New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Dresden Files Book 17: Battle Ground

Just finished reading it and I will just say awesome does not begin to describe it.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Dresden Files Book 17: Battle Ground

Have to agree. My copy came in at 11:00pm last night. I was done by 1 am.

The obvious:

Spoiler: HUGE spoilers. You have been warned.
    Show
    They killed Murphy? And not even in an epic fight, but because Rudolph can't hold it together and shoots her?!? This broke my heart.

Marcone is paired with Thorned Namshiel. Well, now we know what happened to at least one of the missing coins in Small Favor. Unanswered question: How long after SF did he actually take up the coin? If TN is working a true pairing with Marcone, then Marcone just became at least an order of magnitude more dangerous.

Chicago (at least) now knows the supernatural world is real. It will be interesting to see how things fall out from that.

Harry is no longer a member of the White Council. I have to admit, while they are wrong (so far) I can see their logic, and it's hard to argue against it if we didn't have knowledge that they didn't.
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

I have so many thoughts, and then more thoughts, and things to say but it's all a bit numb right now.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Murphy thing seems off, yea being in Valhalla is cool but considering she seemed to have other ideas about afterlives in her life I'm surprised she didn't go through the door. I wonder if she got to meet her dad at least since we know he is out there doing dead cop stuff.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

A fantastic read that more than made up for the lackluster feel of Peace Talks.
    Spoiler
    Show

This was a nonstop succession of The Cavalry Has Arrived, like that one scene in The Two Towers repeated on loop for an hour.

So, I wasn't surprised Murphy died at all myself, though that was mostly because I'm cynical enough to assume anyone Harry hooks up with will die or disappear from the story. He's just not allowed to be happy, and being with Murph would have grounded him too much. So as soon as there was hints of them becoming a couple at the end of Skin Game, I knew she was a goner.

Hendricks actually hurt more in the moment, because he was a surprise.

The Einherjaren thing for them both also feels off, though the 'until everyone who knew her is gone' clause thrown in to prevent her from re-entering the story' felt more arbitrary than anything. I was expecting her to end up with Jack Murphy in Between, or possibly replacing him if his unfinished business was watching over her.

I also noticed that his year of mourning, and the year it will take for Listens-To-Wind to convince "them" to spill the beans to Harry about the whole Starborn meta-plot, conveniently line up neatly for exciting things to happen. But that'll be next book.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    A fantastic read that more than made up for the lackluster feel of Peace Talks.
    Spoiler
    Show

This was a nonstop succession of The Cavalry Has Arrived, like that one scene in The Two Towers repeated on loop for an hour.

So, I wasn't surprised Murphy died at all myself, though that was mostly because I'm cynical enough to assume anyone Harry hooks up with will die or disappear from the story. He's just not allowed to be happy, and being with Murph would have grounded him too much. So as soon as there was hints of them becoming a couple at the end of Skin Game, I knew she was a goner.

Hendricks actually hurt more in the moment, because he was a surprise.

The Einherjaren thing for them both also feels off, though the 'until everyone who knew her is gone' clause thrown in to prevent her from re-entering the story' felt more arbitrary than anything. I was expecting her to end up with Jack Murphy in Between, or possibly replacing him if his unfinished business was watching over her.

I also noticed that his year of mourning, and the year it will take for Listens-To-Wind to convince "them" to spill the beans to Harry about the whole Starborn meta-plot, conveniently line up neatly for exciting things to happen. But that'll be next book.
    Again, to me...

Spoiler
    Show
    It's not so much Murph dying. It's how she died. As far as meaningless deaths go, this one ranks up there. Unless he got killed Harry was always going to outlive her by centuries. But this death hurts more because of how pointless it was.

I do admit, I'll miss Hendricks, Wild Bill and Yukie (the latter two I know as much through comics as the books).

Molly came out to her dad, and discovered he already knew about her new job.

Brings up something else....

Spoiler: Brief Cases
    Show
    Molly can't have sex (at a minimum no intercourse, and possibly nothing). Is it just me or does this throw what Maeve offered Harry into a whole new light?

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tomandtish View Post
    Have to agree. My copy came in at 11:00pm last night. I was done by 1 am.

The obvious:

Spoiler: HUGE spoilers. You have been warned.
    Show
    They killed Murphy? And not even in an epic fight, but because Rudolph can't hold it together and shoots her?!? This broke my heart.

Marcone is paired with Thorned Namshiel. Well, now we know what happened to at least one of the missing coins in Small Favor. Unanswered question: How long after SF did he actually take up the coin? If TN is working a true pairing with Marcone, then Marcone just became at least an order of magnitude more dangerous.

Chicago (at least) now knows the supernatural world is real. It will be interesting to see how things fall out from that.

Harry is no longer a member of the White Council. I have to admit, while they are wrong (so far) I can see their logic, and it's hard to argue against it if we didn't have knowledge that they didn't.
    Spoiler: to answer
    Show
    She got at least one more cool moment before getting killed for the time being. And her not getting killed by the titan works for me.

Looks like he used the coin for some time now. At least for working out the relationship between them.
    And they seem to have a equal partnership for now.

Regarding the White Council. Not a surprise with the than active Members of the Senior Council. Timing is everything. As soon as the blocking people were not able to vote Harry was gone.
    That they left him hanging so he chose the least bad option and that he saved McCoy doing it, they not surprisingly ignored as usual.
    The next meeting between Harry and a Wizard will be interesting. Seeing how Ramirez now regards him, most of the rest of them may get openly hostil to him.
    Last edited by lowfyr; 2020-09-30 at 03:11 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    I honestly think the White Council is going to implode here in the next couple of books. Theyre surrendering too much control here, taking too much attrition. They arent protecting the minor practitioners of the Paranet, that was Harry and co mostly. They arent looking out for their own members now, but rather tossing them to the wolves when it gets inconvenient. They gave Harry a job, and then went behind his back when he was busy doing the job they gave him and kicked him out for doing the job. Maybe its Nemesis being stuck in the heads of some of the members, but honestly it seems like the wizards are just legitimately stupid. In that light, its no wonder that most of the rest of the supernatural community regards them as being idiots with a dangerous weapon.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

I think so too. And I see no one able to stop that. Not the Merlin for sure.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Great Read. More later but

Spoiler: Spoiler
    Show

The Justine thing? It breaks my heart. The true love that drove Thomas through most of the series was fake. In fact, I'm surprised that didn't mess up the various White Court powers. Think about how many plot points Justine was involved with over the past, what 12 books (plus several side books) None of that was her.

Murphy was well done, IMO, but utterly not a surprise. I think the whole point to her going out that way was well made.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sloanzilla View Post
    Great Read. More later but

Show

The Justine thing? It breaks my heart. The true love that drove Thomas through most of the series was fake. In fact, I'm surprised that didn't mess up the various White Court powers. Think about how many plot points Justine was involved with over the past, what 12 books (plus several side books) None of that was her.

Murphy was well done, IMO, but utterly not a surprise. I think the whole point to her going out that way was well made.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Worse, it wasnt fake. Thomas and the other White Court vamps still couldnt touch Justine without suffering. Its only acts of true mutual love that inflict pain. Its really unclear how much active control a Nemesis agent takes when they infect somebody as a sleeper, but Cat Sith's infection implied that the original being's consciousness and personality are still there, as did Maeve's.

Something that struck me is that the Nemesis infection, which causes beings to act against their nature, may have actually been responsible for Justine's seemingly full recovery from Thomas' near lethal feeding of her. That was never really given any explanation that i can recall other than just being odd.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Wow. I must be the only one that found Battleground enormously disappointing. I'll go into detail about that later; maybe I need to do a re-read first to see what I'm missing that everyone else sees.

12. - Top - End - #12

DwarfClericGuy

I feel like he took some risks and they mostly paid off. I need to do a slower read as well, as I hit a couple points where I think I missed something.

Show
    I thought Justine was a captive of Demonreach now until the final chapter. Didn't Alfred grab her?

One interesting thing I noticed is that there are basically NO badass normal characters left now. Hendricks and Murph are dead. Marcone is a half demon. Justine is possessed. I'd always kind of liked the idea of a few characters finding a way to survive in the magical world, even without magic, but that no longer seems to be the case. Also, isn't Marcone's Demon allied with Nemesis?

I just wish Harry and Ivy had had one conversation!

I'm also confused about Butters' sword. I thought it only cut through evil monsters....but he also used it to cut down a bridge?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

I feel like he took some risks and they mostly paid off. I need to do a slower read as well, as I hit a couple points where I think I missed something.

Show
    I thought Justine was a captive of Demonreach now until the final chapter. Didn't Alfred grab her?

One interesting thing I noticed is that there are basically NO badass normal characters left now. Hendricks and Murph are dead. Marcone is a half demon. Justine is possessed. I'd always kind of liked the idea of a few characters finding a way to survive in the magical world, even without magic, but that no longer seems to be the case. Also, isn't Marcone's Demon allied with Nemesis?

I'm also confused about Butters' sword. I thought it only cut through evil monsters....but he also used it to cut down a bridge?

Spoiler
    Show
    Alfred can't imprison things without Harry binding them, that was kinda the whole plot of the book....

It could rough up the Walker and eject it forcibly from the island, but it's the jailer not the judge.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Show

Spoiler: spoiler
    Show
    Butter's sword can cut through nonliving objects just fine, save for the other Swords. Its specifically mortal flesh it ignores, and even that isn't universal, as it burned Harry when he was attacking Rudolph.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Spoiler: spoiler
    Show
    Butter's sword can cut through nonliving objects just fine, save for the other Swords. Its specifically mortal flesh it ignores, and even that isn't universal, as it burned Harry when he was attacking Rudolph.
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's not so much mortal flesh, as good people. When Harry was in the middle of trying to murder Rudolph, he was giving in to Winter and becoming less human and distinctly less good. The sword burning him then was a warning, that he was turning himself into one of the things it stands against.

Winter can't force Harry to change, but it can exploit his weaknesses to get him to change himself. He nearly did then.

16. - Top - End - #16

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Alfred can't imprison things without Harry binding them, that was kinda the whole plot of the book....

It could rough up the Walker and eject it forcibly from the island, but it's the jailer not the judge.
    Show
    Well, I mean Alfred beats up Walker, then Harry Imprisons, etc. Anyhow, I found that chapter to be a little confusing!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Show

Spoiler
    Show

I don't think Justine even went ashore on Demonreach. Harry had told her that she would be OK as long as he arrived with her, but then when he figured out she had been possessed, he bailed off the boat. Harry wasn't prepared to bind Nemesis, so he knew that Alfred would expel Justine if she went ashore. It's possible that she went ashore and was ejected, but more likely she just bugged out to the south end of Lake Michigan and abandoned the boat.

As for no badass normal characters being left, yeah, that was actually one of my problems with the book. There are a few characters who would qualify if they were given more focus--Bradley would seem to fit the part, maybe Nick Christian or Vince Graver if we ever see them again, Rawlins certainly if he plays a bigger role in the future, and Riley. Given the upcoming forced marriage of Harry to Lara, I'd guess that Riley would be the best bet to play a bigger part going forward.
    Last edited by dps; 2020-10-01 at 06:01 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    There's the Men In Black we haven't seen anything of, which are probably mostly mortal. Going back a few books, there's that FBI agent from Changes, I always felt like he was being set up for something. Plus the surviving Defenders of Chicago, though I don't remember if Randy was killed.

19. - Top - End - #19

DwarfClericGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    oh yeah, and there was basically confirmation that Mac is a Watcher Angel

20. - Top - End - #20
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tomandtish View Post
    Spoiler: Brief Cases
    Show
    Molly can't have sex (at a minimum no intercourse, and possibly nothing). Is it just me or does this throw what Maeve offered Harry into a whole new light?
    [/SPOILER]
    Spoilered because the question was.

Spoiler: Maeve
    Show
    Not particularly. Harry was getting warned constantly that people would be looking to trip him up so they could legally gut him. Maeve taking him out via whatever her mantle's self-defense condition is would have just been chalked up to that. "Shame about the Winter Knight, if only he'd been more of a gentleman."

Spoiler: Battle Grounds
    Show
    On one hand, fully expected to lose Murphy. On the other hand, didn't quite expect her to lose her like this. On the octokong's hand, I think it actually makes a certain kind of sense. Killing Murphy in a fight might have actually robbed some of the drama from it. We've been steadily watching her lose ground to the rest of the cast, but she didn't quite have Michael's willingness to hang up the sword. Whereas this actually gives a bit more punch to us finally losing her.
    Basilisk 6
    Pilot of the Thing

I'm not evil. My morals just aren't the same as society's.

On a one man quest to beat the Star Wars Universe, using nothing but simple, plain, ordinary logic. Score so far: Me 593 SWU 450

21. - Top - End - #21

DwarfClericGuy

Show
    To be kind of cold blooded, I felt like Butcher has been itching to move on from Murphy for a few books now, what with the nearly constant Lara shiptease. He needed an emotional punch in this one. Thomas was no longer an option. He's also been wanting to reinforce the "humans are still the biggest threat" thing, AND give Harry a morality test, so the nature of her death probably met multiple goals.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Battlegrounds
    Show

............Okay. Read it.

That was.....a lot of things that happened. things that I'm still processing.

geez Jim, like did you set out to live up to your last name in this book or something? did you just wake up one day and decide "y'know I'm named Jim Butcher, lets make the name fitting and just display death in all its gruesome forms constantly, shockingly and as large amounts as possible" I mean I know.....WAR but man was a lot things that happened, and Murphy's DEAD. Murphy who has been there from the beginning is just.....dead.

and that whole Ethniu fight was like so long and so many powerful people getting slapped around one after another....truly an epic mythology fight, I think the only way you could visualize the whole thing would be an anime fight, because that is what it felt like. Ethniu might as well have been Freeza, Madara or Father from FMA with way she took on basically everyone and the army they brought with them.

and of course Marcone doesn't die because he is a hell knight now. no justice in this world.

Justine turns out to be possessed by a cthulhu monster. and is pregnant and probably imprisoned by demonreach. Ouch.

then Harry gets set to be married off to Lara while Murphy's grave is still fresh. Oucher.

and just to add insult to injury, the White council has finally voted off Harry and now he is longer apart of their organization. Oucherer. Michael even swears like a sailor in a dozen different languages over it. What.

So um the results of all this:
    -Thomas is imprisoned with no known way to treat him
    -Justine is either imprisoned or somewhere else
    -Murphy is DEAAAAAAAD
    -Harry will be Lara's husband in one year's time. thus he has followed in his mothers footsteps entirely.
    -White Council are more against Harry than ever
    -despite it all the authorities are STILL trying to cover this up.
    -oh and apparently Dracula's dad is a thing and got out alive. GREAT.
    -lots of death
    -basically the only good thing that come out of any of this was that Maggie and the Carpenters still live and world still functions. everything else either got worse or failed to be solved at all.

on the bright side in the christmas short story.....Harry got a mug that reminds him of his father and Maggie.....got an Elsa Ring. complete with the song. hooraaaay...? saddest Let it Goooooo.....
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Spoiler: Battlegrounds
    Show

Justine is either imprisoned or somewhere else

Well, in fairness, you could say that about almost anyone.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dps View Post
    Well, in fairness, you could say that about almost anyone.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Didnt Lara confirm Justine got away at the end? Theres no mention she may be imprisoned on the island

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    It occurred to me that Drakul identifying himself as a starborn might help nail down the timeline, but according to Wikipedia he was born "before 1395", and thus Harry would be born before 2061, which I'm pretty sure we already knew. This does suggest that Drakul was likely already a blampire before his historical "life", though.
    I made a webcomic, featuring absurdity, terrible art, and alleged morals.

26. - Top - End - #26

DwarfClericGuy

Spoiler: Crackpot spoiler theory for crackpots
    Show
    What if Chandler is the British gentleman beneath Demonreach? He was teleported to another time and place and became super evil and powerful. I know the only evidence is that they are both British, but that would be kind of cool.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Spoiler: Crackpot spoiler theory for crackpots
    Show
    What if Chandler is the British gentleman beneath Demonreach? He was teleported to another time and place and became super evil and powerful. I know the only evidence is that they are both British, but that would be kind of cool.
    Personally,
    Spoiler
    Show
    I've figured it was the original Merlin, though why he would speak with a modern British accent doesn't really fit, I suppose.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleBison View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    It occurred to me that Drakul identifying himself as a starborn might help nail down the timeline, but according to Wikipedia he was born "before 1395", and thus Harry would be born before 2061, which I'm pretty sure we already knew. This does suggest that Drakul was likely already a blampire before his historical "life", though.

Spoiler
    Show
    Harry Dresden is stated to be 37 in Cold Days. In Small Favor, Harry mentions that Bob had been hounding him to see "that pirate movie", and became obsessed after he did. If they're referring to the first Pirates Of The Caribbean (as suggested by "that pirate movie" instead of "the newest pirate movie" (which would have been the third film in 2007)), that would suggest 2003. IIRC, each book between there and Cold Days suggests the events of the previous one as happening "last year". That would put Cold Days as 2007-2008, making Harry be born 1969-1971, and Drakul being from 1303-1305 if he was from the last generation of starborn.
    Last edited by Gnoman; 2020-10-02 at 05:36 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Murph
    Show
    I see a few of you are saying that the bit where she cant come back while anyone she knows is around is a cop out.

But that's not what the valkyrie said. "Not until the memory of her has faded from the minds of those who knew her."

She will be out of the picture for years, of course, but when the Stars& Stones book (Or Hell's Bells or Black Night) happens, she's totally coming back, out of nowhere.

Spoiler: Marcone
    Show
    It's too far back to look up easilly in my kindle, but when Molly brings dresden's cloak and tells him to get dressed, there's a locker room scene with dresden and marcone. I had spoiled myself enough to hear about Thorned Namshel, and that scene felt like Marcone making sure that if he gave in to the Fallen, if he became not his own man, that he had someone who would end the being he had become. Harry has had several people like that in his life.

Also, isnt Thorned Namashiel the one who ran off with all the coins? And suspected to be the one who invaded Arctus Tor in Proven Guilty? Suspected to be a Fallen with Nemisis?

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rakaydos View Post
    Spoiler: Murph
    Show
    I see a few of you are saying that the bit where she cant come back while anyone she knows is around is a cop out.

But that's not what the valkyrie said. "Not until the memory of her has faded from the minds of those who knew her."

She will be out of the picture for years, of course, but when the Stars& Stones book (Or Hell's Bells or Black Night) happens, she's totally coming back, out of nowhere.

Spoiler: Marcone
    Show
    It's too far back to look up easilly in my kindle, but when Molly brings dresden's cloak and tells him to get dressed, there's a locker room scene with dresden and marcone. I had spoiled myself enough to hear about Thorned Namshel, and that scene felt like Marcone making sure that if he gave in to the Fallen, if he became not his own man, that he had someone who would end the being he had become. Harry has had several people like that in his life.

Also, isnt Thorned Namashiel the one who ran off with all the coins? And suspected to be the one who invaded Arctus Tor in Proven Guilty? Suspected to be a Fallen with Nemisis?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Suspected, but not proven that he did Arctus Tor. Also, Namshiel apparently picked Harry's Pocket, but his body was slain so the Knights had his coin (so they thought). So the big question was who got the bag from Namshiel. Which probably explains Marcone.

There's a Jim approved timeline on his website here, with notes that somethings had to be fudged/retconned. There are obviously spoilers in the timeline itself, but Harry is born October 31. he's 25 years old at the beginning of Storm Front, and Peace Talks/Battlefront take place 14 years later.