New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 35 of 49 FirstFirst ... 10252627282930313233343536373839404142434445 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1459
  1. - Top - End - #1021
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Default Re: Girl Genius XXVIII: Dancink! Ve is here for de dancink!

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    And ... we just learned that this year is non-standard. Plumm is not following the usual rules.
    And the Castle is listening. That bit with the gargoyle was creepy.

EDIT:

I very much doubt the people of Mechanicsburg would be showing this much enthusiasm for winning a prize that has never been won ... in centuries.
    I honestly missed the bit with the gargoyle until you mentioned it. Plumm is up to something for sure. BUT Der Kastel is Up. To. Something. more than just having fun. It is clearly trying to help the Professora and keep it's involvement quiet. That means she's important in some way.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

2. - Top - End - #1022

Error! Assumption that Der Kessel has motivation beyond "Dance Minions Dance!" levels of entertainment.

3. - Top - End - #1023
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Error! Assumption that Der Kessel has motivation beyond "Dance Minions Dance!" levels of entertainment.
    I suspect the Castle, being ancient and bored, is definitely in the DMD mood. But it's also a colossal intellect that has had a decade, minimum, to plan what it would do with the opportunity. There will likely be complexities beyond "Aren't they cute when they run into each other?"

And Plumm is up to something, and the Castle knows, and isn't putting a stop to it - yet. Is that because the Castle approves, or disapproves but thinks giving him time to really hang himself is more amusing, or just finds the plotting of ephemeral carbon based lifeforms who aren't Heterodynes to be of no great consequence?

Further, Plumm knows the Castle was awake and talking. But evidently he doesn't know it's still awake. I wonder what his reaction would be if he realized he's being watched? Probably sheer terror and futile attempts to flee.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

4. - Top - End - #1024
    Troll in the Playground

I suspect the Castle, being ancient and bored, is definitely in the DMD mood. But it's also a colossal intellect that has had a decade, minimum, to plan what it would do with the opportunity. There will likely be complexities beyond "Aren't they cute when they run into each other?"

And Plumm is up to something, and the Castle knows, and isn't putting a stop to it - yet. Is that because the Castle approves, or disapproves but thinks giving him time to really hang himself is more amusing, or just finds the plotting of ephemeral carbon based lifeforms who aren't Heterodynes to be of no great consequence?

Further, Plumm knows the Castle was awake and talking. But evidently he doesn't know it's still awake. I wonder what his reaction would be if he realized he's being watched? Probably sheer terror and futile attempts to flee.
    We've got chicanery afoot, and a Greenclaw involved. Is it possible the plot to kill Agatha that Ivo stumbled onto is still ongoing? If they think der Kestle is shut down, this might be the only time the plotters believe they can move without dying immediately. Of course Agatha's not there, but if their plan is based on activating one of those arcane, obscure, but incredibly powerful sub-routines which Mechanicsburg seems full of, a substitute might do...

5. - Top - End - #1025
    Bugbear in the Playground

Nope, the plot that Hadrian Greenclaw stumbled onto (and that Ivo Sharktooth heard about secondhand) got shut down with extreme prejudice, mostly via everyone involved dying and their organizations being taken over by one who was loyal to The Lady. While it's remotely possible that some were missed in the housecleaning, Hadrian struck me as the thorough type.

... although I suppose it's possible that this happened earlier, chronologically speaking, than Ivo's story, since it's specified that this is the Lady's first Solstice back in Mechanicsburg.

6. - Top - End - #1026

SamuraiGuy

I don't know where this tale is relative to Ivo's chronologically, but given the lifespan of Jagers, he's likely in Mechanicsburg either way. As a Jager, he's probably getting very drunk right now. But as a Jager, that doesn't stop him from functioning if need arises. We may see a crossover guest-star appearance! Ivo will appear and save the Professora from Plumm's evil machinations.

Assuming Plumm's machinations are evil and not merely mischievous or eccentric. Mechanicsburg does have a very large eccentricity.

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.

7. - Top - End - #1027

Assuming Plumm's machinations are evil and not merely mischievous or eccentric. Mechanicsburg does have a very large eccentricity.
    I'm leaning towards the second (if even that). I'm prepared to be proved wrong, but I truly believe his only machinations here is to throw the best Solstice party here can.

When we first meet him here, he seems legitimately upset that the celebrations will need to be changed due to the Heterodyne not being present, and if his plan was to perpetuate some evil on Agatha then there is no benefit to letting the Professora stand in as his plot will go off on her and thus his malice will be fully available when Agatha gets back from monster hunting. And he seems quite willing to help the Professora (assuming his "escape tunnel" is not some horrible doom trap).

Der Kestle not wanting Plumm to know it is awake is perfectly understandable, since it is supposed to be asleep and it wouldn't do for the minions to know they are being messed with here.

As for the imminent conversation with Herr Gearmarcher here, I think that's just a case of Gearmarcher being smart enough to realize that this is not the real Heterodyne and/or not a usual chase and wanting to know what is up.
    Last edited by Ailurus; 2021-01-26 at 09:13 AM.

8. - Top - End - #1028

Doyleistically, we're about due for an info drop.

9. - Top - End - #1029

I don't know where this tale is relative to Ivo's chronologically, but given the lifespan of Jagers, he's likely in Mechanicsburg either way. As a Jager, he's probably getting very drunk right now. But as a Jager, that doesn't stop him from functioning if need arises. We may see a crossover guest-star appearance! Ivo will appear and save the Professora from Plumm's evil machinations.

He's already appeared in the story. He can be glimpsed watching the parade rather than participating in it.

10. - Top - End - #1030

And I think the clear implication of what the Castle said is that the prize has been awarded, although you are free to be wrong disagree.
    Hang on, the Castle was the one that told her about the prize? Wasn't this its first solstice? I thought it normally doesn't even get to watch?
    I'm pretty much the opposite of concise. If I fail to get to the point, please ask me and I'm happy to (attempt to) clarify.

11. - Top - End - #1031

Doesn't say it can't listen in on everybody talking about it the other 364 days of the year. Like Johnny Carson back when we were kids.

12. - Top - End - #1032
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

New comic

Really? Really?
    You underestimate Agatha like that?

Also, I wonder how many other groups are „cheating“.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

13. - Top - End - #1033

In Mechanicsburg? Everybody. Including the stray dogs and alley cats.

14. - Top - End - #1034

Beholder

In Mechanicsburg? Everybody. Including the stray dogs and alley cats.
    Including even the alleys.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    The British conquered the world in search of spices and then decided to use none of them.

15. - Top - End - #1035
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PraetorDragoon View Post
    Including even the alleys.
    The alleys are part of The Castle, so this one should be the most obvious.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

16. - Top - End - #1036
    Troll in the Playground

Ah, I am glad to see I was wrong. Hopefully.

With der Kestle hearing this, I fear Plumm may not be long for his position. Or the world.

17. - Top - End - #1037
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    Ah, I am glad to see I was wrong. Hopefully.

With der Kestle hearing this, I fear Plumm may not be long for his position. Or the world.
    Well it still depends on what the end goal is of catching the heterodyne. It could be as simple as trying to catch a greased pig. The goal is catching it, not doing anything with it afterwards. There might be some bumps and bruises when all is said and done but nobody honestly is trying to hurt each other. Obviously a heterodyne needs a bit more effort than running after her with arms outstretched hence we got wheelchair clanks and such.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

18. - Top - End - #1038

SamuraiGuy

So ... the population thinks the Professora is Agatha. And Plumm planted a tracking device, and was going to do so to Agatha if she'd made it.
    There's no way Plumm plants a tracking device on a real Heterodyne if being caught is not part of the "fun". It's the difference between cheating at cards and assassination of a queen. Being caught doing the former may ruin your reputation, but being caught doing the latter results in the Castle going all Castle-y on you.
    Agoston also seems to think that catching the Heterodyne results in a prize, not in bloody murder.

I think we can take the straightforward reading of the Solstice as settled; the Heterodyne runs, the townfolk chase, eventually the Heterodyne is caught, a prize is awarded, and some sort of ceremony ensues. This year Plumm tried to cheat because he was bribed to do so by Grandmamma. And the Castle is also cheating, but no one knows it, and no one is likely to find out.

And yes, it's Mechanicsburg. The question is not if people cheat, it's how clever they are at doing so.

EDIT:

What will Grandmamma / the townfolk do when they discover La Professora is not Agatha?
    Last edited by Shining Wrath; 2021-01-27 at 08:43 AM.

19. - Top - End - #1039

Hopefully they'll have had enough fun they won't care. Beyond inviting her back for next year.

If they something stupid, well, she is married to Jaeger-kin. I doubt the Jaegers will be happy about that. Der Kessel will, as it's basically a stone Xykon.

20. - Top - End - #1040

Beholder

What will Grandmamma / the townfolk do when they discover La Professora is not Agatha?
    La Professora had a good rant and is a good runner. The townsfolk will be a bit dissapointed she isn't the actual Heterodyne, but I doubt they'll let that ruin a good proper solstice!
    The British conquered the world in search of spices and then decided to use none of them.

21. - Top - End - #1041
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Learning that the Revelmeister accepted a bribe puts a whole new spin on him being super nervous about not being able to provide a "Proper Solstice".
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

22. - Top - End - #1042

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    Learning that the Revelmeister accepted a bribe puts a whole new spin on him being super nervous about not being able to provide a "Proper Solstice".
    Especially considering that said bribe came from Mechanicsburg's pre-eminent crime family.

23. - Top - End - #1043

That money did not come from the Heterodynes.

24. - Top - End - #1044

Beholder

Heterodynes don't do crimes. They do science.

25. - Top - End - #1045

Heterodynes don't do crimes. They do science.
    Well, aside from the 'crimes against nature' sort, anyways.

26. - Top - End - #1046

AssassinGuy

They do Science!
    Fixed it for you
    Last edited by Agi Hammerthief; 2021-01-28 at 05:20 AM.
    * my emphasis

http://dmreference.com/SRD/
    http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

Things that don't kill me make me strong
    Things that do kill me leave me dead

27. - Top - End - #1047

SamuraiGuy

It is not wisdom that makes a law, but authority.
    Civ 6
    Hence, the Heterodynes do not commit crimes in Mechanicsburg, and anyone who says they do, dies painfully. It's a law.
    Knowing that Grandmamma is terminally ill does make me sympathetic to her, especially because she thinks she's chasing The Heterodyne so enthusiastically.

I wonder if things will come to a head, lynching will be imminent forestalled by Der Kestle threatening genocidal reprisal, and then Agatha will appear and Heterodyne Ex Machina us to a happy ending.

28. - Top - End - #1048
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by SZbNAhL View Post
    Especially considering that said bribe came from Mechanicsburg's pre-eminent crime family.
    Technically, none of their usual business is illegal in Mechanicsberg...
    Last edited by Manga Shoggoth; 2021-01-28 at 11:15 AM.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

29. - Top - End - #1049
    Ettin in the Playground

In some ways, given their level of competence so far, I'd say them not chasing Agatha is a good thing. The Heterodyne herself might not take kindly to be the object of some sort of weird game of It, and it's quite probably she'd fry some of them permanently before the gig is up. I don't believe they mean her harm, of course. It IS a seasonal side story after all, but if Agatha was in the dark, she would be forgiven to think this was some sort of attack on her and react accordingly.
    Last edited by Grif; 2021-01-28 at 11:35 AM.

30. - Top - End - #1050

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    In some ways, given their level of competence so far, I'd say them not chasing Agatha is a good thing. The Heterodyne herself might not take kindly to be the object of some sort of weird game of It, and it's quite probably she'd fry some of them permanently before the gig is up. I don't believe they mean her harm, of course. It IS a seasonal side story after all, but if Agatha was in the dark, she would be forgiven to think this was some sort of attack on her and react accordingly.
    Fair point. Agatha is more likely to break out the laser guns when chased.