New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Darksalker PC

1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Darksalker PC

When you hide, creatures with blindsense, blindsight, scent, or tremorsense must make a Listen check or a Spot check (whichever DC is higher) to notice you, just as sighted creatures would make Spot checks to detect you. You cannot hide in plain sight unless you have that ability as a class feature. In addition, you can fl ank creatures that have the all-around vision special quality.

Here's the scenario. I have a darkslaker pc that was in a cave with 6 Hook Horrors. They have blindsight so can made a Spot or Listen check. PC rolls 34 for hide. I say roll make move silent check to oppose the Hook Horror's listen check. Player rolls an 8 for his move silently check. Player says well you, Mr. DM have to roll against his hide check not his move silently check because his DC roll for hide is higher. I tell the player that I, the monster use MY DC roll, not his to find him. So if I beat his both 34 or 8 check, I would use my 34 to spot him first although both beat his DC. But he's saying that I would only use his Hide DC because its higher. We disagree on who's DC we use for me to spot him. I say its the "creatures" DC roll to find the player. DC for my listen or my spot.. I'm correct on this?
    Last edited by alex1g; 2020-09-28 at 08:49 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Darksalker PC

The player is correct in this situation. The darkstalker feat states that the creature must make a "Listen check or a Spot check (whichever DC is higher) to notice you". The DC is equal to his move silently/hide check respectively. So in this instance his hide check is higher so that is the DC they have to beat using their spot check.

That is how I interpret the feat, I could be wrong on this and I am not 100% sure I parsed your question correctly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazuki View Post
    ...Silva, you are a scary person.
    Awesome Avatar by Derjuin

My Homebrew: Here
    The Necromantic Codex: A collection of necromancy classes, items and monsters.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

That doesn't make sense. Just because he beats my Spot Check he still has to try and not make noise. You're saying because he beats my Spot check, he can make all the noise he wants?? He has to make his Spot and Listen check. The 34 doesn't negate the need to not make noise.
    Last edited by alex1g; 2020-09-28 at 08:45 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

smile Re: Darksalker PC

Quote Originally Posted by alex1g View Post
    That doesn't make sense. Just because he beats my Hide Check he still has to try and not make noise. You're saying because he beats my hide check, he can make all the noise he wants?? He has to make his Spot and Listen check. The 34 doesn't negate the need to not make noise.
    That's how it normally works, but Darkstalker overrides that. It's a REALLY good feat.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Conceptually Darkstalker merges Hide and Move Silently in a Stealth skill instead that you roll twice. So that massive Hide check does indicate he is being quiet, just in a roundabout way.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by alex1g View Post
    That doesn't make sense. Just because he beats my Hide Check he still has to try and not make noise. You're saying because he beats my hide check, he can make all the noise he wants?? He has to make his Spot and Listen check. The 34 doesn't negate the need to not make noise.
    So you're right, he does need to roll a move silently to avoid actually being heard, but his check prevents him from being pinpointed by their extraordinary senses. If they beat his move silently check, they know he's something is there, even if they don't know exactly what or where, and if they beat his move silently by more than 20, they can pinpoint which square he is in.

However, in the matter of being detected by their special senses, his 34 hide is the DC they must beat.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel7284 View Post
    That's how it normally works, but Darkstalker overrides that. It's a REALLY good feat.
    Darkstalker doesn't override the normal hide/move silently rules, it simply uses those skills in a new way to avoid being detected by special sesnes you otherwise would not be able to hide from. You still need to actually hide/move silently to avoid their normal senses.

That being said, he should technically roll separate hide/move silently checks for darkstalker and regular stealthing, so he might roll a worse hide check, and a better move silently check.
    Last edited by Crake; 2020-09-28 at 07:31 AM.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crake View Post
    So you're right, he does need to roll a move silently to avoid actually being heard, but his check prevents him from being pinpointed by their extraordinary senses. If they beat his move silently check, they know he's something is there, even if they don't know exactly what or where, and if they beat his move silently by more than 20, they can pinpoint which square he is in.

However, in the matter of being detected by their special senses, his 34 hide is the DC they must beat.

Darkstalker doesn't override the normal hide/move silently rules, it simply uses those skills in a new way to avoid being detected by special sesnes you otherwise would not be able to hide from. You still need to actually hide/move silently to avoid their normal senses.

That being said, he should technically roll separate hide/move silently checks for darkstalker and regular stealthing, so he might roll a worse hide check, and a better move silently check.
    I like this way of running it, but I'm not sure it's actually RAW. The wording of the feat is "must make a Listen check or a Spot check (whichever DC is higher) to notice you". It does not say those DCs apply to pinpointing.
    Excel sheet for 3.5 -- Native support for stacking rules and multiple forms; as lightweight as possible otherwise. (links currently broken, if you want a copy LMK)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rrwoods View Post
    I like this way of running it, but I'm not sure it's actually RAW. The wording of the feat is "must make a Listen check or a Spot check (whichever DC is higher) to notice you". It does not say those DCs apply to pinpointing.
    In context, I think it's pretty clear that it means to notice you with it's special senses, which are otherwise normally infallible.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crake View Post
    In context, I think it's pretty clear that it means to notice you with it's special senses, which are otherwise normally infallible.
    Agree; to me, that means that they can't use special senses to gain knowledge of whether you're present at all. But, having rolled their Spot/Listen to figure out where you are, the feat's text is silent on whether they can use their senses to pinpoint your square.

EDIT: I should also be clear on something: What "pinpoint" even means has always eluded me. IME trying to run stealth and perception by the book is somewhat of a nightmare anyway, and I generally (as a player and as a DM) end up in situations where we decide what things mean on a case-by-case basis based on what "makes sense", generally favoring the player to satisfy rule zero.
    Last edited by rrwoods; 2020-09-29 at 12:04 PM.
    Excel sheet for 3.5 -- Native support for stacking rules and multiple forms; as lightweight as possible otherwise. (links currently broken, if you want a copy LMK)