New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 49 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Default Re: Girl Genius XXVIII: Dancink! Ve is here for de dancink!

"Thanks, chump!"

Is Zeetha about to make a connection? (Probably not - that's more than tenuous - but it might be enough to plant the seed).
    Last edited by PoeticallyPsyco; 2020-10-14 at 03:43 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II

2. - Top - End - #242
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by PoeticallyPsyco View Post
    "Thanks, chump!"

Is Zeetha about to make a connection? (Probably not - that's more than tenuous - but it might be enough to plant the seed).
    Zeetha knows what a chump is and it's clear she knows that Gil is her bother. For some reason she is going out of her way not to let Gil know it though.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

3. - Top - End - #243
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    Zeetha knows what a chump is and it's clear she knows that Gil is her bother. For some reason she is going out of her way not to let Gil know it though.
    Why is it clear? Would we even know, weren't it for external information?
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

4. - Top - End - #244
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    Martellus is smart about some things. His Sparky science, certainly, and he's a lethal fighter and ruthless in his pursuit of power.
    But then he goes and botches "The Touch of the King" and winds up needing Agatha alive and nearby when there's a few good reasons to kill her.
    He winds up in England with no allies except a non-spark non-fighter (Seffie) and a whole bunch of people who refrain from killing him only because he's momentarily useful. And under those circumstances, he's still plotting to kill Tarvek (my interpretation), despite the fact that Albia can very likely read his mind if she puts out the effort.

He's brave and Sparky and lethal. He doesn't always think things through.
    The thing with Agatha was an offshoot of the original plan. His family setup the zola deal to have a "heterodyne" the storm king could marry to give them legitimacy in the eyes of the people, because thats what the setup was for the original storm king. When he did the touch of the king thing, I dont believe he was aware of the time skip yet so he was enforcing the plan by enslaving the actual heterodyne to his will. He literally threw it together overnight with one hand cut off, so its not surprising there are bugs with it. Not that he would have likely noticed for a long time had she not managed to escape. As for being stuck in england, I dont think that was his choice. Im pretty sure seffie put him in stasis and dragged him to england to get to agatha. Im really not sure why she didnt bring any of his people with him, maybe to keep his infirmity a secret? And he kind of HAS to kill tarvek. if word gets around that someone with a superior claim to the throne is there and also wants the throne, it will make things very very messy. (doubly so since he has a connection to the heterodyne)

His greatest strengths are political games backed by overwhelming lethality. He sees things in big power moves rather than subtlety. Hence the whole show in paris where he had the big plan thrown together to establish his right to the throne backed by a sparky parade celebration, or getting one of the popes to back him to put pressure on the corbittes. We also see that he personally is a very lethal man both in dealing with the attempts on his life by his family, and dealing with gil and bang who, while loopy from lack of sleep, is still a very dangerous and deadly woman. He doesnt really use clanks, he does biological sparky weapons which makes him fairly unique among sparks as his first response isnt to build a death ray or giant robot, its to genetically engineer a solution.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

5. - Top - End - #245
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    Why is it clear? Would we even know, weren't it for external information?
    Here and here are couple examples. The first is Zeetha referencing techniques leaned in Skif. The other is Zeetha being nervous that Gil might remember something. It's not stated clearly, but there is a lot of subtext to what Zeetha does and how she acts around Gil. Also to be sure Zeetha does know for certain Klaus is her father and he knows Zeetha is his kid. But for some reason Klaus isn't telling Gil about it all.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

6. - Top - End - #246

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    Here and here are couple examples. The first is Zeetha referencing techniques leaned in Skif. The other is Zeetha being nervous that Gil might remember something. It's not stated clearly, but there is a lot of subtext to what Zeetha does and how she acts around Gil. Also to be sure Zeetha does know for certain Klaus is her father and he knows Zeetha is his kid. But for some reason Klaus isn't telling Gil about it all.
    While I don't get where this certainty is coming from (novels?), it is very odd that Zeetha, knowing that Klaus even speaks Skifandrian, isn't asking Gil to have someone search in his papers for the location of Skifander. So she might know more than she allows Gil (and anyone else?) to know.

The impression I got here, however, is that Klaus thinks that Zeetha is an assassin sent to kill Gil, no need for her to be his sister (unless there's a specific Skifandrian law about it). However, he probably would have wondered about her being his daughter, if only because he knew it was possible.
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

7. - Top - End - #247

It makes you wonder how common green hair is in Skifander.

8. - Top - End - #248

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    It makes you wonder how common green hair is in Skifander.
    Good question, I had assumed that it was ubiquitous. Zeetha's trinkets are also interesting, and, if they were rare, they'd give Klaus a good hint. Was there any mention of the swords being heirlooms?

9. - Top - End - #249
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

See here...

The missing part to all this is that the Skifandrans think twins are unlucky, and the implication is that when Klaus fled Skifander he was doing it to keep Gil alive. So, when he discovers a Skifandran with Agatha He thought Zeetha might have been sent to kill Gill.

Of course, Zeetha hadn't, and she has spent long enough outside Skifander to lose the "twins = bad" part of the equation, and by the time she meets Gil she is just thinking in terms of "Hey - little brother!"

Klaus intended to tell Gil what was going on afterwards, but afterwards never had a chance to materialise.

EDIT: In the novel it is clear (more so than in the comic) that Klaus doesn't want to kill Zeetha, so it is very likley that he knows who Zeetha is to him.
    Last edited by Manga Shoggoth; 2020-10-14 at 12:20 PM.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ogre in the Playground

New comic is up and yup Krosp is a cat 100% confirmed. From personal experience, my cats aren't quite so daring to eat a sandwich out of my hands while I'm still eating it, but they also aren't bipedal or as sapient/intelligent as Krosp.
    you know that I'm more than just a doll do you?-Geno
    Add me on Steam!
    Spoiler
    Show
    by Thecrimsonmage and By Shades of Gray by Akrim.elf

and current made by me.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    See here...
    This whole conversation between Klaus and Gil is one of my favorite scenes in the comics. Specifically the page you linked with Gil going all "What did you do?" and earlier the Baron pondering if all the female sparks trying to kill him might have been his fault. Their exchange about Bang at the end was also nice.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    This whole conversation between Klaus and Gil is one of my favorite scenes in the comics. Specifically the page you linked with Gil going all "What did you do?" and earlier the Baron pondering if all the female sparks trying to kill him might have been his fault. Their exchange about Bang at the end was also nice.
    Actually, the last panel and the scenes with Bang (the following two pages) are one of the few places where the books really fall behind the comics - somehow the rebus bubbles just don't translate well.
    Last edited by Manga Shoggoth; 2020-10-14 at 03:14 PM.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

13. - Top - End - #253
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    Actually, the last panel and the scenes with Bang (the following two pages) are one of the few places where the books really fall behind the comics - somehow the rebus bubbles just don't translate well.
    I do not have the novels, but I can imagine that it would be very difficult to translate that picture language to text. The thing is, each picture from Bang conveys a simple meaning and it works well for a conversation, where she cannot use words (or talk at all). How do you use words to describe a dialog with no words? Tricky task.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

Can someone help me understand descriptive theory?
    Not "fire at". I never used the word "at"
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

15. - Top - End - #255

Quote Originally Posted by keybounce View Post
    Its when you provide a lot of details to a theory. /serious nod

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

16. - Top - End - #256

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by keybounce View Post
    Hmmm... If I was take a guess I'd say the book is a theoretical approach on how to teach semantics.

17. - Top - End - #257

Of course they do. I have them right here. /holds up off panel objects

18. - Top - End - #258
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Hyoi View Post
    The real question is whether objects in a comic still exist when off-panel.

I didn't catch until the second read that the book changes titles.
    Curse your color wizardry, stealing my idea for a reply. Though it could just be multiple different green books.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II

19. - Top - End - #259

Quote Originally Posted by PoeticallyPsyco View Post
    Curse your color wizardry, stealing my idea for a reply. Though it could just be multiple different green books.
    I think the joke about the "object permanence" is that we can realistically have no idea.

And yes I had to go look after seeing the white text as I hadn't noticed before then.
    I'm pretty much the opposite of concise. If I fail to get to the point, please ask me and I'm happy to (attempt to) clarify.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

It would be really cool if the Foglios had two versions of the comic. One with the Object Permanence book and one where the title doesn't change.

Then write a script that swaps the page at random intervals. They could drive quite a few folks crazy before people start taking screenshots to prove what they'd done.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    It would be really cool if the Foglios had two versions of the comic. One with the Object Permanence book and one where the title doesn't change.

Then write a script that swaps the page at random intervals. They could drive quite a few folks crazy before people start taking screenshots to prove what they'd done.
    To be honest, they never went into this kind of trolling, but I remember that McNinja did not as well and then there was that one page
    Spoiler
    Show
    which has an animated Dracula sneaking up on Doctor McNinja.

There are also comic authors that are known and to a degree expected to pull off those kind of pranks on their audience.

Monty Python at least once made a vinyl album with two separate grooves on the B side obviously without any information about that, which created quite a confusion.

Still, the best example of exactly this kind of a prank was the movie Clue, which was made with three different endings and obviously anyone going to a movie theater would see only one of those, but would have no idea that there are more versions. Surely made the discussions about the movie interesting.

22. - Top - End - #262

Now I have to wonder how effective powdered fire extinguisher would be as chilli mitigation. How hydrophobic is it?

(If it's actually water in that pump - poor Krosp....)
    I'm pretty much the opposite of concise. If I fail to get to the point, please ask me and I'm happy to (attempt to) clarify.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Troll in the Playground

Whoa! Whoa-ho-ho-ho-ho! That GLOBE!

There's been some changes made.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    Whoa! Whoa-ho-ho-ho-ho! That GLOBE!

There's been some changes made.
    Yup. For once, they appear to have gotten rid of an entire continent.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

25. - Top - End - #265

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Yup. For once, they appear to have gotten rid of an entire continent.
    I dunno. That's not two views of the same globe, one centred on the Atlantic (showing the Americas, Western Europe, Atlantis and some Arctic continent) and the other on Europe (Arctic continent now ice-bound joining Europe to the Americas)? Sure, they've taken a bite out of Eastern Africa, and China seems to be missing, but the place where Atlantis would be is hidden by the speech bubble in the current comic.

26. - Top - End - #266

Is it an impression, or they never interrogated Tarvek and Martellus about the Mirrors?

https://www.girlgeniusonline.com/com...?date=20180720

...although Gil wasn't a fan, so maybe that's the reason.

https://www.girlgeniusonline.com/com...?date=20180810

27. - Top - End - #267

It looks like asia is connected to africa by a sizeable land chain. Almost as is the east half of africa was peeled up and connected to asia as a land bridge. Also looks like significant parts of southern europe were destroyed.

28. - Top - End - #268

The planisphere doesn't need to represent the world as it is during the events of the comic. It could also represent how the world used to be, or how its maker thought the world looked.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    The planisphere doesn't need to represent the world as it is during the events of the comic. It could also represent how the world used to be, or how its maker thought the world looked.
    It's sparks, it couls just as well be how they plan for it to look like once they're done.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

30. - Top - End - #270

I notice a fair sized chunk of the Middle East is gone and India doesn't appear to be connected to the rest of Asia. In fact, it looks as though the Himalayas aren't there either. So I suspect that globe is a few million years out of date.