New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 34 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default [IC] The Cult of Brannulv

The Plague of Tamor Town, Part 2 The Cult of Brannulv. Continued from [IC] The Plague of Tamor Town.

-----

With Ghiso's mighty blow the remaining ooze splatters apart and is not able to reconstitute.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Copying some of the unfinished stuff from the previous thread here.

Taara takes 5 damage from the fall.

Spoiler: Examine the concentric circles on the floor
    Show
    With detect magic going you can see there are three separate effects and can roll separately for each one. Without detect magic it is much harder to decipher what is going on, you can only make one check with disadvantage to interpret the magic and the DC's are higher 20, 25, and 22 respectively. This check will take at least 10 minutes IC so you do not know the answer immediately, if you are interrupted you keep the initial roll.

Spoiler: Outermost Circle, DC 18 Arcana
    Show
    Wind Wall.

Spoiler: Sandwiched Circle, DC 23 Arcana
    Show
    Antimagic Wall

Spoiler: Innermost Circle, DC 20 Arcana
    Show
    Teleportation Circle

Spoiler: Examine the statue
    Show
    In the center of the circles stands a statue almost as tall as the room, it appears to be made of clay.

Spoiler: If you touch the circles or try to jump over them to the statue
    Show
    DC 17 Strength save. Take 3d8 bludgeoning damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one as a wind whips up out of nowhere and throws you across the room. Also roll initiative.
    "Time is an abstract concept created by carbon-based life-forms to monitor their ongoing decay." - Thunderclese

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [IC] The Cult of Brannulv

Ghiso cleaned up the pickaxe, putting it back.
    "Right, we were saying...?" he asked, as he started checking out the glyphs on the ground. The other one they saw triggered on sight (or proximity?) and these didn't, and seemed to be stopping people from getting near the statue, so he figured he shouldn't touch them.

Spoiler: Ooc
    Show
    So, arcana checks, outhermost then sandwhiched then innermost.

(1d20+6)[19]
    (1d20+6)[20]
    (1d20+6)[10]

"The external circle is Wind Wall. It'll hurt anybody who triggers it and will make it hard to pass through, stopping projectiles. Well, physical projectiles. The other... No idea. But one is something to stop stuff from passing through and the other creates something, that much I know"
    Last edited by Valmark; 2020-09-26 at 10:36 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Not really wishing to be hurt any further, Zarron scoots out of the room without going anywhere near the glyphs. Once safely outside, he loads his crossbow, planning to shoot the statue for fun and release of pent-up aggression, once everyone is clear of the room.
    Last edited by Zergrinch; 2020-09-27 at 12:13 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

"Is he going to shoot us?" Lana asked absently. But she really didn't like the room, so she took Taara's hand and made her way out.
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

"If he does, I can catch it," Taara reassured and held Lana's hand, staying close to her and between her and Zarron as if it was a genuine worry he could do such a thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Requilac View Post
    Wow, i can’t believe it, WotC actually made the rules compatible for a situation in which an ape demon is leaping into the air to knock a vampire out of a Poylmorphed T-rex’s jaws who is flying 120 feet above the ground.
    Amazing Avatar by Smutmulch

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

"I doubt Zarron will try to kill us when he can't win the fight" Ghiso pointed out, though he still kept a hand near the weapon. Possessed Zarron could still try something- meanwhile he backed away from the glyphs.
    "We should go back to the skeleton room and rest- we got hurt. Plus-" he looked at Lana "One of us might need some time for herself. I'm not sure what it was that you lost... But I'm sorry to hear that" he looked back at the sludge.

Show
    Investigate (1d20+6)[7] to discern anything remaining of Lana's pendant.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Taara stepped back from Lana. "Do you need time to yourself?" she asked, half-embarrassed that she might have been smothering her. "Or would you prefer that I sit with you?"
    Wow, i can’t believe it, WotC actually made the rules compatible for a situation in which an ape demon is leaping into the air to knock a vampire out of a Poylmorphed T-rex’s jaws who is flying 120 feet above the ground.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Lana looked confused, then remembered that she was sad a minute ago. "Oh! Right. Um... no, I'd rather have you with me."
    Show

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

"Okay, Okay." Taara stepped close again. "Just let me know if you want me to leave you alone, um, when you want me to."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Lana smiled and kissed Taara on the cheek, then looked at Zarron to see how the shooting went.
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Zarron's bolt flies towards the statue but when it is about to cross the outermost circle some of the runes glow and a gust of wind springs up from the ground throwing the bolt into the ceiling.

Maybe the statue moved slightly, or perhaps it was just a trick of the light.
    "Time is an abstract concept created by carbon-based life-forms to monitor their ongoing decay." - Thunderclese

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Zarron viciously mocks the statue for being a coward, and then joins the group as they take a short rest. They've taken real damage and Zarron is more than a little guilty at the injuries sustained by Ghiso and Lana, which they wouldn't have gotten had he not so cavalierly strolled into a room occupied by the ooze.

He tries to find Cailenam to request the cleric to mend his broken ten foot pole.
    Last edited by Zergrinch; 2020-09-28 at 11:53 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Ghiso unsheated his sword, resisting the urge to throw Zarron in and close the door.
    "Why are we triggering the obvious traps again?" he asked tiredly, waiting as far as possible for any further effect. If his theory of keeping something in was correct, Zarron probably freed it.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Taara watches the statue for a moment before following after Lana and the others back to the skeleton dog room. She goes to find Cailenam, who she gets her turquoise back from before suddenly hugging him and letting him go on his way. Pocketing it and noting that she should go find another smith or somebody who can make what she wants with it, she returned to Lana and leaned her head on her shoulder.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

After Zarron casts his spell one of the circles flairs briefly but nothing appears to happen to the statue.

Show
    Ghiso can make a fresh roll to decipher the Sandwiched Circle now that he has seen it in action to know exactly what it is, but you can probably guess the basics.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Ghiso studied the circle briefly before joining the others.

Show
    Arcana (1d20+6)[11]

Short rest (1d10+2)[9]
    (1d6)[4]
    Last edited by Valmark; 2020-09-29 at 11:00 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Zarron whips out his pan flute and softly plays a subdued tune, reflecting his own personal frustrations.

(1d8+2)[4] Hit dice usage
    (1d6)[5] Song of Rest
    Now Playing

Zarron Gemblossom (Half-Elf Bard): IC | OOC
    Zuu Greenbrook (Half-Elf Warlock 7): IC | OOC

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Taara takes a power nap with her head on Lana's lap during the short rest.

Then, she goes to the door and waits for everyone to be ready.
    Last edited by Gluteus_Maximus; 2020-09-30 at 09:39 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    Okay I have one second level slot, my wild shapes, and my Spirit totem let's do this.

Lana sang another happy song while stroking Taara's hair and followed her, driftwood shield in hand. Because she still had that.
    But not her anchor.
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

After waiting for 3 days a few minutes for Ghiso and Zarron to get ready Taara starts heading up the stairs, confident Lana was following her.

Show
    Headed to the third floor. We cleared the second floor, yeah?
    Last edited by Gluteus_Maximus; 2020-10-04 at 02:50 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Zarron follows but hangs back, still nursing the bruises he got from the ooze. This was all his fault - he didn't look closely enough and he and his companions paid the price, especially the genasi's loss of substantially all her possessions and mementos that the young bard was particularly guilty about.

Having ruminated on what was protecting the clay statue in the last room, the curious bard turns to Ghiso. "So, Mr. Ghiso," Zarron says, trying to break the awkward silence, "there was a wind wall and a teleportation circle in that last room, and I'm not sure what was in between that. Why would they put so much protection around a clay statue?"
    Last edited by Zergrinch; 2020-10-05 at 09:37 PM.
    Now Playing

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    Yes, the second floor is clear.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

"I bet the third floor is the one where they kept all the nice things that won't hurt us!" Lana said. From anyone else it might have been sarcastic.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Zarron raises an eyebrow, but says nothing. He does, however, obsessively keep his dancing lights turned on and shining directly on the walls ahead to suss out any more evil oozes.
    Now Playing

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Taara stays close to Lana but also towards the front as they go up the stairs, giggling at what Lana says. "Yes, after the bad things that do not hurt us, the bad things that hurt us, and the good things that do hurt us, maybe that is next."

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

"When have we found the bad things that don't hurt us? And the good things that hurt us?" Ghiso asked sword and shield in hand, staying in the front regardless of his not stellar condition.

Show
    Perception! (1d20-1)[18]
    Last edited by Valmark; 2020-10-09 at 12:54 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

On the third floor stair landing there is a wall to your right, a counter hugging the outer wall of the tower, and around the curve to your left is a closed door.

On the counter there are still some odds and ends, flasks and vials remining in stands, there are a dozen that are still full though the labels are faded and illegible. There are some wooden crates underneath containing dusty glassware, some broken. It looks like this was once a laboratory of some kind.

Spoiler: Detect Magic
    Show
    With detect magic going you see that 5 of the vials/flasks have faint auras: Transmutation (2), Evocation (1), Abjuration (1), and Conjuration (1). You also feel the strong source of magic from behind you in the bartizan.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Lana knocked on the wall, listening to see if the wall was really what it seemed to be. Granted, she wasn't super familiar with what stone sounded like above water.
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Zarron shines the dancing lights over every last nook and cranny to ensure there aren't any oozes lying in wait. He also pokes at the walls with his six foot pole.
    Now Playing

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Taara stayed near Lana and kept watch for movement.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    perception: (1d20+5)[8]