New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Default Dimension Dervish Magus + Spell Combat

So I have a few questions in regards to a few possible interactions

Q1) If you Spell Combat, can you cast a standard action spell, perform the full-attack action associated with Spell Combat, AND use Dimension Door as a swift action?

Q2) If yes to Q1, Do you technically get 2 full attacks in that turn? Or does Dimension Door just alter the full-attack of Spell Combat? (Pretty sure it's just an alteration, but a guy can hope, eh? lol)

Q3) If the Standard Action spell used for Spell Combat is Greater Bladed Dash, do you get all of the attacks associated with the spell and then use Spell Combat's full-attack action?

Any advice is appreciated because I've been getting mixed responses from my group on how this works. Also any other ideas would be much appreciated. I've recently started getting the hang of my Bladebound Kensai Magus in regards to trying to keep up with the rest of the group performance-wise, and I want to continue to keep up with them as best I can

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Dimension Dervish Magus + Spell Combat

Quote Originally Posted by Ourian7491 View Post
    Q1) If you Spell Combat, can you cast a standard action spell, perform the full-attack action associated with Spell Combat, AND use Dimension Door as a swift action?
    No; spell combat is a full-round action but not a full-attack action, so you can't use Dervish with Spell Combat.

Q3) If the Standard Action spell used for Spell Combat is Greater Bladed Dash, do you get all of the attacks associated with the spell and then use Spell Combat's full-attack action?
    Yes.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    No; spell combat is a full-round action but not a full-attack action, so you can't use Dervish with Spell Combat.
    Is there a reason why it wouldn't work? because I thought Swift Actions could still be made during a Full Round action, and since Dervish makes Dimension Door a Swift Action cast and adds a full-attack action as part of the spell, wouldn't that allow it to work?

Or is there something else at work here that I'm missing or misunderstanding that is preventing this?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ourian7491 View Post
    Is there a reason why it wouldn't work? because I thought Swift Actions could still be made during a Full Round action
    "You can take a full-attack action, activating abundant step or casting dimension door as a swift action." Dervish is not a swift action that you can take just whenever you feel like.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    "You can take a full-attack action, activating abundant step or casting dimension door as a swift action." Dervish is not a swift action that you can take just whenever you feel like.
    Oh okay I misread it. I thought it was saying I could cast it as a Swift Action and add a full-attack to the spell.

my bad lol. Thanks for the clarification

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

As a Spell Combat full-round action, the Magus can already cast Dimension Door and follow up with a full attack. You don't need to cast it as a swift, that's essentially what Spell Combat lets you do.
    So the only additional use you get out of Dimensional Dervish compared to Dimensional Assault, is to divide your teleportation between increments and change place with each attack. Which is pretty cool.
    My True Neutral Handbook, a resource for creating and playing TN characters.

Check out my extended signature and the "Gitp regulars as..." that I've been honored with!