New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Fractional Initiator level progression question

Hey so I'm making a homebrew class and I want to give it some maneuver capabilities but not to the point where they become its main focus. My first thought was giving it a reduced initiator level, kind of being to maneuvers what bard or paladins are to spellcasting. Since the level of maneuvers known are equal to initiator level, which by default is either equal to class level for martial adept classes and half class level for non martial adept classes, how would I figure out and write out a martial maneuver progression that results in the highest level maneuvers known being 6 (like a bard) or 4 (like a paladin)? Especially for the latter, it would effectively make levels of this theoretical class count as less than even none martial adept classes for multiclassing with other martial adept classes...not sure how to figure this one out. Any thoughts?
    Head Taker avatar created by the wonderful Smutmulch!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Fractional Initiator level progression question

You would just include a clause that it only advances IL at 1/2 speed. But this probably isn't something I would go for. The maneuvers will seem awkwardly stapled on to whatever the class's core gameplay is. Spells are easier to sprinkle on top of a class because they're per-day.
    Join the 3.5e Discord server: https://discord.gg/ehGFz6M3nJ

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Path of War has a special archetype maneuver progression, which you could borrow.
    My one piece of homebrew: The Shaman. A Druid replacement with more powerlevel control.
    The bargain bin- malfunctioning, missing, and broken magic items.
    Spirit Barbarian: The Barbarian, with heavy elements from the Shaman. Complete up to level 17.
    The Priest: A cleric reword which ran out of steam. Still a fun prestige class suitable for E6.
    The Coward: Not every hero can fight.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

A few homebrew classes have 3/4 progression. Tall tale (by Zaydos) with Martial Lore as an exaggerated skill and jack of all blades (by Tavar) both use that progression, if only temporarily in the tall tale's case.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Wow, I can't believe I've never even heard of Path of War until now, that's gonna be so helpful. Also great to see what other homebrewers have done with this. Thanks yall, this has been very helpful!
    Head Taker avatar created by the wonderful Smutmulch!