New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 28 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #811
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Worse Than the Disease IC

The exiles go further into the dark and towards the car.

The dead man is in a pool of blood that has dried hours ago. He has a black tattoo on his neck - the ace of spades.

The car he was trying to get into is not empty, but only has standard travelling stuff - a map, a empty thermos, a lighter, blankets, small flashlight, and so on. No food or water or weapons...

Looking around, the exiles spot 3 more cars parked in the cave, out of the light. They're all closed, engine off, and locked.

Sean recognises some kind of huge metal structure at the back of the cave complex, past the parked cars. It looks somewhat familiar.
    Anachronism will never high-light the folly of my convictions!

2. - Top - End - #812
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kneeling down to look at the body, Richard frowns. "I suppose they don't take desertion too kindly. Guess that explains why we haven't come across anyone with that tattoo who isn't a part of one of their attacks. I wonder what made this guy decided to leave...or what his plan was for when he got out. Their tattoo being that visible and the reputation of these people wouldn't have made it easy to be a part of normal life out here, and if he was happy with the life of a raider, he'd have just stayed. Unless there's something else going on..." He sighs. "Still, good to know they can have internal problems like any other group, even if it does end up just being outliers like this guy. Shame that they have to deal with it like this, though. Executing dissenters isn't any way to run things.

3. - Top - End - #813
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Tariq looks at the three cars, and asks, "Want me to do something about those? I could rig up some dynamite underneath them."

4. - Top - End - #814
    Ettin in the Playground

"I wonder if we can steal one or two. Should be possible if they only have mechanical locks. Not that I have an idea how to actually to it, but the tools are in our car. By all means, trap the rest. Just let me have a closer look first. Wait here, I will be back soon."

Very carefully, Sean advances towards the other cars and the notable huge metal structure. He looks for traps and any means by which he might be observed, like windows, slits, security cameras and such. Whatever he finds, he then returns to the group to report.

Spoiler
    Show
    If these are TL7 cars, a Mechanic roll or something could get them moving. Getting inside would not be problematic if we don't mind broken windows, so should not require a roll. Sean proposes we take two best-looking car and trap other two, preferably in such a way that triggering either mine would render inoperable both cars. But, we do this only if we are currently not being watched, and preferably actually turn on the engines at about the same time, when we are ready to leave.

5. - Top - End - #815
    Ogre in the Playground

(OOC: The cars are TL 7 sedans, all of them pretty banged up and flawed.)

Sean scans the cave and spots something distressing - a surveillance camera, set into the rock wall and with its red light on. He remembers his Shelter had them to make sure the outside was safe before they let anyone out...

His suspicions are confirmed when he takes a closer look at the metal structure. A set of metal steps up to a metal platform at the back of the cave, where a large vault door has been left open, an entirely man-made dwelling beyond.

On the metal wall besides the platform is white text stencilled in military font.
    "SHELTER 43"

6. - Top - End - #816

"43...that wasn't in the intel we found. Guess they didn't need to remind themselves where home is." Richard eyes the door warily. "We're not going to be able to stay unnoticed for much longer, and there's going to be a lot of them in there. Perhaps it's time to start thinking about pulling back with the information we have - one of the cities will be better equipped to handle a Shelter. Unless we bank on the place being lightly occupied - that it's just one they cleared out and have some people in rather than fully functional and inhabited Shelter aligned to them. Too much of a risk in my eyes."

7. - Top - End - #817
    Ettin in the Playground

"Yeah, the security camera there has a good chance of being able to see in the dark, so it might be a matter of someone looking at the right monitor if we aren't watched already. How about this plan: we take this car, blast the rest, plant some mines to deter the pursuit and get the hell out of here?"

Spoiler
    Show
    The plan in more details is as follows:
    1. Tariq plants one stick of dynamite in each of those three cars, connects those sticks by det cord and lights a 10-minute fuse.
    2. Richard drives the one car for which we have the keys to our car just ahead of...
    3. ...Tariq who plants a claymore at the cave exit and then a claymore at the road near our car

Sean will cover Tariq and then drive our car leading the way to Gunmetal.

8. - Top - End - #818
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Tariq listens to Richard's and Sean's proposals, but points out, "We should take out that camera, too, before I do anything to the cars. That way they're less likely to be prepared for the explosives."

9. - Top - End - #819
    Ettin in the Playground

"Not sure about that. I thought to just blast those cars. Setting up the dynamite should not take too long and would give us some time before the explosion. Using grenade launcher would be even faster, but won't give us time. Properly trapping them might take longer, which is important if we are noticed before we're done. Taking out the camera might or might not be more noticeable than us walking in here. Richard, what's your take on this? I definitely would not try to get in."

10. - Top - End - #820

Richard nods. "We're not going in. We're not prepared for the resistance we might face. Don't think blowing up the camera is a good idea - we might have gotten lucky that they haven't spotted us, but let's not push it by setting off explosions that they might notice before we're ready to leave. Let's just get the explosives set up and get out while the going's good."
    Last edited by Volthawk; 2021-07-01 at 04:53 PM.

11. - Top - End - #821
    Ogre in the Playground

(OOC: Returning to Gunmetal, or going somewhere else?)

12. - Top - End - #822
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Volthawk View Post
    Richard nods. "We're not going in. We're not prepared for the resistance we might face. Don't think blowing up the camera is a good idea - we might have gotten lucky that they haven't spotted us, but let's not push it by setting off explosions that they might notice before we're ready to leave. Let's just get the explosives set up and get out while the going's good."
    Tariq says, "I figured one of you could just shoot it, but if want to leave it, that's fine." He will then proceed with the plan of rigging the cars to blow and then setting up the claymores.

13. - Top - End - #823
    Ogre in the Playground

The exiles drive 11 miles back to Gunmetal, taking a hour and a bit of gasoline.
    It is a safe and uneventful journey.

By the time, they have parked at Gunmetal, the sun is down and the night is young. The frost is building on every surface.

14. - Top - End - #824
    Ettin in the Playground

Sean lets Richard arrange for the stay and takes some time to check and arrange the findings, using a flashlight if necessary.

Spoiler
    Show
    1. Do we have another TL7 sedan? What about the flaws?
    2. Sean takes time to examine the map found in the car.
    3. Sean takes time to search the car for anything else of value (How many blankets? What TL flashlight? Any batteries in it? Anything else?).

I've marked off the food for today.

15. - Top - End - #825
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by u-b View Post
    Sean lets Richard arrange for the stay and takes some time to check and arrange the findings, using a flashlight if necessary.

Spoiler
    Show
    1. Do we have another TL7 sedan? What about the flaws?
    2. Sean takes time to examine the map found in the car.
    3. Sean takes time to search the car for anything else of value (How many blankets? What TL flashlight? Any batteries in it? Anything else?).

I've marked off the food for today.
    The overnight stay in a local "hotel" in Gunmetal will cost a mere 1 pistol bullet ($5) per person.

Spoiler
    Show
    1) Presumably, if that second Driving roll meant Tariq took one. It has 6 flaws (-30% Range, -30% Top Speed), for -60% value.
    2) The map appears to be a normal road atlas...until Sean finds various red markings all over various landmarks and major roads. More pseudo-military jargon. Coffee stains and some tearing.
    3) 3 Blankets. TL 6 flashlight. Two batteries in it. 6 empty plastic bottles. A small medicine bottle containing 9 heroin pills.

16. - Top - End - #826
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Tariq says, "Let me see that" to Sean regarding the road atlas, and tries to decipher the markings.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Tariq succeeded by 2 on a Soldier roll to figure out the markings

17. - Top - End - #827
    Ogre in the Playground

The exiles bunk down for the night in a Gunmetal flophouse with other travellers. They eat some meals and go to sleep.

DAY 45

Over breakfast, Tariq studies the map's codes and comes to the conclusion that they mark out areas of the region that the raiders routinely set up ambushes in, a few notes on the terrain, entrances to The Gutter, and some bolt holes they have prepared. The Shelter 43 was one of those bolt holes, but it was marked abandoned and not claimed by anyone, the raiders are instructed to only use if the Shelter is fully secured by the bad guys.

Other bolt holes are two camp grounds out of the way and off the roads...and "Shelter 38." The raiders have apparently attacked the Shelter in the past, clearing it out and leaving abandoned except for when they need a secret hideout.

(OOC: Mark off the rations eaten.)

18. - Top - End - #828
    Ettin in the Playground

"Interesting. So, Shelter 43 is just a bolt hole. They had the cars and the bikes, so probably they have intended to sit there for some time and escape through the same front door. Is there a mark that that shelter it is connected to The Gutter? If not, we can try to camp outside and wait for them to come out or more transport to come in."

Spoiler
    Show
    Rations marked off.

19. - Top - End - #829

"That explains why 38 was on the first map, I suppose. Once the ones in 43 are dealt with, it might be worth giving the other boltholes - even if they don't have anyone hiding out in them when we get to them, perhaps we could lay a few traps in them and grab what's there, so next time they need to hide out they find their safe havens aren't so safe, interfere with their ability to act freely around here a little. As for 43...they're going to know that they're compromised now, between anything they saw of us on the cameras and the blown up cars, but they're stuck there unless they decide to risk walking to safety. From what we've seen of their gear, they're not equipped for long hikes across the snow, so I figure they'll probably hole up - it seems reasonable to assume they'll be able to contact their people from in there, so they're probably just waiting it out until transport arrives." He looks over at their maps again thoughtfully. "So I suppose the next question is how long they're going to have to wait - don't want their reinforcements coming up behind us if we can help it. Tough to say. If they have people in another bolthole and they come to help, we can estimate how long it'll take, but the real problem will be if they have another warband roaming around closer by who can divert to 43..."

20. - Top - End - #830
    Ettin in the Playground

"A full-fledged warband would indeed be a problem. How about we drive there now, but take a totally different route, leave our car in a different place and just pretend we're not there. We can observe the entrance and see if there is any activity, ready to shoot if we feel like it. If there is none for two days, we can pull back to the Snowbunnies and see if they got any fresh sizzling info and whether they want to inflict some recompense in that or any other place."

Spoiler
    Show
    How much to have a car securely parked in Gunmetal?
    Last edited by u-b; 2021-07-04 at 05:29 AM.

21. - Top - End - #831
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    How much to have a car securely parked in Gunmetal?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Roll Merchant skill. Base price is (5% of the goods cost - in this case, the car) in barter and goods for a week.

22. - Top - End - #832

Richard nods. "Sounds sensible. While we're in the area, I'd like to update Gunmetal's intel people on the boltholes. The more we get the word out about how these guys operate and where they go, the less freely they can run around out here."
    Last edited by Volthawk; 2021-07-04 at 03:49 PM.

23. - Top - End - #833
    Ogre in the Playground

Richard radios the intelligence officer from before.
    He receives Richard's new information with grace.
    "Great job, sir. You were wise to avoid the Shelter, it sounds like it's a real rat's nest. The Vermont Rangers should hear about this, they're the ones best equipped to deal with that."

The radio man checks his own files and passes on some useful information of his own to Richard. "Go to Red Brick and talk to Major Chalmers, he’s the Rangers’ man in the city. He’ll help you out. Sounds like a job for him."

24. - Top - End - #834

Richard relays the information to the others. "So what do you think about these Ranger people? You were talking about hiring on more people for this, Sean, seems to me like this way we probably don't have to pay, they'll presumably be better than the average hired gun we might find, and by including them if this goes well it'll be another of the groups out here thinking better of us than they did before, and that'll never hurt."

25. - Top - End - #835
    Ettin in the Playground

"A well-motivated and well-organized group is certainly better than some random hires. I won't mind if they even take over this whole enterprise, preferably with us still being a part of it. They'll probably insist on being in charge, not to put their troops under command of unknown bunch of people. We talk to them and see how it goes."

Then Sean takes out his notepad, opens it on a page and hands it to Richard.

"Continuing our discussion about replacing some gear, I've thought about it overnight, made some notes and come up with a few more ideas, so please take a look. We probably should start to practice lockpicking sooner or later, in case we find more gamblers' cars. Should be quicker and more practical than rewiring them to work without key. We have to fill the tank of the new car. And there's the lot of options regarding getting you armored, which you should probably discuss with local merchants."

Spoiler
    Show
    As for the shopping list, I'd like the GM to comment on availability and Richard to comment on desirability. I have included a TL5 Studded Leather Skirt option, which does not seem to be a thing, but is pretty much in line with doubling the DR of metal parts. Assuming it's "skirt length" some Shin Guards could be also employed.
    Last edited by u-b; 2021-07-05 at 01:18 PM.

26. - Top - End - #836
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    As for the shopping list, I'd like the GM to comment on availability and Richard to comment on desirability. I have included a TL5 Studded Leather Skirt option, which does not seem to be a thing, but is pretty much in line with doubling the DR of metal parts. Assuming it's "skirt length" some Shin Guards could be also employed.
    (OOC: Gunmetal merchants have all of that. The TL7 cup armour and the rest of the stuff on there is available for purchase, no need for a roll. Just pay the given prices.)

27. - Top - End - #837
    Ettin in the Playground

After the shopping is finished and the question of what to do next has to be addressed, Sean proposes to go with the recent Funny Platoon suggestion and go to Red Brick and talk to Major Chalmers. The quickest and cheapest way would be probably drive two cars straight from here to there.

28. - Top - End - #838
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Tariq agrees with this plan, but asks, "Who should be in each car?"

29. - Top - End - #839
    Ogre in the Playground

(OOC: Red Brick is 100 miles away from where you are now. Sean's rolls are good enough to avoid most unpleasantness, knock on wood.)

30. - Top - End - #840
    Ogre in the Playground

Just over 9 hours later, the exiles have driven their cars over to the city of Red Brick.

In the afternoon, the city takes a slightly sinister air, the titular rough red mortar of the buildings draw long shadows and show their uneven decay that much grimly. A shanty town of those refused entry past the outer gates but too harmless or tough to be simply driven away has congealed for a block, sleeping in their cars, burning fuel in barrels for warmth and light, penny-ante gambling, drinking, drugs, prostitutes, petty crime, and pathetic hawking of (probably stolen) wares.

The gate into Red Brick proper is well-fortified with metal and height, guarded by gangs of men in metal armor and wielding weapons openly. Signs warn of execution for those who do not submit to security protocols. The exiles drive past the shanty towners and stop at the gate, next to the sign that says "Red Mark of Citizenship required for entry past gate", waiting for the guard to approach.

"Haven't seen you folks before..." The leader of the gate thugs says, dressed in his decorated protection gear. "Do you have business inside Red Brick?" He nods towards the gates, flanked by sniper towers and pseudo-bunkers.