New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Worse Than the Disease IC

Sean Pires

"We'll be right here no problem. Could benefit from a medic and a hazardous waste type of guy, but otherwise we're fine. Bring in some spare [gas/diesel]* and don't go past the log. Blow horn instead, we'll greet you. Over."

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoot Da Moon View Post
    (OOC: Are you scavenging the workshop today or tomorrow?)
    Most of day 16. I'll add to the radio message on day 15 some short time today.
    Spoiler
    Show
    *Depending on what "our" car seem to eat.

We will strategically place the monkeys (have battaries for three of them) to be in effect until that truck arrives. I think these days we are not going anywhere much except for log placement (see below).

Sean will place a log (not necessarly large, just enough of it to be visible) across the road approaching the base to prevent accidental contact of the arriving personnel with the mine field.
    Last edited by u-b; 2021-01-07 at 07:12 AM.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ogre in the Playground

DAY 16

The next day is full of activity for the exiles.
    Sean spends 8 straight hours in the workshop, picking through the shelves and containers for anything that is useful.

The first 4 hours are less than encouraging - all he finds is 600 pounds of junk, mostly scrap metal. The stuff is everywhere, left to rust in the corners and crevices of the room.

His next big try is far more fruitful. Sean discovers a bunch of stuff buried under a desk. A large fire extinguisher (fully charged) and a multi-tool has been collecting dust in the dark.
    But the real prize is behind those items, in a smuggling space kept hidden under a loose floor tile. Opening up the case there reveals a Beattie M2-2 flamethrower, empty but in good condition.

(OOC: Mark off another 3 rations for everyone. Sean found;
    Junk worth $60 and weighing 600 lbs.
    Large fire extinguisher - $300, 20 lbs., High Tech page 29.
    Multi-Tool - $100, 0.5 lbs.
    Beattie M2-2 flamethrower - $14400 ($1800x8), 72 lbs., High Tech page 179.)
    Anachronism will never high-light the folly of my convictions!

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ettin in the Playground

Sean Pires

Determined to loot as much as he can before the rest of the people arrive, Sean constructs, in two yards from the door to the officer's quarters, a sort of improvised wall of cabinets, tables and other similar stuff with a narrow slit in it for the rifle. The contraption was meant to allow bracing the rifle at the lock's level and shelter the shooter from the possible ricochets. The line of fire is intended to be at an acute angle to the wall so that the bullet would hit the wall on a miss, not causing the damage beyond the door. Sean then takes the bayonet off the rifle for this shot, aims at the lock and pulls the trigger.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Ogre in the Playground

The rifle shot hits the lock dead on, wrecking it brutally. But the door still holds, and is still locked...

Until Sean applies the crowbar and forces the door open. The ruined lock cannot hope to stand against him, and gives way.

The room beyond is rather freshly aired and pleasantly decorated. A fine wooden desk (with locked drawers) is in one end of the room, and the rest is taken up by high quality furnishings, fit for a important military man. A small one-man bedroom and private bathroom is directly connected to the office. If someone has been living here, they've been living fairly well compared to the rest of the wastelanders.

Paintings of various pretty landscapes line the walls of the office.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ettin in the Playground

Sean Pires

This was going to be a long day, but Sean just could not resist searching the newly-opened office as best as he could.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ogre in the Playground

Worse Than the Disease

After eating his lunch, Sean does 4 hours of scavenging in the newly opened officer’s quarters. He forces open the drawers with his crowbar. He finds a lot of cool stuff!

Under and around the bed, Sean finds what may be the biggest pile of junk he has ever seen - it weighs 3,000 pounds in all!
    The first drawer he breaks open contains a bottle of 11 opioid pills. Why are there so many of these things lying around?
    The second drawer contains 10 MREs and 4 canned food tins.
    The third drawer contains another two of those medical nanomachines injectors, each filled with a dose of the strange concoction. Besides that are some more weird drugs; a single dose of some kind of injector drug (painted a lime green) and 6 doses of something called “Modafinil”.
    The fourth drawer contains 20 shots of flamethrower fuel stored in secure metal containers for napalm.
    The last drawer is full of bullets, all ready to fire - 10 rifle cartridges, 10 pistol rounds and 5 shotgun shells.

It is nighttime by the time he finishes. Time for dinner.

(OOC: Mark off 2 more rations for everyone, and get ready for the next day.)

7. - Top - End - #277
    Firbolg in the Playground

After most of a day's work in the workshop, machining a fresh barrel to replace the old broken one and replacing the firing mechanisms, emerging towards the end of the day proudly carrying a revolver which, while still clearly not brand new, was one he was pretty confident would work just fine - a theory he didn't test for now, aware of how the status of bullets out here meant that firing needlessly wasn't the best idea.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Ogre in the Playground

DAY 17

The exiles sleep well and wake up to a pleasant morning. No new message come in over the radio, nor is any chatter.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ettin in the Playground

Sean Pires

Sean gets up early and sets forth to make another sweeping pass of the base, looking in all sorts of places for things of value that might be still hidden therein.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ogre in the Playground

Starting at 4 AM and to 7 AM, Sean is collecting valuable loot in the barracks. In addition to 800 pounds of random junk cluttering up the place, he gathers a single MRE and 20 tin cans of food stuffed inside a mattress.

At 9 AM, he moves on to the infirmary. For 2 hours, he checks it out, and discovers a small backpack with a sleeping bag in it.

At 11 AM, Sean is in the radio room. By the end of his 2 hours of scavenging, he has found a shortsword left on top of a big machine.

Another hour of scavenging is spent in a side room full of cabinets. Sean gets nothing but 2500 pound of random junk for his trouble - trash discarded somewhere most people would never have to look.

Sean had meant to scavenge more, but the day got far more dramatic at that moment - 12 AM - as the sound of multiple cars pull up outside the base’s fences, interrupting everyone’s work.

(OOC: Everyone eats another ration for lunch. Everyone else must state what they're doing and where at 12 AM of Day 17.)

11. - Top - End - #281
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Tariq is going to spend the morning trying to scavenge some explosives from the mine field, taking his time and being careful. This may mean he's outside when the cars pull up.

(OOC: Do you want a straight Demolitions (EOD) roll, taking enough time to bring it up to skill 16?)

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GnomesofZurich2 View Post
    (OOC: Do you want a straight Demolitions (EOD) roll, taking enough time to bring it up to skill 16?)
    (OOC: That's correct. Please roll it if you haven't already.)

13. - Top - End - #283
    Ogre in the Playground

From his bed, Richard hears the sounds of vehicles pulling up.
    Tariq spots the cars first-hand as he is disarming landmines - there are three of them, four to a car. They are parked at the base's outskirts, except for two men on a motorcycle who have driven up to a nearby hilltop.
    From the second story window, Sean spies the squads of men carrying weapons, 50 yards away from the base doors. He can tell they are not here to talk...

(OOC: Critical failure on Tactics for the enemy.)
    One of the men getting out of a car steps on a landmine Tariq was saving until last, as it was set the furthest from the base. The explosion completely blindsides everyone, as one of the car is wrecked and the unfortunate gunman is vaporized. The other three men in the squad are dealt a punishing blow by the shockwave, knocking them down and out.

The other squads panic and scream as the sudden ear-splitting death interrupts their would-be assault.

(OOC: Every PC gets one free turn of action before COMBAT TIME starts properly. Also, note your Basic Speed while you do. All hands on deck.)

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ettin in the Playground

Sean Pires

Keeping his eyes on the newly arrived types and his body mainly behind the nearby wall, Sean opens* the window, hoping that the occuring commotion would prevent the attackers from paying too much of attention to the fact that it was not open to begin with. He's pretty sure they are attackers now: they are early, wrong number of cars, wrong type of cars and, most of all, wrong bahavior. "Grab the shotgun, Simone, but stay low for now." he whispers.

Spoiler
    Show
    *Or breaks, it does not seem to be designed to be opened.

Sean has 3 hit points and a speed of 3. He might do something about it some time soon, we'll see how it goes.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Shoot Da Moon View Post
    (OOC: That's correct. Please roll it if you haven't already.)
    (OOC: EOD rolls succeeds by 6)

How far is Tariq from the men? He is contemplating tossing a grenade their way.

16. - Top - End - #286

Richard was sitting on the bed when the engines and explosion alerted him to the trouble coming. He gets up, spotting the rifle beside the bed and the window that should give him an angle on the presumed attackers - if they're not, he can talk from there instead and try to defuse things, but he had a bad feeling that he wouldn't have the chance.

Spoiler
    Show

Change Posture to stand up for his free action, I suppose, although he's still going to need to ready the rifle and move up in combat time.

Given Richard isn't carrying his sack of stuff, so he's got his unencumbered combat load, giving him his full BS/BM of 6.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ogre in the Playground

d20 Re: Worse Than the Disease IC

Quote Originally Posted by u-b View Post
    Sean Pires
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sean has 3 hit points and a speed of 3. He might do something about it some time soon, we'll see how it goes.
    (OOC: I think you mean Basic Move of 3, not Basic Speed.)

Quote Originally Posted by GnomesofZurich2 View Post
    (OOC: EOD rolls succeeds by 6)

How far is Tariq from the men? He is contemplating tossing a grenade their way.
    (OOC: 25 yards from the men, 25 yards from the base doors.)

18. - Top - End - #288
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Tariq readies one of his black powder grenades.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Ogre in the Playground

COMBAT TIME STARTS

(OOC: Turn Order; Sean, Richard, Bad Guys, Sniper, Tariq, Simone, Lesser Bad Guys - MAKE SURE YOU POST ON TIME, don’t hold up the thread...)

The attackers seem determined to continue their assault on the radar base despite their very early losses. The exiles enter combat. Sean is the first to act.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Ettin in the Playground

Sean Pires

Still having his left side mostly behind the wall, Sean crouches to brace the rifle on the windowsill and aims at one of the guys near the cars, preferably the one with the biggest arm and no cover. "A sniper active." he says loud enough for Richard to hear.
    Last edited by u-b; 2021-01-11 at 02:43 AM.

21. - Top - End - #291

Continuing to move from the bed, Richard picks up his rifle from his pile of gear as he gets closer to the window. "Got it."

Spoiler
    Show

Readying the rifle. How close to the wall by the window do the two yard steps I've been able to take get me?
    Last edited by Volthawk; 2021-01-11 at 01:43 AM.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Volthawk View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Readying the rifle. How close to the wall by the window do the two yard steps I've been able to take get me?
    (OOC: The wall by the window is about 5 yards from where you were resting, I guess.)

The bad guys are still reacting to the land mine going off. The most heavily-armed of them Move away, behind cover, usually behind the cars.

The sniper squints through his scope...
    Last edited by Shoot Da Moon; 2021-01-11 at 02:22 AM.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Tariq seeks cover while lighting the fuse on his grenade.

Spoiler: OCC
    Show
    Ready maneuver, taking a step towards any available cover.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ogre in the Playground

Simone arms herself with the single shotgun and takes cover away from the windows, covering the entrance into the radio room near the top of the stairs.

Some of the less well-armed attackers make their way towards the base, braving the minefield (or simply ignorant of it). 6 men come 5 yards closer, as their commanders stay in cover behind the cars and fallen logs.

TURN 2

Sean acts next...
    Richard acts wth him...

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ettin in the Playground

Sean Pires

Sean curses under his breath. He makes a shot at the man he was targeting and takes cover behind the wall near the window.

26. - Top - End - #296

Richard runs the rest of the distance to the window, taking cover by the adjacent wall and starting to look for targets to shoot.

Spoiler
    Show
    Going to take an All-out Defence (Dodge) action to close those last three yards to cover, getting +2 dodge if anyone decides to take shots at Richard.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Ogre in the Playground

As the shot of Sean’s rifle goes off and goes wide, the men behind the car shout orders to each other. They seem to realise their prey is not going to be easy targets…
    Meanwhile, the sniper on the hilltop does not seem to recognise the chaos - he is above it all, in more ways than one.

Tariq is ready to act...

28. - Top - End - #298
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Tariq hurls his grenade at the biggest concentration of attackers.

Spoiler
    Show
    : I rolled 11 using effective skill 17 (13 + 4 for targeting a hex rather than a target) - range penalty of 6 or 7, so it is either a direct hit or a scatter by 1 yard.
    Last edited by GnomesofZurich2; 2021-01-12 at 12:35 PM.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ogre in the Playground

Simons gulps as she holds her position, shotgun trembling in her hands.

The lightly armed attackers wander further into the minefield. They attempt to move up another 5 yards...
    One steps on a mine and instantly becomes chunky red mist mixed up in an violent updraft of fire and dirt. To his side, two other raiders are hit by the shockwave and knocked down cold.

TURN 3

Both Sean and Richard find themselves unsure of their fighting chances...
    Last edited by Shoot Da Moon; 2021-01-13 at 12:20 AM.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Ettin in the Playground

Sean Pires

Still covered by the wall near the window, Sean hears an explosion. This sounds like another mine explosion, not a grenade that Tariq seemed to be preparing. Sean gets a nanomachine injector out of his pocket.