New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Worse Than the Disease IC

Sean Pires

"North along 91st and then some north-east? Can do. A long way to go, though. Do you know those controlling the territory we are to go through? Do you have relations with them? What deal would you propose to those who control the base now, if anyone does? How do we report the success? I mean, do you have a short wave transceiver? Receiver?"

Spoiler
    Show
    What's Sean's estimate of the depth of the snow on 91st now? If it is generally raised above the surrounding terrain, might be not all that much because the wind would blow away the snow, but not sure.
    Last edited by u-b; 2020-10-04 at 12:45 PM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Simone Sparks

Simone is practically bouncing on her feet. "If you don't have a transeiver radio I could probably make one. If you have electronic parts handy. They're not really that complicated. Just need an antenna, something to act as a microphone and speaker, an amplifier..." She pulls her transistor radio out of her pack. "I could probably turn this into a two-way radio with some fiddling and some parts, too! Like... a microphone, an oscilator..." She sighs. "Really wish I could've brought my tools. But nooo, 'they belong to the Shelter', even if I built half of them..."
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

"Yeah, we have a working radio. If you get the radar station up, we'll be able to make contact, no problem." The man points to his equipment. He gives you the frequency for the Waffle House radio.

The woman glances over the map. "The territory between here and there is pretty much a free-for-all. No-one really claims that turf as their own. We mostly deal with other settlements, especially the big cities. If the radar station is occupied, try to be diplomatic, okay? Unless the raiders are there, then get rid of them before they get rid of you. Fix up the station, and then use the equipment to call us when you are done."

(OOC: The terrain is probably Snow for the purposes of travel.)
    Anachronism will never high-light the folly of my convictions!

4. - Top - End - #34
    Firbolg in the Playground

Richard smiles as the others get a bit more vocal and show their specialities - this felt like a good group of people he'd found himself exiled with.

"Do the other settlements send people out into the area we're heading through? If we come across anyone who isn't one of these raiders, it would be useful to have an idea who we might be dealing with. Also, to your knowledge, is anyone else aware of this place? I presume it's not particularly well-known, if you think it's still untouched, but still, could anyone else you know of be sending people out there? Are you planning on sending more people out after we secure the base, or can you operate it remotely?"

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

The woman nods. "Yeah, lots of traffic through that area. The big cities have plenty to trade. You can tell who is from Red Brick pretty easily, they're all a bunch of street-rats and druggies. The boys from Gunmetal will have major league shooting irons. Bread Basket folks are pretty shy, they keep to themselves, they usually sell food to everyone."

The man speaks up. "We don't think anyone else knows about the radar station. It's pretty remote, most people don't wanna go up too far into the mountains. They think there's rocks that eat people there."

The man then receives another call on the radio, leaving the woman to explain. "Once you get the station working, we can send some more people there to take over. But you can stay there as long as you want, as a favour."

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

Sean Pires

"One last thing. We are pretty low on equipment. I'm mostly concerned with the fact that or all four only I have the skis, and since we are planning a rather long trip... I understand it's not quite normal to just barge in and ask for gear, but if you would be willing to risk it, it would have greatly improved our chances."

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Simone Sparks

Simone pulls her multitool out of her pocket and holds it up. "And unless you expect me to repair an entire radar station with this and a crowbar, I'd appreciate it if you'd lend me some extra gear too!"

She lets her hand drop again. "Also I am just realising I forgot to pack food."
    Last edited by Yuki Akuma; 2020-10-05 at 01:47 PM.

Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

8. - Top - End - #38
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Tariq Sandoval

Tariq is fine letting the others brief the guards on the Shelter. He is highly doubtful the Shelter would want to get involved in any war, much less on the say-so of four exiles. He does say, "I've had some training as a sapper, if that could help your war effort."

When Sean broaches the subject of gear, Tariq perks up. "If we're going to be trekking in the snow, I could use some winter gear...boots, gloves, hat, parka...", gesturing to his coveralls, "I don't think this will be sufficient."

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

The woman sighs a little, but she takes you all over to a line of storage lockers. "Okay, we can get equipped with snowshoes..."
    She hands over three pairs of snowshoes (Sean has his skies).
    (OOC: Each pair weighs 5 lbs.)

"As for food..." The woman opens an icebox and takes out 9 rations, giving them to Simone. "Pity we can't spare any toolkits. See if you can't find anything at the radar base. Or try scavenging in some ruins. If you have a lot of bullets, you could buy them from a trader, maybe?"
    (OOC: 9 rations weighs 4.5 lbs.)

"And warmer clothing is no problem. We have plenty of fur outfits to go around." The woman cheerfully gives Tariq the stuff off a big rack of hangers.
    (OOC: Only weighs 1 lbs.)

10. - Top - End - #40
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Shoot Da Moon View Post
    The woman sighs a little, but she takes you all over to a line of storage lockers. "Okay, we can get equipped with snowshoes..."
    She hands over three pairs of snowshoes (Sean has his skies).
    (OOC: Each pair weighs 5 lbs.)

"And warmer clothing is no problem. We have plenty of fur outfits to go around." The woman cheerfully gives Tariq the stuff off a big rack of hangers.
    (OOC: Only weighs 1 lbs.)
    Tariq eagerly takes the fur outfit, and somewhat more dubiously, the snowshoes. "Thanks! Can we overnight here before we set out? That's going to be quite the trek, better to get some rest and start early."

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Simone Sparks

Simone chuckles in that way people do when they're anxious. "I'll pay you back for this," she says, taking the food gratefully and stuffing it in her backpack - this thing is getting pretty full! "Seriously, what was I thinking, I brought a tent and forgot to bring food..."

12. - Top - End - #42

Richard takes his snowshoes and furs with a grateful smile, before pausing."I feel bad asking for this much already, but you wouldn't happen to have a spare backpack or bag or something in there, would you? They weren't exactly generous about what they let us leave the Shelter with, and I had to choose other things over a bag, if I'm to keep this lot safe."

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

The woman hands Richard a hessian sack with a rope and belt tie.

(OOC: The sack holds up to 40 lbs.)

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ettin in the Playground

Sean Pires

Since the rest of the group decided to postpone the departure until the morning, Sean thought he should also do something useful during what time remains of today. He left most of his heavy gear in town, taking only the empty backpack and the weapons, and went to retrieve two other dead dogs. The plan was to cook some stuff for today and tomorrow, prepare the rest of the meat for later use and barter what would remain for any profit at all.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Simone Sparks

Simone makes sure all of her new stuff is stashed away safely, before spending the rest of the day wandering around the encampment, introducing herself and offering her services for anyone who happens to have broken tech she has a chance of fixing. She likes to be helpful, after all - and hey, letting everyone know she can fix almost anything electronic is bound to help in the long run.

Probably.

Or it'll get her kidnapped by raiders. Whatever.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

Worse Than the Disease

The workday and night at the encampment passes by peacefully. The group manages to tend to their business without incident and earns their keep. When night falls, they bunk down in the shantytown, surrounded by their fellow wastelanders.

DAY 2

The next morning, they are refreshed and eat their breakfasts.
    Last edited by Shoot Da Moon; 2020-10-11 at 05:05 PM.

17. - Top - End - #47

Richard spends the free time until they set off within the settlement - his skills don't exactly lend themselves to hiring himself out for a few hours, so he focuses more on finding out about the settlement - if this radar station job goes well, they'll have a safe port of call here, and it'll pay to know who's here. If nothing else, it just felt nice to be walking the streets and talking to people again - sure, the Waffle House wasn't the Shelter, but it still reminded him of better times.

----------
    As Richard finishes the last of his rations, he looks around at the shantytown they're in, before looking at the others with an expression of curiosity.

"So, what do you think? About the people here, about the world out here? They seem like good people, given the circumstances."
    Last edited by Volthawk; 2020-10-07 at 03:56 PM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

Simone Sparks

"There's definitely far less psychotic murderers than Gramma lead me to believe there would be. So far, at least. The total lack of running water or an electricity grid is kinda starting to annoy me though..." Simone says over breakfast.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Tariq Sandoval

Since it's only a short walk, before the party leaves Tariq is going to head back to the bodies they found to see if any of them might be wearing boots in his size - it would be better than the shoes he is wearing. He'll also take at look at their clothing to see if there's anything salvageable.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

Worse Than the Disease

The dead men were picked over before the group found them (although not as much as they could have been).
    The dead men are not wearing footwear or heavy clothing - they were probably taken off first by their killers. Only the lightest layers remain.

The rest of the stuff was either taken by the group, or by the killers.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

In the morning, after breakfast, Tariq encourages his companions to get started on their journey. "I say we get started. This trip is going to take a while, may as well get some miles under our belts."

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ettin in the Playground

Sean Pires

Sean nods, rearranges some of the load among the group to accomodate the windfall of rations without adversely affection the party's speed, and is good to go. He'll lead the group the most prudent route to road 91 with the intention to come along it northwards in the subsequent days.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

Worse Than the Disease

The 110-mile journey to the radar base in the mountains will take the group through the snow, woodland, and ruined roads. For 8 hours, the group travels in hard conditions.

(OOC: The lowest effective Move in the party decides how many miles they move on the first day of travel - anyone with a higher effective Move can scout.)

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

(OOC: Just in case it is not clear; I'm waiting on all the players to describe setting out, and any rolls they're making. Then I post again. Any problems, players?)

25. - Top - End - #55

(OOC: Sorry, just been a little unwell and out of it for the last day or two.)

Sack full of food slung over his shoulder, Richard walks confidently across the snow (at least, once he figures out how to get around with snowshoes on). This wasn't anything he was used to, and life in the Shelter hadn't exactly equipped him with skills for being outdoors, but he wasn't going to let anything like that stop him approaching the situation with the surety that they'd figure it out well enough. So far, that seemed to be working, with Sean's help - they were definitely lucky to have been exiled with someone who'd been out here before. It wasn't comfortable, sure, no amount of overconfidence and fur clothing could deny that, but still.

He does still keep alert as best he can in the conditions, keeping a hand free if he can help it to quickly grab his weapon if someone dangerous appears in the snow or trees. He might be a trusting sort, but the conversation they'd had with the Waffle House's leadership had made it clear that there could be dangerous people out here, although part of him was still pretty sure he'd be able to talk out any problems they came across.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

Worse Than the Disease

The group of former Sheltered move across the Vermont countryside for hours.
    Just before the sun goes down, they stumble upon a ghastly sight; 5 dead people, all of them hanging from a covered bridge, joining the icicles in waving slightly in the wind.

The party's lookout spies no movement or life in the surrounding area. But should they disturb the dead?

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ettin in the Playground

Sean Pires

"People are usually hanged for a reason and by those able to actually do it. I wouldn't want to provoke consequences unless there is a reason to. Give me a moment." says Sean starting to examine the area, but not yet touching the dead.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ettin in the Playground

Sean Pires

"These don't seem to be thoroughly looted, so we have a reason right here. No traffic in last couple of days, so we can well get away with it even if someone cares about keeping them hanging. I say we give it a try. Objections?" says Sean getting ready to proceed.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Tariq nods and eyes up the bodies, "Well, I could use a pair of boots..."

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

(OOC: sorry if this is jumping the gun before the other players get a chance to post...)

Worse Than the Disease

Cutting down the bodies reveals something less than encouraging; the backpacks and jackets on the bodies are actually garbage bags and cloth sacks duct-taped together - until the bodies are cut loose and hit the ground. Then, the motley bags come apart, spilling their contents. And the snow below was hiding even more rudimentary bags. All of it seems to hold a lot of cloth patches, wires, cut-up plastic pieces, scrap metal, and animal bones.

Among the detritus, you can find interesting pieces of gear. One dead man is wearing a pair of gauntlets on his hands and a pair of sollerets on his feet. A small knife in good condition is embedded in his stomach, evidence of a nasty stabbing. An empty spare firearm magazine lies discarded on the ground nearby. Two whistles are found in the pants pockets of another dead man along with more junk. The biggest prize, however, is an abused and emptied rifle, an outdated make and model, buried under a metre of snow a dead man fell on.

The five dead people are all men, bullet holes in the back of their head. They all resemble each other, they were certainly all closely related. They were probably hanged after death, as a warning.