Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Civ6itp 4

1. - Top - End - #31
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Civ6itp 4

Spoiler: Spectator update
    Show

"The Polish beacon tells us that the world is in something called the classical age. Where large empires struggle and fight for dominance.

"But again, this beacon is wrong. We have plans to turn the harsh unending desert into fertile lands. And this beacon tells us that the researching of a coin standard should be enough to put our plan into action. But while we need said coin standard. It isn't enough!

But we will still mine the beacon for any info we can glean from it.

"We start putting in an organized system to categorize the info from the beacon."

"You can see French cities on the river. Eleanor had promised to leave the river to us, but then regened. The beacon tells us of a sword of justice that burns those who betray. We must become said sword to incinerate our enemies.

"The beacon tells tales of their world. About an aggressive desert faring nation called the Venicians. We name our desert settlement after them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Spoiler: Eurus (Mali)
    Show
    Hello stranger, I am Minerva the Wise, guardian of the Swedes. I hope that my men find you in a charitable mood. My people come from the Peninsula of Desolation to greet you this day.

Spoiler: First Spectator Update (Late, I know I know)
    Show
    From time immemorial, the Swedish people have inhabited this, um, "beautiful" peninsula.

The early years were tough. Our people were beset by a horde of tundra barbarians. Our only neighbor for years, the independent state of Vilnius. In time, the suffering of our people ended and we were able to discover the means of production. Perhaps one day this will be a productive land.

We then turned our eyes westward, for there must be something beyond the mountain range.

Though harsh, this tundra promises salt deposits. We shall season our meats yet!

Here we see the edge of our peninsula, the Torne River. We shall establish this as our westmost boundary upon further negotiations with the strangers to the south.

Thanks to some friendly peoples, we discovered an island to our east. We shall settle it and seek further lands eastward!

--------------------------------

At first, I pegged this as a garbage start. Only one hill anywhere near my start location, a coastal capital (I'd rather city 3 be coastal), and lots of floodplains. But it is somewhat turning around. I may be able to salvage the start and set up something somewhat functional. I can fit 3-4 more cities on the peninsula and then I need to find somewhere else to settle. Hopefully Eurus is a better neighbor than I was in 3.
    Happiness is mandatory, citizen. Remember, a happy citizen is a loyal citizen. Failure to be happy at all times is a violation of Alpha Complex regulations. In the event you are unhappy, please immediately inform your Loyalty Officer.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Sweden (RayGallade)
    Show
    A clay tablet inscribed with writing is delivered in response by a confused looking warrior.

Greetings from your friends at YesterdayCorp! You have encountered a type-3 BootstrapsTM settlement operated by manager M.M. and operating since 4000 BC! Our corporate philosophy emphasizes good relationships with neighbors, so please, have no concerns about untoward or aggressive actions! That being said, violation of the Terms of Service will result in armed response. For a full, 300 page explanation of these terms and the specific conditions which may result in warlike conditions, click here: [404 NOT FOUND].

Your privacy is important to us. YesterdayCorp will not share your mailing address, physical coordinates, or genetic sequence without your permission. Accepting this message constitutes permission. Any war crimes committed by the franchisee are the sole responsibility of said party and do not represent the policies of YesterdayCorp as a whole. This is an automated message, please do not reply.

Spoiler: Spectator Update
    Show
    For anyone not familiar with Civ 6's religion mechanics, there's a religious belief called Work Ethic. It used to be weak, but it got buffed to make your religion's holy sites generate production equal to their total adjacency bonus. Combined with a pantheon that gives you better adjacency bonuses and a policy card that doubles them...

Yeah, that's pretty good for a classical era district. Hopefully I can leverage that to spam settlers as soon as I finish my Ancestral Hall, especially if I pull Monumentality.

The empire as it stands. Not many cities, but they're coming along. My map revealed is very small so far, though, because I had two barbarian camps to fend off early.

4. - Top - End - #34

Hey I just voted in the WC, but wasn't able to take my turn?

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

It's going to do this every WC round. We all have to vote before the next turn can go
    Happiness is mandatory, citizen. Remember, a happy citizen is a loyal citizen. Failure to be happy at all times is a violation of Alpha Complex regulations. In the event you are unhappy, please immediately inform your Loyalty Officer.

6. - Top - End - #36

Show

The sands have been fertilized, we used the info from the beacon to ensure that the desert settlement is productive and prosperous.

The glory of war has blossomed into a golden age for our peoples. Soon, all of Eleanor the Betrayer's citizens will be under our rule. A Korean Empire across the continent.

It's been a few turns since I took these pictures. And the northern city of France has fallen.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Show
    YesterdayCorp, you have encroached on our ancestral sacred lands by crossing the Torne River and trespassing onto the Peninsula of Desolation. Withdraw your Crabby archers from our side of the river before any more die by our hands.

Show
    So about Eurus being a better neighbor than me in 3? Yeah, no, I'm probably doomed. I've seen three archers surround my city and am vastly outnumbered so far. But, I've got walls around the city, an extra two archers inbound, and three horsemen coming to the rescue. May Victor be promoted soon so I can better defend my turf.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Spectators
    Show
    Drat. Trading with Sweden was, for now, more profitable than fighting them. I'd like to finish the Mercenaries civic for cheap upgrades before I actually start fighting in earnest, but I'll see if I can poke at his walls a bit.

9. - Top - End - #39

Spoiler: RayGallade;Sweden
    Show

"Greetings. I am Nicole of the Korean republic. We had no earthly idea that other civilizations existed from outside our continent. Tell me, what drove you to explore the seas?"

Head of Republic Nicole~

Spoiler: Spectators.
    Show

That's a strange continents that let you explore the world without ocean crossing.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Spoiler: Illven (Korea)
    Show
    "Peace, Desolation, and Sound be with you, Nicole. We are fleeing the destruction of our homeland, the Peninsula of Desolation, by the cruel and barbarian hordes from the western desert. They call themselves YesterdayCorp and have besieged my people's humble holdings without just cause. For now, my people can hold the line on our side of the Torne River, but I am afraid that there is little I can do to save my people in a protracted fight.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, dang. I completely forgot that cavalry ignore engagement/zone of control.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Spoiler: Horses Horses Horses
    Show
    Playing as Scythia in 2 taught me a lot about cavalry and ZoC.

13. - Top - End - #43

Spoiler: RayGallade;Sweden
    Show

"If you believe you are holding the line, what weapons are your forces and yesterday corps forces using?"

~Nicole

14. - Top - End - #44
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Show
    Thus far, we have held thanks to horsemen, simple stone walls, and crossbows. Meanwhile, we face crossbows of their own, iron swords, catapults, mercenaries known as Nihang, even strange armored horsemen who guard their merchants. It is rumored that they are on the verge of discovering powerful siege guns to tear down our walls. We are roughly even for now, but they will soon overpower my meager cities. By my count, they have ten well founded cities to my struggling six. Not only do they have more production capability than us, they have better lands too. The harsh tundra and snow of the Peninsula of Desolation is near worthless compared to the lush floodplains and hills of their side of the Torne River.

Show

Even in war, we are beset by vile barbarians. Curse these heathens for delaying our reinforcements.

Here's the warfront. Our forces have captured another forward settling crew. Perhaps we shall settle into the snow, if only to spite our tormentors. Note the southern horsemen, they are blocking an encampment from being constructed on our doorstep.

On a side note, we had hoped to hire Vilnius's troops to supplement our own. Unfortunately, they are incredibly expensive and no longer factor into our plan.

(Why Eurus has decided that he needs my lands for any reason other than revenge for 3 is confusing to me. Still, if I can somehow survive long enough to start pushing back, I'm gunning for the entire continent.)

The last hope of the Swedes. If we can sail across the ocean perhaps we will find our way out of here.

------------

I'm in a very bad spot. I have no good options for where to settle on my side of the river and flat out don't have the production capability to fight back for long. If my city falls, I won't be able to fight back.

15. - Top - End - #45

Show

"Our Empire is content once more!"

16. - Top - End - #46
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Show
    "YesterdayCorp, your automated message claims that you desire peace. However, your wanton invasion of the Peninsula of Desolation must be answered for. Surrender all of your holdings along and east of the Nigerian River and we shall have peace. Defy us, and you shall discover the sounds of Swedish wrath."

Spoiler: Spectators
    Show
    I have managed to stablize my borders for now, thanks largely to making favorable crossbow trades. My forces outmuscle him 4:1 now and I'm four turns out from Metal Casting and bringing a trio of bombards against him, so if he refuses my peace offer I will march against his lands.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Spoiler: Out of character question for Eurus
    Show
    You don't have to tell me, but how did you get that Encampment up in only one turn? Or were you building it there all along and I just never saw it?

18. - Top - End - #48

Spoiler: Raygallade:sweden
    Show

As discussed elsewhere. We have agreed to loan you 300 gold, and to a mutual trade of dyes for silver

~Nicole of Tech advancement company

Show

This beacon has propelled our scientific advancement. But.... The polish played lipservice into protecting the environment. However we see it, and we know. We can use coal to take our production to new heights. But unlike the Polish world, ours will be poisoned and blackened for us to do so.

We will fund the Swedish defensive efforts against the unknown enemy that lurks beyond our borders, in the endless fog.

To see the trade lanes of our empire!

19. - Top - End - #49
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Show
    And as agreed, we shall supply you with niter so that you might build up your navy.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RayGallade View Post
    Spoiler: Out of character question for Eurus
    Show
    You don't have to tell me, but how did you get that Encampment up in only one turn? Or were you building it there all along and I just never saw it?
    Reyna! Finally got her that promotion.

21. - Top - End - #51

Spoiler: Eurus;Mali
    Show

Greetings from across the seas. I am the leader of Korea, Nicole. We are the major power on our continent, it is a pleasure to meet you.

~Nicole

22. - Top - End - #52

Show

In the year 1460 AD, did the Korean navy start to see a significant build up.

The Swedish confederation is near the brink, however we shall come to their defense. We shall mine the beacon for ideas about supreme ships. Their maps show that the enemy in the fog is mainly a costal empire.

Operation Thanix may be the most vital thing our nation ever does. We start by sending trading caravans to the Swords of Venice forcing it to grow.
    [Once I can place down a harbor, The Swords of Venice can start to build ships.]

[I really need to take care of these barbarians. Then I can decommision the crossbows for more gold]

Victor. You have one job. Head to the Tower of the Archmagi, find the fittest men and women and press them into service for our navy.

"We estimate that we can complete a harbor in 6-7 data cycles."

23. - Top - End - #53
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Just a heads up that I will not be able to take a turn until Monday

24. - Top - End - #54

Show

Someone gang stabbed Victor! The Swords of venice's ships won't be promoted.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Bugbear in the Playground

NinjaGuy

You know, I don't play a lot but I don't tend to use Victor much apart from as a loyalty stick. Am I alone in that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    She was about to say "--this new place that just opened up, Starshinia, which was founded by a red-headed aasimar, but was just taken over by an Azurite fallen paladin turned blackguard. Apropos of nothing, I hear they just invented a new spell called Halflings Don't Have To Breathe."

26. - Top - End - #56

Spoiler: Spectator answer
    Show

Well you see, the reason I use Victor is that he gives a free promotion to any unit built in the city. For instance if I still had him, the swords of Venice would be +7 combat strength higher against cities.

In addition, he can give spies a promotion.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Without knowing what prompted the question, I can tell you a promoted Victor is great if you are getting invaded. More city strength, immunity to sieges, and double city strikes are nothing to sneeze at.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Bugbear in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Spoiler: Ilven
    Show

I didn't know he gave spies a promotion! That certainly bumps him up!

And good point on the defensive promotions too!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    She was about to say "--this new place that just opened up, Starshinia, which was founded by a red-headed aasimar, but was just taken over by an Azurite fallen paladin turned blackguard. Apropos of nothing, I hear they just invented a new spell called Halflings Don't Have To Breathe."

29. - Top - End - #59

Show

Operation Thanix, has inspired one truth of our people. "We are each a nation" From us the mighty Koreans, to the backwards nations of other lands.

Victor has survived his first brush with an assassin. Hopefully that shall be the only one.

Yi as given us a gift. The world's first Ironclad! We have used similar technologies to fortify our cities.

We have discarded natural philosophy. Those scholars will join our army has tacticians and aides!

And let's let our fleets be formed!

30. - Top - End - #60
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Spoiler: Small War Update
    Show

The Peninsula of Desolation continues to be consumed by war. Fortunately, our forces have managed to secure a foothold on our border. Our Carolean initiative has produced results, their strength has allowed us to force the enemy back.

However, we recently attempted to push toward Kangaba, Our troops were swiftly rebuffed and sent packing. This war is nothing but a stalemate.

Goteborg remains strong. The walls took some scratch damage, but we have repaired them. The campus district remains ruined from the initial assault, but otherwise we continue to hold the line.

Snow Way Out stands as an insult to Mali. We had captured one of their settlers, so we chose to plant a city on the ice. There's nothing of note here other than securing the northern border. Perhaps it will help our open air museums once we discover them.

----------------------

This war is nothing but a stalemate. I can't push out, but I can keep Eurus off my border. At this point, I'm probably relegated to playing kingmaker with Illven.