28. - Top - End - #1018
    Ogre in the Playground

I have to agree that a Sparky Mechanicsburgian would definitely not use a standard wheelchair. It would be beneath their dignity. This one does seem to have adaptations (giant pincers) for Heterodyne-catching.
    Nonsense! Those pincers simply are for serving tea...large quantities of tea.
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett

29. - Top - End - #1019

Beholder

I would be more concerned when Mechanicsburg wheelchairs don't include giant pincers.

30. - Top - End - #1020
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Although I feel a wheelchair should have proper wheels. With blades. (A la Mad Hamish from Interesting Times)

Now, entertainments and "keep left"... where have I heard that before... Although the "keep left" could just be a general safety precaution in Mechanicsberg. Unless one of the Heterodynes had a "right" period.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee