New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Are there any instances of dragging an enemy with a net in core books?

Some NPC slavers are planning to capture travelers along a desert road. So here's the idea: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DruC...=youtu.be&t=88

The execution in RAW seems simple enough: Exotic Weapon Proficiency Net, Mounted Combat, and Ride-by Attack are all available at level 1 with a human fighter in just core. Have the rope tied to a saddle horn beforehand and you could argue the mount makes the Strength check to control the victim's movement (page 119 Player's Handbook under Net.)

However, I can't find anything about damage by being dragged. Nonlethal damage seems appropriate. Any thoughts?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Are there any instances of dragging an enemy with a net in core books?

Your post shows up on a key word search, but not in the general list. Very odd.

I had this exact same thought just recently. Then I searched and found your post.

I haven't seen anything specific either.

I had previous 'house ruled' that net attacks ignore armor - because armor would not protect since the target isn't being damaged. This makes nets a lot more useful.

I would absolutely think the size difference would come into play with any contest of strength (carrying capacity multiplier) between someone in a net vs a mount. I think there is something somewhere involving grappling that includes this.

When dragging a net along the ground, it can get hung up on all sorts of things like stumps to brambles to small bushes. Terrain would be a big factor in how long you could drag someone without the net being snagged.

But I am stoked on the tactic - especially against big bad HP sinks that pose a big problem to the PCs. Getting them out of the way for a few rounds could turn the outcome.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Chimera

Default Re: Are there any instances of dragging an enemy with a net in core books?

Going by the actual rules:

-A net uses a touch attack. It already ignores armor.
    -The check to drag someone along with you is an opposed Strength check. It's not affected by size directly, just by your stat. It doesn't take BAB into consideration either.
    -A net can only be used on targets within 1 size category of itself. Targets too small can pass through the net's gaps, and targets too big aren't wrapped by it. You can use a weapon up to 1 size category different from yourself with a -4 bonus, which isn't a big deal here since the weapon uses Touch attacks, so you can prepare more than one net for special enemies.
    -There is no automatic dragging damage. You could drag someone through a space that deals damage though, such as an area spell or fire or alchemical substance.
    -The enemy can break out of a net by damaging it or through a couple different checks(Strength or Escape Artist). Due to the low damage threshold, you'll see a lot of snapped nets if trying to catch big enemies, and small enemies can pass that EA check most of the time. They really work best against Medium creatures.

Now these are a few considerations your DM might be inclined to accept:

-If you tie your net to your horse, you could say it's the horse that's doing the pulling, so you can use his Str modifier instead of yours.
    -You may ask if dangerous terrain incurs some dragging damage, and for some on-the-fly rulings on that.
    -If the tactic is liked in your games, ask to make or commission a special net-like item with better properties. This is homebrew, but so are the above.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

You could simulate damage through dragging by making it 'stinging', which, although I'm away from my books, should make the net deal damage from embedded thorns...

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

I wasn't suggesting dragging damage to the target. But having drug nets across the ground (don't ask me why I did this), they snag on everything. Maybe a large, thick net snags less and it isn't as much of a problem. But I can say from experience that nets snag.

I think having disadvantage on attempts to cut the net or break free while being dragged prone is reasonable.

Official rules:

I don't recall seeking anything saying that net's ignore armor.

I don't recall seeing anything about a minimum size for creatures affected by nets.

148 PHB
    "A Large or smaller creature hit by a net is restrained until it is freed. A net has no effect on creatures that are form less, or creatures that are Huge or larger. A creature can use its action to make a DC 10 Strength check, freeing itself or another creature within its reach on a success. Dealing 5 slashing damage to the net (AC 10) also frees the creature without harming it, ending the effect and destroying the net. W hen you use an action, bonus action, or reaction to attack with a net, you can make only one attack regardless of the number of attacks you can normally make."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

Chimera

If it were up to me it would deal huge amounts of nonlethal, maybe find out how much fall damage would result from falling from a height equal to the speed traveled, divide by two, and call it that much. But there is also a lot of creativity on the players part that could go into this, maybe a successful tumble check means they can get on top of their shield and take no damage?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Hilary View Post

I don't recall seeking anything saying that net's ignore armor.
    assuming you're using 3.5, here's the net's description from the SRD. If you're using a different version (3.0, pathfinder, etc. the answer may be different)

A net is used to entangle enemies. When you throw a net, you make a ranged touch attack against your target. A net’s maximum range is 10 feet. If you hit, the target is entangled. An entangled creature takes a -2 penalty on attack rolls and a -4 penalty on Dexterity, can move at only half speed, and cannot charge or run. If you control the trailing rope by succeeding on an opposed Strength check while holding it, the entangled creature can move only within the limits that the rope allows. If the entangled creature attempts to cast a spell, it must make a DC 15 Concentration check or be unable to cast the spell.

An entangled creature can escape with a DC 20 Escape Artist check (a full-round action). The net has 5 hit points and can be burst with a DC 25 Strength check (also a full-round action).

A net is useful only against creatures within one size category of you.

A net must be folded to be thrown effectively. The first time you throw your net in a fight, you make a normal ranged touch attack roll. After the net is unfolded, you take a -4 penalty on attack rolls with it. It takes 2 rounds for a proficient user to fold a net and twice that long for a nonproficient one to do so.
    While it never specifically calls out ignoring armor, it DOES specifically call it out as a ranged touch attack, which the SRD defines as follows:

Some attacks disregard armor, including shields and natural armor. In these cases, the attacker makes a touch attack roll (either ranged or melee). When you are the target of a touch attack, your AC doesn’t include any armor bonus, shield bonus, or natural armor bonus. All other modifiers, such as your size modifier, Dexterity modifier, and deflection bonus (if any) apply normally.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Hilary View Post
    snip
    I believe you're in the wrong board mate, this is the 3e/3.5/PF section. If you're looking for 5e, they're next door.