New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 49 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Girl Genius XXVIII: Dancink! Ve is here for de dancink!

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    My point is that Seffie should not consider herself in any way immune.
    Seffie already has played high-stakes games over Martellus's hide. https://www.girlgeniusonline.com/com...?date=20130930
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

2. - Top - End - #182

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Look, Martellus can't betray Team Agatha unless he's inside. This is not a twist, it's a rerun of Curse Your Sudden Yet Inevitable Betrayal.
    Yup, called it. And now it looks like we know the method he'll use.

Then again, Krosp and Da Bearz are too powerful an ally for Agatha to have and realistically struggle, so they do need to be stripped away for narrative reasons.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Colossus in the Playground

Yeah seffie is under no particular illusions about martellus. Im sure she is well aware that if she ever moved against him he would target her with little regret. Thats how their entire family is. She would do the exact same thing to him. At most you have 1 or 2 people you can really rely on, the rest are pawns in the game of power. This family is very much so NOT NICE. Even their granny treats the endless slaughter and backstabbery of her kids, grandkids and great grandkids as normal business.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

4. - Top - End - #184
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    Seffie already has played high-stakes games over Martellus's hide. https://www.girlgeniusonline.com/com...?date=20130930
    Not as much as you might think. She knows Gil very well and that he wouldn't kill Tweedle unless Tweedle forced him to.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

5. - Top - End - #185

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Yeah seffie is under no particular illusions about martellus. Im sure she is well aware that if she ever moved against him he would target her with little regret. Thats how their entire family is. She would do the exact same thing to him. At most you have 1 or 2 people you can really rely on, the rest are pawns in the game of power. This family is very much so NOT NICE. Even their granny treats the endless slaughter and backstabbery of her kids, grandkids and great grandkids as normal business.
    Granny is perhaps the most evil of the lot. It's not that she doesn't care, it's that she raised them that way.

Yup, called it. And now it looks like we know the method he'll use.

Then again, Krosp and Da Bearz are too powerful an ally for Agatha to have and realistically struggle, so they do need to be stripped away for narrative reasons.
    Krosp is fun but not powerful in combat. He's a good spy, though. Da Bearz, OTOH, do have to be left behind somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    Not as much as you might think. She knows Gil very well and that he wouldn't kill Tweedle unless Tweedle forced him to.
    No, but he might very well have turned Tweedle over to his father for ... "examination".
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

6. - Top - End - #186

Or Klaus could have just taken over and brought Martellus to his brain coring lab. Like mentor, like student.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by geoduck View Post
    Getting back to the actual comic, prepare to meet

Spoiler
    Show
    Mrs. Krosp.
    That's my guess as well.

8. - Top - End - #188

Or Klaus could have just taken over and brought Martellus to his brain coring lab. Like mentor, like student.
    "Must... drill... holes..."
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

9. - Top - End - #189
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    I'm not so sure about that. I mean he does order Bang to kill him knowing full well she is not the type to hesitate. And then attempts to do himself.

And while Gil isn't exactly himself at that moment as a result of his father's overlay, Seffie has no way of knowing that.

10. - Top - End - #190

Martellus's attitude also makes it more dangerous. He doesn't want to leave until he has killed Gil, and he has to be carried away by force by the flying clank. But Gil was never going to show up without the equivalent of an army, as he is the current baron.

11. - Top - End - #191

Quote Originally Posted by xroads View Post
    I'm not so sure about that. I mean he does order Bang to kill him knowing full well she is not the type to hesitate. And then attempts to do himself.

And while Gil isn't exactly himself at that moment as a result of his father's overlay, Seffie has no way of knowing that.
    Also suffering from three days without sleep constantly in the madness place.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

12. - Top - End - #192

SamuraiGuy

Martellus is alive only because he's useful, and he'll remain alive for exactly that long. I don't know if Agatha would kill him outright, but Tarvek and Gil can each claim pre-emptive self defense, as it were, plus revenge for Tweedle's prior attempts to kill each of them.

And given that Albia has some sort of mind-reading ability, I would imagine that she'll end Martellus quite casually as a bad person who intends to do bad things.

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.

13. - Top - End - #193

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    And given that Albia has some sort of mind-reading ability, I would imagine that she'll end Martellus quite casually as a bad person who intends to do bad things.
    Assuming that she's against doing bad things...

14. - Top - End - #194

Given how she reacted to Vapnoople, yeah, she doesn't like bad things.

15. - Top - End - #195

Bad things vs things that are bad for her kingdom. What I mean is that, if she had a use for Martellus, she may keep him or even unleash him. Wooster explicitly said that destabilising a rival was good for England.

EDIT: You mean drilling holes into people heads? Yes, she really didn't like that. Could she have a personal advantage from not letting other sparks know the secrets of the brain? Mayyyyybe. But I could be reading too much. Gil seemed to consider her a terrible tyrant when he was in Mechanicsburg, but that characterisation might be gone, or she simply may have got too agreeable or likable to keep it going. I personally hope it surfaces again.
    Last edited by Vinyadan; 2020-10-09 at 08:29 PM.

16. - Top - End - #196

For the list of thread titles (in 40 pages): "The Promised Hat Rack
    Or "Still Working on the Harmonics"
    Or "Teach it some Manners"

Okay, so none of them are super great, but we do have 20 years of GG to draw from.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Noted. By that time Bang may well have her promised hat rach.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ogre in the Playground

I was guessing that Martellous' creation is his version of Agatha's King's Touch Waspeater, but Krosp Mk II probably works as well. Or both, Spark Efficiency, two birds with one cat and all that.
    you know that I'm more than just a doll do you?-Geno
    Add me on Steam!
    Spoiler
    Show
    by Thecrimsonmage and By Shades of Gray by Akrim.elf

and current made by me.

19. - Top - End - #199

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Geno9999 View Post
    I was guessing that Martellous' creation is his version of Agatha's King's Touch Waspeater, but Krosp Mk II probably works as well. Or both, Spark Efficiency, two birds with one cat and all that.
    he‘d have better designed a dog for that job.
    * my emphasis

http://dmreference.com/SRD/
    http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

Things that don't kill me make me strong
    Things that do kill me leave me dead

20. - Top - End - #200
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Wow, Martellus is evil. I don't mean because he may be plotting to kill Tarvek. I mean because he wants his sister to teach a cat manners.

Fiendish, I tell you, truly fiendish.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

I'm saying this with low confidence, because the Folgios really like to accumulate more and more characters, but I feel like they might be setting up Martellus's death (or unpleasant and indefinite sidelining) here. He's going with the heroes into a dangerous place from which there's a limited number of ways out, and he's implied to be scheming to kill Tarvek, which is a dangerous hobby, even when Tarvek isn't standing next to two uber-sparks who are very protective if him. He's started the project of Krospette, but hasn't detailed all the work he's put into her, meaning that if he dies, we get a pretty big wildcard character in the Queen of the Cats. The characters he brought to focus, such as Seffie, by this point have connections to other people on the cast. I feel like the biggest loose ends to Martellus are the ones the Folgios would prefer not be tied up by his continuing presence.

As I said, the Folgios are reluctant to kill off major characters, especially after the early arcs (and in this setting, apparent death doesn't always stick), so I'd still bet that he lives. But of all the characters, he feels like he has the most omens of doom.

22. - Top - End - #202

He has to stick around for quite a while to keep the whole Storm King circus in motion. If he dies, everything neatly devolves to Tarvek and a major source of pointless conflict is removed.

23. - Top - End - #203

Beholder

Why am I more afraid of that cat than of Martellus?
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    The British conquered the world in search of spices and then decided to use none of them.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Titan in the Playground

So Martellus managed to re-create his master’s crowning achievement (said master being the kind of guy that makes Albia stop pulling any punches) in a few hours without any of the blueprints or examining said achievement.

That’s really impressive, actually.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

25. - Top - End - #205

You know, even if Martellus lies through this expedition, and even if his experiment with Miss Cat is successful and he no longer needs Agatha, and even if he is able to get away and start mustering his forces as the Storm King...

Odds on Miss Cat staying as close to him as necessary?

I mean, he may have replicated his Master's work (or not - he may just have made a talking cat without the leadership abilities. He's certainly not giving her copious amounts of reading material. And apparently the shiny thing is important too). But his main aim was another function entirely - for which a weasel who just looooves you is ideal - yet he chose a cat. IMHO he chose poorly.
    I'm pretty much the opposite of concise. If I fail to get to the point, please ask me and I'm happy to (attempt to) clarify.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    So Martellus managed to re-create his master’s crowning achievement (said master being the kind of guy that makes Albia stop pulling any punches) in a few hours without any of the blueprints or examining said achievement.

That’s really impressive, actually.
    On one hand, recreating something is easier than doing it from scratch as you have an example to guide you even if you could not study it in details. On the other hand, we do not know, if he truly recreated Krosp's whole set of abilities. The cat lady can talk, but we do not know if she has the same high intelligence as Krosp or will be able to attain it through experience. All the more reasons to doubt that she has the ability to command the bears. At the end of the day she might be no better then the spark wolves, but I do think Martellus planned something special with her. If anything, he might plan to control Krosp indirectly in the oldest way known.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

27. - Top - End - #207

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    On one hand, recreating something is easier than doing it from scratch as you have an example to guide you even if you could not study it in details. On the other hand, we do not know, if he truly recreated Krosp's whole set of abilities. The cat lady can talk, but we do not know if she has the same high intelligence as Krosp or will be able to attain it through experience. All the more reasons to doubt that she has the ability to command the bears. At the end of the day she might be no better then the spark wolves, but I do think Martellus planned something special with her. If anything, he might plan to control Krosp indirectly in the oldest way known.
    The thing is, its not about commanding bears, krosp was designed to command CATS. He was given command of the bears afterwards by vapnoodle as a backup for himself iirc. And even then its less about krsp and more about "the shiny thing." As for crowning achievement, while technically it worked, commanding cats is a failure because cats are stupid and cant remember or obey orders more than a minute after getting them so overall it was a failure. No, this cat isnt so much meant to be queen of cats as it is to be martellus's weasel. Its there to break his dependence on agatha so he wont be forced into a subservient position to her. For some reason he had to make it a cat as its "what was available" rather than one of his normal sparkhounds which would have been a way better idea for all sorts of reasons.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    The thing is, its not about commanding bears, krosp was designed to command CATS. He was given command of the bears afterwards by vapnoodle as a backup for himself iirc. And even then its less about krsp and more about "the shiny thing." As for crowning achievement, while technically it worked, commanding cats is a failure because cats are stupid and cant remember or obey orders more than a minute after getting them so overall it was a failure. No, this cat isnt so much meant to be queen of cats as it is to be martellus's weasel. Its there to break his dependence on agatha so he wont be forced into a subservient position to her. For some reason he had to make it a cat as its "what was available" rather than one of his normal sparkhounds which would have been a way better idea for all sorts of reasons.
    I think the whole "king of the cats" was a smoke screen actually as the bears were Vapnoople's last secret that he actually was able to keep from the Baron. Krosp would be in severe danger, if he was not considered a failure. Besides, bears recognised Krosp as the leader regardless of the shiny trinket (reference). It also is important here, that Krosp was created while Vapnoople was already Baron's prisoner. All the more reasons to obfuscate the true purpose and range of abilities.

I do agree that the lady cat does not have to be anything more than Agatha's weasel. It is still something worth keeping secret.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

29. - Top - End - #209

Something I noticed in this page: https://www.girlgeniusonline.com/com...?date=20150318

Non est frigidus. I just understood that it's a literal translation of "it's not cool" in Latin.

30. - Top - End - #210

SamuraiGuy

Krosp may have been Vapnoodle's final achievement, but that is not the same as crowning. He created Krosp while already a prisoner, so probably had access to fewer materials, fewer animals, less time, and so on. And Krosp told Agatha early on that he was considered a failure and was lucky to not be destroyed.

It remains to be seen whether or not the femKrosp is as smart and useful as Krosp is, or just becomes a way to not need Agatha's touch.

The fact that the femKrosp means Martellus does not need Agatha to my mind means that Martellus is going to leave Agatha's party after this next arc and return to his evil ways of total evil behavior.

Seffie really likes cats. The cat will probably wind up with more allegiance to Seffie than to Martellus, which is another indication that for a uber-Spark Tweedle is pretty dumb.