New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Why does my laptop say "you have 3 minutes of battery left" when it's really just 1?

I was 2 minutes away from finishing my TF2 match when I got an alert saying that I had 3 minutes of battery left. "Okay," I thought to myself "I'll just plug it in right after the match."

Then it shut down a minute later.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Default Re: Why does my laptop say "you have 3 minutes of battery left" when it's really just

It's an estimate and I'm guessing it's based on average mundane computer usage, like word processing or browsing the web. Doing anything that uses more computing power, like gaming, probably also uses more literal power (i.e., electricity).
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Why does my laptop say "you have 3 minutes of battery left" when it's really just

Besides being an estimate, most computers try to shut down properly if given the chance, since that prevents damage to the OS. That takes power, so its quite possible the computer saved enough juice to shut itself down.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

It is just an estimate based on your previous usage. And it is not accurate!
    It just missed 2 minutes.
    Some times my Laptop says I have 30 mins and after 15mins it shuts down
    I am a fan of Harry Potter and my house is Hufflepuff.
    Do you know yours? You can find your house by What Hogwarts house are you in quiz

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by warty goblin View Post
    Besides being an estimate, most computers try to shut down properly if given the chance, since that prevents damage to the OS. That takes power, so its quite possible the computer saved enough juice to shut itself down.
    I think later versions of windows by default attempt to hibernate rather than shut down.

Although this brings back memories of wiring servers to UPS packs - each pack had a serial port that you wired to the server so that the UPS could give a shutdown warning in time to allow the server to shut down cleanly when the power went.

Depending on circumstances, a UPS used to give about 15 minutes power, so if the power went out on a large system the wisest thing to do was shut down as soon as the UPS kicks in, unless you also had generators in which case the UPS was just there to hold the servers up* while the generators kicked in**.

Of course, there was only one serial slot, and I had to wire four servers into the UPS...

* Don't ask about about power spikes on the switchover...
    ** Don't ask about the time the electricians forgot to connect the generators to the UPS...
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

It said that because it's really amazingly accurate at estimating its remaining battery life. Determining how much usable energy is left in a battery is a really hard problem, and gets harder as battery technology improves. Being off by only two minutes would have been undreamed-of even a few years ago.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

7. - Top - End - #7

The laptop is also providing itself with a reserve charge for while it's down--the boot up when you start the laptop actually begins drawing on the battery, before it gets active enough to notice that it's plugged in.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

My condolences.

I find it interesting my phone seems to cling onto life when it’s purportedly about to die. That last 1% lasts way longer than any other 1%.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danzibr View Post
    My condolences.

I find it interesting my phone seems to cling onto life when it’s purportedly about to die. That last 1% lasts way longer than any other 1%.
    This is similar to the reserve portion most car's fuel gauges are set for, I think, where the 'out of gas/empty' sign goes off while you still have some time to travel - it's intended to try to allow you to reach a gas station before the car goes out on you completely (or failing that give a chance to safely get out of traffic and park.) Your phone's battery estimate may likewise be set to under-estimate how much actual remaining charge time you have when it's that low, in the hopes that seeing that 1% alert will motivate you to find a place to plug in or at least properly exit out of any apps you are running to avoid having them crash out when the battery gives up.

10. - Top - End - #10

Or exit out of apps to save the battery.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Hmm, I've always thought that the reason why this estimate isn't accurate is that the battery degrades over time and use, and I think there is no way of verifying current state of degradation, so even if the estimate time is pretty accurate when the laptop/phone/battery is new after a while it's impossible to accurately calculate that

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

The reasons for the inaccuracy vary, but it's a combination of actual inaccuracy and various settings for the device.

My laptop, for instance, gives a first warning at 10 minutes, repeats a more urgent warning at 8 minutes, and forcibly goes into sleep with about 5 minutes of power left. The reason it does so, is that the last few minutes of battery power are still used while it's in sleep mode, and it gives you a short window of time to find a place to plug it in. But should you fail to find a place to plug it in within the next ten minutes or so, it will use up the last remaining bit of power to wake up for long enough to properly shut down.

I usually try not to get to the 8 minute warning, and either plug it in immediately if I'm able, or manually shut it down. Since the estimate is not very accurate, it often runs out of power while trying to shut down from sleep mode, which just causes more issues on powering it back up afterwards.
    Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    ---------------------
    Current occupation: Considering drawing a better Psionic Flame avatar.
    ---------------------
    Skills: Competent Modder, Proficient Programmer, Accomplished RTD Game Master, Adequate Artist, Dabbling Writer
    ---------------------
    Join Dropbox! It's free! And useful!