New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Default Re: Am I wrong to worry about real life interfering with OotS? Is it "entitlement?"

On the other hand, Robert Jordan hand picked a successor to finish The Wheel Of Time for him after he died, so it's not unrealistic to wonder if any other author might enact a similar contingency plan.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Am I wrong to worry about real life interfering with OotS? Is it "entitlement?"

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    I'm glad you've accepted this, because I seriously doubt The Giant (aka Rich Berlew) will allow some random guy named Rob (Rob Redblade, perhaps?) to finish The Order of the Stick.
    The previously mentioned Efrworld comic, which was originally hosted on this server before moving on to its own, was authored by a guy named Rob, so there's possible non-random reasoning behind that name substitution as well.
    Last edited by pearl jam; 2020-09-25 at 09:09 PM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

This is not what I am saying. Please read my post more carefully. No one is suggesting Rich ignore an emergency to write more comic for the people. You are taking this to an extreme that is far beyond what the scope of what the question was.

Quote Originally Posted by NerdyKris View Post
    Yes, absolutely. Whether or not the readers get to see the ending should be the last thing on Rich's mind in an emergency.

The idea that authors "owe" their readers a finished work is the kind of toxic fandom that people have been speaking out against for years. You are not entitled to an author's work. You aren't entitled to anything. There is no moral or ethical obligation ever to make sure a work can be finished after you're gone, even if you're George R R Martin. If he's planning for, ugh, the end of his life, it should be the last thing on his mind. The only thing he should be considering is taking care of his family.

Also, this death watch has been going on for like ten years now. One time there was a question if he should rig up a button he can press to get help from the forums if he was incapacitated, completely ignoring the fact that he has a family. It's ghoulish and weird, and has encouraged more than a few boundary crossing individuals to act like their para social relationship with Rich is a lot more important than it is.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Picking someone else to continue your work is often a bad idea. Look at George Lucas.

(Yes, I wanted to be the first to mention Star Wars in this thread)

5. - Top - End - #35
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Pilgrim View Post
    Picking someone else to continue your work is often a bad idea. Look at George Lucas.
    I wish Marcia Lucas had been given the rights to Star Wars/Empire/Jedi and the entire franchise in their divorce settlement.

The special editions are acts of vandalism and while the sequel trilogy was a total mess I'll take most of the Disney stuff over George's prequels any day.

6. - Top - End - #36

SolithKnightGuy

The wheel of time endings weren’t exactly great
    To my mind he basically threw a whole bunch under the bus - some of those deaths just seemed to be ‘powerful female character who can’t be allowed to take away from the main 3 males’
    And then the very distinct racial edges to the final enemy whilst subtly endorsing seanchan slavery throughout the series (remember the ex-seanchan who was only slightly guilty about sending an innocent woman into sexual slavery?)
    The more I re-read the series, especially in the current climate and reading stuff the author said under his own name, the less happy I am. There’s a definite Southern apologia undercurrent.
    'Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalië ar Atanatári, utúlie'n aurë! “The day has come! Behold, people of the Eldar and Fathers of Men, the day has come!" And all those who heard his great voice echo in the hills answered, crying:'Auta i lómë!" The night is passing!"

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    I'm glad you've accepted this, because I seriously doubt The Giant (aka Rich Berlew) will allow some random guy named Rob (Rob Redblade, perhaps?) to finish The Order of the Stick.
    Quote Originally Posted by pearl jam View Post
    The previously mentioned Efrworld comic, which was originally hosted on this server before moving on to its own, was authored by a guy named Rob, so there's possible non-random reasoning behind that name substitution as well.
    OP originally said Rob instead of Rich so that was the joke I was making.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

8. - Top - End - #38

I don't know anything about the person behind the alias of "The Giant", so I can't say anything usefull.

But I think that it's a good thing to be worried for some other people, because it's a good feeling. I never met the Giant and I probably never will as we live on the other side of the world, but there is a part of me that wish him well, and that is good. I'm not a religious person, but let's say that if I was, I would pray for him.

(for him, for Eiichiro Oda and for George Martins, in this order, to be accurate)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    New suggestion: the MitD is an Italian Protean. Mamma mia!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    Eyyy, I'm-a shiftin' da shapes and-a helping my amico Signore Stiffliano escape! Easyducio! Bada bing!

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by caltino View Post
    There's a sense of investment that I don't feel with reading any trade comics, books, tv shows, etc.
    It's a comic book that you read on the internet.
    Maybe Rich wins the lottery or becomes lead developer of next DnD edition
    Bad idea.
    I wonder if it could just suddenly stop one day and we would never know anything else about these characters and to what ends their adventure was taking them.
    Easy to do. It's a comic book. But I, being a selfish old fart, sincerely hope that this does not come to pass. I want Rich to live At Least as long as it takes him to finish the story, and to write another story about something else, and even longer than that. He's grown as a writer, before our very eyes, and I'd love to see him do a book or a graphic novel that had nothing to do with D&D.
    That would be cool.
    But if it does not happen my life goes on. But selfish me wants more of his stories.
    Of course, real life being what it is, nothing is absolutely safe. Any show or periodical you have been following for years can stop suddenly for whatever reason,
    Shows and comic books are the decorations of life. Life itself is the dinner party.
    My question here is, is it wrong for me to be wondering if there are some contingency plans in place to take care of the long time readers of the comic?
    I'd suggest you check your priorities.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Pilgrim View Post
    Picking someone else to continue your work is often a bad idea. Look at George Lucas. (Yes, I wanted to be the first to mention Star Wars in this thread)
    He made a mess of his own idea: Jar Jar Binks, for just one example.
    Quote Originally Posted by Synesthesy View Post
    I don't know anything about the person behind the alias of "The Giant", so I can't say anything useful
    He's from Philly. That's not a good thing. But he's the author of OoTS. That's a good thing, squared. On that balance, good-thingness seems to win.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2020-09-26 at 08:33 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

People who live in glass houses should not throw stones, "Location: Texas."

source: spent 21 out of the first 23 years of my life in Texas
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

On the one hand, it makes no sense to worry about a problem you can't affect in any way. On the other hand, humans are not creatures of perfect logic, so, yes, i'd say that feeling is, if not good, at least understandable.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    People who live in glass houses should not throw stones, "Location: Texas."

source: spent 21 out of the first 23 years of my life in Texas
    I am going to guess that unlike me, you were not subjected to an inundation of that which is Philly in the mid 1970's. I had not yet moved to Texas at that point in my life. (In Philly's defense, my son went on a school field trip there in second grade and really liked it. No, we were not living in Texas at the time).

@woweed: what's all this, being reasonable and such? Are you not aware that this is The Internets?!
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2020-09-26 at 10:00 PM.
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

As somebody who lives in PA but has friends and family in Texas i can confirm that Philly is worse. There is one person from Philly in our D&D group, and we relentlessly make fun of them for, among other things, saying "wudder" instead of water. And they take it, because they know they deserve it for being so very wrong.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

It's a bit unbalanced to compare a city with a state, especially one with as much variety as Texas. I'd take Austin (the only part of Texas that I'm intimately familiar with, since until recently half my family lived there) over Philly any day. But modern Philly has a lot going for it. I'd almost certainly take it over the "average" part of Texas, depending on exactly what that meant - is the "average" part of a state even a coherent concept?
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

15. - Top - End - #45

The OP sounds a bit like Tarquin.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emanick View Post
    It's a bit unbalanced to compare a city with a state, especially one with as much variety as Texas.
    I love Pittsburgh. I always liked State College when I visited my sister there. I even liked Harrisburg the few times I was there. Texas is all over the map - both literally and figuratively - so I'll go with "that basis of comparison doesn't work so great" as well said.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2020-09-27 at 11:06 AM.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    I love Pittsburgh. I always liked State College when I visited my sister there. I even liked Harrisburg the few times I was there. Texas is all over the map - both literally and figuratively - so I'll go with "that basis of comparison doesn't work so great" as well said.
    Can confirm State College is pretty great, if you avoid down town where the college kids lurk. Its done my family pretty well.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

18. - Top - End - #48
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Authors don't really owe their readers anything. If they make commitments to their fandom then it would be nice if they fulfilled those commitments, but it's not a legal contract or anything.
    It is a bit ghoulish to ask an author "hey, have you thought about who will finish your story if you get hit by a bus tomorrow?" It's not really a fan's place to ask this. If an author has serious health concerns, it's up to him or her to tell his or her fans "yes, I have contingencies in place." Or even, "no, I won't trust this to anyone else. If I die, the work will never be completed, sorry."

Is it entitlement to think an author does owe you something, as a fan? I guess that depends on what you mean by "entitlement". Telling George R.R. Martin that he should have a panic button installed to alert the internet forums that he's having a health issue is a good example of going too far, I think.

I think its very easy for fans to feel like they know an author when they really don't know them at all, only their work. I hope the authors that I have met at cons (Terry Pratchett, Alan Dean Foster, Brandon Sanderson, and Timothy Zahn to name a few) have all appreciated my telling them that I enjoyed their work. I was making a distinct effort to not fanboy too much over them when I met them face-to-face.

You can always support the author of a work by buying it. The .pdfs and print books all include stuff that's not on the webcomic. I think buying an author's work is probably almost as appreciated as reading it.
    Last edited by Jason; 2020-09-27 at 03:00 PM.

19. - Top - End - #49

Quote Originally Posted by caltino View Post
    Reading OotS is different than anything I have done before (reading wise): I have been following the comic for more than 11 years now. There's a sense of investment that I don't feel with reading any trade comics, books, tv shows, etc.

When real life things happen, like Erfworld shutting down and Rich had his accident with his hand, I worry about the comic. (The reason could be anything and not necessarily somber. Maybe Rich wins the lottery or becomes lead developer of next DnD edition.)

I wonder if it could just suddenly stop one day and we would never know anything else about these characters and to what ends their adventure was taking them. I hope to myself that maybe some other people know the outlines of the story, kind of like what happened with half life 3, albeit years later.

Of course, real life being what it is, nothing is absolutely safe. Any show or periodical you have been following for years can stop suddenly for whatever reason, but in most cases there is an enterprise around them that may be able to provide some continuation or at least closure, in a sense.

My question here is, is it wrong for me to be wondering if there are some contingency plans in place to take care of the long time readers of the comic? Is that some entitlement that readers are not deserving, or could one call us a partner/stakeholder in this journey, even though our contribution is purely consumption. Maybe we help make the comic exist by providing an audience, but I am not even sure of that since OotS maybe would have been written anyway, even without a following.

I know that in many instances things have happened such that the consumers/followers/fans/etc have been completely ignored. And if your answer is "in real life it happens all the time, don't expect anything else" then OK, I get it. But I am looking more for a discussion on thoughts for our case here and what is reasonable.
    There's a statistically very similar chance that the dreaded "something" will happen to you and you will never get to finish reading the story. And that chance, those odds, are far more actionable for you than what happens in The Giant's life. Focus on your side of the equation bro.
    Last edited by Lombard; 2020-09-27 at 03:16 PM. Reason: typ

20. - Top - End - #50
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

To answer the question in the title, of course you're not wrong to worry about it. As some have pointed out, worrying about it is really only a detriment to you - and while you'd probably be better off not worrying, it's not necessarily something you can help. The real question is, "Is it wrong to bother Rich and ask him to consider an OotS contingency plan?" I think the answer is unequivocally yes, that would be somewhat rude and entitled. Even raising a discussion about it among the community is less than stellar, since raising that same worry in others' minds will in some likelihood lead to someone else badgering Rich about it. So it's really best to keep those worries to yourself.

21. - Top - End - #51

SwashbucklerGuy

The most we readers can do is buy OotS merch and donate to the patreon so that Rich isn't threatened by potential financial troubles. Any other issue that might end the comic is up to Rich and not any of our business.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hungrycrow View Post
    The most we readers can do is buy OotS merch and donate to the patreon so that Rich isn't threatened by potential financial troubles. Any other issue that might end the comic is up to Rich and not any of our business.
    +1 for this.
    For NerdyKris: ouch, I was not aware that Rich had to deal with that among the fandom. Yuk.

23. - Top - End - #53

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    On the other hand, Robert Jordan hand picked a successor to finish The Wheel Of Time for him after he died, so it's not unrealistic to wonder if any other author might enact a similar contingency plan.
    Prediction for the emergency 1 page comic that Rich has pre-prepared in case he needs to suddenly wind OotS up.

Sudden jump back to Panel 2.

It turns out that everything that's happened since was an epic level illusion spell Nale cast (which he was able to work out when in Girard's pyramid) as his actual plan to disrupt the marriage ceremony.

The true ending to OotS really was Elan's Dream Happy Ending after all.
    Geez, what is it with that guy and needing to figure out all the fiddly little details?

I know, right? It's called "Suspension of Disbelief"...
    Quote Originally Posted by Everyl View Post
    Some speculation turns out to be accurate, some doesn't. I'll deal with it the same way I deal with all other speculative theories I read and/or come up with: by continuing to read the comic, and enjoying it whether the speculation turns out to be right or wrong.
    Spoiler: Can I have an internet?
    Show

24. - Top - End - #54
    Archmage in the Playground Moderator

Metamagic Mod: given that we don't allow discussions about the comic schedule or speculations on the Giant's health, and that it's generally in poor taste to discuss a real person's health (and possible death) as a function of their ability to complete a work of fiction, this is not a discussion to be had here.
    (Avatar by Cuthalion, who is great.)