New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Worse Than the Disease IC

Disregarding the gathered supplies for a moment, Richard kneels by one of the corpses, examining the wound thoughtfully. He'd known that justice would be a little rougher out here, but...execution and hanging the bodies as a warning? He couldn't help but wonder what they did to deserve it...

Standing up, he walks over to pick up the rifle, looking it over and seeing how it felt to carry and aim. It still felt strange to scavenge off the dead, but he supposed that was the kind of world there were in now.

"Sean, any idea who these people were with, or who did this? If we're coming into the territory of the kind of people who deal with problems this way, we need to be cautious."
    Last edited by Volthawk; 2020-10-14 at 04:18 PM.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ettin in the Playground

Sean Pires

Sean thinks about Richard's question, then shakes his head. "Nah. Heard something strange, but nothing I can trust. That said, should we hang these people back in place? I guess, we are keeping good stuff."

3. - Top - End - #63

Richard shakes his head. "No. The dead deserve better than that. But yes, take what we need, it's not like it will help them much." He holds out the rifle. "Any of you any good with this? I've got my revolver, and we need as many of us armed as possible, so someone else take it."

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ettin in the Playground

Sean Pires

"As you can see, I have a spear and a crossbow. Mainly for hunting, but I can self-defend in a pinch. So, while I am good with rifles, I would prefer to arm Simone or Tariq, if they can use any weapon we have, noting that gauntlets are also a weapon, if one knows how to brawl. I'll haul everything not otherwise taken. At our current pace, I can keep up carrying more than would fit in the pack."
    Last edited by u-b; 2020-10-16 at 11:32 AM.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by u-b View Post
    Sean Pires

"As yo can see, I have a spear and a crossbow. Mainly for hunting, but I can self-defend in a pinch. So, while I am good with rifles, I would prefer to arm Simone or Tariq, if they can use any weapon we have, noting that gauntlets are also a weapon, if one knows how to brawl. I'll haul everything not otherwise taken. At our current pace, I can keep up carrying more than would fit in the pack."
    Tariq replies, "I know my way around a pistol, can't say I've ever used a rifle."

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ettin in the Playground

Sean Pires

"Then I guess you take the pistol, Richard takes the rifle, and everyone is better off." Sean gets five rifle rounds from his pocket, gives them to Richard, and prepares to pack everyhing sans the rifle and junk "Anything else, anyone?"

7. - Top - End - #67

Richard removes his revolver from his belt, then empties his pockets of the bullets brought from the Shelter, handing the lot over to Tariq and replacing the pocket bullets with the rifle rounds. There was never really that much call for rifles when policing an underground city, so Richard wasn't as good as it as he'd be with his pistol, but he was confident he'd do well enough. Slinging the rifle over his shoulder, he walks over to pick up the sack and tent before nodding at Sean.

"Let's go."

8. - Top - End - #68
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Volthawk View Post
    Richard removes his revolver from his belt, then empties his pockets of the bullets brought from the Shelter, handing the lot over to Tariq and replacing the pocket bullets with the rifle rounds. There was never really that much call for rifles when policing an underground city, so Richard wasn't as good as it as he'd be with his pistol, but he was confident he'd do well enough. Slinging the rifle over his shoulder, he walks over to pick up the sack and tent before nodding at Sean.

"Let's go."
    "Hey, thanks!" Tariq is a bit surprised, but pleased with this generosity.
    Last edited by GnomesofZurich2; 2020-10-16 at 05:38 PM.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ettin in the Playground

Sean Pires

Having packed the gear, Sean leads the party onward for some short time until the group has to camp for the night. Sean chooses a spot under some pine trees some distance from the road, makes a fire to boil some snow and proceeds to set up the tents.

Spoiler
    Show
    Suggested guard shifts, in hours: 2-2-4-2 which would give 8 hours of sleep for everyone and 6 hours for Sean. Sean will have the rifle with him on his shift in addition to the spear and the crossbow.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

(OOC: everyone mark off 3 rations for the day.)

When night falls, it is pitch black and even colder than before. Sean finds the campsite to be good for the group. All around the group is a blanket of snow covering thick trees and vast pastures, with the sounds of howling animals occasionally breaking the silence of the night.

During Sean's guard shift, the scout finds his vigil over his comrade's sleep to be interrupted by some lumbering mass of fur and muscle cooking out of the tree line!
    He immediately identifies the beast as a bear...one that is suffering from dehydration as the foam around its mouth implies.

Wait, dehydration? How? There's plenty of snow around...
    Unless the bear is rabid...
    (OOC: welcome to another random encounter. If you managed to set up noise-maker traps, the sleeping party members won't be caught too off-guard...)
    Anachronism will never high-light the folly of my convictions!

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ettin in the Playground

Sean Pires

Sean lets the noise trap jingle. He remains silent and seated, but takes the rifle and aims.

Spoiler
    Show
    A black bear or a brown bear? How far away? Also, what would be the darkness penalties at the moment? I suspect -9 would be for something one step above pitch black (like indoors on a moonless cloudy night), so it's probably brighter, but I'd like a number if possible.

I think I've described two rounds worth of actions, but expecting the bear to react to the trap and/or observe the area, not charging at Sean right away.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by u-b View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    A black bear or a brown bear? How far away? Also, what would be the darkness penalties at the moment? I suspect -9 would be for something one step above pitch black (like indoors on a moonless cloudy night), so it's probably brighter, but I'd like a number if possible.

(OOC: Black bear. 15 yards away. -9 for darkness, except around the campfire (within 6 yards of it, no penalty) - any further out than the bear and it's the full -10. You get one second of Aim. The rest of the party will get a single second of action before I post again.)
    Last edited by Shoot Da Moon; 2020-10-17 at 10:43 PM.

13. - Top - End - #73

Awakening to the sound of bells, something big, angry and furry isn't exactly the most pleasant thing to see first thing in the morning. Starting to rise, he glances over at Sean and sees the rifle trained on the animal - hopefully that would stop it, because Richard didn't relish the prospect of getting between the rest of the group and something that big. He would do it if he needed to, of course, but that didn't mean he liked it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Change Posture from lying down to kneeling.
    Last edited by Volthawk; 2020-10-17 at 11:28 AM.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Tariq jolts awake to the commotion, and scrambles for his entrenching tool when he sees the large silhouette in Richard's sights.

Spoiler
    Show
    Tariq takes a Ready maneuver to grab his entrenching tool.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

Seeing the furred horror shamble towards the campsite, Simone freaks out and grabs her quarterstaff.
    (OOC: Simone Readies her weapon.)

Worse Than the Disease

The bear comes closer, its salvia reflecting the fire in the camp. It looks ready to kill the entire group just for the practice.

(OOC: The bears Moves 8 yards towards the campsite. Sean and Richard are next.)

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ettin in the Playground

Sean Pires

*BANG* - There is a shot. Then there is a shout. - "One rabid black bear!"

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm not sure if people use the tents and the sleeping bags. Judging from the actions, they probably don't, but Sean would.
    Last edited by u-b; 2020-10-20 at 10:22 PM.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

Sean's bullet is on target, but the bear just barely manages to flinch out of the way.

The loud crack of the rifle almost seems to startle the beast, but not enough to get it to break off its attack.

(OOC: Bear Dodged. It'll take 3 Readies to reload the rifle.)

18. - Top - End - #78

Richard grabs his shield as he stands up, getting a grip on it. The rifle missing wasn't a good sign - it looked like he was going to have to get in there.

Spoiler
    Show

Ready to prepare shield, using my step to move from kneeling to standing.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Although his hearing isn't great, the sharp "crack" of the rifle is still enough to make Tariq jump. He feels a sinking sensation in his stomach when he sees the round missed. Clutching his entrenching tool, he rises to his knees.

Spoiler
    Show
    Tariq takes a Change Posture maneuver to go from lying down to kneeling.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

The frightened tech leans on her quarterstaff as she scrambles upward.

(OOC: Simone Changes Posture from sitting to kneeling.)

Worse Than the Disease

The rabid bear rushes forward, closing in on Sean, eager to repay the threat of violence.

(OOC: The bear Moves 7 yards and enters close combat with Sean.)

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ettin in the Playground

Sean Pires

Oh my F***ING luck! "Shoot at it, Tariq!" shouts Sean as he stands up.

22. - Top - End - #82

Seeing the bear close with Sean, Richard leaps into action, charging towards the bear and slamming his shield into its side. It didn't exactly put him in the best position, but it would get the beast's attention away from the others.

Spoiler
    Show

Gonna indulge Richard's protectiveness and be reckless with an All-Out Attack (Determined), moving to 1 yard away and bashing with his shield (Deceptive Attack -4 skill for -2 to its defence roll). Unsure if we're using tactical combat rules, but if so he's presumably attacking from the side for -2 defence.

It'll probably get him swiped for his troubles but hey.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Responding to Sean's shout, as he rises to stand Tariq will drop his entrenching tool and, with a shaking hand, ready the revolver instead.

Spoiler
    Show
    Drop entrenching tool as a free action, Ready his revolver, use his Step to instead go from Kneeling to Standing.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

As Richard's shield charge fails to connect, Simone straightens up and puts up her staff in defense, shaking with fear.

(OOC: Simone steps from kneeling to standing, and All-Out Defends with her quarterstaff.)

Worse Than the Disease

The bear does not seem to register Richard's aggression, and instead bites at Sean - CHOMPING DOWN HARD ON THE MAN'S BELLY AT LIGHTNING FAST SPEED!!

(OOC: The bear attacks Sean, roll your active defence if it hits.
    EDIT/ADD: Never mind, the bear critically hits for 7 points of cutting damage on the torso. Any penetrating injury counts as a major wound!)
    Last edited by Shoot Da Moon; 2020-10-22 at 07:51 PM.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ettin in the Playground

Sean Pires

Sean ignores the wound and makes another step back from the bear, slightly to the side so that when Richard makes his step the bear would be straight in between. He also takes something small out of his pocket. "Defend yourself, man!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Ready a rifle cartrige.

26. - Top - End - #86

Stepping between Sean and the bear, Richard raises his shield, carefully watching the bear to anticipate it's next move.

Spoiler
    Show

Stepping into position and taking an Improved Defence (Double) action to take a Block and Dodge if the bear attacks Richard (working on the assumption a rabid bear will just go for the guy in front of it, hopefully it works out)

27. - Top - End - #87
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Tariq levels the revolver at the bear and carefully squeezes the trigger.

Spoiler
    Show
    All-Out Attack (Determined) to fire the revolver at the bear. Hit for 4 damage, pending defense rolls

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

Tariq's shot hits the flank of the rabid beast, causing a small squib of blood to hit the ground.

Simone furiously steps in and swipes at the bear from the other side with her staff. She hits home, whacking the monster but not killing it.

(OOC: Step, Attack, hit for 3 injury crushing.)

The bear, meanwhile, raises its claw at Richard and brings it down...but the stalwart defender avoids the savage onslaught!

(OOC: Step, Attack, potential hit, but Richard successfully defends.)

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ettin in the Playground

Sean Pires

Sean puts the cartridge into the chamber and steps further back, not staying directly behind Richard, but moving halfway to have the bear between him and Simone.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ready the rifle.

30. - Top - End - #90

It was working. Richard just had to hold the line against this thing until the others could put enough bullets into it to stop it from being a threat. So far, his defence was holding up - he just hoped it would keep being enough.

Spoiler
    Show
    Same as last time, All-Out Defence (Double).