New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default D&D 5e Base Class Contest XII Voting Thread

This is the voting thread for the twelfth base class contest Hybrid Vigor. We had a better turnout this time than we have had in quite a while, which is cool.

The rules are simple. Vote for your top three picks, in order. You can't vote for yourself. A number 1 vote is worth 3 points, a number 2 vote is worth 2, and a number 3 vote is worth one. You can (and are encouraged) to vote even if you didn't submit an entry this time around.

You can also suggest or vote on what you would like the next contest's theme to be. Currently in the suggestion box are Dragons, Based in Science, Heroes from Myths, Partial Casters, Divine Judgment and Other Media, but don't feel as though you need to limit your suggestions to those themes; a larger pool means more options to vote on next time. I'm also going to allow votes for any theme that hasn't been used for at least six contests (so right now that adds Who Needs Sword or Sorcery, Terror, The Elements, Doesn't Meet Expectations, Chill Out, and Monster Mash). If you missed a contest or had another idea for a previous theme, you may get your chance again!

Entry Creator 1st 2nd 3rd
    Herald of Ragnarok sengmeng 0 1 1
    Feral BerzerkerUnit 0 0 0
    Enlightened Martial Artist theVoidWatches 1 2 0
    Witch MoleMage 4 0 0
    Duskblade Edea 0 1 1
    Occultist Fnissalot 0 2 2
    Knight Enchanter Crim the Cold 0 0 0
    Masquerade Lanth Sor 0 0 0
    Fallen Champion GreatWyrmGold 1 0 2

The voting period will be three weeks, ending at the end of the day on October 18th. The following day I will tally these results and declare a winner. For the curious, the tiebreakers I will be using are:

1st tiebreaker is whether both participants voted. If one did not, they lose the tie.
    2nd tiebreaker is total number of 1st place votes. The entry which got more 1st place votes will win the tie.
    There is no 3rd tiebreaker. If both entrants voted and both entries reached their total score with the same number of 1st place votes, the tie will stand.
    Last edited by MoleMage; 2020-10-19 at 04:57 PM.
    Currently operating the 5e Subclass Contest and the 5e Base Class Contest. Check them out if even just to vote or give feedback, we love that in there.

Spoiler
    Show

My DMsGuild content. Most of it was written with feedback from right here on the forums.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: D&D 5e Base Class Contest XII Voting Thread

1 - Witch (MoleMage)
    2 - Occultist (Frissalot)
    3 - Fallen Champion (GreatWyrmGold)

Theme Vote - Based In Science
    "Come play in the darkness with me."
    Thanks for the avatar, banjo1985!

Spoiler
    Show

I guess I'm a Neutral Good Human Wizard (4th Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength- 14
    Dexterity- 15
    Constitution- 17
    Intelligence- 20
    Wisdom- 20
    Charisma- 12
    Take the 'What D&D Character am I?" Quiz!

Somehow I doubt the veracity of this quiz :P
    Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

1 - Witch (MoleMage)
    2 - Duskblade (Edea)
    3 - Occultist (Frissalot)

Theme Vote - Based In Science
    Last edited by Old Harry MTX; 2020-10-02 at 10:13 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

1. Witch (MoleMage)
    2. Enlightened Martial Artist (theVoidWatches)
    3. Herald of Ragnarok (sengmeng)

Theme Vote: Heroes from Myths, mostly because Based In Science is going strong without me.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blade Wolf View Post
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Winner of Villainous Competitions 8 and 40; silver for 32
    Fanfic

Pixel avatar by me! Other avatar by Recaiden.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

PirateCaptain

1.) Enlightened Martial Artist - I really just like the concept and mechanics after re-reading it.
    2.) Herald of Ragnarok - The miracle system made this a very close 2nd. Like enlightened martial artist just barely nosed in ahead of it.
    3.) The Occultist - Supernatural detectives or operators. Do I need a better reason?

Theme Vote - I'd like to suggest Breakfast Cereal Mascots (my kids wanted to be Captain Crunch and Tony the Tiger in a game, my wife joined in with the Leprechaun from Lucky Charms) If that doesn't gain any traction then my second preference is The Elements. Hopefully the theme vote is an STV type vote.
    Last edited by Crim the Cold; 2020-10-12 at 11:11 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

1) Witch
    2) Occultist
    3) Fallen Champion
    Hi, you can call me Void. I prefer she/her or they/them pronouns, please. Yes, "they" is a singular pronoun. I write a superhero webserial called Paternum - check it out!

PEACH My 5e Homebrew, including...

Yet Another Warlock Rewrite (on GiantITP) Playtested Once!

Lycanthrope Base Class (on GiantITP) Contest Winner!

Vampire Base Class (on GiantITP) Full Class!

Inspiration Domain (On GiantITP) In Playtest!

Skinwalker Ranger Subclass (on GiantITP) Silver Medalist!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

1st: Fallen Champion: I didn't have time to give this one a proper review, but I probably wouldn't have had much to add if I had. It also carries its own style distinct from either source class, which I found intriguing.
    2nd: Enlightened Martial Artist: The unique subclass mechanic is what sells it for me; the idea that you can build multiple specializations is really cool and unique. It also has a clear identity while retaining ties to its source classes.
    3rd: Duskblade: Like the previous two you gave it its own identity which is a big step in a contest like this. Despite that it borrowed a lot of mechanics (especially in its subclasses) when I would like to see more unique features. Still, a solid class especially coming from 3.5 for the first time.

Spoiler: Remaining classes
    Show

4th: Occultist: I really enjoy the flavor and features of this class, but I think that their limited access to spells was weaker than it needed to be. The only thing holding them up after their Ambition slot and Channel Occult is Warding Prep, and even that is taxed by a couple of other features (like turning non-rituals into rituals or regaining Channel), so its charges will disappear pretty quick. This is the only remaining class that I will give an actual rank to, because it was almost in my top three.

Other classes and my very brief feedback in order of submission
    I am hard pressed to put these in a specific order; overall they all have good parts and bad parts.

Herald of Ragnarok: The Herald also has a unique design, but my concern with it is that its flavor is almost overly narrow. While I love the Norse thematics and the features do reflect those, the class is restricted to using one of a handful of relatively poor weapon choices (the spear isn't even martial). It's very cool, but a less restrictive warrior-priest design would work better as a Base Class (I miss prestige classes if only for this reason).

Feral: Its identity is clear, but its features are a little everywhere. For example, getting astral projection makes sense for monks because they're attuned with inner self and that's a power commonly associated with mysticism. The Feral gets plane shift seemingly just because its monk root class got an extraplanar ability. Sight Beyond Sight is an example of the opposite, making perfect sense for the class (someone raised by a constantly dangerous environment would be preternaturally alert, and this reflects that). More of its features reflecting the class's identity instead of being there because Monk/Ranger got it would have been cooler.

Duskblade: Duskblade has a unique identity in its flavor and most of its core class features, but it falls into two traps that hold it back. First, most of new its features are limited to improving Stealth and Perception, which invalidates the primary form of player choice in 5e class design (well, that and spellcasting). Second, about half of its subclass features are simple clones of other classes. While a handful of features in 5e are shared (Extra Attack, Evasion and Unarmored Defense the primary ones), most classes and almost every subclass have their own unique spin on things. It would rank a lot higher if it was more flexible about player choice and got some new innovations in those features.

Knight Enchanter: It's cool and feels like its own thing, but the enchanting mechanics are a little outside the 5e paradigm and after hearing your intent for their function from feedback I worry that they permanent ones might be too powerful while simultaneously the active ones are too weak. The Magical Techniques mechanic also feels a little disconnected from the rest of the class.

Masquerade: It feels incomplete (at least two sentences end halfway through) and the mask mechanics are just long enough that I could fill in the gaps, but I'd rather the gaps be covered. It also only has two features of its own (three if you count the stealing of other classes' features). Something with a little bit more oomph to it would have been nice (imagine if instead of just cloning features at X level each class had one or more masks themed after it that almost, but not quite captured a feature. I would really like to see a version of this that's got more on its own side of things.

Theme: I'd like to revisit Monster Mash myself. Maybe try Mind Flayers.
    Last edited by MoleMage; 2020-10-18 at 06:50 PM.
    Currently operating the 5e Subclass Contest and the 5e Base Class Contest. Check them out if even just to vote or give feedback, we love that in there.

Spoiler
    Show

My DMsGuild content. Most of it was written with feedback from right here on the forums.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Time to tally these votes:

In 3rd place, our bronze medalist, we have that detective with the magic touch, it's Fnissalot's Occultist, earning 6 total points!

In 2nd place, our silver medalist, we have that ascetic with the super powered punches, it's theVoidWatches's Enlightened Martial Artist, earning 7 total points!

And the 1st place winner, earning 12 total points, it's MoleMage's Witch! For when you need to mix poisoning and spellcasting, look no further.

Our theme votes were pretty spread out, with 2 for Based in Science, 1 for Heroes from Myths, 1 for the new category of Breakfast Cereal Mascots, and 1 for Monster Mash II. Based in Science wins by dint of being the only choice that had multiple votes, so I will get the new contest and discussion threads up momentarily. Good job everyone, we had more entries and more completion in each entry than we've had in the last several contests!

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Detailed Placement:

1. Witch (MoleMage, 12)
    2. Enlightened Martial Artist (theVoidWatches, 7)
    3. Occultist (Fnissalot, 6)
    4. Fallen Chamion (GreatWyrmGold, 5)
    5. Duskblade & Herald of Ragnarok (Edea & sengmeng, 3)
    7. Knight Enchanter, Feral, & Masquerade (Crim the Cold, BerzerkerUnit, & Lanth Sor; 0)

Congratulations to everyone who participated!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blade Wolf View Post
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Winner of Villainous Competitions 8 and 40; silver for 32
    Fanfic

Pixel avatar by me! Other avatar by Recaiden.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

Daemon

Somehow I got the impression voting was extended to Nov 1. Apologies for missing it :[