Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 210 of 1473
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Vinyadan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVIII: Dancink! Ve is here for de dancink!

    Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    My point is that Seffie should not consider herself in any way immune.
    Seffie already has played high-stakes games over Martellus's hide. https://www.girlgeniusonline.com/com...?date=20130930
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful ó but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

  2. - Top - End - #182

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVIII: Dancink! Ve is here for de dancink!

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Look, Martellus can't betray Team Agatha unless he's inside. This is not a twist, it's a rerun of Curse Your Sudden Yet Inevitable Betrayal.
    Yup, called it. And now it looks like we know the method he'll use.

    Then again, Krosp and Da Bearz are too powerful an ally for Agatha to have and realistically struggle, so they do need to be stripped away for narrative reasons.

  3. - Top - End - #183
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    right behind you

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVIII: Dancink! Ve is here for de dancink!

    Yeah seffie is under no particular illusions about martellus. Im sure she is well aware that if she ever moved against him he would target her with little regret. Thats how their entire family is. She would do the exact same thing to him. At most you have 1 or 2 people you can really rely on, the rest are pawns in the game of power. This family is very much so NOT NICE. Even their granny treats the endless slaughter and backstabbery of her kids, grandkids and great grandkids as normal business.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

  4. - Top - End - #184
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Zombie

    Join Date
    Jan 2009

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVIII: Dancink! Ve is here for de dancink!

    Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    Seffie already has played high-stakes games over Martellus's hide. https://www.girlgeniusonline.com/com...?date=20130930
    Not as much as you might think. She knows Gil very well and that he wouldn't kill Tweedle unless Tweedle forced him to.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

  5. - Top - End - #185
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    SamuraiGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Colorado
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVIII: Dancink! Ve is here for de dancink!

    Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Yeah seffie is under no particular illusions about martellus. Im sure she is well aware that if she ever moved against him he would target her with little regret. Thats how their entire family is. She would do the exact same thing to him. At most you have 1 or 2 people you can really rely on, the rest are pawns in the game of power. This family is very much so NOT NICE. Even their granny treats the endless slaughter and backstabbery of her kids, grandkids and great grandkids as normal business.
    Granny is perhaps the most evil of the lot. It's not that she doesn't care, it's that she raised them that way.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Yup, called it. And now it looks like we know the method he'll use.

    Then again, Krosp and Da Bearz are too powerful an ally for Agatha to have and realistically struggle, so they do need to be stripped away for narrative reasons.
    Krosp is fun but not powerful in combat. He's a good spy, though. Da Bearz, OTOH, do have to be left behind somehow.

    Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    Not as much as you might think. She knows Gil very well and that he wouldn't kill Tweedle unless Tweedle forced him to.
    No, but he might very well have turned Tweedle over to his father for ... "examination".
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

    "It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

    According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

    I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

  6. - Top - End - #186

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVIII: Dancink! Ve is here for de dancink!

    Or Klaus could have just taken over and brought Martellus to his brain coring lab. Like mentor, like student.

  7. - Top - End - #187
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2012

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVIII: Dancink! Ve is here for de dancink!

    Quote Originally Posted by geoduck View Post
    Getting back to the actual comic, prepare to meet

    Spoiler
    Show
    Mrs. Krosp.
    That's my guess as well.

  8. - Top - End - #188
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Vinyadan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVIII: Dancink! Ve is here for de dancink!

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Or Klaus could have just taken over and brought Martellus to his brain coring lab. Like mentor, like student.
    "Must... drill... holes..."
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful ó but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

  9. - Top - End - #189
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Beholder

    Join Date
    Mar 2009

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVIII: Dancink! Ve is here for de dancink!

    Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    Not as much as you might think. She knows Gil very well and that he wouldn't kill Tweedle unless Tweedle forced him to.
    I'm not so sure about that. I mean he does order Bang to kill him knowing full well she is not the type to hesitate. And then attempts to do himself.

    And while Gil isn't exactly himself at that moment as a result of his father's overlay, Seffie has no way of knowing that.

  10. - Top - End - #190
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Vinyadan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVIII: Dancink! Ve is here for de dancink!

    Martellus's attitude also makes it more dangerous. He doesn't want to leave until he has killed Gil, and he has to be carried away by force by the flying clank. But Gil was never going to show up without the equivalent of an army, as he is the current baron.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful ó but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

  11. - Top - End - #191
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    right behind you

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVIII: Dancink! Ve is here for de dancink!

    Quote Originally Posted by xroads View Post
    I'm not so sure about that. I mean he does order Bang to kill him knowing full well she is not the type to hesitate. And then attempts to do himself.

    And while Gil isn't exactly himself at that moment as a result of his father's overlay, Seffie has no way of knowing that.
    Also suffering from three days without sleep constantly in the madness place.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

  12. - Top - End - #192
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    SamuraiGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Colorado
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVIII: Dancink! Ve is here for de dancink!

    Martellus is alive only because he's useful, and he'll remain alive for exactly that long. I don't know if Agatha would kill him outright, but Tarvek and Gil can each claim pre-emptive self defense, as it were, plus revenge for Tweedle's prior attempts to kill each of them.

    And given that Albia has some sort of mind-reading ability, I would imagine that she'll end Martellus quite casually as a bad person who intends to do bad things.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

    "It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

    According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

    I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

  13. - Top - End - #193
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Vinyadan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVIII: Dancink! Ve is here for de dancink!

    Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    And given that Albia has some sort of mind-reading ability, I would imagine that she'll end Martellus quite casually as a bad person who intends to do bad things.
    Assuming that she's against doing bad things...
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful ó but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

  14. - Top - End - #194

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVIII: Dancink! Ve is here for de dancink!

    Given how she reacted to Vapnoople, yeah, she doesn't like bad things.

  15. - Top - End - #195
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Vinyadan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVIII: Dancink! Ve is here for de dancink!

    Bad things vs things that are bad for her kingdom. What I mean is that, if she had a use for Martellus, she may keep him or even unleash him. Wooster explicitly said that destabilising a rival was good for England.

    EDIT: You mean drilling holes into people heads? Yes, she really didn't like that. Could she have a personal advantage from not letting other sparks know the secrets of the brain? Mayyyyybe. But I could be reading too much. Gil seemed to consider her a terrible tyrant when he was in Mechanicsburg, but that characterisation might be gone, or she simply may have got too agreeable or likable to keep it going. I personally hope it surfaces again.
    Last edited by Vinyadan; 2020-10-09 at 08:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful ó but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

  16. - Top - End - #196
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Rockphed's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Near Giant Graffiti.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVIII: Dancink! Ve is here for de dancink!

    For the list of thread titles (in 40 pages): "The Promised Hat Rack
    Or "Still Working on the Harmonics"
    Or "Teach it some Manners"

    Okay, so none of them are super great, but we do have 20 years of GG to draw from.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

    Now offering unsolicited advice.

  17. - Top - End - #197
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Essex, England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVIII: Dancink! Ve is here for de dancink!

    Noted. By that time Bang may well have her promised hat rach.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

    "The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

    "Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

  18. - Top - End - #198
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2020

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVIII: Dancink! Ve is here for de dancink!

    As of quite recently Bang was a hat rack.

  19. - Top - End - #199
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Geno9999's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Star Road, not Star Way
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVIII: Dancink! Ve is here for de dancink!

    I was guessing that Martellous' creation is his version of Agatha's King's Touch Waspeater, but Krosp Mk II probably works as well. Or both, Spark Efficiency, two birds with one cat and all that.
    you know that I'm more than just a doll do you?-Geno
    Add me on Steam!
    Spoiler
    Show
    by Thecrimsonmage and By Shades of Gray by Akrim.elf

    and current made by me.

  20. - Top - End - #200
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Agi Hammerthief's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    see homepage
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVIII: Dancink! Ve is here for de dancink!

    Quote Originally Posted by Geno9999 View Post
    I was guessing that Martellous' creation is his version of Agatha's King's Touch Waspeater, but Krosp Mk II probably works as well. Or both, Spark Efficiency, two birds with one cat and all that.
    heĎd have better designed a dog for that job.
    * my emphasis

    http://dmreference.com/SRD/
    http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

    Things that don't kill me make me strong
    Things that do kill me leave me dead

  21. - Top - End - #201
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    BlueWizardGirl

    Join Date
    Oct 2007

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVIII: Dancink! Ve is here for de dancink!

    Wow, Martellus is evil. I don't mean because he may be plotting to kill Tarvek. I mean because he wants his sister to teach a cat manners.

    Fiendish, I tell you, truly fiendish.

  22. - Top - End - #202
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    Flumph

    Join Date
    May 2020

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVIII: Dancink! Ve is here for de dancink!

    I'm saying this with low confidence, because the Folgios really like to accumulate more and more characters, but I feel like they might be setting up Martellus's death (or unpleasant and indefinite sidelining) here. He's going with the heroes into a dangerous place from which there's a limited number of ways out, and he's implied to be scheming to kill Tarvek, which is a dangerous hobby, even when Tarvek isn't standing next to two uber-sparks who are very protective if him. He's started the project of Krospette, but hasn't detailed all the work he's put into her, meaning that if he dies, we get a pretty big wildcard character in the Queen of the Cats. The characters he brought to focus, such as Seffie, by this point have connections to other people on the cast. I feel like the biggest loose ends to Martellus are the ones the Folgios would prefer not be tied up by his continuing presence.

    As I said, the Folgios are reluctant to kill off major characters, especially after the early arcs (and in this setting, apparent death doesn't always stick), so I'd still bet that he lives. But of all the characters, he feels like he has the most omens of doom.

  23. - Top - End - #203

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVIII: Dancink! Ve is here for de dancink!

    He has to stick around for quite a while to keep the whole Storm King circus in motion. If he dies, everything neatly devolves to Tarvek and a major source of pointless conflict is removed.

  24. - Top - End - #204
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Beholder

    Join Date
    Aug 2017

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVIII: Dancink! Ve is here for de dancink!

    Why am I more afraid of that cat than of Martellus?
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    The British conquered the world in search of spices and then decided to use none of them.

  25. - Top - End - #205
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Fyraltari's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    France
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVIII: Dancink! Ve is here for de dancink!

    So Martellus managed to re-create his masterís crowning achievement (said master being the kind of guy that makes Albia stop pulling any punches) in a few hours without any of the blueprints or examining said achievement.

    Thatís really impressive, actually.
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law



    Mage avatar by smutmulch.

    Forum Wisdom

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    the Vector Legion [is the IFCC's new pawns], mark my words. Way too much unfinished business there and they already know about the Gates.
    I'll take that bet.

  26. - Top - End - #206
    Orc in the Playground
     
    theangelJean's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVIII: Dancink! Ve is here for de dancink!

    You know, even if Martellus lies through this expedition, and even if his experiment with Miss Cat is successful and he no longer needs Agatha, and even if he is able to get away and start mustering his forces as the Storm King...

    Odds on Miss Cat staying as close to him as necessary?

    I mean, he may have replicated his Master's work (or not - he may just have made a talking cat without the leadership abilities. He's certainly not giving her copious amounts of reading material. And apparently the shiny thing is important too). But his main aim was another function entirely - for which a weasel who just looooves you is ideal - yet he chose a cat. IMHO he chose poorly.
    I'm pretty much the opposite of concise. If I fail to get to the point, please ask me and I'm happy to (attempt to) clarify.

  27. - Top - End - #207
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2007

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVIII: Dancink! Ve is here for de dancink!

    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    So Martellus managed to re-create his masterís crowning achievement (said master being the kind of guy that makes Albia stop pulling any punches) in a few hours without any of the blueprints or examining said achievement.

    Thatís really impressive, actually.
    On one hand, recreating something is easier than doing it from scratch as you have an example to guide you even if you could not study it in details. On the other hand, we do not know, if he truly recreated Krosp's whole set of abilities. The cat lady can talk, but we do not know if she has the same high intelligence as Krosp or will be able to attain it through experience. All the more reasons to doubt that she has the ability to command the bears. At the end of the day she might be no better then the spark wolves, but I do think Martellus planned something special with her. If anything, he might plan to control Krosp indirectly in the oldest way known.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

  28. - Top - End - #208
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    right behind you

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVIII: Dancink! Ve is here for de dancink!

    Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    On one hand, recreating something is easier than doing it from scratch as you have an example to guide you even if you could not study it in details. On the other hand, we do not know, if he truly recreated Krosp's whole set of abilities. The cat lady can talk, but we do not know if she has the same high intelligence as Krosp or will be able to attain it through experience. All the more reasons to doubt that she has the ability to command the bears. At the end of the day she might be no better then the spark wolves, but I do think Martellus planned something special with her. If anything, he might plan to control Krosp indirectly in the oldest way known.
    The thing is, its not about commanding bears, krosp was designed to command CATS. He was given command of the bears afterwards by vapnoodle as a backup for himself iirc. And even then its less about krsp and more about "the shiny thing." As for crowning achievement, while technically it worked, commanding cats is a failure because cats are stupid and cant remember or obey orders more than a minute after getting them so overall it was a failure. No, this cat isnt so much meant to be queen of cats as it is to be martellus's weasel. Its there to break his dependence on agatha so he wont be forced into a subservient position to her. For some reason he had to make it a cat as its "what was available" rather than one of his normal sparkhounds which would have been a way better idea for all sorts of reasons.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

  29. - Top - End - #209
    Troll in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2007

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVIII: Dancink! Ve is here for de dancink!

    Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    The thing is, its not about commanding bears, krosp was designed to command CATS. He was given command of the bears afterwards by vapnoodle as a backup for himself iirc. And even then its less about krsp and more about "the shiny thing." As for crowning achievement, while technically it worked, commanding cats is a failure because cats are stupid and cant remember or obey orders more than a minute after getting them so overall it was a failure. No, this cat isnt so much meant to be queen of cats as it is to be martellus's weasel. Its there to break his dependence on agatha so he wont be forced into a subservient position to her. For some reason he had to make it a cat as its "what was available" rather than one of his normal sparkhounds which would have been a way better idea for all sorts of reasons.
    I think the whole "king of the cats" was a smoke screen actually as the bears were Vapnoople's last secret that he actually was able to keep from the Baron. Krosp would be in severe danger, if he was not considered a failure. Besides, bears recognised Krosp as the leader regardless of the shiny trinket (reference). It also is important here, that Krosp was created while Vapnoople was already Baron's prisoner. All the more reasons to obfuscate the true purpose and range of abilities.

    I do agree that the lady cat does not have to be anything more than Agatha's weasel. It is still something worth keeping secret.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

  30. - Top - End - #210
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Vinyadan's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Girl Genius XXVIII: Dancink! Ve is here for de dancink!

    Something I noticed in this page: https://www.girlgeniusonline.com/com...?date=20150318

    Non est frigidus. I just understood that it's a literal translation of "it's not cool" in Latin.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful ó but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •