New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 50 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242540 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Worse Than the Disease IC

Sean Pires

Carefully, Sean approaches the site of explosion. Assuming the yellow chemical is not obviously effective on those wandering nearby and definitely avoiding a more close contact with it, Sean tries to search the deaders and then track them with their siege engine back to whence they come - maybe a car of some sort or other means of long-distance transportation.

Spoiler
    Show
    Presumably, the siege engine would be easy to track, especially on fresh deep snow.

2. - Top - End - #422
    Ogre in the Playground

The hilltop is a grisly scene. The dead bodies are mostly ripped apart. What remains hints of more raiders - a piece of a neck has the number 77 tattooed on it in black.

The catapult was on wheels. Following the tracks down the hill and around, Sean eventually finds the area they came from; a spot besides an old road. Looking at the ground, it seems there was a ramp put down from a van that drove away. Guess the explosion scared them off?
    Anachronism will never high-light the folly of my convictions!

3. - Top - End - #423
    Ettin in the Playground

Sean Pires

After looking around to have a better estimate of the unfortunate attackers' fleet of cars, Sean gets back to the base to report his findings. He does not mind trapping the hilltop again, maybe tomorrow, but he is not sure if they will fall for it ever again and he strongly recommends to avoid the contact with the unknown chemical.

Spoiler
    Show
    And I'd call it a day. Food spent.

4. - Top - End - #424
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

After hearing Sean's report, Tariq asks, "So what now? I get the impression these guys are just going to keep coming. They've got to be wary of the mines by now - I can make some more, and remine the hill and perhaps the trail up to it, but that might not be enough."

5. - Top - End - #425
    Ogre in the Playground

(OOC: Is Richard resting for the day? Is he still missing HP?)

6. - Top - End - #426
    Ogre in the Playground

Nothing else happens that night. The exiles go to sleep without a problem.
    (OOC: Mark off the meals you eat for the day if you haven't already.)

DAY 24

The next day, the group wakes up to a warmer day, but not warm enough to be fully out of winter yet.
    (OOC: Good news, just two more in-game weeks and you’ll enter Spring! State what your character is doing today.)

7. - Top - End - #427
    Ettin in the Playground

Sean Pires

"They seem to be coming in cars along the road, so we can trap the road somewhere downhill, but this might trigger on something else, including our reinforcements. I'd say it would be prudent to set up an ambush there after the reinforcements arrive and with mines using remote manual trigger or remote manual enable signal. Will take some waiting, but when they come you'll be able to get at least the first car, maybe more, depending on mine setup, and have some rifles to deal with the rest. Unfortunately, I won't be able to participate. My thermal regulation seems to have failed, so I would just freeze to death. You can start making the required hardware right now. If we reconsider the plan, we could always just sell it."

Spoiler
    Show
    Planning to rest for the day.

8. - Top - End - #428
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Tariq spends half the morning putting together more explosives. Using the jam-tin grenade, a stick of dynamite and some junk, he assembles 7 more Claymore mines and 4 OZM-3s.

After that, he'll go back to strategize further with Sean and Richard.

9. - Top - End - #429
    Ogre in the Playground

(OOC: I think we can call this day done. Mark off another 3 meals for everyone.)
    The rest of the day goes by without incident.

DAY 25

The radio room receives a message from the Waffle House in the morning. The message says that the info on the spy has been passed on, good work.
    Later that morning, another carload of guards from the Waffle House rolls up and introduces themselves as the requested reinforcements.

10. - Top - End - #430
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Shoot Da Moon View Post
    (OOC: I think we can call this day done. Mark off another 3 meals for everyone.)

DAY 25

The radio room receives a message from the Waffle House in the morning. The message says that the info on the spy has been passed on, good work.
    Later that morning, another carload of guards from the Waffle House rolls up and introduces themselves as the requested reinforcements.
    Tariq will fill the new arrivals in on the attacks, and asks, "Are we expecting anyone else from your way? We were thinking of setting up some triggered explosives down the road to catch the next attack, but didn't want anyone on our side, or an innocent, by accident."

11. - Top - End - #431
    Firbolg in the Playground

While Tariq talks to the newcomers, Richard pulls the leader of the existing guards aside. "You recognise these people, right? Those prisoners talked about them having spies, so I just want to make sure this isn't a situation like that."

12. - Top - End - #432
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GnomesofZurich2 View Post
    Tariq will fill the new arrivals in on the attacks, and asks, "Are we expecting anyone else from your way? We were thinking of setting up some triggered explosives down the road to catch the next attack, but didn't want anyone on our side, or an innocent, by accident."
    The reinforcements confirm no-one else is currently coming from the Waffle House. But booby-trapping the road might kill some innocent random passer-by, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Volthawk View Post
    While Tariq talks to the newcomers, Richard pulls the leader of the existing guards aside. "You recognise these people, right? Those prisoners talked about them having spies, so I just want to make sure this isn't a situation like that."
    The guards confirm they are legit.

13. - Top - End - #433
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shoot Da Moon View Post
    But booby-trapping the road might kill some innocent random passer-by, right?
    That's why Sean proposes it to be a manned position. Right now, after half a day of strategizing with Tariq and Richard, Sean has two plans that might be implemented. Plan A is to sit still at the base and do nothing much. This would be easy and comfortable for the troops, but the flip side is that we risk having unnecessary casualties against any attack expecting just that. Plan B requires more work and spending days camping in the open (probably not nights, though, Sean does not expect a night attack, but this might be debated). Plan B goes roughly as follows: we choose a nice hiding place not far from the road some distance downhill from the base. This spot should feature a possibility to look and shoot at the road and a possibility of retreat from the toad and to the base. We prepare a fighting position there, possibly up to foxholes or sandbags, as long as we can keep it well-camouflaged. We place the mines as follows. Two claimores on the opposite sides of the road with a trip-wire across the road. The near claimore is to face directly across the road. The far claymore is to be turned so that it does not affect our position (maybe also directly across the road if our position is far enough or turned to face more of the approaching road). Four more claimores should be set on both sides of the road leading to that point, with trip-wires parallel to the road. These are to trigger on anyone trying to leave the road or to u-turn a car. The remaining claymore should be set in front of our position, either with a trip-wire or in manually-controlled mode. The OZMs should be either placed to cover it too or otherwise placed further along the road in case something is not stopped by claymores. That way the personnel would be able to shout at the passers-by to let them stop for inspection before they reach the mines. The cars are probably out of luck as Sean does not have a way to reliably identify which car should be targeted and which should not, but given that this road is otherwise a dead-end, the risk might be acceptable. If the trap is triggered by several cars, the people manning the position should first target the last car (likely the driver, but maybe also the engine) and then cover the whole thing with enough fire to prevent trapped people from thinking too much. Sean asks what plan the guards would like to adopt (either A, B, or something of their own).

Spoiler
    Show
    The prisoners are now fully eligible to be released, but Sean would like to delay that further in case the guards adopt plan B.

14. - Top - End - #434
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by u-b View Post
    That's why Sean proposes it to be a manned position. Right now, after half a day of strategizing with Tariq and Richard, Sean has two plans that might be implemented. Plan A is to sit still at the base and do nothing much. This would be easy and comfortable for the troops, but the flip side is that we risk having unnecessary casualties against any attack expecting just that. Plan B requires more work and spending days camping in the open (probably not nights, though, Sean does not expect a night attack, but this might be debated). Plan B goes roughly as follows: we choose a nice hiding place not far from the road some distance downhill from the base. This spot should feature a possibility to look and shoot at the road and a possibility of retreat from the toad and to the base. We prepare a fighting position there, possibly up to foxholes or sandbags, as long as we can keep it well-camouflaged. We place the mines as follows. Two claimores on the opposite sides of the road with a trip-wire across the road. The near claimore is to face directly across the road. The far claymore is to be turned so that it does not affect our position (maybe also directly across the road if our position is far enough or turned to face more of the approaching road). Four more claimores should be set on both sides of the road leading to that point, with trip-wires parallel to the road. These are to trigger on anyone trying to leave the road or to u-turn a car. The remaining claymore should be set in front of our position, either with a trip-wire or in manually-controlled mode. The OZMs should be either placed to cover it too or otherwise placed further along the road in case something is not stopped by claymores. That way the personnel would be able to shout at the passers-by to let them stop for inspection before they reach the mines. The cars are probably out of luck as Sean does not have a way to reliably identify which car should be targeted and which should not, but given that this road is otherwise a dead-end, the risk might be acceptable. If the trap is triggered by several cars, the people manning the position should first target the last car (likely the driver, but maybe also the engine) and then cover the whole thing with enough fire to prevent trapped people from thinking too much. Sean asks what plan the guards would like to adopt (either A, B, or something of their own).

Spoiler
    Show
    The prisoners are now fully eligible to be released, but Sean would like to delay that further in case the guards adopt plan B.
    The guards are doubtful that there is a good enough observation spot for Plan B. They point out that they could just escape to The Gutter in the case of an overwhelming attack. The entrance can be locked down easily by the techs once everyone is evacuated, and the land mines and fence should buy them enough time to do so. Of course, they'll have to make sure The Gutter is safe enough, first...

15. - Top - End - #435
    Ettin in the Playground

Sean Pires

If Sean cannot remember a prospective spot off the top of his head, he lets the guards perform their duty as they see fit. He asks if they have specific plans regarding exploring the gutter and whether they need any help with that.

If there are no objections, Sean blindfolds the prisoners, then, with Tariq's assistance, leads them safely out of the base and lets them go somewhere out of the immediate sight of the path they have taken past the fence. He congratulates them on this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity hey have seized and adds that he is not expecting them back. He watches them go for some short time, then returns to the base.

16. - Top - End - #436
    Ogre in the Playground

Sean Pires

If Sean cannot remember a prospective spot off the top of his head, he lets the guards perform their duty as they see fit. He asks if they have specific plans regarding exploring the gutter and whether they need any help with that.

If there are no objections, Sean blindfolds the prisoners, then, with Tariq's assistance, leads them safely out of the base and lets them go somewhere out of the immediate sight of the path they have taken past the fence. He congratulates them on this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity hey have seized and adds that he is not expecting them back. He watches them go for some short time, then returns to the base.
    The guards will just make sure there is at least one safe room just past the entrance to The Gutter. The guards don't need any help with that. Once they have established a secure bolt hole, they can explore The Gutter when they have the chance. As long as the bolt hole stays safe, exploring the rest of The Gutter is not a priority.

Releasing the prisoners goes off without a hitch. The formerly captured raiders are eager to see the last of the radar base.
    Last edited by Shoot Da Moon; 2021-02-27 at 08:16 AM.

17. - Top - End - #437
    Ogre in the Playground

DAY 26

The next morning is uneventful. According to the radio room techs, no-one is reporting any raider activity nearby. Maybe there won't be another attack?

18. - Top - End - #438
    Ettin in the Playground

Sean Pires

Sean responds that he would be quite satisfied if this turns out to be the case. He asks if arms dealers in Gunmetal have a wide assortment of guns and equipment ready at hand or can prepare a specific order for pickup or maybe even deliver it here, if we agree to the terms.

Also, Sean asks Tariq to guesstimate if there is some drain somewhere to get rid of the standing water (opening into the gutter or wherever it is supposed to be opening). Sean says he might be willing to dive for it some time, but would like to have a good guess as to where it is.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sean will rest for the day, but starts to make plans for when everyone is healthy.

19. - Top - End - #439
    Ogre in the Playground

Sean Pires

Sean responds that he would be quite satisfied if this turns out to be the case. He asks if arms dealers in Gunmetal have a wide assortment of guns and equipment ready at hand or can prepare a specific order for pickup or maybe even deliver it here, if we agree to the terms.
    The guards respond that you can find a lot of things for sale in Gunmetal, even special order something custom if you have the time and barter goods. But delivery is right out.

20. - Top - End - #440
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Tariq will spend some time familiarizing himself with the car, if practical he could take it for a slow test drive (OOC driving at default, so skill 8).

21. - Top - End - #441
    Ogre in the Playground

(OOC: I think we can call this day done. Mark off another 3 meals for everyone. Tariq, do you have a Character Point to learn the Driving skill?)

Tariq handles the car with tentative care, finding it made unreliable by wear and tear.
    Night falls on the base as the guards report back that the entrance to The Gutter is safe enough to be a fallback point.

DAY 27

The next morning opens warmer than the last. Slightly more animals are running about today.

22. - Top - End - #442
    Ettin in the Playground

Sean Pires

Seeing a nice day with more than usual animal activity close to the base, Sean decides to risk a quick hunting trip. But first, he teams up with Simone to try to locate and operate the drain control to let the water level drop before he is back.

Spoiler
    Show
    The hunting is at -2 penalty for less time spent. I presume this penalty applies to complimentary skills too. Will fail to catch anything unless there are circumstantial bonuses, like fresh tracks just past the fence or what not.
    Last edited by u-b; 2021-03-02 at 06:54 AM.

23. - Top - End - #443
    Ogre in the Playground

Sean comes back from the hunting trip empty handed as Simone activates the found control panel in the basement and starts draining the flooded rooms. He stays warm enough to avoid suffering a painful chill.

The process of emptying the water will take another hour as the pool goes down the drain and is jetted out of a pipe down the east side of the hill outside.

24. - Top - End - #444
    Ettin in the Playground

Sean Pires

Sean observes the process, both outside and inside the building, in case it ever seems like a good idea to stop it. He does not expect this to happen, but if anything unexpected appears, he would stop the process and take some time to observe it and decide whether those things are better kept under the water.

Spoiler
    Show
    Doing not much else for the rest of that hour.

25. - Top - End - #445
    Ogre in the Playground

Sean finds no unusual creatures in the newly drained basement. The still wet rooms appear to be multiple storage areas, all of them somewhat wrecked and rusted. It seems the original purpose of the rooms was to store ammo, weapons and military gear here, before it got looted and flooded.

(OOC: The drained rooms are at -3 to scavenge. There are 5 new rooms drained and now accessible, including an exit to the outside.)

26. - Top - End - #446
    Ettin in the Playground

Sean Pires

After the water has been drained, Sean takes a quick tour around the newly-accessible rooms, then starts to search them properly, one by one. Today he does the room featuring the entrance. This is to let Tariq trap the access sooner rather than later.

Spoiler
    Show
    Any idea how this was flooded and heated? I mean, it did not freeze for some reason, and if the flooding was artifical it would be good to know whether it can be repeated.

27. - Top - End - #447
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Tariq will accompany Sean in his searching, if for nothing more than to provide company and another set of eyes in case there is something lurking in the Gutter.

28. - Top - End - #448
    Ogre in the Playground

Sean finds the flooded sections were kept heated by heavily waterproofed metal coils that are powered by an electrical grid coming from The Gutter. The basement seems to be flooded thanks to an open door to the outside - did someone close the drain and then simply dump a bunch of melted snow down the ramp?

Over the next 8 hours of scavenging, the exile happens upon a big pile of junk weighing a total of 400 pounds and buried inside is a sealed case that contains an outdated gas mask, one with a seperate chest-mounted filter connected to the mask by a hose.

(OOC: $40 of junk. TL 6 gas mask - face and eyes DR 2, weighs 4 lbs., -2 to hit the hose and expose the wearer to the environment.)

29. - Top - End - #449
    Ogre in the Playground

Night falls upon the base as Sean brings back the discovered stuff from the basement.

DAY 28

The next day, the exiles wake up to a quiet morning.

30. - Top - End - #450
    Ettin in the Playground

Sean Pires

Starting in the morning, Sean proceeds to search other basement rooms. He goes over three rooms today and intends to finish with the basement some time tomorrow. Neither of this shoud prevent Tariq from setting traps around the entrance to the room already searched yesterday.

Spoiler
    Show
    Day 27 food marked off.